Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin skyline is ugly, why are we not building high rise for modern city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

crushproof wrote: »
    It's already been trimmed down. The surrounding buildings are much lower in fresh plans. No doubt the negotiations have begun and the main tower will gradually be lowered :mad: Headwrecking

1611334887716?e=1614211200&v=beta&t=3YPtjxrG1tF7HMXBQSg-_mlgkMYApeTMF9sJ1zlLQww

I have to say, I quite like it, Dublin needs to go higher, such a low rise city , the city cant keep expanding out.

Hope Ronan gets the permission from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Passenger wrote: »
    Developer Johnny Ronan submits planning application for 45-storey block in city’s north docklands.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Link

Fantastic looking. Very appropriate for the area. Hopefully more follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Fantastic looking. Very appropriate for the area. Hopefully more follow.

Who will be able to afford to live in them?

Or even afford to rent them....yes they look wonderful but who is going to pay 750k+ for an a apartment there. Maybe we should start selling Irish passports to the Chinese like some other cities

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looks ok design wise, but I’m not sure it’s in keeping with the area, height or stylistically... also it seems to be very close to the approach to one of the runways (34) in Dublin airport... that could be a spaniard in the works... we shall wait and see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Strumms wrote: »
    Looks ok design wise, but I’m not sure it’s in keeping with the area, height or stylistically... also it seems to be very close to the approach to one of the runways (34) in Dublin airport... that could be a spaniard in the works... we shall wait and see.

Poolbeg chimneys are closer to the approach and taller. A 155m structure 8km away from a runway isn't insurmountable.

6JVuPF8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Who will be able to afford to live in them?

Or even afford to rent them....yes they look wonderful but who is going to pay 750k+ for an a apartment there. Maybe we should start selling Irish passports to the Chinese like some other cities

We need to build 10 of them to bring down the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Strumms wrote: »

:rolleyes:

A) Keeping with the area? you do realise what this area was before, right?

B) Runway approach...this isn't a factor whatsoever. In any way, shape or form.

You've basically summed up points the nimbys use anytime these buildings are brought up. You forgot "what about Ballymun" though...

The roll eyes aren't an emoji for an effect. I literally rolled my eyes when i read your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Here's hoping that this gets built. A very vague hope as I don't have much hope planning wise or economy wise but christ it would be wonderful to see something like this finally built

waterfront6-jpg.1020265
    waterfront9-jpg.1020374

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

crushproof wrote: »
    Here's hoping that this gets built. A very vague hope as I don't have much hope planning wise or economy wise but christ it would be wonderful to see something like this finally built
    It looks fantastic, and I think it will create a focal point which will transform that end of the docks.

Unfortunately our planning system seems to prefer a million and a half people living in a Hobbiton stretching towards Galway than a modern city with a proper central core.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

By sticking south into its name are they trying to fool prospective buyers what side of the river it's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They should call it The Sheriff Quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Niallof9 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

A) Keeping with the area? you do realise what this area was before, right?

B) Runway approach...this isn't a factor whatsoever. In any way, shape or form.

You've basically summed up points the nimbys use anytime these buildings are brought up. You forgot "what about Ballymun" though...

The roll eyes aren't an emoji for an effect. I literally rolled my eyes when i read your point.

In keeping with the area.. yes, relatively low rise buildings in the immediate locality so these don’t ‘seem’ to be in keeping with the area. Residents and other businesses might object.

Runway approach isn’t a factor ? The height of the buildings may decide that.

As for your last point ? Does that add is anyway to an enlightened civil discussion ? I’m sure you are capable of disagreeing and countering my own opinion with something more ‘to the point’. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The whole area is so choc-a-bloc with fugly buildings one that isnt will be out of keeping with the neighborhood

Kinda hope they build it and when the ribbon is cut the whole lot falls down on Ronans fat head :D

hmmm wrote: »
    It looks fantastic, and I think it will create a focal point which will transform that end of the docks.

Unfortunately our planning system seems to prefer a million and a half people living in a Hobbiton stretching towards Galway than a modern city with a proper central core.

Thats exactly it. If we continue the current strategy, Dublin city will extend to Galway.

I like the original planning permission given to the Brickyards beside the 3 Arena.

A 19 story tower was in the original plans which in 2006 was up for sale for €150 now up for sale for €80 million.

Rumours in the construction sector is Johnny Ronan is very interested in this strategic site.

See link , renders

https://www.brickyardsdublindocklands.com/user_login

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/landmark-dublin-docklands-site-seeks-80m-1.4474359

What makes anyone think that high-rise would be any more attractive?

London's skyline is a mess.

Unless you have something like Paris has and keep the high-rise to a particular district, the skyline will end up worse.

Lived in London for over 10 yrs, I love the skyline, especially in canary Wharf.

Dublin is an expanding city but we dont want to end up like LA.

Highrise is going to happen in Dublin whether you like it or not.

High density living in the city beside good public transport.

As a capital city we have one of the lowest skylines in Europe.

http://www.newsfour.ie/2020/11/dublins-future-skyline-and-a-history-of-high-rise/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

kravmaga wrote: »
    As a capital city we have one of the lowest skylines in Europe.

So does Amsterdam and it's a very dense city. High density does not equal high rise; high rise means units with no amenities to serve them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

strandroad wrote: »
    So does Amsterdam and it's a very dense city. High density does not equal high rise; high rise means units with no amenities to serve them.

The tallest building in Ireland is Capital Dock at 88m. The building Ronan has proposed is 155m. The tallest building in the Netherlands is 165m and they have at least 50 that are over 100m. They have one that is 215m under construction and a few 170m+. The tallest building in Amsterdam is 150m and they have a few over 100m. So, we're talking about building buildings that are similar to ones in the Netherlands and Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_Dublin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Amsterdam

Just compare the two. Dublin only lists 9 building and the ninth tallest building in Dublin is 51m. The list for Amsterdam has 38 buildings in it. The ninth tallest building is 97.5m, nearly twice as high as Dublin's ninth highest building. The smallest one on the list is 65m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes but the primary fabric of Amsterdam is 4 to 8 storey residential streets and that's how it gets its primary density. Why are we cheerleading high rise and not eliminating dereliction to deliver 4-8 infills, when only the latter has a chance to bring enough amenities?

Yes but the primary fabric of Amsterdam is 4 to 8 storey residential streets and that's how it gets its primary density. Why are we cheerleading high rise and not eliminating dereliction to deliver 4-8 infills, when only the latter has a chance to bring enough amenities?

I completely agree with you there. I think we should be doing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I agree, but unfortunately in my opinion there has been so many objections to reasonable development in the city centre that we're well past the point of compromise. The first thing we need to do to ensure that it is a liveable city for everyone is to break the stranglehold on new developments and set a precedent that the city is not just for the privileged few who can afford to live in it. I don't expect this tower to be cheap to live in, but it will set a marker for the future.

hmmm wrote: »
    The first thing we need to do to ensure that it is a liveable city for everyone is to break the stranglehold on new developments and set a precedent that the city is not just for the privileged few who can afford to live in it. I don't expect this tower to be cheap to live in, but it will set a marker for the future.

Or the privileged many who get to live in the city centre in social housing, of which there is sh*tloads. I would love to live in town but it'll never be an option, you either have to be filthy rich or on the housing list.
    I guess I could afford to flatshare but those days are in the past. It's a frustrating situation for those of us who don't want to be in suburbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mrasgar

The 4-8 storey residential streets idea seems ideal, it wouldn't be nice to see high-rise towers full of empty apartments each worth about a million quid like London here.

Disagree with you there, Ive been to Amsterdam and it has a large amount of tall buildings , I know its a high density city as is all of the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Interesting to see how the high rise argument changes with the move to working from home, I'd imagine Irish people will be even less likely to buy apartments in Dublin now - either that or the standard of apartment will really have to ramp up to match European levels, very modern 2 and 3 bedrooms with storage and parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tear down Liberty Hall and replace it with something a bit easier on the eye for a start.
    God, it's ugly!

• Advertisement

Interesting to see how the high rise argument changes with the move to working from home, I'd imagine Irish people will be even less likely to buy apartments in Dublin now - either that or the standard of apartment will really have to ramp up to match European levels, very modern 2 and 3 bedrooms with storage and parking.

Most young people and foreign tech workers etc. would prefer to live in town regardless. And me, if it was affordable!
    I really don't think you'd struggle to fill any flats in and around the city centre regardless of working from home.

Advertisement