Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin skyline is ugly, why are we not building high rise for modern city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I used to work in that building. Roasting hot in summer to the extent they brought in huge industrial scale portable air conditioners or they would have to start sending people home. Baltic cold in the winter, especially the weekends (which I used to work)

The company I worked for were headquartered on floors 14-22 in a Skyscraper on Wall Street in New York. Meanwhile my office was on floor 2. Just a little bit embarrassing if people came to visit.

So not only hideous but completely dysfunctional! And guess who the architects are, Scott Talon Walker, apparently Irelands most progressive modernist architecture firm!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is that not Hubspot?

Is that not Hubspot?

HubSpot are floors 2,3 and 4 with the HubSpot Cafe on the ground floor.

Come to think of it I was on the 1st floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

God, not another "Quarter"'
    Has no one any imagination?
    I still haven't digested 'Central Park'.
    I was scandalised when I thought they had renamed Stephen's Green:D

I like high-rise, and would love to see some beautiful creative designs.

• Advertisement

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    God, not another "Quarter"'
    Has no one any imagination?
    I still haven't digested 'Central Park'.
    I was scandalised when I thought they had renamed Stephen's Green:D

I like high-rise, and would love to see some beautiful creative designs.

I pass Central Park twice a day. 12 kilometres from the centre of the city. And there's no park.

The stillorgan luas stop is a decent 15 minute walk from Stillorgan village but 300 metres from the sandyford luas stop.

All aspects of our infrastructure are completely nonsensical

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Had relatives over a while back, they commented on how ugly most of Dublin city was. In particular the Northside, add to that the junkies and homeless that accosted us on our way home, Dublin city centre is truly a hole.

South inner city is no better than North Inner city, drove through D8., Cork street today, lots of derelict sites on both sides of the street, seen a few beggars ,women wearing Pj's going into the Lidl store also, not a pretty site. Homelessness is not just a North South divide, its a general social issue in the entire city of Dublin.

Relatives over from where? The mainland is it? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

kravmaga wrote: »
    ,women wearing Pj's going into the Lidl store also, not a pretty site.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Chartered Land have planning permission in for the former Hickeys Site beside Heuston Railway Station, Dublin 8.

See links, 29 storey tower, looks great, hope is gets permission.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2199976

https://parkgatestreetshd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Still not a plan of the design; hilarious how the design study references the Uffizi in Florence as an inspiration for the retention of the existing arch. Very random comparison. Disappointed that it seems to be clad in boring cream/yellow stone which presumably has to be imported. It’s not a feature of our landscape (unlike say sandstone in Bath which it apes). Would prefer to see some usage of domestic limestone. Also still think the facade is too disjointed. There are only a limited number of balconies but they are “busy”. On reflection, I think this needs a much higher standard, perhaps even some high-tech architecture with exposed girders/beams interspersed with glass. This could reflect the industrial uses of the surrounding land rather than the bland/pastiche building which is proposed. This is the sort of building to which Prince Charles would not object due to sheer blandness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

It's borr-rring.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Move Dublin port and build housing

Total waste of space down there

The problem is that there is a demand to bring goods directly to major population centres, in this case, as explained in someone else's post, the majority of what is coming in to Dublin port is for within the M50.

Something like Harry Crosbie's land reclamation plan is something that we should go for IMO. The Dutch can do it and we need to think long term. The Environmentalists might not like it but people need to come first.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    May as well stick this here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/sean-mulryan-plans-dublin-s-tallest-tower-at-connolly-station-1.4051295?mode=amp

Planning for 23 story apartment submitted as part of Connolly Quarter. The site of Apollo House which has planning for 11 story office block, application submitted to add 10 floor apartment block on top.

https://theconnollyquartershd1.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The problem is that there is a demand to bring goods directly to major population centres, in this case, as explained in someone else's post, the majority of what is coming in to Dublin port is for within the M50.

Something like Harry Crosbie's land reclamation plan is something that we should go for IMO. The Dutch can do it and we need to think long term. The Environmentalists might not like it but people need to come first.

will the environmentalists like us putting housing over greenfield, miles from where people want to be and at ten times less density?

LOL! SF think this is going to help the housing situation? you would have to start thinking, they dont want to go into government, because never mind the changes that were made to start speeding up the process of supply (which they have) they need to be changed again, to increase minimum densitites etc... Yet he wants to go in the opposite direction, claiming SF want to address housing! L!O!L!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

There you go proof SF are anti housing!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Sextant-skyscraper-in-Cork-gets-go-ahead-521c2336-74a4-4488-878c-318fed9b1dcb-ds

It's funny how they allow this in Cork but Dublin doesn't seems to have the world against it when trying to get high(ish) rise

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Sextant-skyscraper-in-Cork-gets-go-ahead-521c2336-74a4-4488-878c-318fed9b1dcb-ds

It's funny how they allow this in Cork but Dublin doesn't seems to have the world against it when trying to get high(ish) rise

Cork will be making a bid to become the real capital(again), based on having decent skyscrapers.

Cork will be making a bid to become the real capital(again), based on having decent skyscrapers.

I think cork has seven cranes, dublin has near twenty times that amount. Also johnny ronan is looking to build two x 44 floor towers in docklands. There is a twenty nine floor building looking for planning now beside heuston station...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think cork has seven cranes, dublin has near twenty times that amount. Also johnny ronan is looking to build two x 44 floor towers in docklands

The Cherrywood development has almost twenty alone. The highest is 5 stories, maybe 6.

The Cherrywood development has almost twenty alone. The highest is 5 stories, maybe 6.

what a joke! That goes to show you the regard they have for sustainablity and how it is nothing more than lies and waffle. Beside the luas and m50 and n11. 5/6 floors!!! LOL!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what a joke! That goes to show you the regard they have for sustainablity and how it is nothing more than lies and waffle. Beside the luas and m50 and n11. 5/6 floors!!! LOL!

Its ridiculous. If saving the skyline is the motivation, all the way out here it wouldn't have an impact. No shadow on your georgian tenement from all the way out here.

Its ridiculous. If saving the skyline is the motivation, all the way out here it wouldn't have an impact. No shadow on your georgian tenement from all the way out here.

it is absolutely ridiculous, 8-10 floor should be the minimum! There needs to be minimum densities now set far in excess of what it is for dublin land and particularly beside a qbc and the luas! :rolleyes:

Its actually so genius, that they can now use the neighbouring few hundred acres, to build the same again with six floors and we have only wasted another few hundred acres that needs servicing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Developer Johnny Ronan submits planning application for 45-storey block in city’s north docklands.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    As part of its application, which it submitted on Wednesday under the Government’s Strategic Housing Development (SHD) or ‘fast-track’ planning process, RGRE has sought permission to develop a total of 1,005 apartments distributed across three blocks ranging in height from eight to 45 storeys over a triple-level basement.

At 155m, the tallest of the scheme’s three blocks would be Dublin’s tallest building, dwarfing both Liberty Hall (59.4m) and the 88m (23-storey) tower on Tara Street for which RGRE secured planning permission in 2019.

Link

It looks so cool, but this is Dublin, I think we can safely say it will never happen, not this version of the plans anyway. Maybe he's overreaching on the storeys because they realistically know they'll never get permission for that many but maybe somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Maybe he's overreaching on the storeys because they realistically know they'll never get permission for that many but maybe somewhere in the middle.

Fair Point but it's a mixed use development so who knows. Somebody has to set a precedent for high rise developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There is no general plan apart from basic zoning laws,
    it might be better to allow 12 storey apartment blocks in the city centre ,
    in london theres 30 storey office blocks beside 2 storey shops .
    every builder has different plans to build offices, apartments etc
    builders will build as they can if the cost of the land is very high.
    i think the planners do not dublin to look like new york city.
    i wonder will there be any new office buildings built in 2021 apart from
    the ones currently in progress given the new trend for office workers to work from home due to the covid crisis.
    i dont know how a planner designs a skyline ,considering every year
    theres new offices, retail spaces being built all over the city.
    i live in an old house, close to me theres a building that has at least 10 storeys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

It looks so cool, but this is Dublin, I think we can safely say it will never happen, not this version of the plans anyway. Maybe he's overreaching on the storeys because they realistically know they'll never get permission for that many but maybe somewhere in the middle.

It's already been trimmed down. The surrounding buildings are much lower in fresh plans. No doubt the negotiations have begun and the main tower will gradually be lowered :mad: Headwrecking

1611334887716?e=1614211200&v=beta&t=3YPtjxrG1tF7HMXBQSg-_mlgkMYApeTMF9sJ1zlLQww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tropple

There was a good interview with John O'Hara (DCC Senior Planner) in the Business Post yesterday about the 2022-2028 development plan. I was encouraged by it, the ideas being set out seem modern, ambitious and sustainable, with a focus on building height and density near transport hubs, and encouraging multi-generational living.

How this plays out in reality is a different matter, but it gave me some hope, and it's also good to see these figures in the public spotlight as it can be all too easy for them to hide behind red tape

Advertisement