Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

To expose the crimes of Trump and his associates.

This will go no where. There is not enough of a smoking gun here. His base don't care.

I suspect T has finally baited the Dems and they fell for it, feeling the pressure (rightly) to do something, even if destined to fail. Can't see any winners here bar poor, harrased Trump.

When it does fail it will be a loss for the Dems,which will only hurt their candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

This will go no where. There is not enough of a smoking gun here. His base don't care.

I suspect T has finally baited the Dems and they fell for it, feeling the pressure (rightly) to do something, even if destined to fail. Can't see any winners here bar poor, harrased Trump.

When it does fail it will be a loss for the Dems,which will only hurt their candidate.

Erm the memo from the actual White House shows he asked for dirt on a political opponent.

The truth will be much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

1 100%, completely and utterly disagree with you.

His base are not the "be all and end all". They are between 30-35%. That leaves between 65-70%.

This is a smoking gun and will get past the house.

There will be daily hearings.

This will be the story and nothing else for some time.

Trump is not recruiting new followers. He is the antithesis of "how to win friends and influence people".

He has no one like McGhan keeping him in check.

If/when the financial records become available, I suspect they will be another nail in the coffin.

This offence is impeachable, easy to understand, mob-like and provable. Plus, its the second time he sought assistance, he's a repeat offender. The public know he will not stop.

The only questions for me are

1) if Barr, Mulvaney will go down with him (Rudy is screwed)
    2) do the Dems go with select articles or do they carpet bomb with everything impeachable that he's done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

A Political murder-suicide by Trump. He may well have ended Biden's 2020 campaign but in doing so also his own, potentially. So unnecessary as Biden was far from being guaranteed to be the Dem nominee. What a Doofus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Trump is holding a press conference on the phone call, there will be fireworks for sure. Starting now

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    1 100%, completely and utterly disagree with you.

His base are not the "be all and end all". They are between 30-35%. That leaves between 65-70%.

This is a smoking gun and will get past the house.

There will be daily hearings.

This will be the story and nothing else for some time

This offence is impeachable, easy to understand,

I'd like to believe it, but he will spin it that he was seeking answers to Bidens shady dealings re his son. There are valid questions to be asked there. The Reps will back him up. So that won't go anywhere.

It may be impeachable but you're dreaming if you think he will impeached on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ukraine president really gave trump a gift there

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

apparently Hillary's emails are located in Ukraine

Ukraine president really gave trump a gift there

What else could he do, Trump is the US president and Ukraine are dependent on the US for military aid, of course he is going to kiss his ass and say there was no pressure/blackmail

What else could he do, Trump is the US president and Ukraine are dependent on the US for military aid, of course he is going to kiss his ass and say there was no pressure/blackmail

He took his time to say there was no pressure.... Trump was sweating big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump got to where he is, not from the money as he spent that all, but his ability to command the news cycle.
    These impeachment proceedings will dominate all the news stations constantly, and in turn hamstringing Trumps major ability, it will act as a massive party political broadcast as why you shouldn't vote for Trump

I'd like to believe it, but he will spin it that he was seeking answers to Bidens shady dealings re his son. There are valid questions to be asked there. The Reps will back him up. So that won't go anywhere.

It may be impeachable but you're dreaming if you think he will impeached on this.

1) if he was investigating Hunter, then why did he lie about it? Why withhold the report? Why didn't the DOJ/FBI investigate? Plenty of answers to those questions? Does he think it would be okay for the next Dem president can investigate his sons? If it was about corruption, why does he have an issue with Ukraine alone? What about North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Turkey? Why did he change his story and say it was about Europe paying more?

2) I never said that the Senate will definitely convict him. I said the hearings will be brutal. Barr, Mulvaney might go first. The optics will be awful.

duploelabs wrote: »
    These impeachment proceedings will dominate all the news stations constantly

A bit like the Russia investigation then, did that damage him? No, the media had a field day, sold a shed load of advertising while Trump continued this toxic agenda behind the scenes.

The smoking gun has to be in his hand, with the body at his feet, if impeachment is to succeed.

A bit like the Russia investigation then, did that damage him? No, the media had a field day, sold a shed load of advertising while Trump continued this toxic agenda behind the scenes.

The smoking gun has to be in his hand, with the body at his feet, if impeachment is to succeed.

There was a special counsel and nothing came out for two years.

Trump could claim ignorance of the law, as worked with Junior, the first time. Can't do that now.

Lastly, again, i am not saying the Senate will convict. They don't have to.

The Mueller investigation focused on one aspect. This will focus on every single aspect, as well as the Ukraine one. This is a much bigger beast

Well lads, I hope you right, and no-one will be happier to be proved wrong. I don't believe this will damage him though, and may even do the opposite.

The implications Trump makes in the transcripts are pretty clear and obvious, a jury of children would convict. A jury of senate republicans on the other hand...

The white house emailed their talking points to push back against the Ukraine situation to the house Democrats.

You really couldn't make it up

https://theweek.com/speedreads/867641/white-house-accidentally-emailed-ukraine-talking-points-nancy-pelosi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He isn't going to be removed by impeachment, nobody thinks he will be.

It also doesn't matter if there is a smoking gun to be uncovered because even there is, he isn't going to be removed by impeachment.

What holding proper impeachment inquiry's, and the powers that come with it will do is provide detailed information and evidence. This will be shown to the American public and the idea will be to base the entire election campaign on it.

Trump is already deteriorating, those around him are getting increasingly erratic, fighting in too many fronts will wear them down and kill his re election bid, that is the goal imo. Not removal via impeachment and conviction in the senate.

His base hasn't grown one bit, and it won't. Those protest voters and others need to be shared up from a democrat point of view. Do as much as they can to highlight the crimes of the man and his regime.

That's all they can do.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Nothing can stick. It’s time the liberals grew up and accepted democracy.

Legend will be re elected because of this childishness and then his daughter will be presidents also in a few years.

True leadership in his genetics.

• Advertisement

He isn't going to be removed by impeachment, nobody thinks he will be.

It also doesn't matter if there is a smoking gun to be uncovered because even there is, he isn't going to be removed by impeachment.

What holding proper impeachment inquiry's, and the powers that come with it will do is provide detailed information and evidence. This will be shown to the American public and the idea will be to base the entire election campaign on it.

Trump is already deteriorating, those around him are getting increasingly erratic, fighting in too many fronts will wear them down and kill his re election bid, that is the goal imo. Not removal via impeachment and conviction in the senate.

His base hasn't grown one bit, and it won't. Those protest voters and others need to be shared up from a democrat point of view. Do as much as they can to highlight the crimes of the man and his regime.

That's all they can do.

I think some republicans will start to buckle, it may take a while yet but after going through the whole Russia investigation and now he goes and does something similar could be more than some of them can take. The top brass in the party may also see it as a chance to get rid of Trump.

In fact, if they turn on him right now and get him to resign, it would give them time before the next election to rebuild their brand and pretend like it all never happened

BDI wrote: »

Legend will be re elected because of this childishness and then his daughter will be presidents also in a few years.

When I read posts such as the above I don't ever react at all anymore barring cringe. I cringe so hard for the people who make the posts.

Factual inaccuracies and jibes don't really register anymore, just the overwhelming sense of cringe.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think some republicans will start to buckle, it may take a while yet but after going through the whole Russia investigation and now he goes and does something similar could be more than some of them can take. The top brass in the party may also see it as a chance to get rid of Trump.

You would want to see something overwhelming in terms of the vast majority of Americans demanding his immediate removal I'd say and that's not a likely outcome.

It is possible I guess depending on how the hearings etc go and what turns up on the tax returns and whatever else pops out but I'd be shocked personally.

Fwiw I agree actually that some republicans will be only too happy to vote against trump as it will now be politically expedient but not enough to convict. And I'd suspect they will do so with trump and Mitch's blessing, well Mitch's as he makes his calculations on the 2020 elections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

When I read posts such as the above I don't ever react at all anymore barring cringe. I cringe so hard for the people who make the posts.

Factual inaccuracies and jibes don't really register anymore, just the overwhelming sense of cringe.

That’s the realization that the don has won. They probably won’t even run anyone against him in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Whether you can take it as being caused by the Mueller report or the more general perception of Trump, there was a strong rebuke delivered to him and the Republican party in 2018.

Even if all the impeachment does is maintain the pressure, tamp down the floating voters who still remain, who are somehow still amendable to voting Trump, and get the Democratic vote out by emphasising the scale of his criminality and the danger he poses to democracy, that's enough.

In fact, as long as it doesn't actively improve Trump's chances (and I find it hard to believe it will - his crimes aren't even remotely hidden so there's no real fear of him being genuinely exonerated), then it's a positive, because it shows that at least some of the oversight on the executive can at be theoretically brought to bear.

This scandal is moving 10 times faster then the Russia collusion one....transcript released today... director of intelligence testifying tomorrow... Rudi talking crazy all over the place

Barr was named in the call.

Barr suppressed the whistleblower complaint, in which he is named.

Barr must recuse himself, at the very very least.

Edit - Barr also recieved a criminal referral and quashed it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

BDI wrote: »

Any comment on his actual ability to lead? Maybe some actual verifiable examples where he has demonstrated his genetic superiority in leadership terms?

duploelabs wrote: »
    The white house emailed their talking points to push back against the Ukraine situation to the house Democrats.

You really couldn't make it up

https://theweek.com/speedreads/867641/white-house-accidentally-emailed-ukraine-talking-points-nancy-pelosi

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1176891093339820032?s=19

F'n hilarious.

Makes you wonder what type of clowns work in the White House and what other emails were mailed mistakenly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Yeah wind up, insulting people trying to "own the libs".
    Worked for a brief period but old now like clickbait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement