Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father and daughter drown at US border

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A German people smuggler is facing 20 years in Italy.

Severe sentences for those who partake in smuggling or moving illegals.

Severe penalties for those who employ illegals, rent accommodation to illegals, who know someone is illegal but do not report it.

The focus of Western militaries will become border security.

Alternative is to let the activists and corporations win and have an ultra free market society.

If Europe took a hundred million people from its periphery over the next decade it would not change things in those countries in the slightest, the same number would be mobile again in, in half the time.

Europe would have collapsed in to chaos though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Why is this everybodys problem?

Because some of us feel compelled to bear the full weight of the world's problems upon our broad shoulders.

Mind you, many of the same people would be up in arms if their local council decided to locate a halting site across the road from them!

Plenty of people stay where they are. Are you suggesting no worldwide borders? Because the effect of that would be end of the 40/hour wage for everybody.

Why don't they do what any Anarchist would do, and have daddy write a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

B0jangles wrote: »
    Would you stay working in a job that paid you 1.50/hour if moving to another city would get you one paying 40/hour? Would you feel that it was your moral duty to stay in the job with horrible pay just because the people in the other city don't like the look of people from your town?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

You said people only take dangerous migration routes when it's a matter of life and death, and I responded saying that's not true, many (most?) illegal immigrants are economic immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

I recommend people watch the documentary borderless to see what's actually happening with migrants in southern Europe. And all the ****ery going on an people profiting from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Because some of us bear the full weight of the world's problems upon our broad shoulders.

Mind you, many of the same people would be up in arms if their local council decided to locate a halting site across the road from them!

Or a new block of apartments. Or refugee centres which are generally pushed to the arse end of nowhere.

Until the rich start taking in refugees into their areas and houses nothing can be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Didn’t say that. I guarantee I am probably doing more on climate change than you.

Poverty is the main reason. Don’t expect floods of people from Florida to Europe. And walls do work. Look at Japan. Eastern Europe. I’m not commending zero immigration either but it’s possible.

Actually of course the main reason for migration into the US is economic. In fact Mexican immigration has fallen as Mexico has gotten richer.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states

Yeah, people move to escape poverty, that's half of my point?

Along with making serious efforts to mitigate the impact of climate change, efforts need to be made to address the massive, massive global wealth inequalities. This would mean most people could live reasonably comfortably in their own countries, not trek hundreds or thousands of miles with small children just to live in a single room and work a minimum wage job when they get there.

Fundamentally, the comfort of our lives is built on their poverty.

(btw, why on earth you felt the need to say you 'guarantee I am probably doing more on climate change than you' is baffling. You know nothing whatsoever about what I do or don't do, and I know nothing about you either.)

If the crisis is not tightly handled you'll see a working class rebellion across Europe that will put people much stricter on illegals than Orban and Salvini in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My brother was showing me around Malta recently and there’s one area full of African migrants in limbo. Skinny af, hardly any teeth, and absolutely destitute. It’s heart breaking to see them. The abject poverty they come from is hard for any of us to imagine. All I know is I’d be doing the best to get the F out of whatever ****hole it is they come from if I was them. I wonder if wealth could ever be better distributed throughout the world or if it’s just going end in chaos.

Danzy wrote: »
    If the crisis is not tightly handled you'll see a working class rebellion across Europe that will put people much stricter on illegals than Orban and Salvini in power.

That's what is going to happen. I welcome it.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Why don't they do what any Anarchist would do, and have daddy write a cheque.

More like daddy getting them a job in a charity for processing refugees as far away as possible from ballsbridge at 80k a year

More like daddy getting them a job in a charity for processing refugees as far away as possible from ballsbridge at 80k a year

Yeah anyone who cares about anything is a Trustafarian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I recommend people watch the documentary borderless to see what's actually happening with migrants in southern Europe. And all the ****ery going on an people profiting from it.

Just before anyone wastes time on this "documentary".... It's made by white nationalist Lauren Southern....
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauren_Southern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

You said people only take dangerous migration routes when it's a matter of life and death, and I responded saying that's not true, many (most?) illegal immigrants are economic immigrants.

People do not embark on long and dangerous journeys for trivial reasons. They mosly do it because life where they come from is either too dangerous or too harsh and hopeless to be bearable.

Ask yourelf - what would it take for you to pack up as many of your belongings as you can carry, to give thousands of euro to someone you know is a criminal, who you know might just kill you and rob your body but who says he can get you over the border?

How bad would things have to be before that option seems like the best chance you have for a better life?

batgoat wrote: »
    Just before anyone wastes time on this "documentary".... It's made by white nationalist Lauren Southern....

If you're against it people should defo watch it.

They don't care, it is just the cause of the day for them.

Others deal with the fallout and consequences and they go in their privileged bubble.

“Caring” is easy if it’s costless. I suggested already that we use private housing for refugees rather than detention centres, Germany does something like that. In that case we should increase our intake.

Any other solution is either a detention centre or social housing - which costs people on waiting list, or private rentals which keeps rent up.

If you're against it people should defo watch it.

She attempted a blockade against a NGO ship that was rescuing shipwrecked refugees. She is scum of the highest order. Most recently famous for being banned from the UK... So she's unlikely to have made an unbiased documentary given her views...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

So you're a fan?

Yeah, people move to escape poverty, that's half of my point?

You denied people would be coming for lattes.
    Along with making serious efforts to mitigate the impact of climate change, efforts need to be made to address the massive, massive global wealth inequalities. This would mean most people could live reasonably comfortably in their own countries, not trek hundreds or thousands of miles with small children just to live in a single room and work a minimum wage job when they get there.

The mechanism for that is economic growth, aid doesn’t seem to work.

Fundamentally, the comfort of our lives is built on their poverty.

No it’s not. Economics isn’t a zero sum game. Your solution to open borders will massively decrease the wages of people in the west but maintain profits. It’s a disasterous solution

(btw, why on earth you felt the need to say you 'guarantee I am probably doing more on climate change than you' is baffling. You know nothing whatsoever about what I do or don't do, and I know nothing about you either.)

I said probably because most Green Party supporters or green sounding people are hypocrites. Car driving, long haul flying, old house living, many children producing hypocrites. And I’m none of those.

Also I’m working on renewable technology. Not a scold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m not great on the whole world affairs politics and policies, should the UN not be looking into what is happening along that border region and how these people are being so so badly treated.

She attempted a blockade against a NGO ship that was rescuing shipwrecked refugees. She is scum of the highest order. Most recently famous for being banned from the UK... So she's unlikely to have made an unbiased documentary given her views...

The NGOs should f off. They are facilitating human trafficking.

People can watch and make their own minds up. We dont need you jumping in with your lefty nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

People do not embark on long and dangerous journeys for trivial reasons. They mosly do it because life where they come from is either too dangerous or too harsh and hopeless to be bearable.

I do not agree, so let's agree to disagree. I know you have strong opinions so we'll just go round in circles.

idk

seems that a lot of the people who consider themselves the moral imperators of our society do most of their work online telling everyone else what they ought to be doing about it

and telling them how horrible they are when they demur or disagree

trustafarian or not, the phenomenon of the online activist is not achieving what it likes to think it is

lecturing other people on what they should care about is the barest minimum egojerk possible in 2019

The NGOs should f off. They are facilitating human trafficking.

People can watch and make their own minds up. We dont need you jumping in with your lefty nonsense.

I've simply pointed out that the video was made by a prominent white supremacist. Also, so are you saying they should have let the shipwrecked people drown?

I said probably because most Green Party supporters or green sounding people are hypocrites. Car driving, long haul flying, old house living, many children producing hypocrites. And I’m none of those.

Also I’m working on renewable technology. Not a scold though.

Why do people brand Green voters like this? I wont be having any kids, never owned a car, live in a small 2 bed terrace house which I share with another, am working class, live in a working class area, cycle to work... Ok I fly to Europe once or twice a year you got me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I've simply pointed out that the video was made by a prominent white supremacist.

Don't know the woman or her work, you could be right, but I feel this tag has been diluted and thrown around so much the last few years its almost lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wonder if wealth could ever be better distributed throughout the world or if it’s just going end in chaos.

The best way to spread wealth throughout the world is through education.
    What you need is "Ivy league colleges" in the undeveloped world and mechanisms to ensure that everyone has a chance of an education on a par with the western world.

The status quo favours all aspects of life in western countries and hence why everyone wants to get here.

I've simply pointed out that the video was made by a prominent white supremacist. Also, so are you saying they should have let the shipwrecked people drown?

Who put the NGOs In charge of search and rescue for migrants? They can do what they like when in Intenational water but people were entitled to protest against them when docked in Italy. I see yesterday the captain of the sea watch threatened to enter Italian waters. The Italian navy should blow a hole in it if that happens.

NGOs dont get to dictate immigration policy. And the two fellas locked up waiting trial for human traffic should be dealt with in the harshest way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ask yourelf - what would it take for you to pack up as many of your belongings as you can carry, to give thousands of euro to someone you know is a criminal, who you know might just kill you and rob your body but who says he can get you over the border?

How bad would things have to be before that option seems like the best chance you have for a better life?

New teeth from the NHS. Thats why Alan Kurdi died. His father's vanity.

Advertisement