Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father and daughter drown at US border

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    It's not our problem. The media are manipulating people once again like they did with the Syrian child.

Nice. Real nice.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Love_BBC

is_that_so wrote: »
    Journalists record events. You can't really pick and choose which ones should or should not qualify.

When was the last time a journo took a picture of a murdered person or car crash victim?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Tighten external borders and any that arrive send them back. Europe cant be expected to sort out the 3rd worlds problems. Let them apply legally through the proper channels. They dont have some god given right to come to Europe. We dont owe them anything.

Maybe we do owe them something given how Europe exploited Africa for so long. Anyway it’s impossible to control European borders. Too vast. I just wonder how it will be dealt with as the situation escalates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

100%. Why do people always bring up this argument? An illegal is an illegal. Doesn't matter where you are from.
    Some posters look like they are selective about their illegals. Just checking we're not going down another route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The White House requested $4.5 billion in emergency border funds in order to handle the huge numbers of economic migrants appearing on their southern borders. The Democratic controlled congress finally approved that bill last night. Immigration authorities and support services at the border are overwhelmed with the migration influx and this money will be used to provide services to adults and children, including legal representation.

$4.5 billion is a substantial amount of money. Opening the borders like Merkel did to Europe is not an option, because it is just plain insanity.

• Advertisement

Love_BBC wrote: »
    When was the last time a journo took a picture of a murdered person or car crash victim?
    Where's the story in either of those?

The horrifying picture that was released is really heartbreaking. The daughter still has her arm around Dad. Not what I expected to see first thing in the morning.
    I think we will be seeing a lot more of this in Europe and USA going forward. Like that Syrian boy found dead on the beach. What are we in rich countries supposed to do? Of course they know it’s illegal to enter these countries and the risks involved but they are so desperate for a better life they’ll keep coming. Is there any solution to the constant stream of desperate immigrants? I fear it will get a lot worse in the coming years as resources dwindle and the climate crisis worsens.
    Not for the feint hearted

https://www.thejournal.ie/us-mexico-immigration-photo-4697766-Jun2019/

Hundreds die every year crossing the mediteranean to get into Europe. We should have their pictures also.

Yes, there is a crisis, but yes, people are being emotionally manipulated through media to a sinister end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I never understood people being so cynical and edgy regarding the Syrian boy. Often the same people who pretend to be all outraged by abortion extremely early on.

But I find comparisons between the US-Mexico border control to the Holocaust dreadfully dishonest. And in poor taste.

That's Syrian boys body was staged for the famous photo.

PS don't believe the death was staged, only the positioning of the boys body for a better more impactful image

Kivaro wrote: »
    The White House requested $4.5 billion in emergency border funds in order to handle the huge numbers of economic migrants appearing on their southern borders. The Democratic controlled congress finally approved that bill last night. Immigration authorities and support services at the border are overwhelmed with the migration influx and this money will be used to provide services to adults and children, including legal representation.

$4.5 billion is a substantial amount of money. Opening the borders like Merkel did to Europe is not an option, because it is just plain insanity.
    The WH wants that money to build a wall, that's their solution. Should be ours too according to Trump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's not our problem. The media are manipulating people once again like they did with the Syrian child.

100%, it is propaganda, the same as the child who had a perfectly safe life in Turkey, who drowned because of his fathers vanity, who somehow became a poster child for people fleeing war.

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    That's Syrian boys body was staged for the famous photo.
    Ah, is the Katie Hopkins claim?

Who said they’d take people in and then made excuses? Did this actually happen? Not doubting it but some examples would be good.

Lily Allen immediately springs to mind.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can you remember his name without using Google?

I can't.

Alan Kurdi or similar comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ah, is the Katie Hopkins claim?

Sorry I hit post to early. The boy certainly died, and on the beach. But I believe the body had been repositioned for a better shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Maybe we do owe them something given how Europe exploited Africa for so long. Anyway it’s impossible to control European borders. Too vast. I just wonder how it will be dealt with as the situation escalates.

Ireland didnt exploit anyone. And we are very far removed from the med. The only reason 3rd world migrants/refugees are coming here is for welfare. They should never make it to this rock on the edge of Europe. But unfortunately people are facilitating them.

heartbreaking photo

problem that wont be solved by sympathy or good intentions but id see no reason to be callous about it either

the world is a hard place and always has been, reacting in shock as if good policy decisions are made that way would merely demonstrate an unsuitability for making such decisions

besides, the border with the US isnt and shouldnt be a major priority for us

just because the world media is now able to beam every misery to our phones doesnt make us any more or less responsible than before.

Hundreds die every year crossing the mediteranean to get into Europe. We should have their pictures also.

Yes, there is a crisis, but yes, people are being emotionally manipulated through media to a sinister end.

We get pictures of upturned boats and migrants in the med all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The WH wants that money to build a wall, that's their solution. Should be ours too according to Trump!
    You are completely wrong with your assertion. This money has nothing to do with the wall. You know that, but you throw it out to muddy the waters.
    Then again, you are the one who keeps bringing up the 50K illegal Irish to derail threads on migration. Extremely disingenuous, but not surprising.

Ireland didnt exploit anyone. And we are very far removed from the med. The only reason 3rd world migrants/refugees are coming here is for welfare. They should never make it to this rock on the edge of Europe. But unfortunately people are facilitating them.

We didn’t but we are now part of a super power that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

We get pictures of upturned boats and migrants in the med all the time.

Why dont we get pictures of European people butchered in terrorist attacks?

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Sorry I hit post to early. The boy certainly died, and on the beach. But I believe the body had been repositioned for a better shot.
    The very famous Iwo Jima flag shot was staged. Some pictures have a much bigger story to tell.

We didn’t but we are now part of a super power that did.

i dont feel part of any super power that did.

do you?

i dont feel part of any super power that did.

do you?

it says EU on my passport. Anyway, Africa was butchered and chopped up by Europe, if I was French or Belgian or British I might even feel a little guilty. Maybe European countries should be investing more in Africa to make it a safer and nicer place to live.

Why dont we get pictures of European people butchered in terrorist attacks?

Probably because they don't value dead poor people as much as they do dead Europeans, so wouldn't post pictures of their bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

According to Wikipedia 7216 have died trying to make the crossing from 1988 to 2017. This photo is just to have a pop at Trump. Where were the photos to have a go at Obama, Bush and Clinton?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

We will still be talking about this type of stuff for decades to come. If people live in a country with inherent danger or no opportunities parents will always try to get their children to a better life. Only when third world countries have opportunities will people resist the urge to migrate.

You can bang about about your stupid walls, the they have no right to come here brigade, the left and the right are using blah blah blah for their gain and on and on and on. It will never ever change as long as that level of opportunity is so vastly different between countries. Maybe it's just a by product or the end result of capitalism.

There's enough money in the world (easily) to create a better world for everyone. There's just no will power to do it. We get 70 years on this planet if we're lucky and instead of making the whole planet better we enact protectionist policies and defend imaginary borders. You and I pay tax. If you work there's no way of getting out of it. Until there is a worldwide effort to get corporations to pay their share of tax in the countries where they sell their products will it ever change. Not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

The very famous Iwo Jima flag shot was staged. Some pictures have a much bigger story to tell.

Yeah these idiots should stay in their own country and not put their children at risk like this idiot did.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Yeah these idiots should stay in their own country and not put their children at risk like this idiot did.

Poor and starving Irish people left for centuries and were still off to Oz and Canada as soon as the last recession kicked in. Everyone strives for a better life, so as the gap between rich and poor widens and climate and war causes chaos, it's only going to get worse. I wonder how we'll deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Poor and starving Irish people left for centuries and were still off to Oz and Canada as soon as the last recession kicked in. Everyone strives for a better life, so as the gap between rich and poor widens and climate and war causes chaos, it's only going to get worse. I wonder how we'll deal with it.

Legal vs Illegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Journalists record events. You can't really pick and choose which ones should or should not qualify.

Is that a wishy washy way of saying that professional photo-journalists take pictures and try to sell them to newspapers to make money?

The more heart-rending the photo, the bigger the income.

"RTE Investigates" has a report tonight on the cruelty to Irish greyhounds that occurs both at home and after they are exported. I'm sure there will be some pretty horrible pictures in the report.

We can do something - immediately - about greyhound exports, but we can do sfa about people drowning in the Rio Grande.

Advertisement