Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father and daughter drown at US border

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    I agree but that tired old "we emigrated" ****e. Has no bearing on this situation.

You are an ideal example of someone who really doesn't understand what they have.

No idea.

Zero. zilch

I thank fk everyday ive never had to be put in that situation. And im no believe in an almighty being. Just Chance is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

listermint wrote: »
    I dont believe that for a second.

Sorry. But no ive seen all your comments , you opened it you saw it. You can try wrangle around the subject matter. But a human specifically someone who won the lottery of life to be born into Ireland with all its flaws but so so many benefits . If your first reaction to this is to post in the manner you do. Well then id suggest discussing it with someone.

I did not click on that article. I dont need to I can see this for what it is. Manipulation of people. The Same happened with the Syrian boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

There's some proper heartless people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

batgoat wrote: »
    It's people in dire circumstances that have reached a point where risking their lives seems like the best way to survive. Sounds pretty akin to the Irish tbh.

So we all should take a radical free market perspective on migration, cause Boston is full of Americans with an Irish parent or two.

Your views are the tail end of Thatcherism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

These threads always bring up the absolute worst in society. They quite literally drag up the dregs of boards. People who nearly jump for joy a this stuff.

Smug disgusting comments dotted throughout this.

Depressing stuff, im not sure how you folks are in your day to day existence but it must be quite sad all things considered if this is how you go on.

The internet must be a scary place for you most days if this is how offended you get reading boards.ie :p
    Maybe you should go talk to someone about it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Granadino wrote: »

Very informative. Goes to show that the media completely show whatever they want, not the real story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Danzy wrote: »
    So we all should take a radical free market perspective on migration, cause Boston is full of Americans with an Irish parent or two.

Your views are the tail end of Thatcherism.

Eh, these people were by any measure in dire circumstances for them to go to those lengths. I'd prefer to have some human compassion than not tbh... We are lucky by geography to not be living in poverty or to be living in a conflict zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,698 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why doesn't Europe, Australia or Asia charter planes to take all these immigrants seeing as they are the ones so torn up about these poor immigrants who passed through numerous safe countries and kept on going until they got to the US border.
    They are suppose to seek asylum in first safe country, not be all like'' naa I don't like this country,I'll keep going, naa I don't like this one either, I'll keep going''
    It's a joke, if they are in Mexico then it's their problem to house them and run them through their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Eh, these people were by any measure in dire circumstances for them to go to those lengths. I'd prefer to have some human compassion than not tbh... We are lucky by geography to not be living in poverty or to be living in a conflict zone.

How does your extreme free market take on this be considered compassion?

How does it help long term?

How is it a solution?

Talking about solidarity and compassion is just a diversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

So many incorrect and ignorant comments in this thread, it is not worth even attempting to put things straight.

Incorrect comments can very easily be "put straight" simply by quoting them and linking to the correct information.

Ignorant comments are harder to "put straight" although it must be remembered that in general, ignorance is a subjective judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why doesn't Europe, Australia or Asia charter planes to take all these immigrants seeing as they are the ones so torn up about these poor immigrants who passed through numerous safe countries and kept on going until they got to the US border.
    They are suppose to seek asylum in first safe country, not be all like'' naa I don't like this country,I'll keep going, naa I don't like this one either, I'll keep going''
    It's a joke, if they are in Mexico then it's their problem to house them and run them through their system.

Like I don’t want poor unskilled immigrants coming here either but look at this from their perspective. Absolutely destitute and willing to risk their lives to get somewhere better. Yes such selfish picky bastards. I hardly think their lives would be improved at all in Mexico or turkey. Try to understand why they’re doing this and put yourself in their shoes.

Homer wrote: »
    The internet must be a scary place for you most days if this is how offended you get reading boards.ie :p
    Maybe you should go talk to someone about it ;)

No i dont need to, im pretty well rounded person.

If i see dead children id act like a normal sane person would react. Pretty horrified.

I also dont feel the need to go on the internet create multple rereg accounts and create fear in people by 'othering' ( the constant need to blame all your problems on a specific minority group)

Its all a bid sad really playing around in ones bedroom doing this.

I do take some solice though in calling these folks out though. Because they are only embarrassing themselves or perhaps they really do indeed need some professional help. Id say its the latter

Danzy wrote: »
    How does your extreme free market take on this be considered compassion?

How does it help long term?

How is it a solution?

Talking about solidarity and compassion is just a diversion.

I don't support completely open borders.... I do support taking in refugees, I also favour not creating modern day concentration camps which is where the US is at the moment in terms of their treatment of refugees.

I dont really see anyone arguing that point frankly

What i do see is individuals that appear to be.. well Empty inside.

void of compassion.

When did that become 'cool'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see a lot of posters:
    * not managing to separate logic and feelings.
    * Godwinning everything
    * thinking everyone has god given right to live in US/Europa
    * mixing every single problem in the world together, so no single problem can be discussed in isolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    It's not our problem. The media are manipulating people once again like they did with the Syrian child.

We cannot and should not help everybody. And we cannot solve the world's problems. Let these people protest their Govts to make their Countries worth living in instead of thinking they can just come to our Countries and live off our tax funded programs.

biko wrote: »
    I see a lot of posters:
    * Godwinning everything
    * mixing every single problem in the world together, so no single problem can be discussed in isolation

No one has a right to live anywhere. I started this thread to see if a) anyone gave a sh*t and b) to discuss possible solutions

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    We cannot and should not help everybody. And we cannot solve the world's problems. Let these people protest their Govts to make their Countries worth living in instead of thinking they can just come to our Countries and live off our tax funded programs.

We have to solve the problem as the influx and all that comes with it is going to grow and grow

• Registered Users Posts: 35,698 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The US will NEVER allow millions of undocumented people march into their country, it's about time they got the message. Mexico is a lovely country, and well suited to Spanish speaking immigrants, many other safe and lovely countries in South America, they are marching in wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The solution is to make people unwilling to leave their own countries.

Not many wants to leave their home for no reason.
    If we can isolate what those reasons are and address them then great.
    But we are not the government of Venezuela/Honduras/etc
    Local governments must be the ones to handle things, but we can help.

Economic migration will increase.
    Climate migration will increase.
    No-reason migration will increase.

Not everyone can live here. They are needed to build their own countries up.

• Advertisement

Would you be of the same view about people fleeing Nazi Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What can we do?

A good start would be to stop fvckin the poorer countries over by political and/or corporate power (and quite often by brute force).

The US has been absolutely brutal towards middle and Latin American countries. How could this come as a surprise? They’re still at it.

Same in the Middle East and Africa. These things dont happen by accident.

When I say ‘we’ I’m talking about the western world. We’re all complicit to one degree or another. If nothing else by being a silent beneficiary, looking the other way and saying ‘not our problem’

Would you be of the same view about people fleeing Nazi Germany?

Thank You for proving you can't argue your point. By invoking Nazi you proved you have nothing to support your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We have to solve the problem as the influx and all that comes with it is going to grow and grow

We need to defend our countries from this influx. The problem is not ours to solve.

If your neighbour's house is infested with rats, you don't knock through a rat run to alleviate the amount of rats in his house.

I see a lot of posters:
    * Godwinning everything

I dont think that is what you are seeing tbh.

These threads as i said already drag up the dregs of boards. The gutter boards. Those that fill with glee when they see stories like this, they use them as ammo. They blame the people involved.

There is a stark difference between that sort of reaction and thinking everyone has a right to live in Europe or US

Quite frankly your assertion is bizarre. At no point did anyone suggest that. If they did knock yourself out there. But i didnt see it.

What can we do?

A good start would be to stop fvckin the poorer countries over by political and/or corporate power (and quite often by brute force).

The US has been absolutely brutal towards middle and Latin American countries. How could this come as a surprise? They’re still at it.

Same in the Middle East and Africa. These things dont happen by accident.

When I say ‘we’ I’m talking about the western world. We’re all complicit to one degree or another. If nothing else by being a silent beneficiary, looking the other way and saying ‘not our problem’

Who the hell has Ireland ever ****ed over, colonized,etc? Either way we should not be held responsible for things that happened hundreds of years ago.

Africa has been received billions [if not trillions at this point] in aid [both tax money and charity money] and its still a third world Continent.

Its not out fault they've failed to improve where they live.

We need to defend our countries from this influx. The problem is not ours to solve.

If your neighbour's house is infested with rats, you don't knock through a rat run to alleviate the amount of rats in his house.

See this is the sort of comparisons you are dealing with in these sorts of threads.

It speaks for itself.....

Thank You for proving you can't argue your point. By invoking Nazi you proved you have nothing to support your argument.

Eh, that's not addressing my point. Your argument is that refugees should stay in their homeland when it's untenable. If you want, I can switch it for Russian refugees fleeing political persecution, the point stands. Do you think those fleeing Nazi Germany should have stayed to protest the regime?

The solution is to make people unwilling to leave their own countries.

Not many wants to leave their home for no reason.
    If we can isolate what those reasons are and address them then great.
    But we are not the government of Venezuela/Honduras/etc
    Local governments must be the ones to handle things, but we can help.

Economic migration will increase.
    Climate migration will increase.
    No-reason migration will increase.

Not everyone can live here. They are needed to build their own countries up.

How about the EU start sanctioning the UK and USA for going around policing the world.

Afterall, you appear to be blaming these people for migration. when the nuts and bolts of it are that 90% of them have no interest in leaving their country. But the wars, the engagements the economic games, the political interference and the sanctions introduced by these western nations are whats causing it.

Its funny that you appear to be of the opinion these people really want to make these journeys.

They dont!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

See this is the sort of comparisons you are dealing with in these sorts of threads.

It speaks for itself.....

Yes - it's almost as vivid an analogy as the photograph that has you wringing your hands helplessly when you arrived here overflowing with compassion.

I assume that you're also against the slaughter of innocent foetuses?

Advertisement