Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

DColeman wrote: »
    Not sure people of colour or the LGBT community would agree. 20th century nostalgia should be heavily restricted/limited.

Wait, are you telling me I am disagreeing with myself?

What you talking about Willis?

(No, I'm the other one)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

We won the Eurovision a few times in the 90's, 'twas the best decade for R'n'B, you could do stupid sh1t and no record of it on the WWW. Boyzone, Westlife, The Spice Girls and Take That hit the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

fmpisces wrote: »
    Boyzone, Westlife, The Spice Girls and Take That hit the scene.

Yeah, it wasn’t all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

fmpisces wrote: »
    We won the Eurovision a few times in the 90's, 'twas the best decade for R'n'B, you could do stupid sh1t and no record of it on the WWW. Boyzone, Westlife, The Spice Girls and Take That hit the scene.

That's your musical memory?
    For me the emergence of the rave scene. People dancing in fields for the first time since the hippies in the states. Hip hop grew immensely. Grunge. Uk scene was off the hook. It was truly amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes the 90,s was the first decade of freedom for young people,
    the control of the catholic church was declining .
    We did not have a housing crisis .
    I read the papers now, i see climate crisis, global warming,the middle east is still in turmoil, there,s not evena hint of any peace deal between palestine
    and israel.
    in america theres a mass shooting every 2 week,s ,
    No sign of gun control laws being passed .
    Yes we are in a boom now, but many people are finding it hard to buy a house,
    Renting is ok, but when you are over 30 most people want to get their own home .
    I do not see much reason to be optimistic for the future .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

people born in the 90s and 00s like the 90s - mainly because they cant remember how **** is was. same with the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Italia 90 was probably the feel good, defining moment in Ireland in the last 50 years, its happened at the very beginning of the decade.
    Bishop Casey scandal began the destruction of the Catholic Church.
    There will never be a another generation to experience the phenomenon that was Oasis.
    Man United won their first League title in 26 years a generation of Irish fans celebrated, the club then became captained by an Irishman in its most successful period.
    Michelle Smith went from hero to zero.
    U2 completely reinvented themselves and produced one of the most original and greatest albums of all time.
    Windows 95 changed the HOME PC industry and the use of the internet was born.
    The USSR collapsed, a generation of kids growing up fearing WW3 no longer had to fear the end of the world.

Even at the time, us teenagers knew we were in a special era, the 80s sucked for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm correcting you. The E was better too :)
    They certainly were, although I've heard anecdotally that the ones around lately are at mid 90s, 'halcyon days' of strength and purity. (See what I did there) Ask anyone what decade was their favourite decade and they'll always answer the decade in which they came of age. First concert, first time getting the ride, first job, first heartbreak, first drugs, first pints in a pub yada yada.. For me, that was between about '93 and '98, so yeah, The 90s was the best decade ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

I turned 13 in 1990.

All my important firsts happened in the 1990's.

My first love, my first shag, my first pint ............... and all my best memories happened in the 90's.

I love the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Everything is gone mental now.
    The 90s were comparatively sane.
    (Iraq included).

Things were less global, more kind of divided into little boxes. The world seemed simpler, more homogenous. There was really only western european culture with a dash of america.
    The mega wealthy were still mostly US old style industrialists and european olde money.
    Reality tv wasnt a thing, and at worst your nudes could only potentially reach your ma.
    Simon Cowell hadnt infected us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

bullvine wrote: »
    Italia 90 was probably the feel good, defining moment in Ireland in the last 50 years, its happened at the very beginning of the decade.
    Bishop Casey scandal began the destruction of the Catholic Church.
    There will never be a another generation to experience the phenomenon that was Oasis.
    Man United won their first League title in 26 years a generation of Irish fans celebrated, the club then became captained by an Irishman in its most successful period.
    Michelle Smith went from hero to zero.
    U2 completely reinvented themselves and produced one of the most original and greatest albums of all time.
    Windows 95 changed the HOME PC industry and the use of the internet was born.
    The USSR collapsed, a generation of kids growing up fearing WW3 no longer had to fear the end of the world.

Even at the time, us teenagers knew we were in a special era, the 80s sucked for the most part!

It happened 10 years ago with Bieber fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The 1990s was the 1960s Ireland never had.

Brilliant decade to come of age. :)

For me, the '60s ended that day in 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Madchester, The Rave scene, Ecstasy, the fact that people actually spoke and interacted with other people as opposed to staring into their phone all the time, hardly any snowflakes getting offended by utterly ridiculous things,people didnt feel the need to constanly be in competition with others, there wasn't the same level of crime and violence as there is thesedays, it was altogether much much better than these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was a period of relative peace and stability.

I thought someone would have mentioned that, but it looks like everyone's ****ing on about music charts and fashion.

Yeah, apart from the Gulf war, massive genocide in Rwanda, Massive genocide in the Balkans, Somali conflict, Chechnya etc it was all sunshine and rainbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Yeah, apart from the Gulf war, massive genocide in Rwanda, Massive genocide in the Balkans, Somali conflict, Chechnya etc it was all sunshine and rainbows.

Some decades are more peaceful than others, relatively speaking. The first Gulf War wasn't as destructive as the second one 12 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is Ireland though. I am sure if you ask people from those countries the 90s isnt fondly rembered. Subjective and ignorant perhaps but my recollection of the Somalia conflict is Black Hawk Down and of Rwanda an episode of the West Wing that alluded to it.

Yugoslavias breakup made it harder for Ireland to qualify at soccer... feckin Macedonia. The refugees didnt seem to make it here in big numbers.

Horrific as they were, viewed from the relative calm and safety of Ireland they seemed like local contained events with no blowback to here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I turned 15 years of age in 1990 and was 24 as 1999 drew to a close. I know every generation looks back at the decade of their coming of age with rose tinted specs but the 1990s truly was a brilliant decade for this country.

As I opined earlier in this thread, the 90s was the 1960s Ireland never had. Massive social, political and economic changes for the better.

1990 - Italia ‘90 - need I say more? We had arrived as a proper contender in football on a global level.
    1990 - Mary Robinson elected our first woman President who transformed and modernised the office.
    Early 1990s - widespread availability of contraception
    1992 - the X case where Irish people began to realise that the abortion issue was not an absolute black and white “moral” issue
    1992 - the Bishop Eamonn Casey “scandal” that marked the beginning of the end of the stranglehold of the Catholic Church on Irish society
    1993 - decriminalisation of homosexuality, after the 1988 ruling against Ireland by the ECHR
    1994/95 - beginning of the “Celtic Tiger” when the economy really began to take off
    1994 - IRA ceasefire
    1995 - Passing (very narrowly) of the Divorce Referendum
    1998 - Good Friday Agreement
    1999 - Employment Equality Act

Add in a huge blossoming of the Irish music and arts scene, winning several Eurovisions, the urban renewal boom when the horrendous urban dereliction in Dublin and the regional cities was reversed, the Feile Trip to Tipp music festivals (was at two myself! :)), availability of cheap flights abroad, huge improvements to the roads, the emergence of the Internet, email, mobile telephony, the effective end of film and book censorship...

...and yes, great music too. Nirvana, Placebo, Garbage, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Oasis, Blur, Massive Attack, Leftfield, Portishead, Smashing Pumpkins, Björk, Alice In Chains, The Cranberries, U2 (yes, they were actually pretty good back then...and IMO at their peak around Achtung Baby), Aphex Twin, Lush, INXS, Pulp, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, and on and on and on...:):D

So, for me at least, the 1990s was a terrific time to come of age. It felt like the rest of Ireland was growing up with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

I have more respect for a handful of my 90s vinyls than I do the last few years music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

pure.conya wrote: »
    I have more respect for a handful of my 90s vinyls than I do the last few years music

Did you stop listening to music because of time contraints or are the handful of records collector's items or something?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm correcting you. For most people the 90s was a great decade. We had full employment & a booming economy but we hadn't lost the run of ourselves yet. The E was better too :)

Strangely research on seized pills suggests the ecstasy today is stronger.

Maybe it's tolerance but I barely feel a whack off taking one these days (and I'm not daft enough to neck three more), 15 years ago a half one would have me melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I enjoyed the 90’s, I was a teenager for most of it and it just seemed like a very optimistic and fun decade..post 80s recession, tougher times and the like the family had a spare few quid so things like foreign holidays were yearly rather than every couple, car could all of a sudden be changed say every three years instead of every five or six. Doing well in your leaving wasn’t the be all because all of a sudden there were ‘jobs’ and an overall sense of wellbeing about the country, it’s prospects and yours...some good summers too helped enjoyable times and people looked ‘forward’, with optimism and confidence as well as enjoying the ‘moment’..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Some decades are more peaceful than others, relatively speaking. The first Gulf War wasn't as destructive as the second one 12 years later.
    The second Gulf War, Iraqi Freedom or whatever they called it, lasted a lot longer than Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Add in the fact US were dealing with a whole new combat tactics,i.e IEDs,suicide bombers, and guerrilla warfare.IMHO the US was unprepared for that, and the same lessons learned in Vietnam were forgotten. That's why it was more destructive.

But as someone who served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, there was a lot of destruction as well with the constant bombing the first stage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The 1990s were good.
    I would argue 1989 set the scene for the following decade. The change started that year. We were in a whole new world in the 1990's. The Iron Curtain had fallen, people were free. The collapse of the Soviet Union. The world felt a bit safer as the moves for peace grew on this island,
    People who are old enough to remember the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, the sheer elation and joy, it was one of the great moments to be alive to witness and I think it set the scene for the 90s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

RobertKK wrote: »
    The 1990s were good.
    I would argue 1989 set the scene for the following decade. The change started that year. We were in a whole new world in the 1990's. The Iron Curtain had fallen, people were free. The collapse of the Soviet Union. The world felt a bit safer as the moves for peace grew on this island,
    People who are old enough to remember the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989, the sheer elation and joy, it was one of the great moments to be alive to witness and I think it set the scene for the 90s.

That's quite interesting, the sense that the impending nuclear war wasn't going to come after all.

Contrast that to the early 2000's. For a few years after 9/11 the news was pre occupied with the next "big one". Probably involving a nuclear dirty bomb or a germ warfare attack. Or about how there were hundreds of ant aircraft missiles the US had donated to the mujahideen in the 80's that were being smuggled to Europe to bring down commercial flights. Anthrax, ricin, sarin, the US government issuing its red alert terror warnings every other week, there was even tanks deployed at Heathrow at one stage I seem to recall.

Yet despite all this the only 9/11 level plot they ever discovered was the liquid bomb plot (the reason we to this day have liquid restrictions on flights)

We're still being sold fear in spades. Putin's alleged expansionism, climate change etc.

Advertisement