Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

80s were crap..mass unemployment, mass emigration, ****ty fashion, crap weather, Northern Ireland situation truly in a heap, it cost a fortune to fly anywhere...

90’s..economy in better shape, people started coming home, still crap weather, peace process started, technology enhanced our lives, travel became somewhat affordable, decent affordable home computers, mobile phones enabled better communication and other aspects of life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

We used to laugh at the Japaneses' obsession with taking photos of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Late 90's was a great time to be a Jordan F1 fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Late 90's was a great time to be a Jordan F1 fan.

Fond memories of Saturday morning (usually) with the brother, watching F1 on the tv.

Massive moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Rents were low, there was no housing crisis, people were not too worried about global warming,
    there was new music like britpop, house music,
    the internet was becoming avaidable to the public,
    People were optimistic.
    What do young people see now, global warming, trump, rich people on social media,right wing governments like putin and trump in power .
    Young people have to get likes on social media or they,ll get bullied .
    IN many countrys like china or russia anyone who uses the web is under surveillance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Not too complicated, our economy was v weak at the start of the 90s but improved very dramatically leaving the country way better off as the decade ended. Really dramatically better off.
    Other stuff too, Ireland doing well in two world cups, loads more GAA on tv than previously, counties winning All Ireland’s that had never won anything.
    Life in Ireland was way better in 1999 than in 1989, and there was a sense that things could keep improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

People interacted more. People are lonelier now because they are all on phones and trying to be Instagram queens.

The music was better. The clothes were better.

They were glorious and grunge tinged.

Everything is so generic now.

We lived through some great golden years for music scenes in the 90s from grunge to hip hop and dance.... And then onto the gack we have nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Because the best album ever came out in the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Not too complicated, our economy was v weak at the start of the 90s but improved very dramatically leaving the country way better off as the decade ended. Really dramatically better off.
    Other stuff too, Ireland doing well in two world cups, loads more GAA on tv than previously, counties winning All Ireland’s that had never won anything.
    Life in Ireland was way better in 1999 than in 1989, and there was a sense that things could keep improving.

Pretty good way of summing it up really.

In 1990 I was in my early '20s & by the end of the decade I was in my early '30s.

It was still pretty bleak at the beginning, but by the end there was solid sustainable growth all round.

In the late '90s the Rainbow Govt were doing a pretty good job of managing things & then they were voted out for reasons unknown to me.

At that point the madness began....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Oh the internet existed. It was very entertaining. But it was a thing you connected to, required effort. Not something ubiquitous you have to make an effort to dis-connect from.
    The internet 24x7 on phones... big mistake!

But your fundamental point is sound. Someone should write a book on the benefits of boredom...

That could be the book title for sure.
    It would also make a good band name.

When I think about you might be one to something.
    If someone feels bored they think of something to do, find something that needs to be fixed/done, or else they invent something to do.
    Or even just think about things in general, rather than find things to distract you.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

In the 90s on a Saturday night you wouldn't resort to posting observations about what life was like in the 70s on your smartphone.

You'd probably be out....living.....or something

It was a period of relative peace and stability.

I thought someone would have mentioned that, but it looks like everyone's ****ing on about music charts and fashion.

By the end of the decade there was peace/stability but at the start of it there were still plenty of massive bumps along the way Warrington bombing to Omagh and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Monday night war

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Angry, vengeful, powerful female artists.
    Dolores O'Riordan, Alanis Morissette, Spice Girls

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Angry, vengeful, powerful female artists.
    Dolores O'Riordan, Alanis Morissette, Spice Girls

I kind of hate all of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

nails1 wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong but in the 90s everyone hated the 90s. Now we also have kids born in the 00s saying 90s was the best.

I haven’t noticed any 90s nostalgia. 80s yes. Maybe next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That is next year. The 20's. It's going to be my decade!

Strumms wrote: »
    80s were crap..mass unemployment, mass emigration, ****ty fashion, crap weather, Northern Ireland situation truly in a heap, it cost a fortune to fly anywhere...

90’s..economy in better shape, people started coming home, still crap weather, peace process started, technology enhanced our lives, travel became somewhat affordable, decent affordable home computers, mobile phones enabled better communication and other aspects of life...

Home computers and mobile phones as mass products were very late 90s. The 80s had a different breed of home computers but by the early 90s that has died out.

That is next year. The 20's. It's going to be my decade!

Oh yeah.

Christ.

I noticed the 90's glasses seems to have came back into fashion for the 'youngsters' these days.
    Those big round circular ones in particular.

il_570xN.470968881_fp8b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Nah, I agree with the OP. The 1990s were pretty awful. I wasn't into dance music or drugs, so I was left with my jangly guitar bands and my Richard Curtis romcoms.
    1995 was a pretty great year: Pulp Fiction, Pulp (the band!), an amazing summer... but apart from that, meh.
    Kids: don't make my mistake - don't do the decade 'wrong'!!

Ok so which decades were good in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We all had socks in the 90s.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

I got my first degree, my first job, my first car, and my first ride in the 90s.

The decade of disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭HBC08

I kind of hate all of those.

I love all of them and regularly listen to Jagged Little Pill.

Still chuckle though when a mate of mine called her The Singing Tampon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The 80s were better. Looking back, I'd rather re-watch Reeling the Years 80s versus 90s.
    Well, its made better. Hindsight is required, the 90s ones were made with 11 to 1 years hindsight; the 80s had 10-19.

The 00s series suffered from this even worse really

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Fond memories of Saturday morning (usually) with the brother, watching F1 on the tv.

Massive moment!

They had never bothered getting a recording in time for Spa '98. I read something talking to/interviewing the person who dealt with the podium celebrations; referring to her starting work "after the 1998 Belgian GP", which suggests someone may have been fired for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Raves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I grew up in the 90's. Part of it is probably just nostalgia but it was a good/fun time for us in Ireland. I remember my mother crying because we won the Eurovision and saying to me 'we never use to win anything' :) and getting into the World Cup especially 1994. That was a very special time for me personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Good times in fairness. A happy medium. Just enough of a good thing without being too far gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Most people had relatively modest lifestyles in 1990, big improvement by 2000, but when I think about it have we advanced much since? Suppose it has become acceptable and common to be openly LGBT, but there is way more anxiety now. Young people mature much more slowly too.
    Think this is a less happy country than it was 20 years ago. People work very hard now, less community, less social interaction and a bit less friendliness.
    May have the rose tinted glasses on, but I definitely think we could do with a little bit less upheaval in the next few years. Technology has changed Irish social interaction a lot, could do with a period of less disruption.

Advertisement