Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭prunudo

The 90's were great, some classic songs that decade

https://youtu.be/tvLDm8821jQ

https://youtu.be/nmYi5u9BhtI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

topper75 wrote: »
    Speaking of comedy shows, any ould shower at all could win the hurling. You never knew.

Offaly got one. Wexford got one.

Clare managed to get two of them, FFS.
    Two Offaly won two

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Clare also won three Munster Titles

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭specky4eyes

I'm guessing all the 90's lovers were raving all the way through the 90's and beyond, I certainly was and loved it, and also loved everybody and the world Thursday-Sunday, hated everything Monday-Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

branie2 wrote: »
    Clare also won three Munster Titles

Leitrim won a Connacht football title.

• Advertisement

Just the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

grindle wrote: »

So you're telling me that if I scour the house for all my 90s stuff, that I can then make money from flogging it to idiot hipsters? Early retirement, here I come :D

1995 was that scorcher of a summer

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe it's because we did so well on the Eurovision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Two Offaly won two

Ah 98 doesn't really count, should really be awarded to Clare ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Ah 98 doesn't really count, should really be awarded to Clare ;)

Go away and shyte :D

You can thank Jimmy Cooney for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

No social media
    Little economic uncertainty

The Internet became accessible to the public in the mid-90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The injustice done to Clare in 98 would have overshadowed any other decade, but two having already been won we could accept it, and laugh as Offaly disappeared into irrelevance!
    Remember Guinness started sponsoring the hurling championship in the mid 90s, the TV ads were fantastic.
    Might be overstating things, but the GAA changes showed the country was changing. GAA had always been conservative but all of a sudden we had minnows dominantimg and the back door in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭pah

The 90's was my decade. Coming of age at the start of the decade I went into secondary school in 93. Over those 6 years I grew as a person in so many ways, first love, of music, of film of, girls so many great beats already mentioned here but for me.

Automatic For The People
    Nevermind
    The Bends
    Jagged Little Pill
    Californication

Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Manic Street Preachers, Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, RATM with a load of excellent stuff

Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Armageddon, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars Trilogy re release, pulp fiction, speed, true romance, American pie, the Matrix, South Park, American Beauty

Buffy the vampire slayer, ST TNG, DS9 & VOY Stargate SG-1

OG PlayStation, Days lost to Tomb raider cracking puzzles and cracking boobs.

I made and kept great friends. 10 of us went for pints last month, coincidentally 20 yrs to the day of our last day at school. We reminisced of course but a lot of it was about music, TV, Film. What is good now and what was good then, what holds up etc. I think they would all say they enjoyed the 90's TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

There was a very optimistic vibe in the country. A lot of things coalesced : the peace process; the football team being competitive internationally; the economic boom and consequent end of mass emigration; Irish music, film and general culture getting serious status abroad, the country becoming more Liberal and the church finally being challenged on sexual abuse (though doctrinaire catholicism still had cultural relevance that would be unimaginable now, does anyone remember the Faith of Our Fathers album keeping Eminem from No. 1 in the charts? ).

Cinema was much better. Now moribund genres like the crime caper (any 90s Tarantino) or the slacker/college film (dazed and confused) were getting greenlit by Hollywood, whereas now it only cares about made by numbers superhero franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

The 90s were class.

But "now" is always sh1t, when you think about it.

In the 90s, people pined for the 70s, or 60s.

When the 90s was the present time, people thought it was modern life (which of course, it was, seeing as it was the present)

Just remember, in twenty years, people will be looking back on now fondly. "Do you remember how we used to do x, how we wore y, how everyone wasn't so z"

Kind of scares me. Just in the 90s, we didn't know we'd be looking back on more innocent times, no smart phones, or mass internet, no screen life.

What in God's name will we have in another 25 years that will make right now seem like simple times in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Get Real wrote: »
    What in God's name will we have in another 25 years that will make right now seem like simple times in comparison?

I dunno, but its got to be really bad if we're nostalgic for the days when Donald Trump was president.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I dunno, but its got to be really bad if we're nostalgic for the days when Donald Trump was president.

Don't really consider that part of my life.
    I'm shocked by the amount of people who do.

Did you meet him? What did he do to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

He's a cretin (a smart one though, you have to be to become a billionaire) but I remember much of the same disdain for G. W. Bush in the noughties...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,072 ✭✭✭✭L1011

(a smart one though, you have to be to become a billionaire)

He inherited his wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The 90,s we had new tech like cd,s , mp3 players , the internet became
    avaidable to the public, Satellite tv, sky tv.
    But smartphones were not so advanced with apps and facebook,
    people did not just go to a pub and stare at a phone or look at apps .
    Now at every social event people are taking photos or selfies .
    There were no apps like tinder for dating ,the ,nmore advanced
    phones could maybe take low res photos, or play mp3,s .
    Young people in the 90,s were not obsessed by social media or looking for likes .
    In the 80s, the church was in full control, the 90s, was maybe the time
    when there was more sense of freedom and there was more separation
    between church and state .
    there was a great sense of optimism ,it was like ireland was becoming a more modern open society .
    There were more powerful consoles like the ps2 and dreamcast which
    had impressive 3d type graphics .
    Special effects were becoming more advanced with films like the matrix
    and jurassic park .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I grew up in the 1980s. Reagan to me was a puppet on Spitting Image.
    In the 1990s, Bill Clinton and George Bush Senior were just targets for American comedians, and impersonators.
    I wasn't around for Watergate, but for me Nixon is the head Cariacature in Futurama.

I'm sure in the macro sense they affected Ireland's economics (and the North).
    But they weren't really part of my life.

Let's hope today's kids see Trump in same way!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

L1011 wrote: »
    He inherited his wealth.

He also kept it and grew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The old days are always the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Fond memories of Saturday morning (usually) with the brother, watching F1 on the tv.

Massive moment!
    Forgot about that, used to love F1 when Jordan were around. Heinz-Harald Frentzen, legend.
    pah wrote: »
    The 90's was my decade. Coming of age at the start of the decade I went into secondary school in 93. Over those 6 years I grew as a person in so many ways, first love, of music, of film of, girls so many great beats already mentioned here but for me.

OG PlayStation, Days lost to Tomb raider cracking puzzles and cracking boobs.
    You forgot the best console of all time, the SNES

Choose life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A lot of people associate whatever decade they grew up in as being golden times as they were young, carefree and had their lives ahead of them. But the 90's really were great times for Ireland.

I grew up along the border in the 80's and its hard to describe just how grim things were with Northern Ireland. Part and parcel of every day life was hearing about the latest atrocity. When things changed in the 90's, I actually found it difficult to get my head around the fact that we would be able to freely travel between north and south, and that the fighting would actually stop. Roads reopened for the first time since the 60's, and we had an American president helping out with moving negotiations forward.

Aside from that, all of a sudden there was a bit of prosperity. College fees were abolished which opened up the prospect of third level education to a lot more people. The GAA was superb with a raft of teams in both codes making breakthroughs, then there was the Irish football team too. I'll leave the music out of it as thats subjective, and you could make an argument that other decades were better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He's a cretin (a smart one though, you have to be to become a billionaire) but I remember much of the same disdain for G. W. Bush in the noughties...
    And how many of us ever thought we'd be positively happy to trade Dubya for a sitting president?

Advertisement