Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Smoking soap bar washed down with a few pints of Breo

A decade before its time, like Kilkenny.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A decade before its time, like Kilkenny.

KK is still going, I like it

KK is still going, I like it

Ditto. But getting harder to find and it don't get no respect.
    Great beer.
    Same beer from some on-trend craft brewery would be getting massive buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Pre 911, great music, everything was on the up and up.

Yes, there seemed to be a shift in dynamics around the world after this event. I can't explain what but I felt there was

Ditto. But getting harder to find and it don't get no respect.
    Great beer.
    Same beer from some on-trend craft brewery would be getting massive buzz.

You tend to get it in touristy places. John Smith's is quite similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Nah, I agree with the OP. The 1990s were pretty awful. I wasn't into dance music or drugs, so I was left with my jangly guitar bands and my Richard Curtis romcoms.
    1995 was a pretty great year: Pulp Fiction, Pulp (the band!), an amazing summer... but apart from that, meh.
    Kids: don't make my mistake - don't do the decade 'wrong'!!

Yo Breo as Guinness does a Michael Jackson

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/yo-breo-as-guinness-does-a-michael-jackson-1.145069

lol, wonder if they'd publish that now

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

The drinks weren't... Hudson Blue! Would strip the hide off an elephant never mind your stomach lining the next morning.

Oh god there’s a blast from the past- it was launched in 1996- the year I turned 18. There was a promotion night the the pub I went to for my birthday-I won 5 free pints on top of the 5 I had bought. I still remember the morning 22 years later!

Music - OASIS v BLUR!!! This isn't just about music. This is the defining choice you will make.

The start of the Premier League. CANTONA!!!

Friends. Frasier. ER.

Blockbusters like Independence Day.

Hit me baby one more time.

Riverdance. Eurovisions where we actually WIN. And are expected to.

The start of a generally available internet.

Irish soccer teams at TWO world cups.

The Commitments.

These are some of my favourite things.

Oasis aged really badly imo, not that they were much good in the first place, they just managed to attract an audience that wasn't listening to guitar based music at the time

• Advertisement

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Oh god there’s a blast from the past- it was launched in 1996- the year I turned 18. There was a promotion night the the pub I went to for my birthday-I won 5 free pints on top of the 5 I had bought. I still remember the morning 22 years later!

Permanently on promotion. Only way they could get anyone to drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nah, I agree with the OP. The 1990s were pretty awful. I wasn't into dance music or drugs, so I was left with my jangly guitar bands and my Richard Curtis romcoms.
    1995 was a pretty great year: Pulp Fiction, Pulp (the band!), an amazing summer... but apart from that, meh.
    Kids: don't make my mistake - don't do the decade 'wrong'!!

I went to see blur at the rds in 1995. Class.

Edit: no it was 96. Still class

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I like parts of the 90s, particularly the very end. I love the 80s though, then the noughties. And who can forget the 60's? Well I guess many of us who were around then can't, but those who were not do not have any memories of them.

The 70s only manage to come in 5th for me. Of course the teenies are not over yet and I'm not sure where they will end up in my all time favourite decades....

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I went to see blur at the rds in 1995. Class.

Edit: no it was 96. Still class

I was at that, Supergrass supported them. Cans of cider beforehand and scored some wan from Naas I remember. Those were the days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I wish grunge fashion would make a re-appearance. I tend to dress down mostly, so having an excuse to walk around with a check flannel shirt tied around my waist, a well-worn looking Metallica t-shirt, Doc Marten boots and baggy jeans sounds ideal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Oasis and Blur by day

Mitsubishi by night

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

People interacted more. People are lonelier now because they are all on phones and trying to be Instagram queens.

The music was better. The clothes were better.

They were glorious and grunge tinged.

Everything is so generic now.

I miss the 90s.

When only girls wore girls' jeans.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I miss the 90s.

When only girls wore girls' jeans.

At least in 2019 only cowboys and culchies wear boot cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It was a period of relative peace and stability.

I thought someone would have mentioned that, but it looks like everyone's ****ing on about music charts and fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

The 90's were great. No fking iPhones, no fking Kardashians no cyber bullying...

Plenty of beautiful music, early Radiohead, Britpop, Seattle, Stone Roses... Plenty of beautiful non narcissistic women- All Saints making cool pop music/videos, wearing clothes, seems like forever ago.

• Advertisement

It was a period of relative peace and stability.
    I thought someone would have mentioned that, but it looks like everyone's ****ing on about music charts and fashion.

*cough* I refer you to "It was probably the most care free decade since the 1920s". *cough*
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I was at that, Supergrass supported them. Cans of cider beforehand and scored some wan from Naas I remember. Those were the days...

Oh yeah, completely forgot about supergrass. I was only 13, no cider for me. My drinking days didn't start until the next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

At least in 2019 only cowboys and culchies wear boot cut

Yes. Nothing says urban sophisticate like dressing like your sister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 The Rapture

Achtung Baby and Zoo TV

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yes. Nothing says urban sophisticate like dressing like your sister.

:confused:

Heyday of Commodore Amiga.
    Still a walk in the park to clear airport security for a transatlantic flight like I did.
    I also flew on a Boeing 727 in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I grew up in the 90s, it felt like a good time. The 80's were fairly bad in Ireland, but coming into the 90s we had a genuine Celtic Tiger that wasn't some bollox unsustainable property boom and also the conflict in the six counties was cooling down.

Growing up these things weren't really evident to me because you're just a kid, you aren't reading the news or following events and analysing things. I just remember it being better than the 80's, more of the families in our estate had dad's and even mum's working. There was more money about, if only a little bit more.

You saw a significant Irish identity abroad and it was a massively affirming experience. We won back to back Eurovisions. We went to consecutive World Cups and weren't cannon fodder. Irish players were the mainstays of Liverpool and Manchester United. We had massive groups like U2 and the Cranberries.

I think also it was a very exciting time culturally. I've heard people criticize the 90's as the decade were everything finally went to **** and it had no identity - I think those people maybe viewed epochs too narrowly, for instance the 60s is free love, the 70s is disco etc.

The 90's had a significant cultural identity - grunge, britpop (which was the first musical and cultural trend I remember occuring), dance, techno. This is to name a few.

I think, by the end of the 90's, it was probably the first decade in Irish history were you weren't expected to emigrate. All of my family chose to remain in Ireland, as many were studying. They didn't have to leave after secondary or leave after third level. Some of them would have just entered the workforce in the early 90s and while it wouldn't have been booming, they got by just fine.

As a kid growing up, I think what most occured to me was the explosion in technology - we went from cartridge based 8-bit or 16-bit videogame systems to 32-bit CD systems like the Playstation. There were movies like Jurassic Park with dinosaurs, you couldn't tell which bits were CGI and which bits were animatronics. The internet started to come on the scene and the idea you could talk to someone from Texas or Germany or Australia in real time was mental.

I suppose what was really special to me about the internet back in the 90s was how there were so many fan-based user websites, where someone loved an album, or loved a videogame, and made their own website. You don't see that now. Everything has sort of migrated towards the big two - Facebook and Youtube. And yes there are tonnes of other websites that handle other things - Flickr or Boards, but it used to seem it was much bigger before everything migrated towards Facebook and Youtube.

TL;DR VERSION ATLANTIC LONGWAVE 252

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

I was born in the mid 70, and in the late 80s 2 of my older siblings had no choice but to emmigrate, it's was the main option there. By the time I did my leaving the tide was turning and most youth had the choice to stay in Ireland. I also remember a great pub scene, living in rural Ireland you could go to the pub Monday to Sunday and there would always be a good few out playing darts, pool or cards. The rave scene was also taking off and there were some great weekends spent flying around fields or beaches.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    You saw a significant Irish identity abroad and it was a massively affirming experience. We won back to back Eurovisions. We went to consecutive World Cups and weren't cannon fodder. Irish players were the mainstays of Liverpool and Manchester United. We had massive groups like U2 and the Cranberries...
    I think, by the end of the 90's, it was probably the first decade in Irish history were you weren't expected to emigrate.2

You have hit so many marks there future posts are probably superfluous but I will just pick out that Ireland was probaby at peak global profile in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Music - OASIS v BLUR!!! This isn't just about music. This is the defining choice you will make.

The start of the Premier League. CANTONA!!!

Friends. Frasier. ER.

Blockbusters like Independence Day.

Hit me baby one more time.

Riverdance. Eurovisions where we actually WIN. And are expected to.

The start of a generally available internet.

Irish soccer teams at TWO world cups.

The Commitments.

These are some of my favourite things.

You may have a point re soccer - from memory, UK soccer broke free from its association with pitch invasions and thuggery as UK clubs invested in their grounds in the wake of the Taylor Report - but the other cultural stuff was garbage (except for Frasier - timeless word play - and Britney - that song was excellent & she became a celebrity phenomenon in the new century). Blur's Little England phase was a cultural dead end, as was Oasis' pastiche Beatles stick.
    The Commitments, the World Cups, the Eurovisions... that's nostalgia for when Ireland was suddenly cool - that's patriotism, not a measure of their quality.

Advertisement