Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people love the 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

90s was a weird era alright. Like, a good thing.
    Video games came leaps and bounds with the playstation. So many classic movies. Wrestling was as hot as it's ever been. Often sight to see someone wearing a stone cold 3:16 tshirt walking down the road.

But just like anything else it has come and gone. That said I still think it has more things than the 2000s or 2010s. Maybe i'm just getting old.

What is the biggest thing the latter is famous for? 2000s was the rise of the internet with the likes of YouTube and the start of social media (bebo, myspace, facebook) but social medias true rise to dominance is the 2010s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Second half of the 90's were great, You could pinch a girls arse and not get 5 years, Ibiza uncovered, unbelievable tunes, great night clubs

Now i'm just a miserable fcuker giving out about everything and anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I'd much rather now. Everyone has rose tints for the past. 90's were great but there was also bull**** back then. Each era comes with its own bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

What is the biggest thing the latter is famous for? 2000s was the rise of the internet with the likes of YouTube and the start of social media (bebo, myspace, facebook) but social medias true rise to dominance is the 2010s.

A less time-consuming era of social media, before Instagram and Snapchat took over with people constantly posting stories and following 'Influencers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

9/11
    Iraq War
    Bush
    Bertie
    Global financial crash
    Big Brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Music: Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters

Sport: 94 World Cup & 98 World Cup. Man Utd Treble in 99. Leeds were in the premier.

Celtic Tiger, people had money. A lot of people never had experienced the poor times of the previous decade.

Generally it's people in their 30's -40's who speak highly of the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Music: Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters

Sport: 94 World Cup & 98 World Cup. Man Utd Treble in 99. Leeds were in the premier.

Celtic Tiger, people had money. A lot of people never had experienced the poor times of the previous decade.

Generally it's people in their 30's -40's who speak highly of the 90's
    That's right. The teenagers never mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Edgware wrote: »
    That's right. The teenagers never mention it

Teenagers now, were not born until the 2000's in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I didn't realise people loved the 90s until I read this thread. They were grand but so was any time in history really depending on personal circumstances. It's all nostalgia bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Teenagers now, were not born until the 2000's in most cases

Didn't take you too long to work that out

• Advertisement

Can't speak for the 70's but the 80's were fcuking miserable, high unemployment, crap music, crap looking cars, crap looking hair do's, Smog, seemed like it rained every single day of the decade

mid to late 90's and early noughties when times were good, money was flowing and houses were affordable for most

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can't speak for the 70's but the 80's were fcuking miserable, high unemployment, crap music, crap looking cars, crap looking hair do's, Smog, seemed like it rained every single day of the decade

The 80s had some cool cars, and hair dos. I have nothing but fond memories of the 80s so again, it's down to the individual!

Second half of the 90's were great, You could pinch a girls arse and not get 5 years, Ibiza uncovered, unbelievable tunes, great night clubs

Now i'm just a miserable fcuker giving out about everything and anyone

Women are glad they don't have you pinching arses these days. We can rave in peace without some perv grabbing us.

Women are glad they don't have you pinching arses these days. We can rave in peace without some perv grabbing us.

Well that took longer than expected................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I didn't realise people loved the 90s until I read this thread. They were grand but so was any time in history really depending on personal circumstances. It's all nostalgia bullsh*t.

Even nostalgia was better in the 90’s

Ipso wrote: »
    Even nostalgia was better in the 90’s

People are nostalgic for times they didn't even experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ohhh the 90's ahhh walking down Patrick Street in Cork then heading into the bodega and the sublime tunes pumping out of the doors, onto the Crannog have a few Scoops cross the road, que up outside Sir Henry s for an hour....

The doors clanging to Greg and Shane aka fishgodeep, throw in the jacket....

People all loved up inside the door...

Accents from the arse hole of Kerry to innner City Dublin and the Corkonian tones.....

Shannon lads getting out of the minibus....

Sweat Sir Henry s....

Then hanging around outside o looneys in Lahinch the following night.... drinking pints...

The sun going down in Liscannor bay.....no fake tans.... Everyone was wearing 501's

nthclare wrote: »
    Ohhh the 90's ahhh walking down Patrick Street in Cork then heading into the bodega and the sublime tunes pumping out of the doors, onto the Crannog have a few Scoops cross the road, que up outside Sir Henry s for an hour....

The doors clanging to Greg and Shane aka fishgodeep, throw in the jacket....

People all loved up inside the door...

Accents from the arse hole of Kerry to innner City Dublin and the Corkonian tones.....

Shannon lads getting out of the minibus....

Sweat Sir Henry s....

Then hanging around outside o looneys in Lahinch the following night.... drinking pints...

The sun going down in Liscannor bay.....no fake tans.... Everyone was wearing 501's

and Kickers around the mid 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Personally I've never understood why women, certainly minority women and people of colour get nostalgic about ANY decade from the 20th century.

We live in the 'woke' era now, and anyone political liberal who excessively watches 20th century films or 20th century music is a complete and utter hyopcrite in my opinion, they should stick to the 2000s/2010s only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A great decade - things started to really improve from 1992 onwards. The grim 1980s was left far behind. Great music, TV, the country was more wealthy and it was a really optimistic time. I really miss it.

Real nostalgia for me here:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Unless you lived in Yugoslavia the 90's were great

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

lbc2019 wrote: »

Not sure people of colour or the LGBT community would agree. 20th century nostalgia should be heavily restricted/limited.

Northern Ireland was still at the height of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Northern Ireland was still at the height of the troubles.

The GFA agreement was signed in the 1990s and Bill Clinton was in town mid-90s... so you could look at it both ways in NI.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The GFA agreement was signed in the 1990s and Bill Clinton was in town mid-90s... so you could look at it both ways in NI.

Ya I know but I don't think the 90s wouldn't be remembered as fondly up here. I moved here in 2000 and wouldn't have wanted to move any earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

DColeman wrote: »
    Personally I've never understood why women, certainly minority women and people of colour get nostalgic about ANY decade from the 20th century.

We live in the 'woke' era now, and anyone political liberal who excessively watches 20th century films or 20th century music is a complete and utter hyopcrite in my opinion, they should stick to the 2000s/2010s only.

There's always one who has to spoil the fun, I hope you're messing :D

I'm a woman and I think life was much better in the 1990s than it is now. Maybe it's because I was in my 20s then and I'm in my 40s now but still it was better. No internet p0rn, just dog eared top shelf magazines that were very innocent by today's standards. No dating apps - if you wanted to meet somebody you had to get out and make an effort in order to do so.

Ironically in this "woke" era there seems to be a lot less respect for young women than my experience in the 90s. Girls have to go to a lot more effort grooming wise than we did for arguably worse treatment - hookups, tinder dates, ghosting and demands for nude pics. In the 90s young women could happily go out wearing old 501s, Doc Martens, a checked shirt, natural hair and minimal make-up. Not so now but I notice that 90s fashions are starting to find their way back among the younger generation. Hopefully 90s values will too.
    Not sure people of colour or the LGBT community would agree. 20th century nostalgia should be heavily restricted/limited.

I don't know how much has changed with people of colour - I worked in healthcare which was multicultural before anywhere else was. "People of colour" weren't called that, they were called colleagues or patients. Just like "people of no colour" aka pasty Paddies.

I remember the clerical abuse scandals in the mid 1990s which was real eye opener and a big step forwards for Ireland. It effectively destroyed the power of the church in cities but not so much in rural areas.

I think most universities would have had LGBT societies in the 1990s or even in the 1980s. That community had problems well into the 1980s, David Norris did lot of work for the LGBT communities then and continues to defend human rights today. I don't know of any intolerance towards LGBT people from my peer group but I admit that it was harder for LGBT people to come out back then.

However in rural Ireland it is still difficult for LGBT to come out. Parts of rural Ireland have not really moved on since the 1950s and in some places churches are still packed out for Saturday and Sunday mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It was a time of optimism, social media hardly existed , smartphones were not used , young people now seem to obsessed with social media,
    taking selfies ,posting on instagram or facebook .
    Rents were lower than they are now .
    there was no housing crisis .
    I look at the news now ,its mostly bad, extreme weather,global warming, trump , war with iran maybe .
    Also the power and influence of the catholic church was at a low point in ireland .
    it was the start of a new more modern ireland .
    Its not just nostalgia , life was better for young people than it is now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Luckily we have your wokeness to tell us what should be restricted. Solidarity Mx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The 1990s was the 1960s Ireland never had.

Brilliant decade to come of age. :)

Advertisement