Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

Sorry to tell certain posters this but eh,

John Craven is 78 years old.

I should probably post a link to the AH "help" thread, just in case:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082164

There's been 9 presidents of Ireland.
    Only 2 of these predate me!
    That's to say, we were only on our third present when I was born.

#metoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Not being able to remember the name of Rice Krispies earlier.And calling them Snap,Crackle and Pop.Much to the amusement of my kids.Happening a bit to often for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,855 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

FFred wrote: »
    When you notice that your George Foreman grill is so old that’s it’s growing hair..

When you still have (and use ) one of the original GF grills :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When you realise that your date of birth is closer to the release of the classic silent films Battleship Potemkin and The Gold Rush than today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Most actresses these days are younger than you

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Events I remember well in my lifetime being taught in school history class.

I was browsing WH Smith in Belfast last weekend and saw a study guide for a History syllabus. On the front cover was a big picture of Saddam Hussein's statue being pulled down after the invasion in 2003. So yeah, clearly this event I remember well and protested against (Iraq war itself) vociferously is now being taught in History classes here in the north. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Realising that 1995 wasn't just a few years ago, like it is in my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I was browsing a 2nd hand/vintage site the other day and it appears that crappy plasticky midi systems from the late 80s and early 90s have earned a certain cachet. I'm not talking about good quality hi-fi separates that still sound great but garbage 3/4-in-ones from amstrad, grundig, texet etc. It seems that the ones with the most useless gimics like hundreds of buttons, levers, light-up equalisers etc are the most valuable-going for 2 or 3 hundred euros a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

sabat wrote: »
    I was browsing a 2nd hand/vintage site the other day and it appears that crappy plasticky midi systems from the late 80s and early 90s have earned a certain cachet. I'm not talking about good quality hi-fi separates that still sound great but garbage 3/4-in-ones from amstrad, grundig, texet etc. It seems that the ones with the most useless gimics like hundreds of buttons, levers, light-up equalisers etc are the most valuable-going for 2 or 3 hundred euros a pop.

Damn it, I threw away one of those not long ago. My dad asked me why I had that sh1te clogging up his attic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Watching the new Lion King film coming out and realising that there's a whole new generation of kids bout to get messed up by THAT THING that you're still not entirely over :pac: But in some sinister, regurgitated uncanny valley version of cinema classics that you cannot understand the appeal of.

When you realise your demographic is now the demographic that's being pandered to with nostagia-fuelled concert tours and club nights and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I was walking to the shop and a child about 2.5yo said something to his Mum and she said to the child while looking at me "no, you say an elderly gentleman".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Damn it, I threw away one of those not long ago. My dad asked me why I had that sh1te clogging up his attic.

Because nothing screams ‘90s like a double tape deck with rotating triple CD platform on top

In faux metallic silver I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

I saw a review of an event that happens every Monday evening and finishes around 11pm. It said "It finishes at the perfect time if you're going for a night out after."

Who goes out at 11pm on a Monday night???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:eek:

And they wouldn't even have a line in for you to hook up bluetooth too

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Beast4mdaeast

My creaky knees and sore back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

€8.50 for a haircut on thursday’s

When you get a load of post thanks for just posting the following number without any context:
    01 811 8055

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Because nothing screams ‘90s like a double tape deck with rotating triple CD platform on top

In faux metallic silver I might add.

Hell ya, have this exact thing in the attic. Dunno why i've brought it everywhere with me upon moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When you get a load of post thanks for just posting the following number without any context:
    01 811 8055

I only know what it is because one of those nostalgia programmes came on TV the other day.

For slightly younger people, the number would be 081 811 8181. I cam remember when it later changed to 0181 811 8181.

*Awaits this post being used as an example of **** that makes PlentyOhToole feel old*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I don't think they even cost that much at the time (ignoring inflation).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It is a bit of weird economics. But there is still a niche demand in the market, chiefly people with legacy CD collections whose own playing equipment has failed. The trouble is the suppliers have deemed such products obsolete and have all but ceased production and abandoned the market. So the prices of secondhand ones remaining in attics gets silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My birthday today.

My 5 yr old lad asked me to show him how old I was on my fingers. Displayed up 36 by flashing 10 three times, then holding up 6 fingers.

His "WOW, you're very old" didn't inspire me with youthful thoughts:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    My birthday today.

My 5 yr old lad asked me to show him how old I was on my fingers. Displayed up 36 by flashing 10 three times, then holding up 6 fingers.

His "WOW, you're very old" didn't inspire me with youthful thoughts:p

Heh Happy Birthday Old Man. I'm 47 and my 11 year old daughter, whenever she wants to plan something in the near future, always ends the conversation with "If your still alive". Heh kids these days yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,329 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cars: I looked at 2000 cars now and I can't believe they are nearly twenty years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

01 811 8055
    I have one roller skate (left foot) and I want to swap it for a space hopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

The winner of the Tour de France is 22... I feel old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Finishing my pint hoping to be home to see Prime Time.

I was sitting on the rug in the front room earlier and when I went to get up my knees and my arm made cracking sounds ,don't like this aging process one bit tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was sitting on the rug in the front room earlier and when I went to get up my knees and my arm made cracking sounds ,don't like this aging process one bit tbh.

lol.. the time to worry is when your knees will no longer allow you to get up at all!

When I sit outside, i put the garden chair by the big gate so I can "climb" up the bars and even that is getting harder.. Just no leverage left now... makes me laugh. Awed I have reached this venerable age. Thanks to decades of ballet, I am still supple and bending to pick things up is easy.. Just the knees!

Advertisement