Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It really hit me when I realised that from next year people born in the 80s will start to turn 40. Surely this cannot be right? I mean they were always the little kids and weren't the 80s only about 20 years ago...

sunbeam wrote: »

Realising that Rue McClanahan, the actress who played the youngest 'Golden Girl' in the 1980s series, was only four years older than I am now when it started to air back in 1985.

I'm only slightly older than you by a few years and that really hurt :(

NON-MOD NOTE: GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS THREAD

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It really hit me when I realised that from next year people born in the 80s will start to turn 40. Surely this cannot be right? I mean they were always the little kids and weren't the 80s only about 20 years ago...
    I'm only slightly older than you by a few years and that really hurt :(

NON-MOD NOTE: GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS THREAD

:p
    I'm conflicted about these posts because I'll be turning 40 soon and that makes me feel old as hell. It was only yesterday I was late teens/early 20's considering anyone over 40 to have one foot in the grave. And here I am on a thread about nostalgia where some people are looking back to the youth of their 40's :P

I suppose it's all perspective and here's to another 40 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Looking at old footage of Charles and Di's Wedding in 1981 and realising I'm now older than Diana's mother was on that day. I was eight years old at the time.

Realising that Rue McClanahan, the actress who played the youngest 'Golden Girl' in the 1980s series, was only four years older than I am now when it started to air back in 1985.

And as I mentioned in a previous incarnation of this thread, the fact that we now have posters who were not even born when I created my account in August 2002...

less than four years older for me. jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Found my first passport in a box recently. Its green (the passport, not the box:pac:).

I got it because I was getting married and we were going abroad on honeymoon. I got married in 1979. I was 24.

When I see Pope John Paul II on Reeling in the Years, kissing the tarmac, it reminds me I was away on honeymoon when he did that.

Sometimes a photo comes up on my phone. Its a scanned in photo of me and my now wife, taken on our first date Aug 2nd 1974, by one of those street photographers. I look a little different nowadays.

So the box of tricks, the tv and my phone will have to be destroyed :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Yes! I'm 20 next birthday! :D

Looking at old footage of Charles and Di's Wedding in 1981 and realising I'm now older than Diana's mother was on that day. I was eight years old at the time.

And as I mentioned in a previous incarnation of this thread, the fact that we now have posters who were not even born when I created my account in August 2002...

And Rue's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,317 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Reading this thread is making me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

When my ex tells me my age is why he's leaving me (I'm older)..that makes me feel old😣!! But then I look at my great bazoobas and non wrinkled face and think fck you basturdface!😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When my ex tells me my age is why he's leaving me (I'm older)..that makes me feel old��!! But then I look at my great bazoobas and non wrinkled face and think fck you basturdface!��

Did he not realise you were older when you started dating? Why is it only an issue for him now? Did he think you'd stay the same age for ever? He sounds stupid, bullet dodged! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

lbc2019 wrote: »
    And Rue's dead.

On a brighter note Betty White who played Rose is still alive at 97 and still acting. Imagine the amount of change she has seen in her lifetime

My oldest grandad who lived to be 91 was my age in 1931 when my mother was born. My oldest granny was a few years younger. My oldest aunt, who died before I was born, was born almost 110 years ago.

Sometimes it freaks me out a bit to think that my grandparents were young Victorians who were well in their 30s before we became an independent country.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Moomoomacshoe

Did he not realise you were older when you started dating? Why is it only an issue for him now? Did he think you'd stay the same age for ever? He sounds stupid, bullet dodged! :)

He did. I don't know. Probably and yes..THANK YOU...definitely dodged a bullet there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s pretty shocking to realise that we are almost in the 2020s and that 2000 was almost 20 years ago and that 1990 was almost 30 years ago.

I am 44 years of age now, and don’t really feel all that different than when I was 27 except that I am more wise and less prone to get overly angry about a perceived injustice in the world or jump to conclusions about something without considering all the angles and points of view. I’m also, unfortunately, a good bit more world-weary and cynical.

It’s a bit scary to think that at the age I am now, my late father and mother were the same age in the mid and late 1980s respectively.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If you are 18 years old now, there have been people living in space for every day of your life. The International Space Station has been continuously occupied since Nov 2nd 2000.

I remember the first moon landing and the launch of the two Voyager space probes in 1977 (now travelling at the farthest distance ever reached and still in contact with earth, 42 years later :eek:). The recent moon landing anniversary and the talk about milestone space achievements since, made me feel old.

I also remember our last real summer - the record breaking drought of 1976 (the first time I heard about 'The Greenhouse Effect' - now re-branded as Global Warming). People talking of 'scorchers' that have happened since (some as recently as the 1990's), make me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

When my ex tells me my age is why he's leaving me (I'm older)..that makes me feel old😣!! But then I look at my great bazoobas and non wrinkled face and think fck you basturdface!😄

Better off without his crap... My wife is almost 10 years older than me and I have the wrinkles and grey hair, not her.... And her great bazoobas too, lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Today I just feel weary. Same **** different day. I'll be fine again tomorrow and posting in the gratitude thread but today I just feel I've done all this crap before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Ahh, juneg. Glad that you can feel positive enough to look forward to a good day tomorrow, (and the day after, and the day after.....).

Won't offer any platitudes, just wishing you well. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A 29 year old of my acquaintance doesn’t know who Boris Becker is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Betty White is so old that she starred in a show about being old before lots of posters on this site were born (thanks Twitter).

sugarman wrote: »
    Want to feel really old then?

Vice City was set in 1986 and released in 2002. So 16 years apart.

2002 was 17 years ago. So its now further apart than the games story line was.

All these years later, and I still don't get why so many people liked vice city. Both 3 and San Andreas were much better.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It’s pretty shocking to realise that we are almost in the 2020s and that 2000 was almost 20 years ago and that 1990 was almost 30 years ago.

I remember Tomorrow's World on the BBC often had a feature where they looked at what life would be like in the far future of 2020. Next year's going to mess with my head. Especially if everyone starts saying crap like "where's my hoverboard?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭Be right back

Back pain..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When Sonia O'Sullivan won her medals in the Sydney Olympics in 2000 she was 30 now shes 49 nearly 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mirrors are banned.... bad enough when someone kindly takes a photo of you and you don't recognise it. and the worst was when I was playing about with an old laptop and wondered who the old crone on the screen was... I had the camera on

But as they say, what cannot be cured must be endured... and I am at peace with what I have. No mutton dressed as lamb here; simply mutton ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Youtube - I love it for instructional vids and think it's an awesome learning tool but my kids watch the strangest Sh1t on it which I honestly have no clue about and am deeply suspicious of -sound like a gran dad just writing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I watched the Coronation ( Queen Elizabeth 2) on TV.

We made sure we had a set ( tiny b/w) and that every car in the road had a suppressor fitted. Everyone crowded in...

McGaggs wrote: »
    I remember Tomorrow's World on the BBC often had a feature where they looked at what life would be like in the far future of 2020. Next year's going to mess with my head. Especially if everyone starts saying crap like "where's my hoverboard?"

Beyond 2000 anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Beyond 2000 anyone?

I’m old enough to remember tuning into Ripley’s believe it or not with zeal, every Sunday afternoon.

Beyond 2000 anyone?

Is that the Australian show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I’m old enough to remember tuning into Ripley’s believe it or not with zeal, every Sunday afternoon.

Ripleys Believe it or Not with Jack Palance.Loved that show.His voice was so unnerving

Advertisement