Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tigger123 wrote: »
    Not wanting to have your ads appearing next to neo Nazis isnt exactly an unreasonable position to take.

neo-nazis also consume...

r/ConsumeProduct was also banned

davedanon wrote: »
    And if you're talking about the British academic. She didn't say "White Lives Don't Matter". Those tweets have been shown to be fake, and the prominent people that re-tweeted them will face consequences.

these tweets? they're very much real

EbQxRp8WAAA_eUm.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbQxRp8WAAA_eUm.jpg

f39d2470-b79a-11ea-b5bf-edd1910cfa4c

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/7j1b0J.WVeAG1sKaebeUhw--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-uploaded-images/2020-06/f39d2470-b79a-11ea-b5bf-edd1910cfa4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yes, fair enough, they are. I became aware of them on another forum where they were described as fake. But her words were not just "White lives don't matter", as the poster I took issue with claimed. They were "White lives don't matter. As white lives." And they weren't intended to be interpreted literally. They were nuanced. Which evidently escaped the people who promptly set up accounts and fired 35,000 online responses to her, ranging from toxic bile to sexist vitriol all the way up to death threats. Here are two pieces explaining the context, which is everything.

https://www.livemint.com/mint-lounge/features/priyamvada-gopal-s-white-lives-tweet-matters-here-s-why-11593512962676.html

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jun/25/abolish-whiteness-academic-calls-for-cambridge-support

"Twitter is not the medium for nuance. Her tweet was misinterpreted out of ignorance or design, and a concerted campaign was mounted against Gopal, with Twitter and Facebook receiving complaints against her tweets, accusing her of hate speech. Mark Owen Jones, who teaches digital humanities at the Hamad Bin Khalifa University in Qatar, showed in a series of tweets that over two days there were 35,000 interactions with her account from 15,000 unique accounts, “much of it racist bile." Most of those accounts were pro-Brexit and pro-Trump, many of them created in June, suggesting these were artificial accounts or people joining Twitter due to a specific event."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    does he not have any friends that would bring him home and stop him from embarrassing himself?

Nope.

Marty and the doc are IP-locked out of 2020 for their own safety and JCVD has retired from the timecop force.
    It would take the stargate crew to get him back to 1938 Nuremberg.

its grand though, he's a bit of a lightweight so he only sings racist songs between pints 3 and 5. Pint 6 will leave him wandering around the gents covered in vomit like a broken extra from Der Untergang

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bizarrely and very worryingly, Reddits new rules allow for hate speech directed at majority groups.

Essentially, hate speech is ok, as long as its not focused on any minority groups.

https://twitter.com/SwipeWright/status/1277701612107001856

Ohh joy , so
    “White people deserve to die - a message from a black immigrant in a white country, brought to you by johnson & johnson #BLM” can continue unabashed so ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ohh joy , so
    “White people deserve to die - a message from a black immigrant in a white country, brought to you by johnson & johnson #BLM” can continue unabashed so ...

Everyone deserves to die...happy now?:rolleyes:

Ohh joy , so

Just to be clear, this comes from the inside of your own head, yes? It has no connection with actual reality.

White people claiming victimhood is really not a good look.

I'm as liberal as they come, but claiming white people can not be a victim is beyond retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bet you’d tie yourself in knots if someone said Travellers can’t be victims of oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Gentlemanne

I'm as liberal as they come, but claiming white people can not be a victim is beyond retarded.

?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bet you’d tie yourself in knots if someone said Travellers can’t be victims of oppression.

No, why would that be?

Amazing how reactionaries go straight for reductio ad absurdum when they're on the wrong side of an argument.

"Pulling down a (particular) statue? Where does it end? Do we have to bulldoze the pyramids????"

"(Some) white people try to claim victimhood".

"WHAT ABOUT TRAVELLERS. WHAT ABOUT CHILDREN. WHAT ABOUT WOMEN. THIS IS BEYOND, I SHOULD SAY 'DISABLED' BUT I'M GONNA USE AN UNACCEPTABLE WORD INSTEAD SO I CAN OWN THE LIBS"

?

Retarded, as in mentally retarded, is a valid descriptor for people who are not using their full faculties in their thought process. It has been hijacked and used as a term to denigrate people with down syndrome and others with learning difficulties, but that doesn't mean that the term is now invalid and cannot be used in the correct context. Same with other words, such as queer, eggplant or sambo. Just because others have chosen to use it as a weapon of hate, doesn't mean it is now off limits.

The fact that it has set off fireworks in your mind says more about you, than it does me, in my opinion.

Here's what I'm trying to say in a succinct and humorous clip

No, why would that be?

Is Travellers claiming victimhood or a “bad look”? Discrimination, marginalization, oppression

Amazing how reactionaries go straight for reductio ad absurdum when they're on the wrong side of an argument.

"(Some) white people try to claim victimhood".

No, what’s amazing is you’ve now added the caveat “some” white people. You didn’t include that in your initial statement. Makes a hell of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Retarded, as in mentally retarded, is a valid descriptor for people who are not using their full faculties in their thought process. It has been hijacked and used as a term to denigrate people with down syndrome and others with learning difficulties, but that doesn't mean that the term is now invalid and cannot be used in the correct context. Same with other words, such as queer, eggplant or sambo. Just because others have chosen to use it as a weapon of hate, doesn't mean it is now off limits.

The fact that it has set off fireworks in your mind says more about you, than it does me, in my opinion.

I mean it's still a pejorative so using it casually means you're probably not "as liberal as they come".

I typed a single character and you wrote me an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I mean it's still a pejorative so using it casually means you're probably not "as liberal as they come".

Using it in a non-pejorative way is not 'using it casually'. It is using it in its intended form, context and usage,
    I typed a single character and you wrote me an email.

Again, context is key. Your one character questioned whether being liberal and using the word retarded are compatible. I replied. The fact that you were 'triggered' by the word retarded is what I was highlighting. Would you have had the same reaction if I'd used 'gay' to mean happy? Or used 'chink (in one's armour)' when referring to a weakness? Presumably not. So why the question mark?

• Advertisement

Using it in a non-pejorative way is not 'using it casually'. It is using it in its intended form, context and usage,

Again, context is key. Your one character questioned whether being liberal and using the word retarded are compatible. I replied. The fact that you were 'triggered' by the word retarded is what I was highlighting. Would you have had the same reaction if I'd used 'gay' to mean happy? Or used 'chink (in one's armour)' when referring to a weakness? Presumably not. So why the question mark?

calm down

I'm intrigued as to how you could read my posts and come under the impression that I am anything but calm?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Using it in a non-pejorative way is not 'using it casually'. It is using it in its intended form, context and usage

Mod: The lesson in semantics ends here. Back on the actual topic please.

Omackeral wrote: »
    No, what’s amazing is you’ve now added the caveat “some” white people. You didn’t include that in your initial statement. Makes a hell of a difference.

It's implied, in an assumption of a certain basic level of comprehension.

It's very much like the way "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "White Lives Don't Matter", but rather "Black Lives Matter Too"

Do you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Feets

I block her on twitter and mute her name, and the Kardashians😊, it works great and I don't get worked up over her tripe cos I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Feets

I block her on twitter and mute her name, and the Kardashians😊, it works great and I don't get worked up over her tripe cos I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Much as predicted

Chinese and Bangladeshi Mayors in one week #Ireland. Such progress! Of course the Irish people aren’t being replaced. It’s all in your head. FFFGFO would never give your country away like that

https://publish.twitter.com/?query=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgemmaod1%2Fstatus%2F1278319612346732544&widget=Tweet

No, 'mentally retarded' is an old-fashioned, out-dated and offensive term for what we now call 'disability'. It has not been hijacked by anyone. In terms of offence, it's not the N-word, but it's certainly akin to 'coloured' or 'half-caste', as opposed to 'people of colour'. No self-professed 'liberal' should be using the word 'retarded'. It has certain accepted uses in technical contexts I'm sure, but you weren't using it in that context. You're not as liberal as you think.

ps: Although I know it is still in inexplicably popular use in the US. Maybe not so inexplicable in Donnie's America.

Retarded, as in mentally retarded, is a valid descriptor for people who are not using their full faculties in their thought process. It has been hijacked and used as a term to denigrate people with down syndrome and others with learning difficulties, but that doesn't mean that the term is now invalid ...

there's another one...

• Advertisement

It's implied, in an assumption of a certain basic level of comprehension.

It's very much like the way "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "White Lives Don't Matter", but rather "Black Lives Matter Too"

Do you see?

No, sorry. You see I’m afraid that implications and nuance have very little currency when it comes to these type of topics nowadays. A great many commentators out there mean exactly what they say when they generalise, from both sides of the political spectrum. “Men need to x, blacks need to y”. Having read your takes on here, your offerings fall directly into this camp.

I’m glad that you eventually used the qualifier some anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement