Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think Gemma actually did very well in the elections that she ran in considering that the internet is her only platform and of course because how wacky her views are. I was expecting her to do William DJ Gorman bad and only get about 20 votes but 1200/1500 votes is not to be mocked, remember Richard Boyd Barrett got 800 votes the first time he ran in 2002 and Luke Ming got 500 votes the first time he ran in 1997
    She got 1.97 percent of the vote....1600ish after transfers etc and she had bus ads etc..who knows where the money came from...
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the electorate.
    There will always be a few protest votes and eejits who she will resonate with on conspiracy theories, xenophobia, homophobia etc take your pick.
    She has also ran multiple times and done extremely poorly. The national party did even worse thank feck for that.

So by your logic in 18 or 23 years Gemma will be topping the polls?...I think its more likely she will lose her Twitter platform after over stepping the mark yet again. Go further down the rabbit hole ranting on her own website about foreigners conspiracy theories and the rest to a captive but thankfully limited audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    all political party leaders belong to the WOKE faith

How dare they be "alert to injustice in society, especially racism" . This can only ever end in disaster. We must maintain a healthy appetite of racism and injustice in our society. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Peter from Gort

gmisk wrote: »
    She got 1.97 percent of the vote....1600ish after transfers etc and she had bus ads etc..who knows where the money came from...
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the electorate.
    There will always be a few protest votes and eejits who she will resonate with on conspiracy theories, xenophobia, homophobia etc take your pick.
    She has also ran multiple times and done extremely poorly. The national party did even worse thank feck for that.

So by your logic in 18 or 23 years Gemma will be topping the polls?...I think its more likely she will lose her Twitter platform after over stepping the mark yet again. Go further down the rabbit hole ranting on her own website about foreigners conspiracy theories and the rest to a captive but thankfully limited audience.

25 years ago if someone had said Mick Wallace wearing pink, Luke Ming and Gerry Adams would be in the dail, it would have sounded far fetched. I do think there is a good possibility of a far right person or persons being elected to the dail in the future, not necessarily Gemma as the look of scorn she gives everyone(even John Waters) is very off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

25 years ago if someone had said Mick Wallace wearing pink, Luke Ming and Gerry Adams would be in the dail, it would have sounded far fetched. I do think there is a good possibility of a far right person or persons being elected to the dail in the future, not necessarily Gemma as the look of scorn she gives everyone(even John Waters) is very off putting.
    I am not saying there won't be some far right numpty who gets in, it has happened in plenty of other places. But I doubt it will be either of the above, can't see her getting in as a TD even at 76...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How dare they be "alert to injustice in society, especially racism" . This can only ever end in disaster. We must maintain a healthy appetite of racism and injustice in our society.

Hardly a mature reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The "WOKE" concept really gets up some people's noses, doesn't it? You can feel the sneery contempt coming through your computer screen when they bring themselves to type it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I am not saying there won't be some far right numpty who gets in,.
    You've met Noel Grealish then?

You've met Noel Grealish then?

so Noel Grealish is far right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

KiKi III wrote: »
    Gemma had numerous Dublin buses with her face plastered all over them. Her campaign was very well funded and far from just her own platform organically campaigning.

It'd be interesting to know exactly where that funding is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

so Noel Grealish is far right ?

I suppose it depends on your frame of reference. I wouldn't consider Grealish to be far-right (in the flag waving, anger as a policy, loonie sense) but he and the rural independents are as right-wing as the mainstream currently goes.

He would probably be considered the member of the Dail that's furthest to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

..who knows where the money came from...

...There will always be a few protest votes and eejits who she will resonate with on conspiracy theories, ...

...Go further down the rabbit hole ranting on her own website about foreigners conspiracy theories

You literally just theorised a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

America has lost control of covid 19 to put it mildly, we took precaution to keep our hospitals ticking over, Americas hospitals are now over capacity, Johnny nd Gemma wanted us to be like America

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

i ask now , why is it a good thing that the african population in ireland continues to increase ? , what would be so problematic about putting a stop to this ?

Why is it a problem for you?

Odhinn wrote: »

Because he's a bit of a racist?

Odhinn wrote: »

That sounds quite close to personalising a debate ? , it can never be about one individual

I'm posing the questions, why is it assumed to be wrong to wish to limit the level of diversity, why is diversity viewed as inherently a good thing?

davedanon wrote: »
    Because he's a bit of a racist?

Any supportive evidence for that charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

its not unreasonable to question why we need or should want to increase the african population in this country , at this stage its received wisdom that its both the right and obvious thing to do , no one ever says " wait a minute "

that reservations are expressed by uncouth , unsophisticated and uneducated people , does not negate this

i ask now , why is it a good thing that the african population in ireland continues to increase ? , what would be so problematic about putting a stop to this ?

If you go back far enough we are all descended from someone from Africa, just because we got here first is that a reason to stop others from coming here?

Of course he hasn't. Dave just likes to cast aspersions on people, entirely groundlessly I might add. Says more about him tbh.

Your original post.

Of course he hasn't. Dave just likes to cast aspersions on people, entirely groundlessly I might add. Says more about him tbh.

There's nothing quite like the frustrated ambitions of would-be, can-do bigots.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    There's nothing quite like the frustrated ambitions of would-be, can-do bigots.

So, considering no mainstream Irish party to be right wing makes you a bigot these days?

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If you go back far enough we are all descended from someone from Africa, just because we got here first is that a reason to stop others from coming here?

yes. it is.

go back further we came from Eurasia, further again and primates may have originated on North America...

but we're here now, we have our country and our laws, and we get to decide who can join us, that's the way it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

yes. it is.

go back further we came from Eurasia, further again and primates may have originated on North America...

but we're here now, we have our country and our laws, and we get to decide who can join us, that's the way it works

Our laws (and the laws we agree to as part of our membership of the EU) allow for immigration...that's the way it works.

I know that, but i took from your post you'd be in favour of completely open borders, or should we have any say at all?

not sure what your point is beyond a philosophical one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I know that, but i took from your post you'd be in favour of completely open borders, or should we have any say at all?

But we don't have completely open borders. Far from it.

I took from your post that we should have no emigration and you'd be in favour of immediate repatriation of everyone of Irish descent.

That's how it works, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

She's going after the army now, posting a picture of a rainbow makes the sick apparently

But we don't have completely open borders. Far from it.

I took from your post that we should have no emigration and you'd be in favour of immediate repatriation of everyone of Irish descent.

That's how it works, isn't it?

:rolleyes:
    i think what i said is clear
    just because we got here first is that a reason to stop others from coming here?
    versus
    we're here now, we have our country and our laws, and we get to decide who can join us

Why Africans in particular? It seems like textbook racism on its face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Since Hazel Chu has been voted in by a strong majority to be Mayor of Dublin we can expect someone to be more Gemmented than usual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement