Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think the school will be able to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Do you think you are being extremely clever or something? that you asked a question that is going to be a massive gotcha? Of course there is the possibility of bullying. and if the does happen the bullies need to be tackled.

You can't ignore this massive problem.

A boy from Bray, wearing a skirt, getting the bus to Greystones, he's going to get the absolute **** beaten out of him.

I'm not being "extremely clever", I'm just being rational.

Sincere question: are you from the middle of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The bus driver will deal with that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OMM 0000 wrote: »

A boy from Bray, wearing a skirt, getting the bus to Greystones, he's going to get the absolute **** beaten out of him.

I think the correct term is fearmongering. Lets be honest here, your objection to this is not because some kids might be bullied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Sincere question: are you from the middle of nowhere?

Exactly.

I wonder if the people who say "deal with the bullies instead" lock the doors in the house when they leave? Sure stealing is wrong, just deal with the thieves!

• Advertisement

I think the correct term is fearmongering. Lets be honest here, your objection to this is not because some kids might be bullied.

I have multiple objections:

1. Tax funded schools shouldn't be implementing this sort of ideology.

2. I believe gender and sex are real. Only a tiny number of people have real gender or sex issues.

3. I don't want kids beaten up or traumatised.

I have multiple objections:

1. Tax funded schools shouldn't be implementing this sort of ideology.

2. I believe gender and sex are real. Only a tiny number of people have real gender or sex issues.

3. I don't want kids beaten up or traumatised.

It is not an ideology. It is letting kids wear what they feel most comfortable with. Sex changes will not be compulsory.

Exactly.

I wonder if the people who say "deal with the bullies instead" lock the doors in the house when they leave? Sure stealing is wrong, just deal with the thieves!

I think they know what they're saying doesn't make sense, but they want their ideology implemented, regardless of what suffering it causes.

If you look at the post history of some of the people who think this is a good idea (letting boys wear skirts) they have very extreme-left opinions, e.g. antifa are a great bunch of lads.

It is not an ideology. It is letting kids wear what they feel most comfortable with. Sex changes will not be compulsory.

You know that's not the argument, but you're trying to pretend we think this is about sex changes, to make us look silly.

Gender fluidity, gender neutral, and its cousins are all an ideology. The belief is gender isn't real, or means nothing, or can change depending on your mood, or is a social construct.

You know that's not the argument, but you're trying to pretend we think this is about sex changes, to make us look silly.

Gender fluidity, gender neutral, and its cousins are all an ideology.

why do you keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy so?

• Advertisement

why do you keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy so?

Why do you keep making things up?

I don't "keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy".

Is this your debating tactic - just keep making things up and changing people's arguments?

When I was 6 I liked to dress as Wonder Woman.

Why?

Because I was a child and children are children.

Imagine my progressive parents chose to put me on hormone blocking medication and ruined my life.
    Why do you keep making things up?

I don't "keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy".

Is this your debating tactic - just keep making things up and changing people's arguments?

this is the first one i found. there are many others by people you agree with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So kids can make mistakes? But they can't be too big of a mistake? Where do you draw the line in mistakes kids are allowed to make?

Tell me how can you pretend that a kid saying they're a different gender is any less serious than a face tattoo.

Imagine a boy of 7 says they're a girl, you let him wear dresses, get his ears pierced, treat him like a girl, take him to the doctor to get the ball rolling on switching and how to deal with it.

So after 8 years the boy realises he's actually a boy. All the formative years of the child has been spent treating him like a girl. You're going to end up with a ****ed up kid who will likely struggle with everything and achieve nothing.

You’ve gone down some rabbit hole here horse. I’m defending the right of a child to wear a piece of clothing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

this is the first one i found. there are many others by people you agree with.

I have made 32 replies here.

In 1 reply I say imagine my progressive parents put me on hormone blocking drugs when I was a child.

You're trying to claim I keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy. 1 post out of 32.

Why are you lying?

I have made 32 replies here.

In 1 reply I say imagine my progressive parents put me on hormone blocking drugs when I was a child.

You're trying to claim I keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy. 1 post out of 32.

Why are you lying?

I will rephrase so. you and others like you keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy. Is that better?

I will rephrase so. you and others like you keep mentioning sex changes and hormone therapy. Is that better?

Not better. Almost no posts are about hormone therapy.

Can you try to be reasonable?

This is an entertainment website. The outcome of this conversation is not important, so you don't need to make things up.

I don't understand why a portion of people who post here can't stay civil.

Not better. Almost no posts are about hormone therapy.

Can you try to be reasonable?

This is an entertainment website. The outcome of this conversation is not important, so you don't need to make things up.

so there haven't been multiple mentions of it? I must go back to specsavers.

so there haven't been multiple mentions of it? I must go back to specsavers.

You said "keep mentioning".

Do you understand what that means?

I know what you're trying to do of course, you're trying to pretend the people objecting are misinformed or think this is a transsexual issue so you can derail the conversation.

You said "keep mentioning".

Do you understand what that means?

I know what you're trying to do of course, you're trying to pretend the people objecting are misinformed or think this is a transsexual issue so you can derail the conversation.

no keep mentioning works as well. It was mentioned pretty early on and you and others have mentioend it today.

no keep mentioning works as well. It was mentioned pretty early on and you and others have mentioend it today.

Out of the 620 posts so far, hormone therapy or any sex change type posts have been completely minimal, probably around 1%, so I think you can let it go unless you want to talk about that?

• Advertisement

Out of the 620 posts so far, hormone therapy or any sex change type posts have been completely minimal, probably around 1%, so I think you can let it go unless you want to talk about that?

I'd have been happiest if it had not been mentioned at all as it is irrelevant. I'd be quite happy if it wasn't mentioned again. Unfortunately i think i will be disappointed. It will disappear for a while perhaps and then rear its ugly head again.

I'd be quite happy if it wasn't mentioned again. Unfortunately i think i will be disappointed. It will disappear for a while perhaps and then rear its ugly head again.

I think you should stop focusing on the 1% of posts and focus on the 99% of posts.

Perhaps this is why you think gender neutral related topics are so important - you think the 1% is more important than the 99%. Hardly anyone are gender neutral or gender fluid.

Let's stop bickering.

I think you should stop focusing on the 1% of posts and focus on the 99% of posts.

Perhaps this is why you think gender neutral related topics are so important - you think the 1% is more important than the 99%.

I think the people in the 1% are as important as those in the 99%. I assume you dont agree.

I think the people in the 1% are as important as those in the 99%. I assume you dont agree.

We need to focus our energy and resources on the 99% rather than the other way round.

For example, 99% of people are clearly boys or girls, so let's keep the boys and girls toilets instead of changing the toilets to gender neutral. (The school are changing the toilets to pander to the < 1% of people with gender issues).

We need to focus our energy and resources on the 99% rather than the other way round.

For example, 99% of people are clearly boys or girls, so let's keep the boys and girls toilets instead of changing the toilets to gender neutral. (The school are changing the toilets to pander to the < 1% of people with gender issues).

So kind of you to ignore a small section of the population. Are there any other groups that you dont feel are fitting of the states resources? Actually, dont answer that, i have a pretty good idea already.

So kind of you to ignore a small section of the population. Are there any other groups that you dont feel are fitting of the states resources? Actually, dont answer that, i have a pretty good idea already.

Where did I say we should ignore the minority?

Why are you trying to pretend I don't care about people?

Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 happydan

Any 'progressive parent', who has not raised teenagers yet, should just shut up on this topic, and be very thankful their own parents were not so stupid, and had the common sense to treat kids as kids and not pander to their every populist nonsense ideology or phase.

Parent be parents ffs.

There will always be some nut job kids (who will become nut job adults) ... it's always been that way, leave them at it. If you are different, by very definition you are a minority, embrace it ... and shut up.

Where did I say we should ignore the minority?

Why are you trying to pretend I don't care about people?

Are you ok?

I'm perfectly fine, thank you.

I'm perfectly fine, thank you.

You're not able to have a civil conversation.

I suspect I shouldn't be talking to you, so I'm going to add you to my ignore list now. Feel free to continue making up things and misunderstanding what people are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

happydan wrote: »
    Any 'progressive parent', who has not raised teenagers yet, should just shut up on this topic, and be very thankful their own parents were not so stupid, and had the common sense to treat kids as kids and not pander to their every populist nonsense ideology or phase.

Parent be parents ffs.

There will always be some nut job kids (who will become nut job adults) ... it's always been that way, leave them at it. If you are different, by very definition you are a minority, embrace it ... and shut up.

If you're different: shut up about it. That's great advice. Have you any guidelines on which differences you don't want to hear about?

This thread is about to peak any minute now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement