Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euphoria (2019) [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The whole point was to be caught holding the knife.

It was renewed for S3 so HBO obviously don't care if he is or isn't. I don't think it would do any harm to being someone else in anyway, even if it was to work with him. S2 was extremely messy and unfocused. The last 2 eps were good but Rue's story aside it felt like a lot of this season was just random scenes made up 5 minutes before they shot. Minka Kelly, who played Maddy's boss even said that her character had no description when Levinson approached her to be on the show, and her scene in the pool with Maddy was written and given to them at the last minute, she and Alexa Demie had to learn it all while they were setting up the shot.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That song by Elliot was... long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm a bit confused of what evidence Nate gave the police. He gave the recording to Jules and told her no one else had a copy so thought that was the only underage person Cal had taped sex with. I think the season was a bit of all over the place.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he had done that was arrest worthy either. Unless Nate lied to Jules, which wouldn't surprise me. I'm not sure what is or isn't a crime in the US, or even state by state. Was he soliciting sex? I think he was just using a hook up app. Or maybe it was filming it all without anyone's consent? I'm sure it was only last week that the voice-over said Nate wasn't bothered about protecting his dad anymore, but did want to protect the business which would be his 🤷‍♀️

I agree, this season was very messy. I see lots of people mad that they have to wait until 2024 for answers. But there's stuff from S1 that never got answered in S2. I don't think he has answers to a lot of it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't really enjoy the finale tbh. Thought the second series had its moments but overall it was just a bit of a mess. Disappointing that certain storylines were just forgotten about and not clarified further.

Also, Laurie seems pretty sound for a drug dealer. Let Rue off with squandering thousands of dollars worth of drugs and also seemed to take Rue's escape from her house pretty well. Well I guess that must be what happened because the story was never picked up on again.

• Advertisement

I assumed the police picked up on Faye very specifically naming Laurie as a big time dealer and arrested her after they were finished at Fez's. Some time passed between Rue escaping and the last episode though, so why she didn't show up at some point in there, I don't know.

I still think Rue's story is the most grounded and has the most time and effort put into telling it, but that whole suitcase/Laurie detour this season was a big miss for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I think Cal used to record his 'encounters'. My guess that Jules would not have been the only school going age person involved. Just my guess.

The season was a bit messy, but enjoyed it overall. Could be a long time till the next season due to actors/actresses other commitments. Maybe time to have a more coherent story line in place

They had extra time to write S2 because covid shut everything down before they'd filmed any of it. Levinson apparently scrapped most of what he had planned and rewrote a lot of it during the shutdown, along with the special episodes. I'm not sure time does him any favours.

I think Cal when Nate sent in a wild goose chase to get the recording back he said to Fez that he didnt realise Jules was underage. He was probably just lying I suppose but in his encounter with Jules She lied about her age.

Just reading an interview with the kid who plays Ashtray and he said that Fez was supposed to be the one shot at the end of S2, and it was only changed to be him the day before they filmed it. Which means 2 seasons in a row they changed the ending for Fez. I assume he'll be in jail in S3 so it doesn't really matter, but it's just makes you wonder how much Levinson actually plans anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 poppysee

Honestly, I'm just so proud of Rue for leaving Jules, they were so bad for each other. Also, I think everyone kind of expected that Ashtray would be killed off. Already can't wait for S3 but it'll probably be awhile until it releases.

he has probably proven a far more popular character than he ever imagined. Be shooting himself in the foot getting rid of him.

Maybe. But what's he going to do in S3 from jail? I think his storyline in S2 showed that Levinson had no long term plans for him. I think Lexi and Fez both proved popular in S1 and he wanted to give them more to do in S2 so he aged down Fez and threw them together to fill time in a few eps. None of that storyline really impacted on anything else.

ah he doesn't have to to jail. Lexi put on a Broadway type musical in High School so any thing is possible !!!

Oh I had no idea until just now that Elliot is Dominic Fike, who sang the song 3 Nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I have also just learnt that 😅

I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped a bit of time and said Fez got out for good behaviour after 18 months. Assuming Ash is dead he can pin all the worst stuff on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think they'll have to do this. Skip the season on a few years down the line. Otherwise they'll have Fez behind bars and he'll have no interaction with the other characters.

The fact half the cast are mid 20s too. Alexa Demie is 31, apparently. They're not going to be believable as 17 year olds for much longer, if they ever were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yes it seemed completely separate to the rest of the episode.

Overall, I really enjoyed the second series, but not as much as the first season. I still think it's outstanding telly, if a bit patchy in places in terms of the continuity of the story line. No follow-up to Rue's great escape from the drug den was sloppy.

I am also delighted Rue left Jules- I think Jules is the most unlikeable of all the characters. So self-centred for someone gladly hooring herself out to older men. At least you could emphatise with Rue's drug addiction given the torment she suffered losing her dad, and how easy it is to go down the opiate rabbit-hole.

I'm assuming that Nate wasn't entirely truthfully to Jules either. You could see him access the computer in one of the earlier episodes, so I guess he uploaded some of the more "risque" footage onto the flash drive before giving the CD copy to Jules.

Maddie and Cassie really are the stereotypical dumb cheerleaders though, what the heck do they both see in that psychopath Nate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Worked through both seasons in their entirety over the past few weeks. It really is a bit of a mixed bag but with some real high points so I'm definitely glad I got around to watching it.

I much prefer the quieter moments, especially with with Rue at the centre, with her between season special being a standout.

The sprawling narrative, heightened reality and excessive visual flourishes take away from the show a bit at times in my opinion. You got to respect the ambition though and you certainly can't accuse the show off being in any way bland.

I thought the more extreme stuff worked better in S1 because it kind of grounded Rue's storyline even more, but the balance was way off in S2. It was like they were just filling time until they got to where Rue was at rock bottom, and once again her storyline, and the episodes focused on her, were the highlights. I think S2 was really just a switch your brain off and accept it's a wild ride, whereas S1 felt like it might actually have something to say.

I was reading another "expose" on Sam Levinson yesterday and the set sounded like it was chaos. He's obviously very creative but how he's been allowed to run this show by himself for 2 seasons without HBO stepping in is beyond me. Not only does he change scenes and entire storylines as they're setting up to shoot them, he apparently did away with shot lists, storyboarding, any kind of actual day to day structure, in S2 and he and the cinematographer just decided on the fly what to shoot. Extras were left sitting around in the cold for hours in the middle of the night, weren't fed, weren't allowed use bathroom, all sorts of mad stuff. Given there's going to be another long break between now and S3, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, changes before S3.

I'd take some of it with a grain of salt, but here's the latest article with quotes from people who worked on the show. https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-euphoria-season-2s-messy-behind-the-scenes-drama-from-sam-levinson-to-barbie-ferreira-storming-off

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Zendaya is the only good thing about the show.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm about half way through season 2 and I'm enjoying it. I'm in my late 30s and remember what life was like before the internet. While some of the storylines are exaggerated I'm still glad I'm not a teenager today. Colman Domingo and Eric Dane are great in this. The scene where Eric Dane confronts his family was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Angus Cloud has died at age 25

RIP

Very sad. One of the best actors in the show, sad he was suffering with addition.

Jesus, 25 years old. He only buried his father a week ago. His family broke the news in a press release that, unfortunately, seems to be very alluding pretty heavily to suicide. Very sad all round.

sad news at such a young age

probably the end of the show ? with the other major stars of the showing enjoying success with other film projects anyway, it was probably getting difficult anyway

Pretty sure the character was headed for jail at the end of S2 so it wouldn't be that hard to just write him out of it.

S2 was a mess, tbh, so it really would be no loss if it never came back. Most of the cast have used the exposure well and barring contractual obligations would probably be done with it anyway.

• Advertisement

I didn't realise his name was actually Conor Hickey, about as Irish a name as anyone could have. Says he even considered moving here at one point

I do wonder what it means for Euphoria, but as stated above it wouldn't be too difficult to write him out, and I imagine series 3 will be the last one anyway.

Advertisement