Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euphoria (2019) [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The second Euphoria special will receive its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic on Monday January 25th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Mr.S wrote: »
    The bonus episode is fairly boring.

I guess they where limited from a production sense to shoot something more substantial, but this was zzzzzzz. Could have been a 20 min YouTube clip IMO.

Thought your man was very good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Love the show and love the character of Rue but the special absolutely didn't work for me at all. If it had been punctuated by other segments maybe, but that straight run did nothing for me and I found it a real slog.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I really enjoyed it, great to tide us over until they're able to film a new series. I'm assuming it was filmed during the pandemic? Zendaya really is a great actress.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I loved the special episode. I know it was very different from the episodes in S1 but I thought it was really great to get it stripped back like that. Rue's character was always the most relatable for me anyway, probably because her storyline seems more grounded in reality than the other more extreme storylines. I've been a fan of Zendaya in pretty much everything I've seen her in but she's really incredible in Euphoria, in general, and this one episode in particular.

I wasn't surprised when the episode was just the two of them, and I'm assuming the second episode will just be Jules and maybe her dad or room mate if she's still in New York. I'm not sure Hunter Schafer has the chops to pull off an entire episode like Zendaya did but maybe it won't be as heavy.

There's loads of theories floating around about whether Rue's episode was her in some sort of coma, or like in purgatory or something. I didn't think of that at all while watching it but it'll be interesting to see where S2 goes now because apparently a lot of Rue and Ali's conversation was made up of bits that were originally supposed to be spread throughout S2. So I wonder will Levinson have rewritten all of S2 during the shut down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Binged this and loved it. Watching the first ep, i didn't think it would be for me but the cast, production, writing, music, all brilliant. Hooked me quick and kept me hooked all the way through.

Same Weemcd, watching Fez, i was just thinking he's basically Mac Miller. He was one of my favourites in this and hope he's back for season 2.

I thought it was really great that characters who should have just been ***** you rooted against had interesting backstory that made you want to see how they're story played out.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought it was really great that characters who should have just been ***** you rooted against had interesting backstory that made you want to see how they're story played out.

I know what you mean, Nate's one of the worst people I've ever seen on TV, but he's incredibly compelling to watch and even if I don't want him to keep getting away with things I'm definitely invested in how his story plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Binged this and loved it. Watching the first ep, i didn't think it would be for me but the cast, production, writing, music, all brilliant. Hooked me quick and kept me hooked all the way through.

Same Weemcd, watching Fez, i was just thinking he's basically Mac Miller. He was one of my favourites in this and hope he's back for season 2.

One of the main strengths of this show is the way they build the characters stories up, they go into their motivations and circumstances for almost everyone. It's a care they've taken in storytelling that most shows barely touch on with such nuance. You also might not expect that if you haven't watched it and maybe just seen the trailers. So much depth below the surface.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The second special wasn't quite up to the first, which I had very much enjoyed especially given it's basically two people chatting.

I'd love if they did a third special for Nate. One of the most interesting a$$holes on screen in recent years.

ixoy wrote: »
    The second special wasn't quite up to the first, which I had very much enjoyed especially given it's basically two people chatting.

I'd love if they did a third special for Nate. One of the most interesting a$$holes on screen in recent years.

I watched this the other week along with the Standalone Rue episode, the Rue episode is definitely the better of the two, but both are fantastic. I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting this show back, one of the most visually inventive and originally scripted TV shows I've seen in a very long time. With a thoroughly talented cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the new series started last night. looking forward to watching the first episode. Getting good reviews, not that it matters, as I would watch regardless

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Enjoyed the first episode of series 2, but think I'll have to go back and watch series 1 at the weekend cause I can barely remember who anyone is. Would've been nice to get a little recap at the beginning!

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Well that was quite the episode !!

The NY times have a good recap of the whole first season. Not sure if it's subscriber only , but should be easy to find

Thanks, I may give it a look. But seriously, all I could primarily remember was how it ended between Rue and Jules. No idea why there was the animosity between Fez and Nate, couldn't remember who Cassie really was... yeah I need to read that recap 😅 Although to be fair to myself it's been over two years since it aired, and quite a bit has happened in the world since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fantastic season two opener. Tarantino-esque between the music and the absurdity.

Although I felt it took Nate a bit long to hide Cassie in the shower. The assumption was she was missing anyway so being passed out in the shower was plausible.

Between Maddie's sexiness and Cassie's breasts, it's no wonder American high school students are so over-sexed.

School uniforms wouldn't go amiss.

Cinematography continues to be amazing in this.

Probably my favourite show at the minute.

Team Lexi, Fez and Ashtray.

Although I've got a bad feeling about a lot of these character's futures. Rue especially and whoever she drags down with her...

Rue is based on the creator/writer of the show, so I assume things will turn around for her at some point. But yeah, who knows what damage she'll do before that happens.

Quite the episode last night. The Jacobs are one fúcked up family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Latest episode was outstanding and that opening scene with the family was a brutally realistic depiction of addiction. Zendaya's performance for this episode was Emmy worthy in itself - she really is a terrific actor. Noticed she is also credited an executive producer. Talented.

That foot chase montage with the police and the trail of destruction was so well executed, if a little unrealistic considering the state she was in!. Parkour skills were phenomenal.

It's been a brilliant season so far and hope they can keep this quality up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Loved Zendaya's acting in this episode but like most drug addict characters it is hard not to hate Rue. Sydney Sweeney acting was pretty good too. Wonder where they are going with the rest of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m exhausted after that episode

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I thought it was a bit ominous when the drug dealer said that as a woman you will always have something people will want...was thinking she was going to keep her drugged up and make her turn tricks to pay her back

Ya think this was her plan for Rue !! Lucky to escape.

Loved the (possible) ending to Cal's story too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Am I the only one getting sick of the drug addict cycle? Like yeah it may be somewhat accurate (hyper-stylised elements of the show aside), but it’s getting extremely repetitive. This isn’t what I would call an “enjoyable” show to watch.

I think Sam Levinson is spreading himself too thin- he’s written and directed every episode of the season so far. Some characters have been given absolutely nothing to do- like Kat- and the storylines are all over the place and not particularly interesting.

My feeling about Euphoria has always been that he's trying to tell his own story through Rue, but he's had to put her into a world with other people to do it, but he's not anywhere near as invested in anyone else as he is in Rue. Which is understandable, but also maybe where more collaboration would have helped.

It probably is an extremely realistic portrayal of addiction, and for me that's fine, because I'm invested in Rue as a person, and she is what I understood the show to be about when I started S1, so I'm fine with the cycle. But it's understandable that anyone watching it for an ensemble show about messy teens, or prefer other characters to Rue, aren't going to be "enjoying" it as much.

I'm also on the fence about Levinson in general. I watched his film Assassination Nation a while back and I dunno, there's just something off-putting about a middle aged man telling so many stories through teenage girls?

One of the most harrowing episodes of anything I have ever seen. If Zendaya doesn't sweep up the awards, it'll be a farce- her performance in the opening scene was the best I have seen on film or television. Found myself welling up at the emotional tone of it all,especially at the flashback to her at her dad's funeral/as a toddler.

Yes it was a bit unrealistic that a limping, withdrawing slip of a one could evade everyone so easily, but it was gripping television. I was convinced she was fooked after taking the morphine.

Some perverse humour too with Cassie and Lexi's mother, and the little dogs snapping at Rue's ankles during her escape bid.

I do understand that addicts can be unlikeable by their actions, but I would be in Rue's camp more than Jules. She is hardly more holier than Rue and slept with the other lad in the previous episode sure.

• Advertisement

Caught up on the most recent 2 eps there and they were a marked improvement on what came before.

Not sure if it was meant to be funny or not but everything in ep6 with Cassie, Lexi and their mother was hilarious.

Advertisement