Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euphoria (2019) [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 15-06-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Euphoria (2019)

Starts 16th June.

[vanityfair] Zendaya Carries Unsettling, Gorgeous Euphoria
    HBO's first foray into young-adult drama is graphic, but there's more to the show than sensational handwringing about kids today.

Joe.ie: "HBO's new show is being called one of the most explicit series ever put on TV"

Euphoria

Zendaya Set for Lead Role in HBO Pilot Euphoria.
    The HBO drama pilot “Euphoria” has set its main cast, with Zendaya cast in the lead role, Variety has learned.

The project, an adaptation of the Israeli series of the same name, is describe as the story of drugs, sex, identity, trauma, social media, love and friendship all told by a lying, drug addicted 17 year old girl named Rue.

Zendaya will play Rue. In addition, the pilot will also feature: Maude Apatow as Lexi, Brian “Astro” Bradley as McKay, Angus Cloud as Fezco, Eric Dane as Cal, Alexa Demie as Maddy, Jacob Elordi as Nate, Barbie Ferreira as Kat, Nika King as Leslie, Storm Reid as Gia, Hunter Schafer as Jules, and Sydney Sweeney as Cassie.

Zendaya is best known for her starring role in the Disney Channel series “KC Undercover.” She has also starred in several hit films of late, including “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “The Greatest Showman.” She will next be seen playing Meechee in the Warner Brothers animated film “Smallfoot” this September.

HBO originally ordered the project to pilot in March. The original “Euphoria” was created by Ron Leshem, Daphna Levin and Tmira Yardeni and aired on Israel’s HOT3. All three will serve as executive producers on the HBO version. Sam Levinson serves as writer and executive producer. Ravi Nandan, Kevin Turen, Hadas Mozes Lichtenstein, Mirit Toovi, Yoram Mokadi, and Gary Lennon will also executive produce. Augustine Frizzell will direct the pilot and co-executive produce

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/zendaya-hbo-pilot-euphoria-1202831112/

Selection of New TV shows and returning shows. Just a small collection! (incl. up to 28th July).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Was away last week and got to see the first two episodes of this.

Thought it was fairly good, but lots of (male) nudity (it is HBO after all) , drug use and violence. Often graphic. The story is interesting enough, and the lead actress, Zendaya , is very good. I'm out of school/college a long time, but I think it does show a (hopefully exaggerated) picture of what life is like for young people these days of smart phones and prescription drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Didn't really click with me. I thought it was trying too hard to be edgy?

Maybe it's realistic for college kids these days, but they were simpler times when I was in college in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Must of the nudity and graphic content seems to be thrown in for shock value?

Euphoria Is Apparently More Realistic Than You Might Hope

The ‘Euphoria’ Teenagers Are Wild. But Most Real Teenagers Are Tame.
    Kids these days are the “cautious generation,” the evidence shows.

Conflicting opinions on how realistic it actually is? In today's society?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Four episodes in and I thinks it’s fantastic.

Four episodes in and I thinks it’s fantastic.

ya I'm surprised there is not more interest in this, maybe when it launches on Sky Atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah ive found it pretty good. A bit like Skins it seems extremely shallow at the beginning but has alot of heart.

Renewed for a second season already. Only 4 episodes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a good show. Really gets going after the first two episodes. I do think the nature of a lot of the nudity is pretty gratituous, even by HBO standards.

It's a good show. Really gets going after the first two episodes. I do think the nature of a lot of the nudity is pretty gratituous, even by HBO standards.

especially episode 3 :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's good, and gets better. The first 2 episodes just felt "shocking" for the sake of it, and the 3rd and 4th episode have the odd moment too (the fat guy on the webcam, jaysus!) but they focus more on the story.

I thought the whole carnival sequence in episode four was fantastically shot.

it's definitely a grower.. like the webcam dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It starts on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday August 6th at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This is going down really well in our house - really like the gritty reality of it. Another good one from HBO , the plot only starts to come to light from E03 onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Four or five episodes in, it's pretty good. The music is irritating though, but I suppose thats what kids listen to these days.

Great show. Starting on Sky Atlantic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Last episode was decent enough. A good show. Hope it doesn't get too "13 reasons why" in the next season, that show went downhill something awful.

After watching it all, good but strange!! Last 2 episodes especially wierd

All episodes on demand from Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Homelander wrote: »
    Last episode was decent enough. A good show. Hope it doesn't get too "13 reasons why" in the next season, that show went downhill something awful.

Thats an issue i find with netflix, the first show they bring out is usually decent/great and then every subsequent season is sloppy and rushed. Its because as soon as the shows successful they go straight back into production to rush out the next season which is usually within a year at most, which isnt enough time, other shows can do it as they have an episode a week thing going on so more breathing room to cut it all together.

It wasn't a big issues with the Marvel shows they done, but they had decades of comic stories to work off.

I enjoyed Euphoria somewhat, some of the story lines were unrealistic/dumb which the show could have done without. The whole Nate blackmailing was so dumb and sloppy it was impossible not to role some eyes :rolleyes:

But the cinematography and the way it was cut was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Four or five episodes in, it's pretty good. The music is irritating though, but I suppose thats what kids listen to these days.

Every episode title, excluding Pilot, is named after a rap song.
    Is executively produced by Canadian born rapper, Drake.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Every episode title, excluding Pilot, is named after a rap song.
    Is executively produced by Canadian born rapper, Drake.

i was wondering about the names of the episodes. Shook one PT 2 , I was wondering did i miss part one of the episode :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Finished this. Have absolutely no idea if I liked it or not. If that makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish. Wonderfully shot and well edited through a haze of e-cig vapour and Instagram neon.

Almost every character is a cùnt, but they do a great job of showing who they really are, and why they've ended up this way.

I also thought they handled the Transgender storyline well, and showed some originally without going down the whole generic and tired "nobody understands me" angle.

Fesco was one of my favourite characters and he will surely play Mac Miller in a biopic one day. I enjoyed his performance as the drug dealer stoner with at least some morals, and while he can barely string an articulate sentence together he shows nuance when speaking to Rue about her problems and genuinely does care for, or even love her.

Zendaya is rightfully the star of the show and has a super bright future ahead.

"Yeah well the world's coming to an end and I haven't even graduated high school yet."

Sign me up for Season 2.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Six episodes in, watching via Sky on demand. A very good show, enjoying it more than I thought I would. I really hope this isn't an accurate reflection of American teenage life though!

"Get off the road, you f*cking c*nt" Absolutely me when I'm driving :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I really enjoyed this. Its a bit nuts at times but it's a good story. Some really good characters in there and some well-executed twists.

I loved Zendaya's performance, she really grows into the role as the show picks up pace. Same goes for Kat and Jules.

I'd definitely recommend it. Not as bleak as 13 Reasons Why to which it'll inevitably be compared. Also bases on source material so hopefully they habe enough ideas to keep the story satisfying and avoid the mess that 13RW became.

The way its shot is incredible and the music used was good, even if its not to my liking. Some interesting concepts were thrown in in terms of presentation (the story behind the make-up is incredibly detailed) and storytelling (the 'cop show' episode). I think that's reflection of what happens when you're bipolar and swinging between moods.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Euphoria Christmas special is on Sky Atlantic on Monday December 7th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »

Really can't wait for this.

Anybody get the chance to watch this yet? I was really blown away.

As good as any sit down, face to face I've seen in film. Liam Cunningham and Fassbender in Hunger. DeNiro and Pachino in HEAT. This was... better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Is there a season 2?

• Advertisement

Is there a season 2?

No but there is a bonus episode out atm

Advertisement