Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Gael85

I've no idea 're championship draws.

As for Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone returning to don the saffron and blue for Clare? Jamie doesn't think that it would be fair for the other lads that have been slogging it out since late October of last year if he were to return to the set up according to an interview he did with the Clare Echo.

As for Gary while I don't have definitive info 're his intentions, IMO I'll be surprised if he returns this year. 2021 looks like the year both lads will return all being well.

Hopefully Jamie changes his mind. Brennan didn't go travelling due to the pandemic. Quinlivan and Liam Casey are back for Tipp footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    When are championship draws been made?

Will Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone be togging out with Clare footballers now?

Before Monday apparently,is all clubs are getting off the county board ( Monday is the deadline)

Still no word on the two lads, was under the impression Malone was planning on returning to the panel before the lockdown, Heard nothing about Brennan returning

The hurlers have been awarded the league title along with limerick, shame in one way would have been nice to have played out the final at some stage later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Before Monday apparently,is all clubs are getting off the county board ( Monday is the deadline)

Still no word on the two lads, was under the impression Malone was planning on returning to the panel before the lockdown, Heard nothing about Brennan returning

The hurlers have been awarded the league title along with limerick, shame in one way would have been nice to have played out the final at some stage later in the year

Well they have the chance now anyway. Awful draw for us. Limerick, Tipp and cork to win a munster and national league title!!

On the winter surface for our type of team and playing style!! Always loved the back door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭letowski

Rough draw, the backdoor might suit us though.

Its going to feel like league hurling, Clare had a good league under Lohan. I think the conditions will be a leveler and should lead to tight games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    Rough draw, the backdoor might suit us though.

Its going to feel like league hurling, Clare had a good league under Lohan. I think the conditions will be a leveler and should lead to tight games.

Don't know. have to be better than last year, and the winner will have a game under their belt for Tipp. Games are always better than training.
    Back door is there but feck that.

Galway and Wexford.. I wonder will Wexford be trianing in a shed from now on?

Floodlights in Cusack Park would be useful now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Imagine training in Tulla in November as the wind sweeps across the open plain. I can imagine Lohan will be booking 1 of the pitches in UL for the entire campaign. If hes not then he should. There ll be plenty of floodlit games this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

I actually think we can beat Limerick on the day. if not we can make it a close game. Not the roll over we saw the last day. Brian's biggest draw to this squad is giving them character. from resisting wexford and Dublin to putting it up to kilkenny in the league and snatching the draw, I think Clare will do well. You never know what comes through the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Tough draw alright but it would be some Munster to win if they pulled it off! What injustice is that Clare Clare Clare lad on facebook raving about?

bluestone wrote: »
    Tough draw alright but it would be some Munster to win if they pulled it off! What injustice is that Clare Clare Clare lad on facebook raving about?

that lads comes off as an awful bollocks. He'd want to ****ing leave Davy and Brian alone. Both of them would be creeped out by the ****e he puts up there.

Feenie wrote: »
    that lads comes off as an awful bollocks. He'd want to ****ing leave Davy and Brian alone. Both of them would be creeped out by the ****e he puts up there.

Let's see what happens at the CB meeting tonight re Championship draws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The whole Brian Lohan v Davy Fitzgerald thing is annoying. Hopefully it doesn't divide the county. I dont think it will. There is an issue with the influence Davy still exerts on the county. He really should stay 100% out of Clare GAA until he is finished in Wexford. There'll be plenty of time for him to come back.
    Brian Lohan has done no wrong so far. Hes gone back to basics in his hurling. Hes not a county board man and hes just trucking along. The style of play is like a breath of fresh air and the players are playing for him. Tough draw in Munster but theyve a fair chance in the All Ireland series and Munster and a great chances of winning the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The rumours I'm hearing is that some of the clubs aren't happy with the proposed structure and want to go to 4 groups of 4 followed by quarter finals for the championship, but Lohan wants to go ahead with the proposed solution as it'll give him more access to the players earlier. 2 of the clubs pushing to the group setup would be Sixmilebridge and Whitegate, as the Wexford Manager and Selector are involved with these clubs it's being seen as a way to undermine the seniors. Probably a bit tin foil hat stuff but no harm in a bit of scandal anyway, the fact that the Bridge Manager came out in the national media complaining about a Facebook page mentioning it gives it a bit of crediance.

The draws are due to go ahead tonight but the rumour mill is going strong that a few clubs are playing politics behind the scenes to get the groups setup through, I guess if the groups are the format of the championship it will be proof of the true power in Clare ;)

Clareman wrote: »
    The rumours I'm hearing is that some of the clubs aren't happy with the proposed structure and want to go to 4 groups of 4 followed by quarter finals for the championship, but Lohan wants to go ahead with the proposed solution as it'll give him more access to the players earlier. 2 of the clubs pushing to the group setup would be Sixmilebridge and Whitegate, as the Wexford Manager and Selector are involved with these clubs it's being seen as a way to undermine the seniors. Probably a bit tin foil hat stuff but no harm in a bit of scandal anyway, the fact that the Bridge Manager came out in the national media complaining about a Facebook page mentioning it gives it a bit of crediance.

The draws are due to go ahead tonight but the rumour mill is going strong that a few clubs are playing politics behind the scenes to get the groups setup through, I guess if the groups are the format of the championship it will be proof of the true power in Clare ;)

That's the bit that concerns everyone, the need to change the structure is being driven by two clubs, with a third who are dual club also supporting.

I can understand the need for more games, but the it's more that likely that, as there is no relgation, we will have at least 1 dead match per group, possibly two. Two winner that top the group and two bottom teams with nothing to play for. That actually raises more problems that it solves.

Then you have the spectre of a Senior B, 9th placed medal to be won, which is a bout as valuable as a tin foil hat! The current system is about the cleanest that can be run this year. It may not suit someone with other agendas, but it's probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Only in Clare could clubs legitimately looking for more games for their players be somehow turned into a conspiracy theory of some sort of sabotage of the inter county team, seems some are forgetting what the primary focus of the GAA should be. And it is quite easy to avoid dead rubbers by having Round 2 as winners v winners and losers v losers from R1.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Only in Clare could clubs legitimately looking for more games for their players be somehow turned into a conspiracy theory of some sort of sabotage of the inter county team, seems some are forgetting what the primary focus of the GAA should be. And it is quite easy to avoid dead rubbers by having Round 2 as winners v winners and losers v losers from R1.

In a normal year I would agree , this year is very different and normal thingking cannot apply. I'm not a fan of the current system it can lead to weak teams progressing and strong teams meeting early with crap matches later, but this year needs a clean system.

Lets see what is proposed. If the format is four groups of four with two going through and two falling out, then there are dead matches.

If it's four groups of four with three qualifying then we are looking screwing the county team preparations and those with dual players like Cratloe.

let me throw another situation into the mix.
    Suppose a player or family member of a player is unfortunate enough to come downor even suspected of having the the virus. Then that team may have to withdraw. A league basis in that case means that head to head and score difference goes out the window leading to play off for positions withing the group.. should three teams be equal on points, then there is a right mess. This has happened in lower leagues where teams couldn't field for various reasons. Sure a toss of a coin can be used, if agreed on, but will it be agreed on?

This is now more likely to happen in Senior due to Covid that any other reason. Let the system as it stands run this year with no relegation (makings of another mess) and get it done.

Figerty wrote: »
    If the format is four groups of four with two going through and two falling out, then there are dead matches.

There doesn't have to be dead rubbers as I explained above, its just a matter of holding off making the R2 fixtures until after R1.

Groups of 4 with 2 progressing is being used in the majority of counties I have seen that have finalised their systems, why it is somehow a big issue in Clare is beyond comprehension.

3 weeks of Group games, QF, SF and F. 6 rounds is hardly asking for much, anything shorter becomes farcical.

There doesn't have to be dead rubbers as I explained above, its just a matter of holding off making the R2 fixtures until after R1.

Groups of 4 with 2 progressing is being used in the majority of counties I have seen that have finalised their systems, why it is somehow a big issue in Clare is beyond comprehension.

3 weeks of Group games, QF, SF and F. 6 rounds is hardly asking for much, anything shorter becomes farcical.

I know what you are saying, You can still wind up in a mess wtih that logic and you haven't factored in draws unless you want to go down the route of playing out untill there is a winner.
    You are then into a situation that;
    • after round 2 you will have one team on 4 points,
    • 2 teams on 2 points and
    • one team on Zero.

It has to wind up this way. Draws make it even more messy.
    • The two teams in 2nd and 3rd could possibly wind up on 4 points so have something to play for
    • The teams that wins round 1 and 2 has at least 4 points and nothing really to play for (they have won the head to head)
    • The team t
    hat looses two matches has nothing to play for in the last match

The team that wins two has nothing to play, the team that looses two has nothing to play for so there is no point in a league basis.

This means the last match is always a dead rubber for first and fourth in a clean win league. Draws lead to score difference and head to heads and that has potential issues this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

Are club draws on tonight

I think that head to head only applies when two teams finish level so the team with 4 points and indeed 0 points will always have something to play for as in both situations it is possible for 3 teams to finish on 4 and also possible for three teams to finish on 2 points. Draws obviously can change all that.

I think we have to accept that for both club and county there is no perfect system owing to the exceptional circumstances but imo the proposal of Groups of 4 followed by QF/SF and F is the most logical way forward for club.

The suggestion that clubs insisting on adequate games for lest not forget 99% plus of the playing population is somehow an attempt to sabotage the intercounty team/management is paranoia in the extreme. In fact any club not supporting it is doing their players a disservice.

In Tipp for example the original proposal was to have no QF's so just 5 rounds in total and the clubs objected and fought to have the QF's reintroduced, the County Board relented when the Clubs put their case forward and I haven't heard a single suggestion or complaint from Liam Sheedy that this was in some way done to compromise his role.

I think that head to head only applies when two teams finish level so the team with 4 points and indeed 0 points will always have something to play for as in both situations it is possible for 3 teams to finish on 4 and also possible for three teams to finish on 2 points. Draws obviously can change all that.

I think we have to accept that for both club and county there is no perfect system owing to the exceptional circumstances but imo the proposal of Groups of 4 followed by QF/SF and F is the most logical way forward for club.

The suggestion that clubs insisting on adequate games for lest not forget 99% plus of the playing population is somehow an attempt to sabotage the intercounty team/management is paranoia in the extreme. In fact any club not supporting it is doing their players a disservice.

In Tipp for example the original proposal was to have no QF's so just 5 rounds in total and the clubs objected and fought to have the QF's reintroduced, the County Board relented when the Clubs put their case forward and I haven't heard a single suggestion or complaint from Liam Sheedy that this was in some way done to compromise his role.

There is no relegation thsi year so a team on zerp points ths year has nothing to play for it Round 1 winners play in Round 2. They cannot qualfiy and cannot be relegated = Dead rubber.
    A first round looser cannot get more 4 points no matter what.
    First round winners meeting in round two is flawed. Look at it again, there will always be a team on zero points and a team on at least 4 points after round 2 IF the winners of Round 1 play in round two. This is very flawed.

The current system, given the circumstances, is the best option at present. Do I like it? No.. would I prefer Group games with a better structure yes. But this year is very different. We could arrive in a situation where there is a lockdown again. (Proposed for Leicester today as an example)

The Tipp championship used to gets very complicated with divisions and a few ways to reach the Q/Finals I can't recall it now but it's not simple. Liam Sheedy will have at least an extra week to prepare now that the draw is out. He also has a settled team; he also has a county board supporting him fully.

The reality is that as the championship progresses less teams are playing in any case. It's the Dual clubs that are going to get screwed.

• Advertisement

I doubt davy would want to sabotage his own county, that makes little to no sense, and what the **** would Brendan Bugler gain? doesn't make sense, mad conspiracy stuff all together.
    I agree with what Lohan is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Gael85

Are club draws on tonight

Wednesday evening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I doubt davy would want to sabotage his own county, that makes little to no sense, and what the **** would Brendan Bugler gain? doesn't make sense, mad conspiracy stuff all together.
    I agree with what Lohan is saying.

I honestly think at this stage that there are some people who blame the Fitz for the sinking of the Titanic.

I honestly think at this stage that there are some people who blame the Fitz for the sinking of the Titanic.

I think its high time we were honest and gave fitzy respect where he deserved it and not where he didn't. He's flawed, he's a human, he just like the rest of us.
    he was a good goalkeeper, he did good things for waterford as manager, he did some good things for Clare, and he's doing good things for Wexford. However he created internal strife inside the county and lead to the unraveling of the 2013 squad in various ways.
    But we wouldn't have an all ireland and league title without him so take what you will.

No doubt the Park will be closed for a few months to repair the pitch...…….

https://twitter.com/thepmanofficial/status/1277660681022693377?s=20

I think its high time we were honest and gave fitzy respect where he deserved it and not where he didn't. He's flawed, he's a human, he just like the rest of us.
    he was a good goalkeeper, he did good things for waterford as manager, he did some good things for Clare, and he's doing good things for Wexford. However he created internal strife inside the county and lead to the unraveling of the 2013 squad in various ways.
    But we wouldn't have an all ireland and league title without him so take what you will.

I really can't agree with that, in fact, I'd argue that we'd have won far more with someone else in charge, it's often over looked that he lost over 50% of the Championship games that he managed Clare and he had us relegated from the division 1 of the league.

I would say that he's a decent manager with a good understanding of tactics but he's over reliant on tactics and plans, I think he'll bring a "second tier" team on a lot but I don't think he's a good enough manager to manage a top team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

No doubt the Park will be closed for a few months to repair the pitch...…….

https://twitter.com/thepmanofficial/status/1277660681022693377?s=20
    1st comment gave me a good laugh

I really can't agree with that, in fact, I'd argue that we'd have won far more with someone else in charge, it's often over looked that he lost over 50% of the Championship games that he managed Clare and he had us relegated from the division 1 of the league.

I would say that he's a decent manager with a good understanding of tactics but he's over reliant on tactics and plans, I think he'll bring a "second tier" team on a lot but I don't think he's a good enough manager to manage a top team.

But without Fitzy, I don't know who would have stood up, especially at the time. Lohan and Daly had recently planted themselves as great managers yet. Maybe if Fitzy left in say, 2015, yeah, arguably.. but history is history and I'm happy with what he did for us. Maybe this squad would never have existed without him.

• Advertisement

From the Clare Clare Clare facebook page
    Board tried to blame county teams for debts Kitman for the senior team Niall Romer hits back saying they are not racking up costs. Says some players and management have not yet received training gear. Chairman Joe Cooney commits to getting that rectified. Embarrassing Joe

Advertisement