Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    I think I'm in the minority in this 1 and can see how I'm wrong, but I don't see the need for clubs to be building huge "state of the art" facilities when smaller more sensible developments could suit their needs. Every club seems hell bent on having loads of pitches in 1 location with 1 pitch "the same size as Croke Park". Around 10 miles of Ennis alone I can think of 3 pitches in Barefield, 3 pitches in Clarecastle, 1 pitch in Eire Og, 1 pitch in the Banner, 3 pitches in Kilmaley, 1 pitch in Ballyea, 1 pitch in Lissycasey, 2 pitches in Inagh/Kilnamona. They are all pitches owned directly by the clubs, outside of that most schools have pitches that are unused in the summer and there's the likes of Lees Road and the Fairgreen (not that I've ever see hurling/football there) not to mention Clareabbey. Connected to all those pitches there's dressing rooms, a lot have all weather pitches and some have clubhouses.

An awful lot of money has gone into all those facilities and each parish/club can be proud to have those facilities but my arguement would be that instead of a)having all the resources in 1 central location or b) having loads of "big" "small" developments, that a few "centers of excellence" like Caherlohan could be built around the place, Caherlohan has cost €5 million, I'm sure the developments in Kilmaley, Barefield and Clarecastle combined cost a lot more than that.

Look it's great that these facilities are there and fair play for the different clubs for doing it, I'll continue to throw my few euro into the buckets when I pass them and will visit them for matches but I need convincing that all these clubs need all these facilities.

You are entitled to your view, I can understand it, but in reality, parents will only travel certain distances, as will players. In reality Clubs need to aim high, but set achievable targets. If clubs had to play the volunteers who build these facilities the going rate, the cost would be a third more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

I might agree with you a bit more Clareman if these places were gathering dust, but they are not. I wouldn't know Kilmaley as well but any time I have been in either Barefield or Clarecastle there are at least 2 matches going on at the same time if not even more, plus training, social soccer etc. Basically they are being well used and are justifying the time spent on them.

RE the cost, I am not involved in Barefield or Clarecastle but I would love to know how much money they have actually spent on their facilities in comparison to what the county got in Caherlohan for €5m. But that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

I just want to acknowledge St. Breckans last Sunday. I was one of many that feared they would get a pasting from a Templenoe team boasting 4 Kerry seniors fresh from putting the Dubs to the pin of their collars in a drawn all Ireland final plus 3 or 4 more Kerry juniors.
    I wasn't at the game but by all accounts Breckans's had a right cut at it. They kept Templenoe to a point untill the 20 minute mark and were just two points down at halftime. They were causing their much vaunted opponents all kinds of problems untill they had a man sent off in the second half and Templenoe eventually pulled away with the extra man. The underdogs were harshly treated by the referee as is often the case and received 2 black cards and lost another player to two yellows.
    This Breckans team is obviously brilliantly managed and trained and fair play to all involved. They have some quality players as well. I was really impressed with Dale Masterson any time I saw him in action with Clare in the season just gone and he can be a big player for the banner in the coming years.
    It's great to see a Clare side, who are rank outsiders, going in with a plan and a vision and having a good cut. We have seen enough teams over the years lying down and accepting their fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

HT Challenge inter-county hurling match at Ballindereen.

Galway 3-9 Clare 0-10

Here in the link below is the Clare starting 15.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1203296552808263687

FT Galway 4-16 Clare 0-21 in the inter-county hurling challenge match played today in Ballinderreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

I remember hearing about a hurley making place in Clare called Flannery or something akin to that that was made near Sixmilebridge. Does anyone here know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feenie wrote: »
    I remember hearing about a hurley making place in Clare called Flannery or something akin to that that was made near Sixmilebridge. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Torpey is the only Hurley maker near Sixmilebridge. Hes O Callaghan's Mills Parish

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Torpey is the only Hurley maker near Sixmilebridge. Hes O Callaghan's Mills Parish

Flannery is still there as far as I know. No one is near the same level of production that Torpey is. His prices have got a bit high also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭big_drive

Figerty wrote: »
    Flannery is still there as far as I know. No one is near the same level of production that Torpey is. His prices have got a bit high also.

Torpey now charge €39.99 for a goalkeeper Hurley, that’s crazy price.

They’re around €30-€32 with the other makers

big_drive wrote: »
    Torpey now charge €39.99 for a goalkeeper Hurley, that’s crazy price.

They’re around €30-€32 with the other makers

Yes, Heard that.
    Those prices make plastic hurleys (and Ash Dieback) viable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I like paudi Fitzpatrick as a hurler but not as a full back he has more about him then that, Sean Bleahene scored something like 2-3 off him today in the charity match in Galway, corner back suit's him more but definitely not full

Surely lohan has more on mind for the 3 position then him, obviously both Jack Browne and Cleary need to be looked at in that position, every full back that played club championship this year was not far off the 30 mark bar maybe Garrett Kennedy from clonlara, options are not great at the moment Galway won 4-16 to 0-21 points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yes, Heard that.
    Those prices make plastic hurleys (and Ash Dieback) viable

To be fair the thorpy hurl offer little hiding place for the goalkeeper with a poor strike, the ballyea keeper this year used to give a hollow sound that would echo around the park highlighting the difference in striking the ball fully and putting it where you intend, and that slap sound of not striking properly and slightly missing the initial target

Would love to know who made Eoin larkings hurls, always a lovely sound off his frees

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I like paudi Fitzpatrick as a hurler but not as a full back he has more about him then that, Sean Bleahene scored something like 2-3 off him today in the charity match in Galway, corner back suit's him more but definitely not full

Surely lohan has more on mind for the 3 position then him, obviously both Jack Browne and Cleary need to be looked at in that position, every full back that played club championship this year was not far off the 30 mark bar maybe Garrett Kennedy from clonlara, options are not great at the moment Galway won 4-16 to 0-21 points

I think its slowly dawning on us that Clares 19 to 24 age group is poor,very poor. I think weve the least talented group in Munster in that 5 year bracket. Maybe Lohan should have brought in Garrett Kennedy from Clonlara? I like that theres a wide net being cast and James Moran would be a very good judge of player ..Sometimes in Clare we dont let a player settle into a position. I do.like the feel of Lohans management already.

Where could I get one of those online? I can't find anything about them online aside from a hurley repair station on facebook. I'm interested in getting a hurley off them. I played a club match and alot of the Clare lads I played against were using them and torpey

Where could I get one of those online? I can't find anything about them online aside from a hurley repair station on facebook. I'm interested in getting a hurley off them. I played a club match and alot of the Clare lads I played against were using them and torpey

I don't know.
    Personally, I never liked the Torpey Hurley, I always preferred Philip Doyle's in Wexford. Made a nice stick and would post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

Dont think he ever played in that position before should be out wing back or placed as a sweeper hes pace 2 burn wen he gets going

Hopefully he gets a good run in the league at the end off the day only a challenge match

This lad could nail down a spot come championship

I don't really know many of these hurlers Brian started against Galway (aside from Mikey O'Neil, who I met in real life.) in the challenge match. Any footage of it? I'd like to see how some of these lads are playing.
    I'd say Brian just wanted to test the waters with some of these players. Guessing their under 20 or under 21 players.

I don't really know many of these hurlers Brian started against Galway (aside from Mikey O'Neil, who I met in real life.) in the challenge match. Any footage of it? I'd like to see how some of these lads are playing.
    I'd say Brian just wanted to test the waters with some of these players. Guessing their under 20 or under 21 players.

https://clarechampion.ie/defeat-for-clare-in-senior-hurling-challenge-as-lohan-reign-begins/

Thanks.
    Interesting, none of our usual starters like Podge Collins or Shane O'Donnel.
    I'm excited to hear about Ryan Taylor starting and playing during the championship. I met him aswell and he was a very nice lad, seems to do consistently well.

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1205496202588016641
    some odd choices here. Putting David McInernery in as wing back is a bold move, not one I'm sure will work out. Plus Ryan Taylor isn't starting even after he had a good game against Galway. Something still surprising is that there's not alot of our usual starters like Tony Kelly, Colm Galvin, Shane O'Donnell, John Conlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Early days, time to experiment

Any word on how preparations are going for the Clare senior and U20 Football panels at the moment? The Clare seniors will play Limerick in the McGrath Cup on December 29th. While the Clare U20's will take on their Limerick U20 counterparts, in the 1st round of the Liam O'Connor Cup, a pre-season competition for inter-county U20 football teams, on January 4th.

The big question is whether Keelan Sexton is back training with the Clare senior football panel? Any info on that and who are the new name that are currently training with the Clare seniors, will be most welcome by this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭letowski

Feenie wrote:
    some odd choices here. Putting David McInernery in as wing back is a bold move, not one I'm sure will work out. Plus Ryan Taylor isn't starting even after he had a good game against Galway. Something still surprising is that there's not alot of our usual starters like Tony Kelly, Colm Galvin, Shane O'Donnell, John Conlon

I like the idea of McInerney at half back, but for sure Lohan will need to find a full back. With that being said, McInerney's form at full back has been very erratic the last three years, he never made the adjustments in his game to be a solid full back. He has the skillset and talent to be a top half back though imo. Looks like Lohan will try out a few players there. Id like to see Ross Hayes get a chance there.

I like some of Lohan's ideas. Like Jason McCarthy has that right type of aggression to play corner back, I'd like to see mark some good corner forwards in the league and see how he goes.

Deasy looks like he will be given the first chance to replace Duggan. He has a good bit to improve to be a good starter at intercounty level in my opinion. Lohan looks to be trying lut a good few players at wing forward. There is no doubt half forward is Clare's weakest line, by a considerable distance .

It will an interesting winter/spring anyway. But we badly need 2 or 3 new players to emerge as good starters, particurly in the full back line and half forward line. Im hoping when Kelly returns from injury he is played in the full forward line, an inside line with him Conlon and O'Donnell could be very exciting in the summer.

letowski wrote: »
    I like the idea of McInerney at half back, but for sure Lohan will need to find a full back. With that being said, McInerney's form at full back has been very erratic the last three years, he never made the adjustments in his game to be a solid full back. He has the skillset and talent to be a top half back though imo. Looks like Lohan will try out a few players there. Id like to see Ross Hayes get a chance there.

I like some of Lohan's ideas. Like Jason McCarthy has that right type of aggression to play corner back, I'd like to see mark some good corner forwards in the league and see how he goes.

Deasy looks like he will be given the first chance to replace Duggan. He has a good bit to improve to be a good starter at intercounty level in my opinion. Lohan looks to be trying lut a good few players at wing forward. There is no doubt half forward is Clare's weakest line, by a considerable distance .

It will an interesting winter/spring anyway. But we badly need 2 or 3 new players to emerge as good starters, particurly in the full back line and half forward line. Im hoping when Kelly returns from injury he is played in the full forward line, an inside line with him Conlon and O'Donnell could be very exciting in the summer.

I completely agree with you there. Niall Deasy getting his break is a good thing.

I'm not too sure about Jason McCarthy or David McInerney. I'm not sure David Mc's strengths because I haven't really studied him. That's a general problem with this team. We have some decent backs but they don't seem to get their names out to often. Only David Mc And David Fitzgerald will really have a name for themselves in my opinion.

I don't think Tony Kelly belongs in the full forward line. It is far from a bad idea but I feel like for the usual 2 best forwards on the edge of the square approach we should put Conlon and O'Donnell there. In my opinion Tony belongs in MidField with Colm Galvin. Tony always has had a big connection with Colm, plus he likes too have space, which he'll have more of in midfield. Plus I've seen him in games with Ballyea, he can come back and make clearances, and maybe even score from the half back line, which could the use the support of someone like Tony. Plus his long range style could have more development in midfield.

Feenie wrote:
    I completely agree with you there. Niall Deasy getting his break is a good thing.

I'm not too sure about Jason McCarthy or David McInerney. I'm not sure David Mc's strengths because I haven't really studied him. That's a general problem with this team. We have some decent backs but they don't seem to get their names out to often. Only David Mc And David Fitzgerald will really have a name for themselves in my opinion.

I don't think Tony Kelly belongs in the full forward line. It is far from a bad idea but I feel like for the usual 2 best forwards on the edge of the square approach we should put Conlon and O'Donnell there. In my opinion Tony belongs in MidField with Colm Galvin. Tony always has had a big connection with Colm, plus he likes too have space, which he'll have more of in midfield. Plus I've seen him in games with Ballyea, he can come back and make clearances, and maybe even score from the half back line, which could the use the support of someone like Tony. Plus his long range style could have more development in midfield.

The is no doubt Tony Kelly has certain attributes that make him a brilliant midfielder. His striking and support play/running make him one of the premiere talents in hurling. On his day, he can be impossible to stop from midfield or center forward. The issue though is in a game that is getting more and more physical and tight between the 40s, you have to be good in the contact area, beit winning your own ball, breaking through a tackle, or giving a tackle. Clare were blown out of it against Limerick and Tipp and Tony himself really struggled.

Now that being said, I fully accept giving him a roaming corner forward role will inhibit some parts of his game. The reality is Tony is at his best getting the ball running towards goal, than he is getting the ball with his back to goal, which is what he will be doing if he does play closer to goal. But learning the nuances of inside forward play is a challenge that Tony could take to very well, I known the lad is a very hard worker on his game. Plus a roaming corner forward role can allow him to make runs from deep, say off a good target like Conlon at full forward (of course SOD is excellent at laying off passes too). Either way, if Tony plays midfield, CF or in the full forward line, we need to see him perform more consistently at senior level for Clare. He was magnificent against Waterford and Cork last year, but totally annoymous against Limerick and Tipp.

- -

I like that Lohan is trying out some experiments. It was one of my biggest gripes with D&G's tenure. They used the bare bones of the squad during the league games. I felt that there wasn't a competitive culture for places in the team and thus, there wasn't any real accountability in the squad when they played bad. I'd like to see Lohan give a good few lads a proper chance to stake a claim for a place, and put established players who performed poorly last year on notice on whats the acceptable standard.

letowski wrote: »
    The is no doubt Tony Kelly has certain attributes that make him a brilliant midfielder. His striking and support play/running make him one of the premiere talents in hurling. On his day, he can be impossible to stop from midfield or center forward. The issue though is in a game that is getting more and more physical and tight between the 40s, you have to be good in the contact area, beit winning your own ball, breaking through a tackle, or giving a tackle. Clare were blown out of it against Limerick and Tipp and Tony himself really struggled.

Now that being said, I fully accept giving him a roaming corner forward role will inhibit some parts of his game. The reality is Tony is at his best getting the ball running towards goal, than he is getting the ball with his back to goal, which is what he will be doing if he does play closer to goal. But learning the nuances of inside forward play is a challenge that Tony could take to very well, I known the lad is a very hard worker on his game. Plus a roaming corner forward role can allow him to make runs from deep, say off a good target like Conlon at full forward (of course SOD is excellent at laying off passes too). Either way, if Tony plays midfield, CF or in the full forward line, we need to see him perform more consistently at senior level for Clare. He was magnificent against Waterford and Cork last year, but totally annoymous against Limerick and Tipp.

- -

I like that Lohan is trying out some experiments. It was one of my biggest gripes with D&G's tenure. They used the bare bones of the squad during the league games. I felt that there wasn't a competitive culture for places in the team and thus, there wasn't any real accountability in the squad when they played bad. I'd like to see Lohan give a good few lads a proper chance to stake a claim for a place, and put established players who performed poorly last year on notice on whats the acceptable standard.

I agree with you there. I think too many people in Clare are afraid to slap SOD, Podge Collins and Tony Kelly on the back when they're not putting on performances. The only one of those 3 who ever gets substituted is podge. We need to teach the players on our squad that they have to put on a performance, or someone else is taking their jersey. We need to set a bar and they need to hit. In my opinion if those 3 didn't start for a few games, they would have more hunger, and would totally fly it when they got on. Especially in a big game like a semi-final or a munster final.

https://www.facebook.com/IrishExaminerSport/videos/564258910786223/
    Clare vs Tipperary just started. Edgy hurling so far

HT Clare 2-6 Tipperary 0-10. Ian Galvin and Seadna Morey with the Clare goals

Clare 2-17 Tipp 1-19

• Advertisement

My first look at Lohan's Clare team, early doors yet of course, but he had the team playing very direct. I taught moving Niall Deasy into full forward turned the game around for us to be honest. Young Colin Guilfoyle started at 14, but he was relatively ineffective. Deasy was very good in the second half and was a handful for Tipp. If Clare want to keep looking to play the ball in diect theyll need a good player in the air up top to make it stick.

Other than that it was a good run out for the lads. Taught Reidy, Podge, Galvin played well as did Taylor, the McCarthys, Shanagher and Reidy. Ryan scored two brilliant points to start the game, but needed to come off with a leg injury after 10 mins. I think bringing Shanagher out to the 40 is a good idea to help with his development. He stalled the last year, but I think bringing him out will help improve his movement, control and striking. Good to have Reidy back also. Lohan brought on a lad there in the 2nd half at wing forward, Donal McMahan, dont know much about him only he is a big kid. Could he offer something at this level?

Backs were solid enough back there. Lohan had them organised. Browne struggled a bit with Forde. Hehir did fine at center back. The corners played well.

Advertisement