Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The Clare senior footballers will open their new season with a McGrath Cup game against Limerick in Rathkeale, on this Sunday with a 2 pm throw-in. The likes of Kildysart's Emmet McMahon and Ennistymon's Cillian Rouine are among the likely new starters for the footballers this Sunday, who will be missing Jamie Malone and Gary Brennan for the 2020 league and championship campaign.

The likes of St Breckan's Aidan Davidson and Joe McGann are likely to play a part also, as the main focus for Colm Collins' side will be the opening NFL Division 2 league game against Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday January 26th.

Division 2 survival and a Munster final appearance are the main goals for 2020, from a Clare football point of view.

Finally I want to wish all posters on boards a very peaceful and happy Christmas!!!

happy Christmas , and many happy returns , dont be a stranger for 2020 , you are an excellent poster on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

happy Christmas , and many happy returns , dont be a stranger for 2020 , you are an excellent poster on here :)

Really appreciate those lovely comments windy. From a personal point of view I would also like to send you a very peaceful and wonderful Christmas and most especially of all, I hope it will be a positive and successful new year for you and all round in Kilmihil and West Clare in particular.

It has been a most difficult 2019. Lots of issues with family health and all that. Hopefully 2020 will be a most productive year for Clare GAA both on and off the fields, as 2019 was hugely forgettable.

You continue to do a great job windy with these brilliant match reports, whether it would be inter-county or club, are hugely beneficial. Keep up the great work and I have every reason to believe that 2020 will be just as similar, if not better!

Finally in a more general note, I would like to thank all posters and in particular the moderators like yourself windy, who keep discussion on the more heated of issues, a little less heated. You set a great template that other forums outside of boards should follow.

So I think its just about time to say, open the presents, wake up the kids, go to mass and feast on the turkey and goose, with a bit of beer mixed in. Today is a day to loosen the chests and belts folks. Have a great day everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

does anyone have any idea what an ideal starting 15 for Clare would be? I've thought about it a lot but have never really came to a conclusion, I'm interested to see what you lads think.

I've heard from a small bás hurley that you get a better strike of a ball-is this true?
    I have a torpey big bás but I've been considering getting one of their standard bás hurleys. Are they any good, or any better at striking then their big bás hurleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Feenie wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea what an ideal starting 15 for Clare would be? I've thought about it a lot but have never really came to a conclusion, I'm interested to see what you lads think.

1: Tony Kelly
    2: Tony Kelly
    3: Tony Kelly
    4: Tony Kelly
    5: Tony Kelly
    6: Tony Kelly
    7: Tony Kelly
    8: Tony Kelly
    9: Tony Kelly
    10: Tony Kelly
    11: Tony Kelly
    12: Tony Kelly
    13: Tony Kelly
    14: Tony Kelly
    15: Tony Kelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

1: Tony Kelly
    2: Tony Kelly
    3: Tony Kelly
    4: Tony Kelly
    5: Tony Kelly
    6: Tony Kelly
    7: Tony Kelly
    8: Tony Kelly
    9: Tony Kelly
    10: Tony Kelly
    11: Tony Kelly
    12: Tony Kelly
    13: Tony Kelly
    14: Tony Kelly
    15: Tony Kelly

Who take the frees? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

The Clare senior footballers will open their new season with a McGrath Cup game against Limerick in Rathkeale, on this Sunday with a 2 pm throw-in. The likes of Kildysart's Emmet McMahon and Ennistymon's Cillian Rouine are among the likely new starters for the footballers this Sunday, who will be missing Jamie Malone and Gary Brennan for the 2020 league and championship campaign.

The likes of St Breckan's Aidan Davidson and Joe McGann are likely to play a part also, as the main focus for Colm Collins' side will be the opening NFL Division 2 league game against Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday January 26th.

Division 2 survival and a Munster final appearance are the main goals for 2020, from a Clare football point of view.

Finally I want to wish all posters on boards a very peaceful and happy Christmas!!!

According to champion Pearse Lillis, Keelan Sexton, Ciaran Russell and Martin O'Leary are all back on the panel. Russell was very good with Kilmacud Crokes in Dublin championship. Played midfield with them. Probably be himself and Cathal O'Connor midfield? Hopefully Dermot Coughlan and Dale Masterson step up in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Treble double

Gael85 wrote: »
    Who take the frees? 😉

Seamus Durack
    Jackie O Gorman
    Brian Lohan
    John Joe goggles Doyle
    Liam Doyle
    Seanie McMahon
    Sean Stack
    Ollie Baker
    Colin Lynch
    Jamsie O Connor
    Tony Kelly
    Johnny Callinan
    Tull Considine
    Tommy Guilfoyle
    Sparrow.

That team should give a rattle at the Munster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Seamus Durack
    Jackie O Gorman
    Brian Lohan
    John Joe goggles Doyle
    Liam Doyle
    Seanie McMahon
    Sean Stack
    Ollie Baker
    Colin Lynch
    Jamsie O Connor
    Tony Kelly
    Johnny Callinan
    Tull Considine
    Tommy Guilfoyle
    Sparrow.

Why aren't you starting Jimmy Smyth,, clares highest scorer in a Championship match.. disgraceful decision

Figerty wrote: »
    Why aren't you starting Jimmy Smyth,, clares highest scorer in a Championship match.. disgraceful decision

Good shout Jimmy Smyth goes straight in on the verge of the square in place of big Tommy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Good shout Jimmy Smyth goes straight in on the verge of the square in place of big Tommy

I don't know, Tommy got the hip done lately, he should be able to turn in two directions now..
    Would have to look at Tony Kelly, he doesn't have the legs anymore..

Seamus Durack
    Jackie O Gorman
    Brian Lohan
    John Joe goggles Doyle
    Liam Doyle
    Seanie McMahon
    Sean Stack
    Ollie Baker
    Colin Lynch
    Jamsie O Connor
    Tony Kelly
    Johnny Callinan
    Tull Considine
    Tommy Guilfoyle
    Sparrow.

Davy Fitz
    Jackie O'Gorman
    Brian Lohan
    Frank Lohan
    Liam Doyle
    Seanie MacMahon
    Anthony Daly
    Tony Kelly
    Colin Lynch
    Jamesie O'Connor
    Colin Ryan
    Peter Duggan
    Nial Gilligan
    Jimmy Smith
    John Conlon

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Davy Fitz
    Jackie O'Gorman
    Brian Lohan
    Frank Lohan
    Liam Doyle
    Seanie MacMahon
    Anthony Daly
    Tony Kelly
    Colin Lynch
    Jamesie O'Connor
    Colin Ryan
    Peter Duggan
    Nial Gilligan
    Jimmy Smith
    John Conlon

I take it you never saw Sean Stack play hurling

Davys Fits wrote: »
    I take it you never saw Sean Stack play hurling

I heard he was quite good. Better than Seanie Mac though? ...

Clare panel has been named for today's McGrath cup football match against Limerick. See link below.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1211274949152907265

Limerick 0-9 Clare 1-3 latest in McGrath Cup football after 48 mins.

Clare yet to score from play so far. We also haven't registered a score in the 2nd half also.

Second goal for Keelan Sexton. Now Clare 2-3 Limerick 0-10 after 50 mins.

Positives for Clare. We did not concede a goal. Keelan Sexton looked very sharp. Great to see. 4 players also made their debut from the start. Ciaran Morrissey - Kilmurry Ibrickane, Cillian Rouine - Ennistymon, Ciaran Downes - Kilmihil and Joe McGann - St Breckans

Negatives. Very wasteful in front of goal. 10 wides in total and a good few balls dropped short. Poor shooting in general. The players and management pride themselves on scoring efficiency, so that's something that needs addressing going forward. We need to find more players that can shoot from long range and deal better with mass/blanket defenses. Limerick flooded players back and dispossessed Clare a lot and won a huge amount of turnovers. They had a number of very physical men who ran through Clare like a snow plough. Their direct running and in general their better use of the ball, got the Shannonsiders over the line. Limerick look well coached too.

Not terribly worried by the result. I believe that Limerick had played a good few challenge matches more than we did, which suggests they started pre-season training a bit earlier than the Clare lads. However its our decision making in front of goal, will be of a more pressing concern for Colm Collins and co. Taking the right option, is the mantra that the Clare management always press home hard to the players.

"Laying the ball off to the man in the better position" will be the narrative that players will get that particular message, loud and clear from management, that's for sure, when they do the video analysis in the coming days. Plenty to ponder ahead of Clare's next match against Waterford in the McGrath Cup, next Sunday in Miltown Malbay. Throw-in is at 2 pm.

A win for Limerick over Waterford next Thursday night in Fraher Field, Dungarvan will guarantee their place in the McGrath Cup final, to be played on Saturday 11th January.

Positives for Clare. We did not concede a goal. Keelan Sexton looked very sharp. Great to see. 4 players also made their debut from the start. Ciaran Morrissey - Kilmurry Ibrickane, Cillian Rouine - Ennistymon, Ciaran Downes - Kilmihil and Joe McGann - St Breckans

Negatives. Very wasteful in front of goal. 10 wides in total and a good few balls dropped short. Poor shooting in general. The players and management pride themselves on scoring efficiency, so that's something that needs addressing going forward. We need to find more players that can shoot from long range and deal better with mass/blanket defenses. Limerick flooded players back and dispossessed Clare a lot and won a huge amount of turnovers. They had a number of very physical men who ran through Clare like a snow plough. Their direct running and in general their better use of the ball, got the Shannonsiders over the line. Limerick look well coached too.

Not terribly worried by the result. I believe that Limerick had played a good few challenge matches more than we did, which suggests they started pre-season training a bit earlier than the Clare lads. However its our decision making in front of goal, will be of a more pressing concern for Colm Collins and co. Taking the right option, is the mantra that the Clare management always press home hard to the players.

"Laying the ball off to the man in the better position" will be the narrative that players will get that particular message, loud and clear from management, that's for sure, when they do the video analysis in the coming days. Plenty to ponder ahead of Clare's next match against Waterford in the McGrath Cup, next Sunday in Miltown Malbay. Throw-in is at 2 pm.

A win for Limerick over Waterford next Thursday night in Fraher Field, Dungarvan will guarantee their place in the McGrath Cup final, to be played on Saturday 11th January.

Early days but this is going to be a tough year for Clare football. This was a division 2 versus division 4. But today it looked like two div 4 teams. The loss of Gary Brennan, Jamie Malone, Aaron Fitzgerald and Sean O Donoghue in one fell swoop is too much for Clare football to cope with. Young lads are being blooded and it will take time, the newbies looked like boys thrown in against men today and that's understandable it will take them a few years to establish themselves. If Collins keeps Clare in division 2 this year it will be miraculous management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Early days but this is going to be a tough year for Clare football. This was a division 2 versus division 4. But today it looked like two div 4 teams. The loss of Gary Brennan, Jamie Malone, Aaron Fitzgerald and Sean O Donoghue in one fell swoop is too much for Clare football to cope with. Young lads are being blooded and it will take time, the newbies looked like boys thrown in against men today and that's understandable it will take them a few years to establish themselves. If Collins keeps Clare in division 2 this year it will be miraculous management.

You can't go on a game like today to give an indecation how the year will go, there must have been close to half a dozen first team players missing today, most of this squad was made up of guys trying to get into the league panel,

I don't think the majority of teams in division 2 are that much better then us, look at the amount of players Cavan have lost, teams like Fermanagh, Laois westmeath, armagh are all around our level

Only roscommon got further then clare in the championship out of the 8 teams in the division, also this was the first meeting the players had since Christmas there last seassion was around a week ago so no surprise they were sluggish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

For those who may not have seen it.. an incredibly forthcoming description of dealing with a concussion by Clare and The Banners Laurie Ryan https://www.the42.ie/concussion-deep-dive-laurie-ryan-cormac-bane-emma-duffy-4923781-Dec2019/

I've heard alot of complaints about Cusack Park, but it seems like a very nice stadium to me. What exactly does it need?

I've heard alot of complaints about Cusack Park, but it seems like a very nice stadium to me. What exactly does it need?

A seated section that a normal sized man or woman can sit in without driving their knees into the back of the person in front of them would be a start. The seated stand is a joke and it's about the size of a hen house.

https://www.patkeoghconstruction.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Cusack_Park-20161007-002.jpg
    the stand here? Yeah it does look it needs to be separated further out a small bit, but the county board could do that fairly easily...

https://www.patkeoghconstruction.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Cusack_Park-20161007-002.jpg
    the stand here? Yeah it does look it needs to be separated further out a small bit, but the county board could do that fairly easily...
    That is the new super duper mark 2 version of the old stand, but the only difference from the old stand is the paintwork

That is the new super duper mark 2 version of the old stand, but the only difference from the old stand is the paintwork

like alot nicer atleast, plus they have a studio in there now so we can watch local games. Atleast there's some upsides

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

like alot nicer atleast, plus they have a studio in there now so we can watch local games. Atleast there's some upsides

Sorry there. It's a complete dump of a stand. Its not fit as a hen house. That studio you talk about...well the journalists cant actually see all the pitch from it. It's been well highlighted.

Disappointing but sadly not surprising via the link below. As long as the status quo remains, then nothing will change regarding much needed major reform in the way Clare GAA operates or does its business and be held to account for their actions or in-actions, which is most long overdue.

We will continue to get the usual suspects among clubs, backing up the county board to the hilt, as if their lives depending on it. If we want accountability, transparency and repercussions for county board executive officials for not doing their job properly, then this must be a united front, with all clubs demanding change in the way the Clare county board operates and does its business.

One dissenting voice is not enough among club delegates. This needs to be all clubs united, as one to achieve the same goal. Without this unity from clubs, then Clare GAA will continue to serve only the best interests of a minority of County board officials, rather than the general good of GAA within the Banner County. It will continue to be a closed shop for ordinary club members or the wider public in general re positions in the Clare CB top table, with no sign of that changing any time soon.

https://www.clareecho.ie/motion-to-limit-tenure-of-county-board-delegates-defeated/

• Advertisement

5 matches of note in Clare over the coming week

Saturday January 4th - All-Ireland senior club football semi-final: Corofin v Nemo Rangers, Throw-in is at 1:30 pm at Cusack Park, Ennis

Sunday January 5th - Liam O'Connor Cup U20 inter-county football competition - Clare v Limerick, Throw-in is at 11 am at Clarecastle

Clare v Limerick - Munster Senior Hurling League, throw-in at 2 pm at Sixmilebridge

Clare v Waterford - McGrath Cup football, throw-in at 2 pm in Miltown Malbay

Wednesday January 8th - Harty Cup Munster post-primary colleges hurling - St Flannans Ennis v St Joseph's Tulla at a Clare venue, Time, date and venue TBC

Advertisement