Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Congratulations to Kilmihil native windy shepard henderson on a famous day for them and Shannon Gaels, as the West Clare combo defeated St Breckans in the Clare U21 A Football final, on a scoreline of 3-10 to 1-15, in Cusack Park Ennis today.

I look forward to hearing about windy's thoughts, on what appears to be an outstanding game of football. Great stuff from both teams. Well done to Kilmihil/Shannon Gaels though. A huge success story for both parishes and its surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Treble double

Congratulations to Kilmihil native windy shepard henderson on a famous day for them and Shannon Gaels, as the West Clare combo defeated St Breckans in the Clare U21 A Football final, on a scoreline of 3-10 to 1-15, in Cusack Park Ennis today.

I look forward to hearing about windy's thoughts, on what appears to be an outstanding game of football. Great stuff from both teams. Well done to Kilmihil/Shannon Gaels though. A huge success story for both parishes and its surrounding areas.

Yes congrats sounded like a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭conor05

If Kerry had over half their county solely concentrating on hurling it would be easy enough compete with them in football.

If Kerry had half their county competing in hurling they would be challenging for Liam McCarthy.

Do hold their own in hurling consider its only an 8 team hotbed of hurling in North Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

early 1980s , (roughly ) jimmy birmingham closes murty brownes pub after a row brakes out between kilmihil and Shannon gales players after a championship game

1999 enter Anthony daly captain of the clare hurling team at the time takes over jimmies empire on the ill fated kilmihil/gaels border
    and later gets involved in a hurling hungry parish of kilmihil to great success

2008 : after years of hurling success under daly and fr peter o'loughlin of ruan the logistics of ruining a hurling team in football country was taking its toll.
    shortly afterwards peter o'connell of the clare championion realised the impact of the up an coming rescission and had the forsight to contact the kilmihil club
    and ask for an amalgamation

at first it was one or two gaels lads and 13 kilmihil , but all has changed since , niall ellis and the inter county standerd improvement of darragh bohannon ,
    were the difference today , the elis family from england moved into jimmys house a few years after he died and carried his gaels flag with them
    niall is a shoe in for colm clollins line up next febuary if today is anything to go by
    its been 24 years since kilmihil won an A title ironically it was against shannon gales in an ill fated minor final in 1995
    the real winner today was clare football, both teams played a kicking game most likley encourged from development squads down through the years
    , kilmihil raced into a 2-3 to 0-3 point lead but before half time, joe mcgann and the flawless jamie stack on frees brought it back to one

a missed bounce by the kilmihil/gaels defence on the 29th minute offered breckanes with there only goal chance of the game which was taken by jonah culligan

niall ellis found the breckans net early in the third 1/4 to put the gaels/kilmihil in the driving seat .
    the ellis family moved here from england about ten years ago and moved into jimmy birminghams house ,
    the man who closed the pub due to rival parish fighting in the 80s must have been delighted as the center forward
    palmed in garoid o'gradys fist , after this the game entered a 50/50 period where both teams went point for point

the most impressive player for me after ellis was ciaran downes , was surprised to hear collins had called him up to the intercounty panel
    but today he was immense , he missed a 20 meter free at one stage but kicked 3 or 4 excellent scores from the right wing position near the sideline
    the last of which was the winner

i feel sorry fr breckans , i regard people from north clare as the best supporters in the county , they will
    have a serious impact in years to come and hopfully they acn pull off a shock against templenoe next week

tonight the cup is in murty brownes , the pub on the border of two Parrish that once never got on it go's to show
    what can happen when people pull to gather , tonight kilkee are junior because they didnt want to amalgamate peter o'connell is the man to thank for all this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fair point, but if comparing like with like what are the numbers of adult football clubs in Kerry compared to adult football clubs in Clare, I don't have the figures but I would think Kerry have possibly double the amount of Clare. When you go outside the top 6 or 7 clubs in Clare there is a big drop off in standard. The top clubs in Clare could hold their own in most company.

Bones of 60 clubs in Kerry - probably about 50 of them where football would be the priority. This year there was 8 teams take part in the senior hurling, 8 in the intermediate and 3 in the junior hurling in Kerry. Some few of those in the intemediate and junior would be B teams/amalgamations.
    junior level in both hurling and football here is normally contested by 2nd string teams and the odd first team in the likes of michael cusacks

problem is we have the best part of 25 to 30 clubs in both codes most of which duel , when you have a 16 team hurling and 12 team football championship dividing by 3 from say a figure of 30 (ambitious) means your junior level will be poor

we just need to find other ways to be competitive with kerry in football . the st breckans v templenoe game will be a bar to see if we are making or losing ground on kerry teams , anything near 8 points would be a positive for breckans

Templenoe are a serious outfit at intemediate level - they have 4 Kerry seniors and 4 more lads who have played with the Kerry Juniors, plus some more decent club players alongside them. Their issue is they don't have much in the way of squad depth (the bodies simply aren't there) For one of their county league games this summer, they had 6 away with Kerry (4 w the seniors, 2 w the juniors and had 3 or 4 injuries so they had 1 sub in total who was 47 years old) However I think they have no injuries at the moment, which makes them entirely a different kettle of fish. I think it would be a mistake to draw too much on this one game.

One possible solution to the differing levels as regards provincial/All-Ireland competitions might be to introduce a 4th and possibly a 5th tier competition. I'm nearly sure there was a unofficial 4th tier Munster football competition a few years back - it was basically challenge matches organised between the clubs themselves. Don't know if there would be demand for it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Next year's league fixtures are out

26/01 - Footballers away to Westmeath @ 2
    Hurlers home to Carlow @ 2

02/02 - Footballers home to Kildare @ 2
    Hulers away to Wexford @ 2

09/02 - Footballers away to Roscommon @ 2
    Hurlers home to Laois @ 2

23/02 - Footballers home to Laois @ 2
    Hurlers away to Kilkenny @ 2

01/03 - Footballers away to Cavan @ 2.30
    Hurlers home to Dublin @ 2

15/03 - Footballers home to Fermanagh @ 2

22/03 - Footballers home to Armagh @ 2

As the annual Clare GAA county board convention, is set to take place on December 12th, we hope that we will see much needed change in the CB executive and that it will be a more open, transparent and accountable and not a closed shop, full of "yes men" administrators etc.

However it appears that a certain man out west, is about to become vice-chairman, after current incumbent PJ McGuane, indicated that he will seek a role in central council and thus vacate his role. If true and confirmed, it is a regressive step, in the way Clare GAA operates and does it's business. The particular man has been twice county board chairman in the past. I won't say much more about this man or else......

But it's not good news imo for Clare GAA, if he gets re-elected onto the executive. I have to be very careful about my language after recent events. But I can tell right now, those that want change and a new era for Clare GAA, this is a backward step for sure.

In other GAA news, Wolfe Tones are 4 points at half-time in extra-time against Miltown Malbay in the U21 B football semi-final. While Clare Junior A Football Champions, Michael Cusacks had another annus horribilis against Na Gaeil from Kerry, in the Munster Championship semi-final, 12 months after shipping another heavy defeat to Beaufort, also from the Kingdom, at this grade.

The infamous social media account, that has caused such angst within Clare GAA HQ circles, is reporting that the current county board chairman, Joe Cooney, will step aside to become Mayor of Clare in the spring. He will be replaced by the new vice chair.

Rumours are circulating that Miltown Malbay clubman Michael "Malty" McDonagh, is likely to run for this position of vice-chair come the annual Clare County Board convention, next month.

If he is running un-opposed for this vice-chair position, then this really is a significant regressive step for Clare GAA. He had two terms as Clare county board chairman. He had his time. Time to move on.

The clubs must take the lead here, if they are really that desperate for a major change, in the way the CB executive functions and operates and does its business.

I'm really sick about what appears to be this "closed shop" where only a certain small cohort of "yes men" administrators, get all the senior positions in Clare GAA administration. Please God that some club will have the moral courage, to nominate a more vibrant, energetic clubman or clubwoman against Malty.

It will be very much same old, same old if a man who has served as CCB chairman twice returns to the Clare GAA top table. I sincerely hope that clubs can see that by returning to the past, is wrong and this must be called out. It will also be seen as a victory for the establishment there, if Malty does return to the executive.

Proper debate must take place on December 12th. This is a huge decision because if this is railroaded or gullotioned through club delegates on the night then Clare GAA is really screwed. He will also get a 5 year term too. A huge few weeks awaits. The future of Clare GAA is at stake here.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The infamous social media account, that has caused such angst within Clare GAA HQ circles, is reporting that the current county board chairman, Joe Cooney, will step aside to become Mayor of Clare in the spring. He will be replaced by the new vice chair.

Rumours are circulating that Miltown Malbay clubman Michael "Malty" McDonagh, is likely to run for this position of vice-chair come the annual Clare County Board convention, next month.

If he is running un-opposed for this vice-chair position, then this really is a significant regressive step for Clare GAA. He had two terms as Clare county board chairman. He had his time. Time to move on.

The clubs must take the lead here, if they are really that desperate for a major change, in the way the CB executive functions and operates and does its business.

I'm really sick about what appears to be this "closed shop" where only a certain small cohort of "yes men" administrators, get all the senior positions in Clare GAA administration. Please God that some club will have the moral courage, to nominate a more vibrant, energetic clubman or clubwoman against Malty.

It will be very much same old, same old if a man who has served as CCB chairman twice returns to the Clare GAA top table. I sincerely hope that clubs can see that by returning to the past, is wrong and this must be called out. It will also be seen as a victory for the establishment there, if Malty does return to the executive.

Proper debate must take place on December 12th. This is a huge decision because if this is railroaded or gullotioned through club delegates on the night then Clare GAA is really screwed. He will also get a 5 year term too. A huge few weeks awaits. The future of Clare GAA is at stake here.

Hopefully Scariff and a few more clubs stand up again and say 'Malty thanks but we are going to go with someone who is going to modernise the place not put in another formica counter top and vinyl floor circa 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Bones of 60 clubs in Kerry - probably about 50 of them where football would be the priority. This year there was 8 teams take part in the senior hurling, 8 in the intermediate and 3 in the junior hurling in Kerry. Some few of those in the intemediate and junior would be B teams/amalgamations.

Templenoe are a serious outfit at intemediate level - they have 4 Kerry seniors and 4 more lads who have played with the Kerry Juniors, plus some more decent club players alongside them. Their issue is they don't have much in the way of squad depth (the bodies simply aren't there) For one of their county league games this summer, they had 6 away with Kerry (4 w the seniors, 2 w the juniors and had 3 or 4 injuries so they had 1 sub in total who was 47 years old) However I think they have no injuries at the moment, which makes them entirely a different kettle of fish. I think it would be a mistake to draw too much on this one game.

One possible solution to the differing levels as regards provincial/All-Ireland competitions might be to introduce a 4th and possibly a 5th tier competition. I'm nearly sure there was a unofficial 4th tier Munster football competition a few years back - it was basically challenge matches organised between the clubs themselves. Don't know if there would be demand for it, though.
    A Limerick club, think it's Kileedy, have organised the unofficial Junior B hurling championship for the last number of years to great success. Not sure there is a football equivalent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

A Limerick club, think it's Kileedy, have organised the unofficial Junior B hurling championship for the last number of years to great success. Not sure there is a football equivalent though.

Did a bit of googling and there was a Munster Junior B football as well.

Really think its a no-brainer that a 4th tier All-Ireland club competition be added.
    I doubt it would have too much in the way of a negative impact in terms of fixtures.

https://limerickgaa.ie/junior-b-provincial-all-ireland-finals-in-knockaderry-killeedy-today-best-of-luck-to-ballybrown-in-football-final/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Does anyone know what happened to Kilrush's football team? They've won the most Clare football county titles but they haven't won a count title since 1987. They were even intermediate for awhile.
    What happened to them?

Feenie wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to Kilrush's football team? They've won the most Clare football county titles but they haven't won a count title since 1987. They were even intermediate for awhile.
    What happened to them?

Yeah Kilrush Shamrocks have struggled in recent times. Emigration, lack of underage success, are just some of the issues that have plagued Kilrush. They have amalgamated with Killimer at underage level for a good number of years now.

For a parish the size of Kilrush, imo I would find that rather disappointing. Compare that to KIB, Miltown Malbay, Cooraclare who have competed in all grades in football, without the need of amalgamations.

With declining numbers and lack of underage players coming through, without both Killimer and Kilrush joining forces, they certainly would not be able to field teams by themselves, let alone take part in Minor and U21 A grades, like they do at the moment.

They did win the 2018 Clare intermediate football title, and subsequently gave eventual Munster and All-Ireland club champions Kilcummin, their toughest game on their path to All-Ireland glory, when they met at the Munster 1/4 final stage last year.

Gearoid O'Brien and Stephen Ryan are currently on the Clare senior football panel. Ryan starts in goal for the county, but plays outfield for the West Clare club. O'Brien has plenty of talent and potential and it will be interesting to see if he can nail down a starting spot come league and championship for Clare in 2020.

I hope that Kilrush can come good again at senior level. I always have a soft spot for West Clare GAA clubs. The big question is will they be Kilkee 2.0. Unlikely I would say, but they will need to improve underage structures and standards if they are to compete at the top again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you got all the clubs from Kilrush back to Loop Head to get come together and field 1 team you would have a very good senior team, maybe not good enough to win the championship but it would more than hold it's own, unfortunately there's people that would prefer to see their own team relegated rather than join together

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

Clareman wrote: »
    If you got all the clubs from Kilrush back to Loop Head to get come together and field 1 team you would have a very good senior team, maybe not good enough to win the championship but it would more than hold it's own, unfortunately there's people that would prefer to see their own team relegated rather than join together

Kilrush is big enough to be very competitive at Senior on their own. They have a decent size population if they got them in young enough and held onto them.

Kilrush is big enough to be very competitive at Senior on their own. They have a decent size population if they got them in young enough and held onto them.

But they aren't competitive but if they combined with others they would be. The population of Kilrush is 2,719 and the population of Milltown is 1,580, heck Ennis has a population of 25k, just because there's a population doesn't mean that they'll have a competitive team

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭square ball

But they aren't competitive but if they combined with others they would be. The population of Kilrush is 2,719 and the population of Milltown is 1,580, heck Ennis has a population of 25k, just because there's a population doesn't mean that they'll have a competitive team

With a population of 2,719 why would they need to combine with others to be competitive?

The tradition was there up to recently too. If they were willing to work hard and put the right structures in place there is no reason why they can't be winning championships in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

With a population of 2,719 why would they need to combine with others to be competitive?

The tradition was there up to recently too. If they were willing to work hard and put the right structures in place there is no reason why they can't be winning championships in the future.

thats exactly the problem , they dont seem to be willing to work hard and put in the hours ,like kilkee they have turned over some amount of players that came through the under age system

they were lucky to avoid a return to intermediate this year and will have to work very hard just to consolidate their senior status for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Yeah Kilrush Shamrocks have struggled in recent times. Emigration, lack of underage success, are just some of the issues that have plagued Kilrush. They have amalgamated with Killimer at underage level for a good number of years now.

For a parish the size of Kilrush, imo I would find that rather disappointing. Compare that to KIB, Miltown Malbay, Cooraclare who have competed in all grades in football, without the need of amalgamations.

With declining numbers and lack of underage players coming through, without both Killimer and Kilrush joining forces, they certainly would not be able to field teams by themselves, let alone take part in Minor and U21 A grades, like they do at the moment.

They did win the 2018 Clare intermediate football title, and subsequently gave eventual Munster and All-Ireland club champions Kilcummin, their toughest game on their path to All-Ireland glory, when they met at the Munster 1/4 final stage last year.

Gearoid O'Brien and Stephen Ryan are currently on the Clare senior football panel. Ryan starts in goal for the county, but plays outfield for the West Clare club. O'Brien has plenty of talent and potential and it will be interesting to see if he can nail down a starting spot come league and championship for Clare in 2020.

I hope that Kilrush can come good again at senior level. I always have a soft spot for West Clare GAA clubs. The big question is will they be Kilkee 2.0. Unlikely I would say, but they will need to improve underage structures and standards if they are to compete at the top again.

Kilrush had a couple of seasons where they found it tough going getting teams fielded. The executive were to blame but their focus was elsewhere ie raising funds for the ground development. The current executive is totally focused on the numerous teams and it shows by how competitive they are at underage level. Currently they are facilitating killimer players but certainly do not rely on them for numbers. Expect all underage teams to be Registered as kilrush in the very near future.

There's not one player from ocurrys that would displace anyone from the current kilrush team. Kilkee,possibly a couple of forwards. Naomh eoin,possibly 1 player but if you had these teams as a divisional outfit they wouldn't be good enough to get to a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Treble double

The best scenario for club football in Clare is to reduce the number of senior teams in the county championship to 8. Then have 4 divisional teams, North Clare, South Clare, East Clare, West Clare. This gives everyone else who is not a member of the elite 8 clubs a chance to play senior if they are good enough. The divisional teams obviously can't be relegated. Have 12 teams in the intermediate championship and the rest in junior. This scenario would see 8 teams currently operating at intermediate demoted to junior. This would create a junior championship worth winning and would avoid the farce that happens every year with Clare junior clubs in Munster.
    The above scenario would be really positive for the club championship in Clare and also give everyone in the county an opportunity to play senior club, which would in turn be good for the county team.

Results from the weekend from a Clare point of view

Clare U21 B Football Final: Kildysart 3-11 Wolfe Tones na Sionna 1-5

Ladies Gaelic Football Inter-provincial final: Munster 4-8 Connacht 0-9, Niamh O'Dea from the Banner Ladies GAA club was confirmed as player of the tournament.

Munster Intermediate Club Football final: Templenoe (Kerry) 0-14 St Breckans 0-5

U20 football inter-county challenge match: Clare 1-10 Offaly 0-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

A sign of the Times maybe, but Milltown or clonmel are much better then the current Austin stacks team

Plus the rockies had very little done in preparation for this, they were eliminated in round 2 of the kerry championship, don't write off the tipp men in the final, it will be close

Not close enuf nemo rangers win by 9

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

just another question, similar to my last one, what happened to Ennis GAA?
    Currently their only hurler with the seniors is Shane O'Donnell, and they haven't won a county title since 1990. What happened?

Crusheen's Jamie Fitzgibbon will be the Clare U20 hurlers strength and conditioning coach for the 2020 season according to Paudie McMahon from the Clare Echo.

Also does anyone know who will be part of manager's Michael Neylon's Clare U20 football management team, for the 2020 Munster U20 Football Championship? They had a good one point win over their Offaly counterparts, in an competitive challenge match this morning.

They will play Waterford in the quarter-final of the Munster U20 Football Championship on February 12th 2020, at a West Clare venue. The winners of this match, will play the defending Munster and All-Ireland U20 Football Champions, Cork in the semi-final, a week later on February 19th 2020.

Feenie wrote: »
    just another question, similar to my last one, what happened to Ennis GAA?
    Currently their only hurler with the seniors is Shane O'Donnell, and they haven't won a county title since 1990. What happened?
    What happened? My opinion is that the chasing pack caught up.

Clare senior hurling championship is as competitive as anywhere in the country. Do a Wikipedia search on the recent winners. Off the top of my head I'd guess there's been 10 different winners since 2005.

Eire og ennis out played sixmilebridge in the championship this year but got caught for 3goals in an unsettled 10 min or so. The point is, they are very competitive.

David reidy will be returning to Clare next season hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

dennispenn wrote: »
    What happened? My opinion is that the chasing pack caught up.

Clare senior hurling championship is as competitive as anywhere in the country. Do a Wikipedia search on the recent winners. Off the top of my head I'd guess there's been 10 different winners since 2005.

Eire og ennis out played sixmilebridge in the championship this year but got caught for 3goals in an unsettled 10 min or so. The point is, they are very competitive.

David reidy will be returning to Clare next season hopefully.

That's a fairly tale. Ennis GAA and sport in general is diabolical for a town of its size. Some great athletes have come out of ennis. I think the GAA teams lack confidence and work rate. That's what I always surmised.
    Sixmilebridge were never in a losing position in that semi final match. Eire Og played well but it just papers over cracks. The bridge dont even rate them as challengers which is sad. Underage they still occasionally dont field in the top underage grade. Eire Og is a badly run club,always has been. Theres towns of a similar size like Tralee and Kilkenny with 3 or 4 senior clubs in the town,. Sligo with 3 and a league of Ireland team.. But weve been over this already many times. Let's hope the Banner and Eire Og do get better...the tradition is well and truly dead but maybe they can forge a new one. Dont hold your breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭KIB4Life

Crusheen's Jamie Fitzgibbon will be the Clare U20 hurlers strength and conditioning coach for the 2020 season according to Paudie McMahon from the Clare Echo.

Also does anyone know who will be part of manager's Michael Neylon's Clare U20 football management team, for the 2020 Munster U20 Football Championship? They had a good one point win over their Offaly counterparts, in an competitive challenge match this morning.

They will play Waterford in the quarter-final of the Munster U20 Football Championship on February 12th 2020, at a West Clare venue. The winners of this match, will play the defending Munster and All-Ireland U20 Football Champions, Cork in the semi-final, a week later on February 19th 2020.

I think Paul Hickey from my own club KIB is one of selectors that will work under Michael Neylon’s. He was previously part of the Clare Minor Management Set-up, so he would be a good addition and knowing Mikie Neylon he will have them prepared as best as they possibly can to good the Munster Championship a good crack. The only thing would be that some of the players might have already played for the Seniors in the League which if it’s like the last two years would make them ineligible to participate in the Under 20’s grade.

Eire Og are a great example of a club which has been badly managed for years and doesn't seem to ever learn from their mistakes, it used to be a case that the easiest way to get on on an Eire Og team was not to be from Ennis. They seem to have turned a bit of a corner now and have been in some great underage structures which saw them win the Under 16 B and A 1 year after another, the fact that Eire Og are playing at B level considering their pick is a disgrace in my opinion but that's for another day.

There's been issues in the past with finances in the club, specifically around the clubhouse bar but I think that's been sorted now, they are doing a bit of a money drive at the moment looking to build a stand, considering what they have in their own club, their access to Flannan's grounds and the fact that they have Cusack Park in town I find it hard to fathom that they have to spend anything on the place but I guess they feel different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Eire Og's grounds aren't fit for purpose though. The whole thing should be looked at. A stand won't do much for it.

Advertisement