Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official 2019 US Open Thread - Pebble Beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory is hitting the ball very well but he’s wobbling as he’s not judging his distances very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

tobsey wrote: »
    Some save from mcilroy there on 12. He’s gone favourite for the tournament and it’d be tough to bet against him the way he’s playing.

Serious commentators curse after I posted this but what a bounce back

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Mcilroy doesn't have the head for it.
    Once he gets close to being a front runner he bottles it.
    Koepka will play aggressive and hard tomorrow and I think he will win again. Rose will fall away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

DJ on probably the worst score he could probably shoot the way he has played the last 10 or 12 holes. Hasn't made a putt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Koepka will play aggressive and hard tomorrow and I think he will win again. Rose will fall away too.

...Complete opposite imo...He has played well most of the round, had 2 bad holes in a row but has shown massive bottle to bounce back...He is well in it and looking very strong mentally...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DJ on probably the worst score he could probably shoot the way he has played the last 10 or 12 holes. Hasn't made a putt.
    Yeah, best payer tee to Green today. Very surprised as he is theno.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Were you on vacation last week?

The.drive.was.fine.the.par5.is.unreachable.by.everyone.but.him.and.few.others

But.Them.wedges.:o

Time will tell...but sounds like a hole you don't go for in two so...
    I bet he'd take a par now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

my.keyboards.broke.:P:o

Get a phone!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All setting up nicely and even Lowry made cut!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Other than the breaking the club; in fairness to him, he has slimmed down a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

eagle eye wrote: »
    So Rory goes and double bogeys the par 5 14th. As I said in my previous post, it's a bit of a problem for Rory where he compounds mistakes. All his good work undone in two holes and he's back at -3.
    And the birdie, birdie bounceback is the kind of thing he would do back in 2014 when he had that great run. Wouldn't bet against him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

prawnsambo wrote:
    And the birdie, birdie bounceback is the kind of thing he would do back in 2014 when he had that great run. Wouldn't bet against him now.
    He is playing great for most of the round. He had a great day on the greens yesterday too.
    I'm not sure he can keep that up. Compare him to Koepka who looks in complete control. Compare him to DJ who couldn't buy a putt yesterday.
    I think both DJ and Koepka are going to be right there on Sunday.
    Of course we can't forget about the two leaders either. Woodland is the type that keeps going. Rose has had two great days scrambling and putting so I'm not so sure he will still be there after the third round.
    Rory can't afford to compound a mistake again. It's been a momentum killer in every major this year for him. He got away with it last night because he was hitting great irons and putting like God.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Best I've seen Rory in a while. Anybody seeing anything else is like the 2nd shot at 6.

Agree that the course entices them to take on what looks like crazy shots from a course management perspective . But these guys back themselves and are genuinely chasing eagles when they see that 85 % shot.

The likes of dj can hit stuff 250 yards + to 5 / 10 yards wide . It's impossible for us mere mortals to remind ourselves of that.

The drops are normally to a position these guys will get an up and down from anyway.

Even Molinari has made mistakes here . That's a fairly high standard from a course management perspective.

Rory well able to shoot lights out here.

I'm not sure if a factor . But Rory's caddy still very inexperienced around some courses (I'd imagine)

Best I've seen Rory in a while. Anybody seeing anything else is like the 2nd shot at 6.

Agree that the course entices them to take on what looks like crazy shots from a course management perspective . But these guys back themselves and are genuinely chasing eagles when they see that 85 % shot.

The likes of dj can hit stuff 250 yards + to 5 / 10 yards wide . It's impossible for us mere mortals to remind ourselves of that.

The drops are normally to a position these guys will get an up and down from anyway.

Even Molinari has made mistakes here . That's a fairly high standard from a course management perspective.

Rory well able to shoot lights out here.

I'm not sure if a factor . But Rory's caddy still very inexperienced around some courses (I'd imagine)
    That's an interesting point about Harry Diamond. But he seems to be involved in a lot of discussion with Rory before shots. A lot more than would have been seen with JP. Like on the 7th tee, quite a bit of back and forth before he took his shot. I suppose a good caddy should be able to get all he needs from practice rounds; a lot of them would be beginners along with their bosses. Like Austin Johnson or Michael Greller.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's an interesting point about Harry Diamond. But he seems to be involved in a lot of discussion with Rory before shots. A lot more than would have been seen with JP. Like on the 7th tee, quite a bit of back and forth before he took his shot. I suppose a good caddy should be able to get all he needs from practice rounds; a lot of them would be beginners along with their bosses. Like Austin Johnson or Michael Greller.

I do understand this.

And pre work can make up for it.

But a massive difference even the 2nd / 3rd time around a course in tournament conditions.

I still think early days for partnership . But seems like great signs there.

Speaking of caddies. Gotta love the quick reaction of Kessler Karain here. Chap knows what the boss needs immediately. :D

Was class hands him club so quickly. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory has played for the most part really well and put himself in a great position going into the weekend. The main issue for him is he hasn’t birdied any par 5 yet. 5 pars and that double bogey yesterday.

Will need to improve that to win I’d imagine.

Very interesting leaderboard and hopefully it all gets a little tighter going into Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Speaking of caddies. Gotta love the quick reaction of Kessler Karain here. Chap knows what the boss needs immediately. :D

Wasn't Mrs. Reed caddying previously?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wasn't Mrs. Reed caddying previously?
    Yeah. She dropped the bag when she was expecting their first kid and her brother took over. She was back on the bag quite recently, so maybe she's expecting again?

Rory has played for the most part really well and put himself in a great position going into the weekend. The main issue for him is he hasn’t birdied any par 5 yet. 5 pars and that double bogey yesterday.

Will need to improve that to win I’d imagine.

Very interesting leaderboard and hopefully it all gets a little tighter going into Sunday

With his recently improved wedge game they would seem like great birdie opportunities rather than trying and failing for eagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Everyone’s assuming the de facto lead is minus 7 , given the assumption that Woodland will fold .
    This is because he has been in similar positions in majors and pga events before and capitulated . Will be interesting to see if he has learnt from those experiences and can push on now I don’t expect him to win but wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs around the lead for longer than people think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

130-140 shots still to be hit; I wouldn't be making any predictions about anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

rooney30 wrote: »
    Everyone’s assuming the de facto lead is minus 7 , given the assumption that Woodland will fold .
    This is because he has been in similar positions in majors and pga events before and capitulated . Will be interesting to see if he has learnt from those experiences and can push on now I don’t expect him to win but wouldn’t be surprised if he hangs around the lead for longer than people think

Hes a punt for FRL but as you see seems to struggle to hold on to the lead down the stretch. Hes a bomber but like Koepka he's improved, currently sitting 25th in the world 4 Top 10s this year including the PGA.

I actually read quite a good article with him recently around variance week to week:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gary-woodland-wrestles-with-one-of-pro-golfers-biggest-headaches-the-week-to-week-variance-in-their-game

rooney30 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. :p

The lead is -9. If it's not Woodland, somebody else is almost sure to hit that number today. At least. I doubt any player is aiming for a lower number than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What time is koepka teeing off etoday and which group is he in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fifth last group at 10.01pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I was off work all last week because we were away and I’m seriously regretting not booking Monday off too

Advertisement