Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official 2019 US Open Thread - Pebble Beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rather watch Speith than Brooks. At least he has a bit of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭blackcard

AdamD wrote: »
    I like the way Speith gives a running commentary though he always seem to blame the elements, greens, his caddy, bad luck anything but himself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is it legal to shoot off the pavement the way kopecka did with his second shot from the 18th hole?

Would be entitled to relief, but under no obligation to take it, generally speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Like an Emily Dickinson poem:p

Or a rap of some sort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

AdamD wrote: »

no, as a golfer i find speith too awkward to watch, far from a natural swing,
    brooks all day long for me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

By the way Tiger has no chance here.
    The media attention is off the mark.

what a bizzare statement

callaway92 wrote: »
    haha what a bitch of a guy. He has always been like this in fairness... When things are going good, he's all smiles.. If not; he blames the crowd etc

I think people are being overly snippy about this. It's a professional game, his caddy gets paid a small fortune and maybe he entitled to pull him up if he feels he didn't give him accurate advice on club selection. Would a caddy at that level be expected to know his player's distances by club to the inch if struck properly?
    I thought it didn't even sound too bad, not exactly a rant.
    Not saying I'd agree with petulance on the course, but didn't sound like that to me. Speith of all players has always stressed the 'we' and spread the credit around when has won. I reckon he's entitled to tick his caddy off if he's not happy with something, without everyone jumping on him. It just that everything gets picked up now and amplified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I think people are being overly snippy about this. It's a professional game, his caddy gets paid a small fortune and maybe he entitled to pull him up if he feels he didn't give him accurate advice on club selection. Would a caddy at that level be expected to know his player's distances by club to the inch if struck properly?
    Not saying I'd agree with petulance on the course, but didn't sound like that to me. Speith of all players has always stressed the 'we' and spread the credit around when has won. I reckon he's entitled to tick his caddy off if he's not happy with something, without everyone jumping on him. It just that everything gets picked up now and amplified.

I tend to agree that Speith and others should be afforded the luxury of criticising their employees as can any other boss.

Obviously the issue which arises like any other workplace is whether the criticism is warranted or not. We've all experienced undue criticism in a workplace and conversely been given the benefit of the doubt when we should have been challenged.

Certain players appear more vocal about their critiques of their caddy but if it's a fair then they should go ahead.

Clearly caddies are worth a significant proportion of a players success otherwise they would not be given the remuneration that they are -except for Kuchar.

It's real time decisioning in a game of fine margins, if your employee isn't doing what you feel is most auspicious then calling them out is fair game.

Given the weather looks to be staying quite calm, will they look to firm & speed up the greens & throw out some horrible tucked pin positions to try control the scoring?

They reckon that today will be similar to yesterday so everything balances out with the draw. Late yesterday having same conditions early today and vice versa but they may toughen up a bit over the weekend then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm more astounded that the chap can't spell 'Ian' tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Funnily enough I dont remember Greller bringing up the 3 perfect yardages that Spieth dunked in the water at the Masters...while in the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

GreeBo wrote: »
    Funnily enough I dont remember Greller bringing up the 3 perfect yardages that Spieth dunked in the water at the Masters...while in the lead.

Wouldn't that be a hoot, if they had a stand up row - in public - about all the shots Speith screwed up?

'Don't be giving me that aul crap, what about the 12th at Augusta, ya b**lix'?
    'Perfect yardage, my hoop, tis a wonder you didn't sh*nk it.'
    'Here, you can carry your own bag, I'm off down the pub, you ungrateful little sh*t' .
    'Your ma'
    etc, etc

Cue applause from the crowd.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am liking the online coverage from the website. Loads of viewing options and ads only between holes, not every 15 minutes either. Decent commentary too. It's a pleasure to not be able to hear Paul McGinley droning away his excruciating diatribes. Also nice to not have to deal with those snoozefest Sky Sports guys who have the charisma of a 4 day old mackeral forgotten at the bottom of the fridge. Woeful the lot of them.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote:
    I suppose you preferred to watch Justin Leonard to Tiger Woods 15 years ago?

GreeBo wrote: »

Yeah, that would have been a good move for the caddie alright. Even if he was right. Maybe he should have given Speith a right old ticking off and threatened to sack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Molinari has been all over the shop his first 7 holes. Only one bogey though and has got up and down on every other hole!!

Tiger hitting it very good so far but putts haven’t dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Spieth over the back again, say some fun chats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

What do people think the winning score will be?

Something like -12 or -13?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah - 12 should be a good shout.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Hopefully lower, that's quite high for a US open. Hopefully will speed up the greens for the weekend, but not cause too many ridiculous bogeys

Mushy wrote: »
    Hopefully lower, that's quite high for a US open. Hopefully will speed up the greens for the weekend, but not cause too many ridiculous bogeys

Think the speed is ok. Need to harden up the greens though. Very receptive still and of course the lack of any wind is the main issue.

Think the speed is ok. Need to harden up the greens though. Very receptive still and of course the lack of any wind is the main issue.

Surely be some correlation between harder greens and faster ones? But yeah, agree with you anyway

Rose flying it now, going to be hard to catch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll guess -7.

Don't think I've seen Woods make a putt today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Lads, it's some incredible course. 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th are just WOW

Lads, it's some incredible course. 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th are just WOW

Yeah, pity the weather is a bit grim.

Would be great if the US open was held here every year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Fair to say Woods is out of contention now? Disappointing back 9.

66/1 with the bookies.

• Advertisement

I had no issues yesterday or earlier today using the featured groups on the app but now it’s geographically blocked.

Any ideas on how to get around this?? Might be my only way to watch the golf over the weekend is thru my phone

Advertisement