Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldur's Gate III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Same as that BG1 was my first real PC game I think. Remember buying it and it came in a massive box, still have it somewhere in a suit case of old games. PC I had would not run it so had to try to upgrade. Loved all the BG games along with the Icewind Dale games as well. Played through that Sword Coast Legends recently enough and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bg 1+2 and the icewind dale games are some of my all time favourite games, never played that sword coast legends, any good? ive been trying to replay bg2 before 3 releases but it aint happening :D its just too big with a 1 year old running riot in the house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A tad disappointed there's no crossplay co-op - would've liked to play on PC (feels like the natural home for this sort of thing), but have a few friends keen to play who are all on PS5 so will hold off and wait for that version instead.

I definitely enjoyed Sword Coast Legends, worth a play through. Reviews were mediocre at the time but I liked it enough to play it throug. Seem to recall something about it being removed from Steam, don't know if it can be got anymore.

Anyone pick up full release today? No way I'm paying €60 for it though, sort of game though that might not drop much in price.

• Advertisement

Bought it yesterday, can't wait to get into it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Picked it up in pre access, which I wouldn't usually do. You can see from their panel from hell videos that it was a labour of love for them, so was happy to support them.

one of the few reviewers i trust seems to love it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

General concensus is its another fantastic release from Larian. Can't wait to play.

Isn't this the exact kind of game we should be willing to pay €60 for? No microtransations, proper early access, really open comms from the developers etc...? I'd say we should be rewarding this kind of release, at least compared to how most games are these days.

I've not gotten it yet, but only cause i'm away this weekend. Monday off and plan to get stuck right into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I don't get the complaint about price. This one looks like a massive game with insane amounts of content.

• Advertisement

100%, great to see a fully released game with no bs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

bought it for the full whack in 2020, lashed a hundred hours into the first act on two different characters, i was so impressed back then, i gave up (same year)knowing that i'd make the first act stale for myself with the full release. Started again yesterday and already have 8 hours played on a human rogue, though i am glad i quit when i did in 2020. I'd strongly suggest paying the full whack for it if crpg's are your cuppa tae.

Larian did a f**kin great job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

Id love play but iv never played a larian or d & d so I would be lost id say

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You don't really need to know d&d, or have played other Larian games.

There's also an easy mode, where the rules don't matter much outside of "high numbers good".

If you like rpgs, you'll like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you can play a bioware or Bethesda game you'll be grand.

So much for not buying, installing at the moment. Off work for the next week so why not I suppose, Have played all the Baldurs Gate / Icewind Dale style games over the years and reviews of BG3 seem great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I played Divinity 2 on switch and while I enjoyed it a lot of it I couldn't really get on with the combat, not sure why but I seemed to have some sort of mental block and found it very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I can say as a die hard fan of the old ones that this is excellent. Strong Divinity OS 2 vibes - which is no bad thing either. I paid 60 for it in early access, never got into early access play - felt it went on far too long (3 years) - but they've delivered something very polished.

I spend 30 minutes trying to creature a new character before suddenly saying in going for a pint, i like it already before even starting, usually go for warrior think im going to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can multi class in this, somethings are like 0 level stuff so if you start with that class you get them but if you choose it later you won't. You need set stats to choose them, so the Fighter starting class could pick barbarian later. Multiclassing isn't always good as you might be better off going straight with a class, or getting end level stuff or subclasses by sticking with one.

You can also respec and change everything except race & background for 100 gold, you just need to find this guy at the very start once you're on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bought it on release. Started the game and in my first tough fight I thought it weird I only had 3 party members so I restarted.

turns out I completely missed someone by pure chance. That’s why I love Larian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

Kiith and retrogamer ye convinced me 😅 Will download it today . Might as well chance it especially when I have a steam deck .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Decided to take a punt on it as well, we should all team up and do some co-op.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Basically a boards DnD 🤣

Just met a certain red devil, I swear it was the best character animation/voice acting Ive seen in a game, simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just through a good chunk of goblin camp and just slowly sniping of goblins with sneak attacks etc. One thing I love about it is the different way to go through encounters, you can go straight in and fight or just sneakily try pick off as many enemies before they initiate combat is cool. Karlach is crazy overpowered for me, the ring of throwing and Tavern brawler feat at level 4 combined with throwing the returning pike is a lot of fun one shotting enemies or taking a big chunk of health from bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Never played the predecessors but the review in the Guardian has piqued my interest. Would this be something like Witcher 3 or similar?

More like dragon age or mass effect with character interactions, combat is a bit more like XCOM in that it's turn based.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Never played any of the previous games either and decided to take a punt on it and I'm really enjoying it. Only other game I can think of that is similar to this that I've played is wasteland 3 which I really enjoyed. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and its been fine so far, very easy to miss things though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I find myself watching YT videos about it even though I'm not a fan of turn based combat and don't know much about D&D (bought Divinity 2 but never got around to playing it). But I think I'll still pick this up once they release a patch that supports FSR 2 (supposedly coming next month).

Advertisement