Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldur's Gate III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone get an incompatible version error on the save games today?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Best RPG of all time according to PCGamer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I've played most of Larian's games and thoroughly enjoyed them and will certainly get around to this eventually. I'm sure it is an excellent game but good lord journalists need to get a grip. Only time (and a lot of it) determines what can be called one of the best games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You'd have to wait until the end of time to decide what the best games of all time are. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Except Super Metroid, which is unarguably the greatest game of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is there a demo for this? My CPU is pretty ancient (i5 3570k)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I agree. Gothic 2 is clearly the greatest game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not a fan of turn based, but even my interest is piqued here. Hopefully there's a demo on PS5 and I'll give it a whirl.

I know before release I was very reluctant to pay €60 for the game but after putting in a about 25 hours and still being on the first act, Baldurs Gate 3 is very impressive if you are a fan of the genre... Best game I've played in along time, I'm totally hooked on it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I love this game, I managed to break into a basement, 5 mins rummage around i reckon. Turns out i found a way into a massive underground section. I've been there for 6 hours.

10/10

I do have a problem with save scumming tho. Need to try and stop myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, I can't help but scum save.

Its saved my ass so many times.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

This game is excellent, but the things people have being saying about questlines setting up a spaghetti hell of bugs and broken interactions in act 3 has me putting my playthrough on hiatus for at least a few months I'd say

Just takes me out of it, thinking that doing quests now is going to set up a bedrock of bullcrap that causes the backside to fall out of the end of it later on

Definitive Edition will be ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BG3 coming to Xbox this year after all. They've had to get rid of splitscreen co-op for the Series S which seems to have been what was holding it back.

10/10 reviews all round for BG3, still an act 1 after about 30 hours, im never actually going to the city of Baldurs Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McFly85

The correct call in fairness. Split screen co op is nice to have but shouldn’t be at the expense of the whole release.

I wonder if we’ll see more of these parity exceptions as the generation goes on. With BG3 being a massive hit, MS policy on the series S essentially gave Sony a free timed exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I feel like splitscreen co-op is pretty niche as a feature even now and most people won't use it, so makes sense to scrap it in order to release

• Registered Users Posts: 45,020 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

100% agree. but it is interesting none the less.

Xbox have previously been fairly strong on parity between X and S, and were strong on that messaging when selling the S. They were clear there would be visual differences - resolution, FPS, Ray Tracing being the tradeoffs for the lower cost entry point. Spencer quoted yesterday (or day before) saying differences between the consoles aren't new, I think in either reaction to this news or to get out ahead of it - and that first party titles have had differences, but he used Ray Tracing as the example. To me, ray tracing and split screen are completely different types of feature. One is gameplay, and it is far harder to accept a gameplay feature difference, given their previous messaging.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is the right call. It would be insane for Xbox to miss out on Baldurs Gate 3 on both consoles cause SplitScreen is proving difficult on the S. If given the choice I would assume 100% of S players would say 'give us the option to play BG3 without split screen rather than not at all', but where do Xbox draw the line now? What are acceptable features to drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's unfortunate but somewhat inevitable that disparity in features beyond resolution/framerate are required between the Series S and X. The Series S is a great machine by all accounts, but it was always going to become the bottleneck for this gen, and there have been previous reports of developers not being happy with the Series S and trying to get that uniformity between it and the Series X.

So it does become the question of what do or don't Xbox allow? They seem to have been pushing for that parity in BG3 until the game suddenly became a huge success and they realised they needed to get it out on Xbox as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think they need to accept that there may be some instances for third party games where there may not be feature parity(I think first party should still strive to offer this).

It looks unlikely that there’ll be a mid-gen refresh from MS, asking devs to develop to 3 different specs seems a bit much. But we will probably see a PS5 pro, so as devs start to develop for increased specs there’s a chance that there’ll be more challenges developing for the S - better to allow features to be excluded than be continually releasing games after the PS5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Can be a slippery slope. Series S makes up a large enough portion of the xbox playerbase so Microsoft rowing back a lot on feature parity would be a disaster for them I think. I've a Series S and I don't mind lower graphics or maybe niche features like split screen co-op being removed but if larger items started getting dropped for Series S, that would be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Where can I preorder this for ps5? None of the usuals seem to have it available and I don't buy games digitally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game is only being released digitally, at least for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Time wise I doubt many will play much splitscreen but being able to just drop into a game and join someone on the couch is a great feature for how social D&D is.

However minor this disparity between X & S version is, it's only going to get worse as devs try to get more out of the systems and the likely release of a PRO / X^2 mid gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very much think this will be an exception. The original was made with PC as the only platform which is very rare these days. Most games will enter development for all hardware so will take into account the S.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

I’m about 20 hours in and I think it’s really good.

I've never played the series.

The voice acting is excellent.

It's available for predownload now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm glad i'm planning to wait to dive into this, due to a lack of time. Act 3 seems like it needs a bit of work, which is already happening with the latest patches, and will continue over the next few weeks i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Patch 2 out too.

Can play a mp game and then not be stuck with coop players character in your party, can go back to SP and then MP again later. So no negative for starting with a MP game.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to play it immediately as there will undoubtedly be bugs but I recently picked up Diablo 4 so will bang away at that for a couple of weeks til a few updates / patches come through.

Advertisement