Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is America treating the UK like a colony?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A beggared UK is not exactly good news for Ireland by the way.

No it's not. It's not good news for anyone.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the sweet fcuk Trump was on about when he said the NHS was 'on the table' when it comes to Brexit negotiations??? :confused:

Everyone over here is getting angry about it. Ironically even people who support Farage who previously talked about privatising the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

dd973 wrote: »
    If I was English I'd be praying for The Scots to go independent so Trident, the Monarchy and the Butcher's Apron could be ditched.

That ship has sailed. If the Scots were going to go it alone, the optimal time was when the referendum occurred.
    Even this is another brexit contradiction.
    * They will pay WTO tarrifs if they are not in a customs union with the EU. However,
    *They can't not be in a customs union of some sort without a barrier in the north.
    *Congress/US senate have stated they will not pass a trade deal if there is "damage" to the GFA.
    *Brexit damages the GFA.

You cannot win with brexit even the best possible outcome is horrendous.

Trump is offering a trade deal with the UK and Trump will do a trade deal with the UK. If you think the GFA is going to stop the US from signing a big juicy deal, which puts America First, then you are bonkers.
    Can anyone tell me what the sweet fcuk Trump was on about when he said the NHS was 'on the table' when it comes to Brexit negotiations??? :confused:

The NHS is a big juicy carrot on so many fronts. He could bring it to the US franchise style or US firms could get a monopoly when it comes to providing services to it. The latter would bring an awful lot of big firms and jobs back to the US.
    A beggared UK is not exactly good news for Ireland by the way.

The EU has their backs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

You can't blame the USA for treating them like a colony, when they are constantly acting colony.

Which is to say alot of **** goes on there.

Hobosan wrote: »
    You can't blame the USA for treating them like a colony, when they are constantly acting colony.

Which is to say alot of **** goes on there.

Do you understand what the word 'colony' means?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

The UK treats itself as a colony they have hitched themselves to the US a long time ago. I wonder if we ever populate another planet will they over time consider themselves Martians (for example) and then return to rule us, which is similar to what the US has done

Berserker wrote: »
    Do you understand what the word 'colony' means?

The president of America came to visit the UK yesterday and called an elected official a "stone cold loser", previously insulted a member of the royal family, talked about the NHS as being "up for grabs" and gets involved in the UK's election of a prime minister. They may not be a colony but they're being treated like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The only leverage they have is their military.

Unemployment is the lowest it has been in years in the states. The new trade war with China will favour America in the end. Times are a changin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

steddyeddy wrote: »
    . The following countries are the only ones that exist solely on WTO rules:

The UK will not be existing SOLELY on W T O rules. It has deals already lined up with some countries. And with other countries, nothing wrong with WT O rules. A lot of trade is done that way already

The president of America came to visit the UK yesterday and called an elected official a "stone cold loser", previously insulted a member of the royal family, talked about the NHS as being "up for grabs" and gets involved in the UK's election of a prime minister. They may not be a colony but they're being treated like one.

And what about the countless positive things he said about the people, the Royal family, the relationship the US has with the UK, the military ..... ? How many times did he refer to the UK as their (US) closest ally, to the nearest hundred? Nothing wrong with trading on WTO rules, fyi, plenty of trade is done on those terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The NHS is a big juicy carrot on so many fronts. He could bring it to the US franchise style or US firms could get a monopoly when it comes to providing services to it. The latter would bring an awful lot of big firms and jobs back to the US.
    Eh no, its not about creating a monopoly, and its not about dismantling the NHS.

Currently the big German pharma and medicare corporations have free trade access to supply the UK's NHS.
    US pharma does not (unless they have set up plants in Ireland)
    That whole situation could potentially reverse, post-Brexit. If that happened, it would probably have more effect on Ireland than on the NHS patients.
    I think the Irish manufacturing plants would remain open though, because they would still service the vast EU market outside of the UK.

recedite wrote: »
    Eh no, its not about creating a monopoly, and its not about dismantling the NHS.

Currently the big German pharma and medicare corporations have free trade access to supply the UK's NHS.
    US pharma does not (unless they have set up plants in Ireland)
    That whole situation could potentially reverse, post-Brexit. If that happened, it would probably have more effect on Ireland than on the NHS patients.

I never made any comment on NHS patients, dismantling the NHS and your post above would create a monopoly for the US firms. They'll get their medication etc from the US. As for the negative effect that would have on Ireland, people here are more than happy to suffer that lose, it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Unemployment is the lowest it has been in years in the states. The new trade war with China will favour America in the end. Times are a changin'.

Hahaha excellent, more share buyback schemes, should sort out those good ould folks in the rust belt! Ffs!

That ship has sailed. If the Scots were going to go it alone, the optimal time was when the referendum occurred.

The last referendum threatened Scotland with being out of the EU. Now look what happened.
    Trump is offering a trade deal with the UK and Trump will do a trade deal with the UK. If you think the GFA is going to stop the US from signing a big juicy deal, which puts America First, then you are bonkers.

Yes Trump will offer the UK a trade deal. Any trade deal will put America first. It's dealing with a much much less powerful UK now and can act as the rule giver.

He's already said the NHS is on the table. I just live over here and that's not acceptable to me.

You're misunderstanding how a trade deal works. A trade deal isn't something signed by Trump and that's the end of it. It goes through Congress. It takes a very long time and often doesn't get through. Nancy Pelosi, house speaker had this to say:
    Nancy Pelosi has said there will be no chance of a US trade deal with the UK if the Good Friday Agreement is undermined by Brexit.

Speaking at the London School of Economics, the speaker of the US House of Representatives warned a future trading arrangement between the two countries is not guaranteed, and said it would not happen if the UK’s exit from the European Union violates the terms of the 1998 peace accord.

Ms Pelosi said: “First of all it is very hard to pass a trade bill in the Congress of the United States, so there’s no given anyway. But if there were any weakening of the Good Friday accords there would be no chance whatsoever, a non-starter for a US-UK trade agreement.

So it doesn't look good. Combined with Trump's links to Sinn Feinn I wouldn't be too keen to trust him if I were British.

It would indeed. At the huge expense of the UK. It seems that in your mind you're seeing this as a partnership between the UK and US. It's nothing of the sort.

The EU has their backs. :D

Yes they have actually and they're not even demanding a change to our health service. Not that I'd mind as it's sh1t.

And what about the countless positive things he said about the people, the Royal family, the relationship the US has with the UK, the military ..... ? How many times did he refer to the UK as their (US) closest ally, to the nearest hundred? Nothing wrong with trading on WTO rules, fyi, plenty of trade is done on those terms.

He did indeed but he also raised money for Sinn Fein before the London terror attack. I wouldn't believe much of what he says. He's a loon.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/donald-trump-ireland-sinn-fein-terrorism

janfebmar wrote: »
    The UK will not be existing SOLELY on W T O rules. It has deals already lined up with some countries. And with other countries, nothing wrong with WT O rules. A lot of trade is done that way already

Which countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Your government are lying to you mate...they havnt any trade deals lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

_blaaz wrote: »
    Your government are lying to you mate...they haven't any trade deals lined up
    I think they have 10 but none which immediately scream bright future. Chile, Norway and Iceland are three of them and they get even less exciting after that. They currently have 40 as members of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Slurp slurp get that soup in

Thanks for your intelligent contribution but we didn't need to partake of the soup. :D

Trump and the USA also advised the UK to go for a no deal Brexit and to "throw off the shackles of EU membership".

He would say that, wouldn't he. Absolutely hilarious - or frightening - how egregiously obtuse Brexiteers are. Uncle Sam is there to help you, your friend in times of trouble. Not there at all to feed on the carcass of a state whose politicians have burnt all bridges and which is accordingly desperate for a deal, any deal. My 2-year-old would produce a better hand in negotiations than this.

If Brexiteers like you even knew your own history you might notice that big massive elephant in the room that is 20th century British history: the US using WWI and WW II to overthrow the British Empire and become the dominant world power with Britain ending each war in massive debt to the US. They're now going to genuinely help you?

So, so, so much astonishing stupidity at every single corner of Brexit. It's relentless. Poor, poor Ken Clarke is about the only honourable person left over there to speak out, and that lack of courage from the political representatives of educated and cultured English people is, for me, by far the most shocking thing of all about Brexit. We always knew the parasitic toffs and ignorant plebs existed, but we were all very wrong when we assumed, or rather surmised, that reasonable and more intelligent people outnumbered them.

• Advertisement

Window dressing in front of the media assembly.

And the negative remarks are the world's biggest attention seeker attention seeking?
    The last referendum threatened Scotland with being out of the EU. Now look what happened.

And there was loads of debate about that. Those in favour of independence claimed they would not have to apply for membership. No debate on the matter if another referendum comes around. All of the those 'maybe' voters who swung to a 'Yes' will vote 'No' if another referendum happens.
    You're misunderstanding how a trade deal works. A trade deal isn't something signed by Trump and that's the end of it. It goes through Congress. It takes a very long time and often doesn't get through. Nancy Pelosi, house speaker had this to say:

You're misunderstanding how Trump and the US works. I lived and worked in the US for many years, in finance. I've dealt will bullies like him. If a deal works for the US, it will go through. It's all about the dollar.
    So it doesn't look good. Combined with Trump's links to Sinn Feinn I wouldn't be too keen to trust him if I were British.

I'm well aware of his links to SF and his friendship with Gerry Adams. Trump flips and flops and seeks attentions. Ditto for SF. Cut from the same cloth. Trump is friends with any number of organisations around the world. Wouldn't worry about that.
    It seems that in your mind you're seeing this as a partnership between the UK and US. It's nothing of the sort.

It is a partnership. If a war breaks out tomorrow and the US is looking for people to join them, who will be their first point of call? Trump and the US will give Europe the two fingers, put America first and strike a deal. That's what's going to happen. Totally agree with you about him being a loon, fyi. God only knows what he's likely to come out when while he's in Ireland! Attention seeking lunatic.

It is a partnership. If a war breaks out tomorrow and the US is looking for people to join them, who will be their first point of call?

And if a war breaks out and Britain needs the US to help them? You remember, war breaking out in 1914 and the US comes straight to the rescue in... 1917, or war breaking out in 1939 and the US comes straight to the rescue in... 1942. It will be different this time, of course!

And there was loads of debate about that. Those in favour of independence claimed they would not have to apply for membership. No debate on the matter if another referendum comes around. All of the those 'maybe' voters who swung to a 'Yes' will vote 'No' if another referendum happens.

Well it's up to the Scots at the end of the day.

You're misunderstanding how Trump and the US works. I lived and worked in the US for many years, in finance. I've dealt will bullies like him. If a deal works for the US, it will go through. It's all about the dollar.

I work for the US Dept Of Energy. He tried to cut the budget of NREL, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory where I research by 80%. We proposed 50%, when it got through Congress it was less than a 20% cut.

It's not about what Trump wants. It's about what Congress wants.
    I'm well aware of his links to SF and his friendship with Gerry Adams. Trump flips and flops and seeks attentions. Ditto for SF. Cut from the same cloth. Trump is friends with any number of organisations around the world. Wouldn't worry about that.

But you take his word in relation to the UK stuff? I don't attend SF rallies but If I did would you think I was pro-UK.
    It is a partnership. If a war breaks out tomorrow and the US is looking for people to join them, who will be their first point of call?
    Trump and the US will give Europe the two fingers, put America first and strike a deal. That's what's going to happen. Totally agree with you about him being a loon, fyi. God only knows what he's likely to come out when while he's in Ireland! Attention seeking lunatic.

It sounds like you're an American from what you're telling me. You're misinterpreting the mindset of British/English people. They don't like sending over their troops to die in your wars and they also value their NHS above pretty much anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

The only leverage they have is their military.

China owns the US as regards foreign debt, ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The US want the UK health system to be privatized, allowing them to invest in it and take it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

RustyNut wrote: »
    481945.jpg.

It would be accurate if the star were attached with with a string to the end of the flag as their status is absolutely not going to be remotely similar to a US state, whereas they were a full EU member with a ton of exceptional opt-outs and special arrangements that could have been argued to have been a rather privileged position.

Anyone who keeps having to go on and on about their special relationship is weak. The US isn't even aware it has a special relationship as it's for the most part only vaguely aware of the UK as it's not dependent on it. It's just some place over there where Mary Poppins lives and some bands with funny accents came from and that they seem to think also has notoriously bad teeth for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The NHS budget is about 130 billion quid this year, the Yanks want as much of that money being spent in medical facilities they own and run as possible be it a hospital, research, geriatric care or an ambulance service - call

1d3d1ac07a7fa47108fdd7abc8824d2d.jpg

I don't get Brexit or the mindset behind it. How can Brexit be patriotic if it involves selling off the country's national health service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I don't get Brexit or the mindset behind it. How can Brexit be patriotic if it involves selling off the country's national health service?

It's pseudopatriotic neoliberalism. They're just wrapping a layer of patriotism around deregulation and removing the safety systems of a free-market-social-democracy.

Stick a Union Jack on it, salute it and call anyone who disagree with you a traitor. Oldest trick in the book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's sad to read so much 'chip on shoulder', anti-British ****e on this thread given the way Ireland has long since become the 51st state of the USA in all but name. This neutral State has allowed the USA to operate its military adventures through Shannon Airport for decades.

The country has no air defence against the Russians or anybody else bar what the British provides. In the event that the country was ever threatened by anybody where would Ireland turn to.....the wicked Brits. Irish people need to grow up - a majority of British people voted for Brexit for a wide variety of reasons and it's going to happen.

Why the **** would we need air defence against the Russians?

Absolutely bizarre post.

Advertisement