Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is America treating the UK like a colony?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump says the NHS is on the table regarding any post Brexit deal. That'll really finish off the UK.
    Mind the FF/FG dirt would love to privatise health.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump says the NHS is on the table regarding any post Brexit deal. That'll really finish off the UK.

Not a chance will he or anyone else get near the NHS, People have no idea how the NHS is loved in the UK. Any politician who tries to close it or sell it off to private companies would be signing the death warrant of their party forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,479 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think you sign trade deals with a colony... you don't really need to, implicitly.
    The UK has been a client state of the US since Suez.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He won't walk over us as much as he won't want to upset Irish Americans, and has no real interest in us economically. He wants a no deal Brexit and an economic takeover of the British. They are bending over backwards for him to be come a vassal state of the US.

He doesn't respect the UK, with in their half-in, half-out fudging position and comments from Khan clearly nettled him.

Won't be quite as bad here as our govt are compliant lickspittles, everyone is coached on what or what not to say and any protestors won't be let within a donkey's roar of Trump. I'd be surprised if he bothered with a meet and greet of the plain people of Doonbeg.
    The Irish American lobby aren't as powerful as they once were, happy out with their green beer and sentimental shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Any of our private hospitals are 10 times better than the HSE ones!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

RustyNut wrote: »
    481945.jpg.

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any of our private hospitals are 10 times better than the HSE ones!

There's hospitals in the developing world better than HSE ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Granted he's the president but so far he's insulted the Mayor of London by calling him a looser..
    You forgot to mention that the Mayor insulted the President first, by tweeting that he was a fascist, facilitating protests, and authorising that stupid blimp.
    Not a great way to treat a guest.

London mayor hits out at US president before his state visit to Britain...
    But what would you expect from this sad loser.

The Donald was welcomed in the UK by those who matter, and he will also get a great welcome in Co. Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Not a chance will he or anyone else get near the NHS, People have no idea how the NHS is loved in the UK. Any politician who tries to close it or sell it off to private companies would be signing the death warrant of their party forever.

The general public don't realize how much up against the wall the UK. Can you imagine if they can't make a trade deal with the EU OR the US?

I think the UK govt has accepted they will have to pay tariffs long term on EU trade.

recedite wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that the Mayor insulted the President first, by tweeting that he was a fascist, facilitating protests, and authorising that stupid blimp.

The Donald was welcomed in the UK by those who matter, and he will also get a great welcome in Co. Clare.
    And you obviously.

• Advertisement

Only the elite establishment in the UK welcome Trump.

Normal people know he will rob them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

B0jangles wrote: »
    The UK is in a horrible, horrible negotiating position as a result of the Brexit vote - they have to somehow hammer out dozens of trade deals with dozens of countries who can all afford to let them sit and sweat because the Brexit clock is always ticking down to a chaotic crashout - it's a huge firesale of British national and business interests, and the bargain-hunters are willing to wait until the EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! signs go up

The government are having to try to maintain the traditional Tory party smirk and uplifted chin of innate superiority while their heads are jammed so far up Trump's behind only the shoulders are visible.

It's a disgrace what they are inflicting on the people of Britain, an absolute disgrace.

I completely agree. I think the Tory party will appear in the history books as the party that broke up the UK, destroyed its economy and reduced it to a vassal state. I can't see the brexiters taking credit for this so they'll blame whoever they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

And so he should. I'd say if you asked the majority of anti-Trump supporters why they dislike Trump that they wouldn't really have a clue. They only do what the media tell them to do. Trump himself has never done anything bad to this country and as President of America he should certainly get a good welcome just like every other President before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I completely agree. I think the Tory party will appear in the history books as the party that broke up the UK, destroyed its economy and reduced it to a vassal state. I can't see the brexiters taking credit for this so they'll blame whoever they can.

Yeah, but they expect to be right in there at the trough buying up all those lovely, cheap British assets. It's not the senior tories who'll be eating chlorinated chicken, that stuff's strictly for the plebs, but you know that the Tories/Brexiters will still somehow turn around and blame the E.U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly. Khan using cheap publicity to get away from the rising acid attacks, knife attacks and terrorist attacks that have blighted London under his reign. But I’m sure that’s just part of living in a big city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭threeball

Its quite satisfying to watch them all smirk and grovel as he insults and belittles them. They've done it to other countries for centuries, but now they're fcuked and need a trade deal with the US at all costs. Trump knows this and will offer them a steaming pile on a platter then sit down and watch them eat it.

The once great empire reduced to a snivelling beggar state willing to bend over for this narcissistic simpleton for fear they remove another economic option off the table. Trump is also alienating the EU, China and Japan so their own star is going to lose some shimmer pretty soon too.

I live here and he wasn't welcomed by ordinary people. Most people were ashamed that their politicians were pandering to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't recall what bus it was on that US corporations were going to have rich pickings on the NHS.

I live here and I agree with you about the NHS, but I don't think people will see the signs that it's going to be sold off. The elites in the Tory party hardly have the county's best interest at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's sad to read so much 'chip on shoulder', anti-British ****e on this thread given the way Ireland has long since become the 51st state of the USA in all but name. This neutral State has allowed the USA to operate its military adventures through Shannon Airport for decades.

The country has no air defence against the Russians or anybody else bar what the British provides. In the event that the country was ever threatened by anybody where would Ireland turn to.....the wicked Brits. Irish people need to grow up - a majority of British people voted for Brexit for a wide variety of reasons and it's going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's sad to read so much 'chip on shoulder', anti-British ****e on this thread given the way Ireland has long since become the 51st state of the USA in all but name. This neutral State has allowed the USA to operate its military adventures through Shannon Airport for decades.

The country has no air defence against the Russians or anybody else bar what the British provides. In the event that the country was ever threatened by anybody where would Ireland turn to.....the wicked Brits. Irish people need to grow up - a majority of British people voted for Brexit for a wide variety of reasons and it's going to happen.

I'd take my chances with any other country than the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I don't think people have a problem with the ordinary british person , it's more the Tory hierarchy and the right wing media in britain who've show nothing but contempt for this country over the years.

Also we don't have delusions about our place in the world like the British establishment do, it's always enjoyable to see extreme arrogance get it comeuppance in any walk of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

It's sad to read so much 'chip on shoulder',

Real sign of cnut, using that phrase, "chip on your shoulder". Bit like Eire [sic]

I genuinely don't believe British people know what it actually means.

It always comes out when there is reasoned criticism of Britain.

It's as if you have a.... chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,479 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think people have a problem with the ordinary british person , it's more the Tory hierarchy and the right wing media in britain who've show nothing but contempt for this country over the years.

Also we don't have delusions about our place in the world like the British establishment do, it's always enjoyable to see extreme arrogance get it comeuppance in any walk of life.

Oh jeez of course we do. Enda Kenny and his delusions about being in the heart of the EU.
    Chasing votes for seats at the UN.
    Our skibbereen eagle stance on many issues.
    Maybe all countries have their own particular delusions... or over optimism.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So, that'd be the American military adventures Britain supported.

If we were threatened by Russia, Britain would be about as useful as the Isle of Man.

They weren't much use against armed people in the North after all.

This is beside the fact that Brexiters are pro Russian del. Monte....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Naturally enough Mexico and Canada both have much more trade with America than the UK does. Neither is a colony of America. Despite there being no free trade agreement between America and the EU, UK trade with America is substantial. It will likely continue at much the same level both ways if Brexit happens.

Trump will be gone in a few years, if not sooner. The next President will treat them much the same, just as the last few have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So, that'd be the American military adventures Britain supported.

If we were threatened by Russia, Britain would be about as useful as the Isle of Man.

They weren't much use against armed people in the North after all.

This is beside the fact that Brexiters are pro Russian del. Monte....

Oh dear, I'm out as I can't be bothered to argue with such rubbish - the first two points are bad enough but stating that Brexiters are pro Russian.....I suppose you will be down at Doonbeg waving the red white and blue for your leader. Night now. :rolleyes:

In the event that the country was ever threatened by anybody where would Ireland turn to.....the wicked Brits.

If course we would turn to the wicked Brits..... sure wouldn't they be ones threatening us? 😊

That's how defence and retaliation usually works afaik

Their already starting with contracting out to Branson in my opinion. The ordinary person might love the NHS but the Tories etc have had their knives out for it for a long time. Look at how they demonised the doctors looking for better working conditions through the press.

• Advertisement

I suppose you will be down at Doonbeg waving the red white and blue for your leader.

Emmmm. No

I don't think you've been following the news these last few years if you think someone accusing Russia in involvement in Brexit would also be pro-Trump

Advertisement