Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Beaks and feet minced and whatever else is swept off the floor

tenor.gif?itemid=4404779

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A chicken roll to cure a hangover!!!! And they're delicious too!!!

Ah you're a right mad yoke so you are!!!

Best ever hangover baguette is one with mayonnaise, chips and rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I’ve heard them called chicken fillet rolls far more frequently.

But the point is that the price would have been displayed at the deli area, expensive or not. Why did he only know the price at the till?

Prices are not necessarily displayed.the idea of a deli is that it is quick. Over six quid for the cheapest bread going, a few cents worth of coleslaw and cheese and a thirty cent bit of soggy Chinese mystery meat is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Neyite wrote: »
    Best ever hangover baguette is one with mayonnaise, chips and rashers.

It's the breakfast roll for hangovers.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's the breakfast roll for hangovers.

The best hangover cure is a can of cider, then a breakfast roll washed down with another can of cider and then hit the pub and creamy pints of Guinness for a few hours followed by a hot chicken roll packed with nearly every salad available and back to the pub after :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Prices are not necessarily displayed.the idea of a deli is that it is quick. Over six quid for the cheapest bread going, a few cents worth of coleslaw and cheese and a thirty cent bit of soggy Chinese mystery meat is excessive.

I’ve never seen a deli counter without a price list. I think prices are required to be provided. I don’t understand your point about how quick it is. How long does it take to cast your eye over the price list? Chippers are quick too. The pricing is excessive but the consumer can decide whether it’s too much or not. I guess the OP did this but it would have been better to decide that before getting the roll made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Dude, you've been consistently moaning throughout the thread, whereas most others are having the banter and enjoying the light hearted nature of it. Seems you are the one with the issue here.

> a thread started about an incident that 100% definitely happened in the centra spar in Capel Baggott Street Upper (that if it had in fact happened as described I'm almost sure would have been breaking some law)

> "I need chicken rolls for my hangover cos I'm such a mad yoke so I am"

> I know where you can get a chicken roll with a can for half that price

> God be the days when I was a young lad back in 2016 and we could buy chicken rolls for €2

> Eww lads ye know they could be made of anything but chicken right?

> I'm telling ye now lads there's a big recession on the way when you see chicken rolls at them prices.

> pics of Fr Ted

#BANTZZZZZZ

The best hangover cure is a can of cider, then a breakfast roll washed down with another can of cider and then hit the pub and creamy pints of Guinness for a few hours followed by a hot chicken roll packed with nearly every salad available and back to the pub after :D

Mad yoke alert!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Mad yoke alert!!!

Would you ever stop checking the thread so you can keep summarising it for the rest of us? We can all read.

This thread is like one of those inane rants that used to kick off in the house I stayed in during college about whether chef was better than heinz or Lyons was better than Barrys.

It takes a certain strand of person to get their back up so much about something so trivial.
    I disagree. This is my money, and I don't know about you, but I take my money pretty seriously. I didn't pick it up off the ground.

If there's one thing that gets *my* goat, it's an Irish (sorry, but it does seem very typical in our country) ambivalence towards money, as though complaining about overcharging is somehow crass or indicative of poverty. Case in point, someone earlier in the thread said that I was "uncouth".

Personally, I think it's crass to overspend money that you've earned, be that one single euro or one hundred euro. I'll be damned if I'm going to meekishly pay an arbitrary, nonsense price for a chicken fillet roll, even if it is utterly delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A disgusting meal. How anyone would readily eat such swill is beyond me. A baton of something that they call a baguette, that grated cheese that is covered in starch, industrially produced coleslaw that resembles baby vomit, and that breaded chicken that is produced in some former cat food factory in Eastern Thailand.

No wonder the Irish have such problems with obesity.

Tell me about Germany Aongus and let me dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

And they are delicious!

I reckon I've had them for lunch three days per week on average for the last 15 years or so :pac:, there have been many hungover or on the beer days where I've had two :D

Might be time for an oul angiogram.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

magentis wrote: »
    Tell me about Germany Aongus and let me dream.

There chicken fillet rolls are more efficient!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There chicken fillet rolls are more efficient!

Quicker to work their way through your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

If there's one thing that gets *my* goat, it's an Irish (sorry, but it does seem very typical in our country) ambivalence towards money, as though complaining about overcharging is somehow crass or indicative of poverty. Case in point, someone earlier in the thread said that I was "uncouth".

Not wishing to overspend is fine, chucking down food you ordered but no longer want due to the price in a "I'm not paying for that" manner is crass. No room for recourse or maybe seeing if they made a mistake or finding out how they worked it out, nah, throw it out.

It has nothing to do with how wealthy you are. It's fairly juvenile petulance, especially as it has been mentioned that similar food combos will cost a similar price and probably more expensive from other outlets. If you're that picky about price, which is a valid policy to follow, then be sure to check this out when you're ordering. Basically follow an adult policy of caveat emptor.

I disagree. This is my money, and I don't know about you, but I take my money pretty seriously. I didn't pick it up off the ground.

Personally, I think it's crass to overspend money that you've earned, be that one single euro or one hundred euro. I'll be damned if I'm going to meekishly pay an arbitrary, nonsense price for a chicken fillet roll, even if it is utterly delicious.

Ya but this didn't really happen though did it?

If the thread was simply something along the lines of "chicken fillet rolls - pros and cons" I'd have just said fair enough.

#BANTZZZZZZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This seems a highly emotive issue for you.

This seems a highly emotive issue for you.

Is LOLing my arse off an emotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

pics of Fr Ted

#BANTZZZZZZ

I hate to kill a decent Edgelord buzz an' all an' anyway, but that picture of Dermot Morgan I posted is of him in character as "Harty", a mad Fianna Fail type who would come rampaging onto the set of The Live Mike many years ago and smash the place up with a hurley while ranting about the homosexual tractors or whatever was bothering him. Not Fr. Ted.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    I hate to kill a decent Edgelord buzz an' all an' anyway, but that picture of Dermot Morgan I posted is of him in character as "Harty", a mad Fianna Fail type who would come rampaging onto the set of The Live Mike many years ago and smash the place up with a hurley while ranting about the homosexual tractors or whatever was bothering him. Not Fr. Ted.

Classic :pac:

magentis wrote: »
    Might be time for an oul angiogram.

Had a full medical last year through work, everything was A1 so no changing my my fondness for stout or hot chicken rolls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I haven’t eaten one in a few years but this thread is giving me cravings. Time to sort that out tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The price list will be displayed at the deli. Which makes sense so that people can decide whether they agree with the prices before having something made up.

I was in SuperValu for lunch today and decided to check this out. No prices on the board for rolls of any kind.

I was in SuperValu for lunch today and decided to check this out. No prices on the board for rolls of any kind.

Enough 😡

sugarman wrote: »
    It's still the same meat used in the more expensive rolls today, just a bigger mark up like everything else!

Sure my local butcher does 10 fresh mini fillets of breast for €4. 2 of them would probably make up the size of a fried deli fillet. So 80c a fillet say at consumer prices. Wholesale is probably half that ...and that's 100% Irish chicken breast farmed locally.

A deli fillet from Spar or Centra is probably costing them next to nothing made from processed meat. Even when they were at €2 a roll they're probably doubling their profits. Now making 3 or 4 times that per roll.
    Im not sure how true this is for Ireland, but I've read elsewhere that stores use chicken that is due to expire for their deli counters. This may only apply to larger stores and not convenience stores, though.

The same apparently applies to rotisserie chicken in the likes of Super Valu, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

11:50 for two sandwiches takeaway on plain Brennan’s white bread with cheap ham and pre grated cheese.

Told the bar man I was going to a hospital to see my mom and dad and didn’t want to buy garrage rubbish at night

Was expecting something a bit more than the way over priced plain sh1t I got.

11:50 FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

To be honest its very hard to get a decent lunch anywhere outside Ireland

Still laughing at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're a great little earner for garages and cornershops.

Unreal markup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Ya but this didn't really happen though did it?

If the thread was simply something along the lines of "chicken fillet rolls - pros and cons" I'd have just said fair enough.

So if you approach the counter with something you must pay for it?

Mother Ireland is rearing them yet.

I don’t mind people who admit to being too sheepish to complain, that’s probably me, but the idea that you have to buy something regardless of the price or you are a “thief” is evidently thick.

Advertisement