Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Coleslaw, bloody coleslaw on a hot chicken fillet roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In fairness the prices displayed are normally for a roll with very basic fillings, I’d always add 5 or 6 fillings along with the hot chicken would always cost extra. That being said the op had very little fillings.

It usually says how much each extra filling will be.
    STB. wrote: »

What’s the problem? Coleslaw can be eaten with hot things as long as it’s eaten promptly.

Hardly worth eating one unless it’s got coleslaw, most important ingredient after the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I’ve only ever heard them being called chicken fillet rolls (since the ‘90s) but what a thing to be bothered about. Who cares what others call them?

I worked in a Centra back in the boom and remember a traveller guy coming in and ordering a "Hot Spicy Chicken Fillet Baguette Roll".

It used to be 5euro a decade ago for a chicken roll. Never had the likes of them anywhere else. Tasty as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You’d buy 2 off heat broilers for the price of that.2 Sunday roasts out of them.wouldnt cost a whole lot to flesh them for finishing.
    That old sh1te yere buying in them rolls only ever knew concrete and antibiotics.not a bit of nature in them.its no wonder people are getting sick

Wouldn't be the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I worked in a Centra back in the boom and remember a traveller guy coming in and ordering a "Hot Spicy Chicken Fillet Baguette Roll".

No ambiguity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

You were not overcharged.
    That's the price and you didn't check it before you ordered.

Since when, most places it's €3 or €3.50....

I've seen it at €4.50 but never over €5 never mind €6.20 that is absolutely crazy and then chicken fillets are actually coming in from China.... Yes China....

Thailand & Brazil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are we back to gouging, so, is that it?

Pissing rain earlier. Went into Centra while I was waiting for a mate to finish work.
    "One chicken fillet roll, please; coleslaw and cheese, no butter"

Was charged over eight euro for that, and a bottle of water at the till.

I didn't make a scene, but I said "sorry I'm not paying that", and the lovely woman at the till kind of nodded at me in (maybe) agreement, so I went and ate elsewhere.

My questions are threefold:

Is gouging back?

And isn't it all just self-defeating?

And do you refuse to pay when being overcharged?

Chicken Fillet Roll and Coleshaw? That's horrendous, why would you ruin a beloved food item with colesaw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

€6.20 for a chicken roll with extra filling in Dublin CC sounds... not terrible to me. Like definitely not so outrageous that I'd walk out....€5 for a chicken roll with cheese is about the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

You don't get it do you? 'I went up and paid for my chicken roll' would not have produced the same results, thread - wise.

We have someone on here who writes short stories as their hobby and works in a financial institution who couldn't work a price list.

Then we've all the wild young ones telling us about how great chicken rolls are to cure hangovers because they're all so mad.

Then we've the health experts and dieticians telling us why we shouldn't eat chicken rolls.

All thanks to one mishap, where a perfectly good meal was wasted.

Allegedly.

Now I'm off to the pub to go off the rails on half a bottle of smirnoff ice. Thanks to this thread I'll have the cure for my hangover in the morning and I'll be right as rain in no time.

Ah yes I almost forgot about the food connoisseurs who have to tell us all about the correct constitution of a chicken roll.

Mad men altogether so ye are.

All because someone decided they'd make up a story about not paying for a chicken roll in some spar/centra that they can't remember the name of because they weren't able to read the price list before they ordered.

A small bit of coleslaw isn't too bad but mayonnaise and grated cheese is like a nice coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Wasn't spending all our money on chicken fillet rolls what caused the resession if the first place? We'll be back there again if we aren't careful

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Wasn't spending all our money on chicken fillet rolls what caused the resession if the first place? We'll be back there again if we aren't careful

We'll be back there in a cycle regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

3.50 in the IFSC Spar, was on special for 2.99 quite recently.

Butter or Mayo?
    Spicy or Plain?
    Lettuce, Tomato, Onion?
    Cut in half?

Those are your options, once you start adding in exotic ingredients like cheese and coleslaw, you're asking for trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

loyatemu wrote: »
    3.50 in the IFSC Spar, was on special for 2.99 quite recently.

Butter or Mayo?
    Spicy or Plain?
    Lettuce, Tomato, Onion?
    Cut in half?

Those are your options, once you start adding in exotic ingredients like cheese and coleslaw, you're asking for trouble...

Cheese..... exotic? ... its not an option - its a must have!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cheese..... exotic? ... its not an option - its a must have!

I don't make the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I would have punched the chicken roll right in the face and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You would get a whole cooked chicken for that

Aye, and the flesh would be 'mechanically' separated from the carcass by my teeth. No need for preservative as I would consume within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I would have punched the chicken roll right in the face and walked out.

Right in the minced beak and feet you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,331 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Nope it was avocados.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I was in London at the weekend and I was shocked at how cheap food and drink was compared to Dublin. Get a great brekkie/brunch/lunch for £5.

The f*ck happened to Dublin? Food was dirt cheap back during the recession. Shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Cina wrote: »
    I was in London at the weekend and I was shocked at how cheap food and drink was compared to Dublin. Get a great brekkie/brunch/lunch for £5.

The f*ck happened to Dublin? Food was dirt cheap back during the recession. Shambles.

Because food in the UK is pure ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Hoboo wrote: »

Depends where you go. Food in London is amazing.

Hoboo wrote: »

It’s impossible to get a decent roll in the UK they simply don’t exist, Subway is the best you can get which I love but once or twice a week is enough for going there and you need options.

To be honest its very hard to get a decent lunch anywhere outside Ireland they just make sh*t sandwiches and rolls compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

You might have met a strict person at the deli counter who tried to charge you for a portion of coleslaw as well. There's one near me and I always go out of my way to avoid her when getting food at the deli counter.

Always look for the fat Irish bird.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

My centra charge €4 for one and you get a can of coke included.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Ordering a roll and then not paying because it's a couple of euro more than you thought it seriously low brow behaviour! I've seen it happen a couple of times recently by a few different scrotes, it's uncouth at best.

What is the shop owner supposed to do? Just chuck it away?
    Guess I'm uncouth, so. Not bothered.

What's the shop owner supposed to do? Not charging approximately 20% more than other outlets in the same neighbourhood for the same food would be a good start.

And no, the price isn't displayed at the till. Or, I'd didn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Guess I'm uncouth, so. Not bothered.

What's the shop owner supposed to do? Not charging approximately 20% more than other outlets in the same neighbourhood for the same food would be a good start.

And no, the price isn't displayed at the till. Or, I'd didn't see it.

this HAS to have been either Fresh in IFSC or Spar... both gougers on prices for EVERYTHING. it's been like this for a while now, but 6.20 is a new record.

only a fool would pay that amount, or somebody who wants to seem like they have money.

as for the fools calling it "uncouth" etc... nobody in ireland is posh enough to call anyone else that sort of thing, so get over yourself. you aint no better than nobody :)

• Advertisement

this HAS to have been either Fresh in IFSC or Spar... both gougers on prices for EVERYTHING. it's been like this for a while now, but 6.20 is a new record.

No, it's the Spar over beside Capel Street, the one in the ifsc is actually pretty cheap, I thought. The same roll costs me about 4 euro there.

Advertisement