Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ligerdub wrote: »
    Ordering a roll and then not paying because it's a couple of euro more than you thought it seriously low brow behaviour! I've seen it happen a couple of times recently by a few different scrotes, it's uncouth at best.

What is the shop owner supposed to do? Just chuck it away? You're not buying a toothbrush mate, they can't put it back on the shelf. It's bad enough to waste a few chips or the like, but not meat, even if it is low grade.
    Someone will have it for their break. Don't these things have price labels on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, it's the Spar over beside Capel Street, the one in the ifsc is actually pretty cheap, I thought. The same roll costs me about 4 euro there.
    That price seems par for the course in most of them. Price you were charged may be an owner call.

Forgot to mention that the cheapest Chicken Fillet Roll in Dublin is currently to be had at Londis Grafton Street. 3.50 euro for a chicken fillet roll and two fillings. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

I remember even as recent as 2015 londis westmoreland was doing them for €2.50 two fillings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Since when, most places it's €3 or €3.50....

I've seen it at €4.50 but never over €5 never mind €6.20 that is absolutely crazy and then chicken fillets are actually coming in from China.... Yes China....

Actually most of them coming from Thailand.

And not 100% chicken obviously, some don't have much chicken in them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

This thread is like one of those inane rants that used to kick off in the house I stayed in during college about whether chef was better than heinz or Lyons was better than Barrys.

It takes a certain strand of person to get their back up so much about something so trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This thread is like one of those inane rants that used to kick off in the house I stayed in during college about whether chef was better than heinz or Lyons was better than Barrys.

It takes a certain strand of person to get their back up so much about something so trivial.

Aye, silly stuff.

#LyonsNHeinz

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Lyons was better than Barrys...

Ah now, that's not really a question. Is it??

082_b7d00c85c7d856dc982e4a4f63a65c89eeb1161a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are we back to gouging, so, is that it?

Pissing rain earlier. Went into Centra while I was waiting for a mate to finish work.
    "One chicken fillet roll, please; coleslaw and cheese, no butter"

Was charged over eight euro for that, and a bottle of water at the till.

I didn't make a scene, but I said "sorry I'm not paying that", and the lovely woman at the till kind of nodded at me in (maybe) agreement, so I went and ate elsewhere.

My questions are threefold:

Is gouging back?

And isn't it all just self-defeating?

And do you refuse to pay when being overcharged?

Anyone going into a petrol station shopping and then complaining about the prices should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

I love that there is a large thread on hot chicken rolls!

Also I need to start checking the prices of things now. Since tapping your card became a thing, I don't know what anything costs anymore and I can't afford that kind of lax attitude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

mikemac2 wrote: »
    A severe lack of mustard in this thread :(
    latest?cb=20161006003053

Fieldog wrote: »
    Most expensive roll I have ever purchased in my life and only did as I was extremely hungover and unaware of the price was 6.50 for a breakfast roll in Killarney, I twigged it at the counter and told them it was 3 euro dearer than our capital, I don't think Centra really cared with the amount of yanks buying souvenirs and shíte in the shop...

A centra in Killarney that sells souvenirs for yanks.

A centra.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

this HAS to have been either Fresh in IFSC or Spar... both gougers on prices for EVERYTHING. it's been like this for a while now, but 6.20 is a new record.

only a fool would pay that amount, or somebody who wants to seem like they have money.

as for the fools calling it "uncouth" etc... nobody in ireland is posh enough to call anyone else that sort of thing, so get over yourself. you aint no better than nobody :)

I'd happily pay €11.07 for a hot chicken roll, pay with a €20 note and throw my change in the bin because I don't want **** in my pockets.

Pip pip.

Needles73 wrote: »
    No wonder he closed if he was selling chicken rolls for €2......
    airmax87 wrote: »
    I remember even as recent as 2015 londis westmoreland was doing them for €2.50 two fillings

Londis at the top of O'Connell St were doing them for €2 up until this time last year, I think. Even had a pic in the window.

As of August, they've covered the price with a new sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Balanadan wrote: »
    I'd happily pay €11.07 for a hot chicken roll, pay with a €20 note and throw my change in the bin because I don't want **** in my pockets.

Pip pip.

AVB walt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Londis at the top of O'Connell St were doing them for €2 up until this time last year, I think. Even had a pic in the window.

You would have to question the quality of the chicken meat at that price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I like stuffing on mine the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

A disgusting meal. How anyone would readily eat such swill is beyond me. A baton of something that they call a baguette, that grated cheese that is covered in starch, industrially produced coleslaw that resembles baby vomit, and that breaded chicken that is produced in some former cat food factory in Eastern Thailand.

No wonder the Irish have such problems with obesity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Balanadan wrote: »

Pip pip.

just sh!t coming outta yer mouth then? ahahaa
    you sound like someone who is trying desperately to prove how moneyed they are.

travellers and dole people do this... big limos for communions, designer clothes... all only serve to prove outwardly that they are not poor.

same applies here i think.

just sh!t coming outta yer mouth then? ahahaa
    you sound like someone who is trying desperately to prove how moneyed they are.

travellers and dole people do this... big limos for communions, designer clothes... all only serve to prove outwardly that they are not poor.

same applies here i think.

Give Balanadan credit, he's far more sophisticated at this art than AvB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

I like stuffing on mine the odd time.

Stuffing in a roll is glorious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I worked in a Centra back in the boom and remember a traveller guy coming in and ordering a "Hot Spicy Chicken Fillet Baguette Roll".

How catchy! :pac: When my mother is ordering in restaurant, she says the whole title. Like instead of saying “I’ll have the burger please”, she’ll say “I’ll have the homemade angus burger please”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Guess I'm uncouth, so. Not bothered.

What's the shop owner supposed to do? Not charging approximately 20% more than other outlets in the same neighbourhood for the same food would be a good start.

And no, the price isn't displayed at the till. Or, I'd didn't see it.

The price list will be displayed at the deli. Which makes sense so that people can decide whether they agree with the prices before having something made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

sideswipe wrote: »
    You would have to question the quality of the chicken meat at that price!

Beaks and feet minced and whatever else is swept off the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is all this talk of chicken fillet rolls making anybody else hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Beaks and feet minced and whatever else is swept off the floor

I think they put stones and wood in too. And car tyres. A lad down the pub told me.

A disgusting meal. How anyone would readily eat such swill is beyond me. A baton of something that they call a baguette, that grated cheese that is covered in starch, industrially produced coleslaw that resembles baby vomit, and that breaded chicken that is produced in some former cat food factory in Eastern Thailand.

And they are delicious!

I reckon I've had them for lunch three days per week on average for the last 15 years or so :pac:, there have been many hungover or on the beer days where I've had two :D

And they are delicious!

I reckon I've had them for lunch three days per week on average for the last 15 years or so :pac:, there have been many hungover or on the beer days where I've had two :D

A chicken roll to cure a hangover!!!! And they're delicious too!!!

Ah you're a right mad yoke so you are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No. No, I won't have that. You rarely see a cat in Ireland that isn't in fairly decent condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dude, you've been consistently moaning throughout the thread, whereas most others are having the banter and enjoying the light hearted nature of it. Seems you are the one with the issue here.

Advertisement