Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Beaks and feet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Beaks and feet :D

Feaks and beet, soo tasty

Mayo & red onions, ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This thread has everything. Whinging, culchie/city price comparisons, some casual racism and more Chicken Fillet Roll combo ideas than you can shake a french stick at.

€6.20 is fridiculous. The Centras and Spars - in Dublin city centre in particular - are absolutely creaming it.

Tried to make myself one (they're not a thing in New Zealand) a couple of weeks ago when I was hungover, spent about $20 on the ingredients. It was fairly ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

The lack of tayto is concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Haven’t gotten it from a services stop in a good while but will look out for it next time I’m in one.

The last time I was in one in town they didn’t have any normal drinks at the dispenser or in the fridge and when I asked I was told they didn’t stock them anymore.

Couldn’t be arsed with the “sugar free” muck.

This seems to be catching on. Been in a KFC and a cinema recently and both only had the reduced sugar ones. Don’t know if they were still charging the tax though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Ordering a roll and then not paying because it's a couple of euro more than you thought it seriously low brow behaviour! I've seen it happen a couple of times recently by a few different scrotes, it's uncouth at best.

What is the shop owner supposed to do? Just chuck it away? You're not buying a toothbrush mate, they can't put it back on the shelf. It's bad enough to waste a few chips or the like, but not meat, even if it is low grade.

The lesson there if you're picky would be to ask first, suck it up and pay, or just not go there again!

A chicken and coleslaw sandwich from O'Briens is the guts of €7, a wrap or salad bowl from Chopped/Sprout is about €7-€10. A chicken fillet roll is a decent feed for about a fiver, maybe take the coleslaw out and save yourself a mighty euro.

Refusing to pay......give me strength!

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I honestly couldn't give a fcuk if it's chicken feet and processed elephant hoof.

A spicy chicken roll is the dogs bollocks. My local centra is 5.50 for one. Probably more if you fill it with salad too, but I don't bother with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I'd be willing to bet the cleanliness of a lot of deli counters is by a distance cleaner than many cafe/restaurant kitchens given the fact that it is right in front of the customers eyes.

As for the food, again, probably same ingredients/supplier/cooking method as your average lunchtime restaurant. Price is the main reason I stay away.

I worked in a deli in college and it really was spotless. I know because we cleaned thoroughly every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

Stopped going there, on principle, when they started exclusively stocking diet drinks.

I did the same. Hate those sugarless soft drinks with a passion, it's crazy they don't give you the option and must be losing them customers.

Overcharging is the request for a payment that is above and beyond that which is reasonable. Nobody was trying to cheat me, and this is only an illustrative example of a trend anyway.
    Since when, most places it's €3 or €3.50....

I've seen it at €4.50 but never over €5 never mind €6.20 that is absolutely crazy and then chicken fillets are actually coming in from China.... Yes China....

The prices are usually displayed in the deli area, aren’t they? So yes, the roll was very overpriced but the point is that the price list would have been available, more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

The prices are usually displayed in the deli area, aren’t they? So the roll was very overpriced but the point is that the price list would have been available, more than likely.

This whole thing sounds like shoplifting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

My local tesco includes chicken Fillet rolls as part of the €3.99 main, snack and drink meal deal.

Wha’?

ligerdub wrote: »
    Ordering a roll and then not paying because it's a couple of euro more than you thought it seriously low brow behaviour! I've seen it happen a couple of times recently by a few different scrotes, it's uncouth at best.

What is the shop owner supposed to do? Just chuck it away? You're not buying a toothbrush mate, they can't put it back on the shelf. It's bad enough to waste a few chips or the like, but not meat, even if it is low grade.

The lesson there if you're picky would be to ask first, suck it up and pay, or just not go there again!

A chicken and coleslaw sandwich from O'Briens is the guts of €7, a wrap or salad bowl from Chopped/Sprout is about €7-€10. A chicken fillet roll is a decent feed for about a fiver, maybe take the coleslaw out and save yourself a mighty euro.

Refusing to pay......give me strength!

You don't get it do you? 'I went up and paid for my chicken roll' would not have produced the same results, thread - wise.

We have someone on here who writes short stories as their hobby and works in a financial institution who couldn't work a price list.

Then we've all the wild young ones telling us about how great chicken rolls are to cure hangovers because they're all so mad.

Then we've the health experts and dieticians telling us why we shouldn't eat chicken rolls.

All thanks to one mishap, where a perfectly good meal was wasted.

Allegedly.

Now I'm off to the pub to go off the rails on half a bottle of smirnoff ice. Thanks to this thread I'll have the cure for my hangover in the morning and I'll be right as rain in no time.

Wha’?

Roll wasted. Shop out of pocket. Prices up on the board.

No different at all really.

And people are still falling for it.

Give ME strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Things have escalated here in the last few posts. He’ll be accused or murder yet, mark my words.

He’s as bad as a murder, the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

awec wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't give a fcuk if it's chicken feet and processed elephant hoof.

A spicy chicken roll is the dogs bollocks. My local centra is 5.50 for one. Probably more if you fill it with salad too, but I don't bother with that.

You’d buy 2 off heat broilers for the price of that.2 Sunday roasts out of them.wouldnt cost a whole lot to flesh them for finishing.
    That old sh1te yere buying in them rolls only ever knew concrete and antibiotics.not a bit of nature in them.its no wonder people are getting sick

Roll wasted. Shop out of pocket. Prices up on the board.

No different at all really.

And people are still falling for it.

Give ME strength.

It’s pretty much the same as genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Was brought out for lunch yesterday and fish and chips with mushy peas cost 17.95e. I found this expensive.

I have the receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You’d buy 2 off heat broilers for the price of that.2 Sunday roasts out of them.wouldnt cost a whole lot to flesh them for finishing.
    That old sh1te yere buying in them rolls only ever knew concrete and antibiotics.not a bit of nature in them.its no wonder people are getting sick

There's not enough bogger in me to know what to do with a chicken.

I eat them, that's the extent of my contribution to the life cycle of a chicken. Chickens of varying quality, from your free range chickens to your KFC "chickens". They all do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

awec wrote: »

You won't be disappointed then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

When studying in Galway, Chicken fillet roll in the Londis beside GUH was €2. That would have been 2012. Good times.

It’s expensive for a hot chicken roll but you would be paying close to 6 euro for a sandwich in many places.

I’d have a hot chicken roll around twice a week and generally costs between 4 and 4.50 depending on the place. The other places I rotate around for sandwich’s or fancier rolls the other 3 days would 5.50 at least and some 6 euro. I’d get a Subway every week too which is 7 but that includes a drink.

As an aside where did this “chicken fillet” roll naming come from, they are and always have been an “hot chicken” roll to me and anyone I know.

I’ve only ever heard them being called chicken fillet rolls (since the ‘90s) but what a thing to be bothered about. Who cares what others call them?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I’ve only ever heard them being called chicken fillet rolls (since the ‘90s) but what a thing to be bothered about. Who cares what others call them?

They're hot chicken rolls. Many people care, passionately, about what they're called.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You were not overcharged.
    That's the price and you didn't check it before you ordered.

It was overcharging. Six quid for a less than a euro worth of ingredients slapped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,556 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

8.70 for a 5oz burger meal with coke in supermacs, **** food, full of sugar, expensive and lots of people eating there.

Balanadan wrote: »
    They're hot chicken rolls. Many people care, passionately, about what they're called.

I’ve heard them called chicken fillet rolls far more frequently.
    It was overcharging. Six quid for a less than a euro worth of ingredients slapped together.

But the point is that the price would have been displayed at the deli area, expensive or not. Why did he only know the price at the till?

eagle eye wrote: »
    8.70 for a 5oz burger meal with coke in supermacs, **** food, full of sugar, expensive and lots of people eating there.

In other unrelated news I stubbed my toe.

• Advertisement

But the point is that the price would have been displayed at the deli area, expensive or not. Why did he only know the price at the till?

In fairness the prices displayed are normally for a roll with very basic fillings, I’d always add 5 or 6 fillings along with the hot chicken would always cost extra. That being said the op had very little fillings.

Advertisement