Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wow this thread is so funny you're all such madmen having chicken rolls
    My thoughts exactly. But then the mad yokes on here wouldn't be able to post their favourite hangover
    Then we've all the wild young ones telling us about how great chicken rolls are
    Mad men altogether so ye are.
    A chicken roll to cure a hangover!!!!

Ah you're a right mad yoke so you are!!!
    > "I need chicken rolls for my hangover cos I'm such a mad yoke so I am"
    Mad yoke alert!!!

Here, are you alright pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

So if you approach the counter with something you must pay for it?

Mother Ireland is rearing them yet.

I don’t mind people who admit to being too sheepish to complain, that’s probably me, but the idea that you have to buy something regardless of the price or you are a “thief” is evidently thick.

I'll tell you what's evidently thick. That you can't tell the difference between approaching a counter to pay for something that is hot, has been made up specifically to your own requirements and can't just be put back on the shelf. And a bottle of orange.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here, are you alright pal?

Just a bit tired. Nothing terminal. Thanks for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I'll tell you what's evidently thick. That you can't tell the difference between approaching a counter to pay for something that is hot, has been made up specifically to your own requirements and can't just be put back on the shelf. And a bottle of orange.

Yeh I can. Nevertheless same laws apply. Invitation to treat. Nobody has to buy.

Ranting on here about theft is the dumbest thing I’ve heard this week and I’ve watched Trump’s visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just a bit tired. Nothing terminal. Thanks for your concern.

Probably tired from reading about all the mad lads?

• Advertisement

Yeh I can. Nevertheless same laws apply. Invitation to treat. Nobody has to buy.

Ranting on here about theft is the dumbest thing I’ve heard this week and I’ve watched Trump’s visit.

Well evidently you don't. The shop is down on stock. Goods wasted. Prices displayed up on the wall. No leg to stand on at all.

What's invitation to treat, and when did I say theft?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Probably tired from reading about all the mad lads?

No I'm actually breaking my hole laughing that 20+ pages later we still have people who believe this happened.

But nearly 12 o clock. Long day. Another one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

> a thread started about an incident that 100% definitely happened in the centra spar in Capel Baggott Street Upper (that if it had in fact happened as described I'm almost sure would have been breaking some law)

> "I need chicken rolls for my hangover cos I'm such a mad yoke so I am"

> I know where you can get a chicken roll with a can for half that price

> God be the days when I was a young lad back in 2016 and we could buy chicken rolls for €2

> Eww lads ye know they could be made of anything but chicken right?

> I'm telling ye now lads there's a big recession on the way when you see chicken rolls at them prices.

> pics of Fr Ted

#BANTZZZZZZ

What a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

No I'm actually breaking my hole laughing that 20+ pages later we still have people who believe this happened.

But nearly 12 o clock. Long day. Another one tomorrow.
    You have been hurt. Who hurt you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

FFred wrote: »
    You have been hurt. Who hurt you ?

Gets me every single time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

> pics of Fr Ted

#BANTZZZZZZ

Anyone who puts a Father Ted reference in here is a fool.

To the matter at hand, what's the maximum would you pay for a chicken roll?

What are we talking? A pound? Two? Five pounds....

Me? It's a situation I'd rather not have to find myself in to be honest.

how about, the retailer's costs and 20 - 25%% on top for profit?

Same for water, where mark-up is ridiculous.

What if we lived in a country where people only took 20% or 30% profits? Imagine this applied to rent, and property, and food.

Imagine all the people living life in peace.

Oh, you may say I'm a dreamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Enough ��

You do know that Centra and Supervalu are different shops?? And that Northside Shopping Centre is nowhere near Capel Street?? :rolleyes:

Imagine all the people living life in peace.

Oh, you may say I'm a dreamer.

But you're not the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...To the matter at hand, what's the maximum would you pay for a chicken roll?

A chicken roll isn't worth more than €4 to me. Having said that, what you'll be charged for one depends on a myriad of factors, location, footfall, etc.

jimgoose wrote: »
    A chicken roll isn't worth more than €4 to me. Having said that, what you'll be charged for one depends on a myriad of factors, location, footfall, etc.

Would you be willing to pay more for a proper shredded breast of chicken in there instead of the processed sh*t? If I had a choice between the 2 I'd have to go for the decent chicken option, even for a quid or 2 or 3 more.

Would you be willing to pay more for a proper shredded breast of chicken in there instead of the processed sh*t? If I had a choice between the 2 I'd have to go for the decent chicken option, even for a quid or 2 or 3 more.

No. I can get a rotiserrie-cooked free-range chicken locally here for €7.00 - I'd bring that home and make my own sandwich, and get a decent dinner out of him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

I hate the Irish bantttzzzzzzzzzz (should be craic) joe.ie tier humor as much as the next fella but I know to expect it on boards and not **** up threads when I go here

airmax87 wrote: »
    I hate the Irish bantttzzzzzzzzzz (should be craic) joe.ie tier humor as much as the next fella but I know to expect it on boards and not **** up threads when I go here

Does it make you want to hit someone as well, when some barely-sentient, sister-riding woollyback makes some stupid comment about fucking immersion heaters?? :pac:

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the supposed bantz is here?

In economics there's something called the Big Mac Index, a way of making PPP (purchasing power parity) relatable to the consumer.

I just happen to think that the increasing price of a chicken fillet roll is one useful gauge of heat in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Big Mac Index = BMI.
    coincidence? I think not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

62153560_10218880143332670_8445038024818950144_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=67cc821f70616e04acd4a78670fd897c&oe=5D55953F

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Are we back to gouging, so, is that it?

Pissing rain earlier. Went into Centra while I was waiting for a mate to finish work.
    "One chicken fillet roll, please; coleslaw and cheese, no butter"

Was charged over eight euro for that, and a bottle of water at the till.

I didn't make a scene, but I said "sorry I'm not paying that", and the lovely woman at the till kind of nodded at me in (maybe) agreement, so I went and ate elsewhere.

My questions are threefold:

Is gouging back?

And isn't it all just self-defeating?

And do you refuse to pay when being overcharged?

should have paid , you should have looked at the price before have an un resell able sandwich made specifically for you .

should have paid , you should have looked at the price before have an un resell able sandwich made specifically for you .
    The price isn't displayed. There's a board over the deli with 3 or 4 examples of food options, but no menu.

I don't think it was unreasonable to assume I'd be charged less than six quid.
    I went and got a sandwich in an actual restaurant a few doors away, one which has won many awards for its food, for 7 quid. The water was free.

This convenience shop had wanted to charge me over 8 quid for those.

Aanyway, this is only about the chicken fillet roll to an extent. I'm trying to ask people about overcharging more broadly, and suggesting that we should refuse to pay.

The price isn't displayed. There's a board over the deli with 3 or 4 examples of food options, but no menu.

I went and got a sandwich in an actual restaurant a few doors away, one which has won many awards for its food, for 7 quid. The water was free.

Aanyway, this is only about the chicken fillet roll to an extent. I'm trying to ask people about overcharging more broadly, and suggesting that we should refuse to pay.

Except it is though.

Except it is though.
    Ok buddy, we get it. I don't think we've ever engaged here, but somehow you''re highly annoyed at me personally/ this situation.

I know what I was asked to pay, and others here have been asked to pay similar or higher. We're not all out to destroy Spar, simply objecting to overcharging, and this is a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Expecting things to be cheap in convenience stores when we have the 6th highest minimum wage in the world, massive rents and rates is just a dream.

Expecting things to be cheap in convenience stores when we have the 6th highest minimum wage in the world, massive rents and rates is just a dream.
    Cheap would be below-average price, no?

I expect the cost to be +/- 20% of the average. Not asking for cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cheap would be below-average price, no?

I expect the cost to be +/- 20% of the average. Not asking for cheap.

Every store has different circumstances though, rent and rates are figures plucked from the sky, they have different suppliers, a chicken fillet can cost as little as 50cent or as much as €2 depending on supplier and quality. Same story with rolls and the mayo used to make the coleslaw. You can't comment on the quality because you went elsewhere.

Advertisement