Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mrsnrub2.0

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Top 5 coldest Junes on record for Ireland (records back to 1967) using the IMT.

1. 1972; 11.1c
    2. 1991; 12.0c
    3. 1985; 12.1c
    4. 2011; 12.2c
    5. 1977; 12.2c

2019 is running at 11.3c up to June 8th.

Data from Met Éireann.

So far sryanbruen you're summer forecast has been spot on.

Here's hoping July and August are spot on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Really heavy rain atm in Cork City, heavy thundery downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is the forecast still good for the west from mid week?

Edit: looking at the met app it seems we are in for a cool showery week with the better temperatures in the west, maxing out at 16c. The south east will, unusually, get the most rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

My grass is 4ft high now ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

corcaigh1 wrote: »

Yet there has been several reports of good weather in Cork the last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yet this time last year there was hardly any grass at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

mrsnrub2.0 wrote: »
    So far sryanbruen you're summer forecast has been spot on.

Here's hoping July and August are spot on too!

Thanks for the nice comment on the forecast so far although personally, I feel I underestimated the cool temperatures going off of what June has been like up to this point. I'm kinda relying now on a significant warm up in the second half of the month to get to the point where I thought temperatures would end up when this month is finished which is around the low 13s (relatively below average). Need a significant rise to get close to that as it's running at only 11.3c, as shown above.

I have a feeling that July will be a bust going by how stubborn and intense this blocking is and continues to be through the following week. Models have been trying to warm things up this week which has now vanished and the third week warm up or temporary settle down too is disappearing somewhat. This is very normal behaviour for models to underestimate the blocking. We saw it throughout 2018, most notably during the drought period. This Greenland blocking either needs to disappear or weaken substantially so for any chance of us getting a decent lengthy period of warmer than average weather.

This is a very unusual setup we have got this coming week and it's not an Atlantic onslaught either, it's an E to NE'ly flow of air with low pressure systems forming around the Low Countries caused by cold air filtering down from the north and contrast with warmer air filtering into eastern Europe from Africa via southerly winds. With the Atlantic completely blocked by this Greenland blocking and a mid-Atlantic ridge, the low pressure systems have no choice but to retrogress westwards towards us. This is the kind of pattern that snowbies dream of for winter but in summer, all it means is dismally wet and cold. Best place to be in the country for such a scenario is the northwest if you want the best chance of settled weather.

I'd say more than likely that the low solar activity is having its hand in producing this extreme blocking which will be very bad for the polar ice caps and Arctic sea ice this summer if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Not long enough for it to dry out and cut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's not 4ft because of the weather alone that's for sure. I've cut my grass twice a week for the last month no problem at all. Any rain we've had had been showers and the strong sun means it drys up very quickly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    It's not 4ft because of the weather alone that's for sure. I've cut my grass twice a week for the last month no problem at all. Any rain we've had had been showers and the strong sun means it drys up very quickly afterwards.

Yeah same here, have been able to cut the grass two or three times now,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2010 was actually one of the warmest starts to summer of the decade. June 2010 was a very good month.

2015 was coldest.

Ah interesting! Also from looking at some of the temperature records after you posted that, it looks like 2011 was fairly miserable.
    I might have been thinking of then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Off to the west coast on Friday for 10 days as we do every year. Last year, we were swimming in the Atlantic twice a day to cool off, it was so pleasant! Lovely sleeping with the windows open and the fresh warm air coming in! Can't imagine much scream-free swimming this year (I'll still get in though) and looks like the stove will have to be lit at night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have the heating on for the last hour, crazy stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sun shining all day in Galway...fairly warm in the sun too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Sunburnt at top of the Mournes yesterday, rain lower down. Four seasons in one day.
    Between Meath and Santry so far today haven't met rain. Great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Started off lovely+ sunny this morning in North county Dublin. Managed to get out early + time in playground + nice walk in before torrential rain + hailstones. Thankfully at that stage we were in a forest so great shelter from trees. Felt so sorry for families only arriving + kids crying with rain + cold. Miserable now but we are cosy at home with heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Was at the Cure last nite....freezing there.. summer concert season indeed...
    Out on motorbike today...lashed for bout an hour and got v v cold...summer...
    I'm emigrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

We had 3 hailstones showers today, no mention of them on met eireann. Maybe they also don't believe they are possible in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Bucketing down in Dublin now. FML.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hubsy took this photo an hour ago from a ferry.

HaPpY sUmMeR, eVeRyBoDy!

4-EABB2-E8-9-C3-C-4-ED6-AA2-E-66-CC9-C164-AF8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

appledrop wrote:
    We had 3 hailstones showers today, no mention of them on met eireann. Maybe they also don't believe they are possible in June!

Tbh, the majority of hail showers happen in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

appledrop wrote: »

Hail showers happen almost every summer. I'd even say more common from April to October. Could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No actual rain today here in West Clare, mad! Some showers got close but it's stayed completely dry all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I guess if it’s any consolation all of the UK and most of the Low Countries are having pretty poor weather too.

There’s nothing worse than seeing London sweltering in the high 20s while we’re getting p*ssed on as it all seems so close but so far.

France too has seen some poor weather. Apart from a few days, the weather at the French Open has been terrible with rain interruptions almost every day.

Western parts of Norway have been poor too. And parts of Canada have been extremely cool. Toronto has had temps around 5 degrees below average for most of May and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

By this time last year I had several outdoor swims. I have none so far this year. It looks like we are getting 3 seasons in one day with summer missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    I guess if it’s any consolation all of the UK and most of the Low Countries are having pretty poor weather too.

There’s nothing worse than seeing London sweltering in the high 20s while we’re getting p*ssed on as it all seems so close but so far.

France too has seen some poor weather. Apart from a few days, the weather at the French Open has been terrible with rain interruptions almost every day.

Western parts of Norway have been poor too. And parts of Canada have been extremely cool. Toronto has had temps around 5 degrees below average for most of May and June.

Gotta love our friend the Greenland High :rolleyes:

Z07Zud6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

no.8 wrote: »
    Tbh, the majority of hail showers happen in the summer.
    Hail showers happen almost every summer. I'd even say more common from April to October. Could be wrong

Yeah, I never can get people being surprised at summer hail. They are often linked with thunderstorms more than coldness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

appledrop wrote:

yep accuweather had sunny afternoon...but no mention of lots of thundershowers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s cold tonight proper cool like you would in no circumstances choose to sit out in it. Heating on inside.

Advertisement