Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool and showery in Letterkenny, we seem to have progressed from March to April weather as the weeks gone on at least

A bit of warmth in the sunny spells but cloud getting thicker as the day goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Currently 16.4c in Arklow and sunny
    Humidity at 60%
    Light westerly wind
    Perfect for working outside in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Next week is looking similar to June 2007 with intense blocking continuing to our west and keeping the west of Ireland largely settled but chance of rain in the south and east. England and Wales look like they’re in for a deluge.

Wasn't that the issue in 2012
    rain and lows sweeping in from south up the east and was it the summer of Rihanna was it with that umbrella song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Nice sunny spells, helps bump the temp up a bit. I've noticed that the low clouds are moving eastwards while the high clouds are moving westwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Terrible day
    Can’t get heat from the sun if ya can’t see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Nice & sunny here in south county Dublin. Feels warmer than it is in the sun, but definitely feels the 15/16 degrees it is in the shade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

How is North West France looking Sryan?

I've been following this very poor June weather with great interest as it is not just effecting us, but a large part of North and Western Europe.

France is looking very unseasonal too with plenty of heavy showers or prolonged outbreaks of rain over the next 7 to 10 days.

Monday looks like lots of showers:
    57-574.GIF?08-6

This continues into Wednesday:
    108-574.GIF?08-6

Next Thursday, France looks to be getting a proper soaking:
    156-574.GIF?08-6

Plenty of Rain up to next Saturday with a chance of snow on highest ground:
    180-574.GIF?08-6

The next week to 10 days does not look like a good time to be going to France on holidays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Achasanai wrote: »
    Nice & sunny here in south county Dublin. Feels warmer than it is in the sun, but definitely feels the 15/16 degrees it is in the shade.

same here in Meath. Today has easily been the best day of the month so far, a wee bit of warmth in that sun. So far the Metallica fans are doing well to escape rain or showers at Slane, hopefully the rest of the day with stay dry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

To be fair today is actually not a bad day in Kildare considering how atrocious it has been recently.

latest ensembles point towards a continuation of cool and unsettled conditions, with any signs of normal temperatures being pushed back day by day. Looks cool now right up to the 21st of June with temperatures between 1 to 3C below average. Looks like a proper east/west split across Europe, with all western European countries below average, then warmer conditions from central Europe eastwards.

ens_image.php?geoid=64969&var=201&run=6&date=2019-06-08&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

How is the algarve looking gonzo ???????

km79 wrote: »
    How is the algarve looking gonzo ???????

Algarve is certainly looking dryer than much of western Europe, but temperatures even there are below average for the next 1 to 2 weeks with temperatures in the high teens to low, maybe mid 20s along the coast, more mid 20s further inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Been out the last hour 2 torrential showers temperatures 13.5 degrees and breezy. There’s nothing good or remotely good about it.

Been out the last hour 2 torrential showers temperatures 13.5 degrees and breezy. There’s nothing good or remotely good about it.

It's pot luck where the showers hit, none here(north Dublin) yet. I was sitting out in the sunny spells in a sheltered spot and I was boiling! :) Also, the latest satellite cloud images show more sunny gaps on the way! https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites/ireland-infrared

At 4:15pm clouds moving west to east
    482274.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Horrible really windy cool day in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well I'd had enough of the cold and the rain. Sat here in Girona, Spain by the pool. 26C and blue sky. Less than a two and a half hour flight from Knock and its bliss.
    Unfortunely we are back Tuesday, only a three night break but what the hell. Wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Surprisingly pleasant sunny spells here S. Dublin coast. No showers here today and has been mostly dry for a few days as we missed out on that thunder shower a few days ago. Hopefully high pressure will become a feature on the next few runs, as been very cool recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Horrible really windy cool day in Dublin.

I am in south west Dublin and the sun is shining and its quite pleasant today . The wind is drying the towels so all in all not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I’m wondering, had we gotten the exact same weather pattern as now but in January what would it have been like? Lots of snow or rain?

rahmalec wrote: »
    I’m wondering, had we gotten the exact same weather pattern as now but in January what would it have been like? Lots of snow or rain?

If this was in January/February we would probably be knee deep in snow. Next week in particular would produce probably massive amounts of snow especially in the east, if this was mid winter, it would certainly rival December 2010 or February 1982.

The pattern we are currently stuck in, is what was predicted for last winter, we all know how winter 2018 turned out, such a shame it finally arrived to ruin the first month of summer 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am in south west Dublin and the sun is shining and its quite pleasant today . The wind is drying the towels so all in all not bad

Same here in my part of Dublin over towards Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Wasn't that the issue in 2012
    rain and lows sweeping in from south up the east and was it the summer of Rihanna was it with that umbrella song?

June 2012 was more of an Atlantic influence with deep low pressure systems for the time of year forming along a southerly tracking jet. Late June 2007 had low pressure systems forming over central Europe and moving towards us.

Yes, 2007 was when Rihanna released that song.

just looking at the latest update for the coming week and it basically looks like a repeat of last week, plenty of rain and temperatures struggling in the low to mid teens, perhaps slightly higher than that in any sunshine.

The UK is really in for a nasty week with even lower temperatures then ours, many places over there may struggle to get much above 8 or 9C during some of the intense bursts of rain around mid week, temperatures there anywhere from 2 to 6C below average, absolutely atrocious temperatures for the time of year. Northern Scotland looks bitter to say the least, temperatures in some northern parts barely reaching 6 or 7C next Thursday. generally very chilly everywhere including Ireland.

GFSOPUK12_120_5.png

They are also due an awful lot of rain next week, by next Thursday, alot of rain would have fallen there, Ireland also receiving plenty of rain this week.

GFSOPUK12_120_18.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    So far the Metallica fans are doing well to escape rain or showers at Slane, hopefully the rest of the day with stay dry for them.

Im about 8km from slane, and we've had 3 or 4 downpours since about 3.30, i doubt they escaped, plenty of people using our road, the rain didnt seem bother them.

Weather was grand before 3.30, plenty of work done outside and felt warm in the sun. Big change since though

Im about 8km from slane, and we've had 3 or 4 downpours since about 3.30, i doubt they escaped, plenty of people using our road, the rain didnt seem bother them

I must have goten lucky here at Dunshaughlin, we've had a few spits and spots of rain, but nothing that would wet the ground. Overall it was a nice day till about 5pm, got much cloudier since with dark clouds hanging overhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We've been getting away with the showers down here but that hasn't stopped the temps veering wildly as it clouds over and the wind picks up. Baltic at about 2 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    I must have goten lucky here at Dunshaughlin, we've had a few spits and spots of rain, but nothing that would wet the ground. Overall it was a nice day till about 5pm, got much cloudier since with dark clouds hanging overhead.

Sun is out now and the showers look like they're dying out, nice for the slane crowd, and i might even see the after concet fireworks to, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pleasant enough day in Dublin really. Plenty of sunshine from about 12 onwards.

I had posted earlier about being boiling hot during the sunny spells in a sheltered spot away from wind. Well for now tonight there is a chill in that breeze, it's like March weather! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Hoping this weather turns the corner soon. Mid summers day is fast approaching. Dry sunny days are needed.

Advertisement