Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely display of NLC clouds out there at the moment if anybody is interested to take a look.

Northern Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Massive hail downpour ongoing in Donegal, heaviest precipitation I've seen in quite a while.

I posted earlier that today was April-like, well night time hail squalls are more akin to November ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’m absolutely frozen, I’m in bed with the duvet up around my neck!! It’s JUNE people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

So far Sligo has 45mm for June

Markree just 5 miles away has 72mm.

Over May and June Markree has 50mm more rain than Sligo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Saturday's max temperatures across Europe. Ireland and UK clearly the coldest part of Europe (with the exception of eastern Iceland), and still relatively cool across North-West Europe and into western parts of central Europe.

The heat across eastern Europe stretches up along way, almost as far as the Arctic circle with temperatures close to 30C on the northern coast of Finland.

txint_eur2.png

Tonight is chilly, but we may have some even colder nights to come early next week. Monday night looks particularly cold, perhaps a chance of a slight frost with temperatures as low as 2C in some inland areas. We struggled to get nights as cold as this throughout November and December.

33-580UK.GIF?08-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

pad199207 wrote: »
    Lovely display of NLC clouds out there at the moment if anybody is interested to take a look.

Northern Sky.

Still a brilliant display out now at 3am. We've been unlucky with cloudy skies the last few weeks.
    IMG-20190609-030732.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

yes a fantasic display of N.L.C last night,sadly quite cold standing looking at it deffently needed a hot cup in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jesus make it stop

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    Saturday's max temperatures across Europe. Ireland and UK clearly the coldest part of Europe (with the exception of eastern Iceland), and still relatively cool across North-West Europe and into western parts of central Europe.

The heat across eastern Europe stretches up along way, almost as far as the Arctic circle with temperatures close to 30C on the northern coast of Finland.

txint_eur2.png

Tonight is chilly, but we may have some even colder nights to come early next week. Monday night looks particularly cold, perhaps a chance of a slight frost with temperatures as low as 2C in some inland areas. We struggled to get nights as cold as this throughout November and December.

33-580UK.GIF?08-18

This is crazy stuff

Any real end in sight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Glorious morning in Limerick. Sun shining since dawn. Had breakfast outside. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Glorious morning in Limerick. Sun shining since dawn. Had breakfast outside. Lovely.

I'd say enjoy it,prob only boiling for showers in the afternoon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Going to sons communion now
    Once the hailstones stop
    It’s the 9th of June and we can’t even get to the car
    But at least the fear of drought expressed by some in March is over
    Until we get a few nice days again next month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm finding it hard to remember such a cold start to the summer. Maybe 2010?
    We still have the boiler coming on to heat the house in the morning and sometimes in the evening. We usually switch it off for the summer in early May. :(

13c in Sligo most days

It was 9c for 2 days last week

I think in the 2nd half of June we will get a 20 or 21c but generally mid teens at best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was sat outside in cork city eating my breakfast and it was sunny and warm, but suddenly became cloudy , cold and is now raining. *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a bad morning here plenty of cloud about but when the sun comes thorough it’s pleasant. It’s not hot, it’s not roasting, my outside decking is still wet and there are big black clouds to the north of me. But it’s ok for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big heavy showers getting going here in Kerry, cant believe that we have the heating on, just 10.3C !

Got down to 6.8C overnight. Won't be much done outside today.

Edit at 10.51 : 9.9C now

Was mostly sunny earlier here in Kildare but lots of convection initiating now. 13c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

normally we end lighting fires at the start of May and usually have about 4 bags of coal left over to start us back in September. We are now on our last bag of coal and looks like we will have to buy more tomorrow to keep us going over the week, we've never had to do this before in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

km79 wrote:
    Going to sons communion now Once the hailstones stop It’s the 9th of June and we can’t even get to the car But at least the fear of drought expressed by some in March is over Until we get a few nice days again next month

Hope it goes well considering the volitile weather! Beautiful morning, turning rather turbulent now.

Tbh though, hailstones mainly occur in the spring or summer months so it's not unusual in that regards.

• Advertisement

Next Wednesday and Thursday looks like a taste of winter with bitterly cold north-easterlies firing down over us and low pressure in charge keeping things very wet. This is the chart that dreams are made of in December, January and February. Northern blocking looks like it's maybe even intensifying more.

GFSOPEU06_96_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Crop growth slow atm with lack of rain in May and now lower temperatures. I've noticed a lack of early potatoes for sale. Most of the ones being sold are from elsewhere.

Showers have arrived

I'm heading into Dublin for the day, going to pack the rain gear just in case, I don't trust that it's going to stay dry.

Looking at charts makes me think this will be the coldest June on record.

All charts up to 384hrs quite cool

What is the coldest June as a matter of interest?

Sryan?

pauldry wrote: »

Sryan?

I'd well believe it, 2007 and 2012 were bad but I do not remember them being this cold, despite all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice bright start to the day in Castlebar after some over night showers, chilly though at only 10.6C in a light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to remember such a cold start to the summer. Maybe 2010?
    We still have the boiler coming on to heat the house in the morning and sometimes in the evening. We usually switch it off for the summer in early May. :(

2010 was actually one of the warmest starts to summer of the decade. June 2010 was a very good month.

2015 was coldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In Donedea Forest park with kids this morning.. four seasons in one fine minute window. Rain turning to hail turning to blazing sunshine.

Crap really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »

Sryan?

Top 5 coldest Junes on record for Ireland (records back to 1967) using the IMT.

1. 1972; 11.1c
    2. 1991; 12.0c
    3. 1985; 12.1c
    4. 2011; 12.2c
    5. 1977; 12.2c

2019 is running at a dismal 11.3c up to June 8th.

As a comparison for interest, these are the top 5 warmest:

1. 2018; 16.0c
    2. 1970; 15.4c
    3. 1976; 15.2c
    4. 2010; 15.0c
    5. 1992; 14.9c

Data from Met Éireann.

Advertisement