Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'd love to see the perseids.
    Never have.
    Live in the city centre, so don't hold out much hope.

Let us know if you have any luck!

Was a lovely clear evening but thick cloud rolled in just as it got dark. I got to see them in 2015, I spent 4 or 5 hours staring in to the sky that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

road_high wrote: »
    Our lovely summer has really taken a nosedive. Back to the wet, cold and showery shlop I’m afraid. August has been a crap month for the past few years summers after good June/July’s

Except June was really bad this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Foggy, sun trying to break through 6°. Chilliest morning for some time. Wicklow

Cold in dublin but no wind and lovely blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Today is the 40th anniversary of the Fastnet race disaster. Interesting article in the IT about the limitations of forecasting back then compared to nowadays.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/fastnet-debacle-risk-of-severe-weather-was-considered-slight-1.3983930

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mainly cloudy now in Dublin after a beautiful chilly and sunny morning. Still feeling quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sunny and warm when out in it, feels cool in the shade, really felt the cool air last night watching a match, maybe its because im getting older or maybe because i was in shorts and a tee shirt, i dont know, but definitely felt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Anybody fancy a whip-round to ensure a good weekend?

https://sputniknews.com/infographics/20110506163886466/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Not sure this belongs here but thought it was pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1161262039605633027?s=19

This was yesterday from Baggot st, pardon the glare

hellavision.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

hellavision.png

Lovely summers evening though, had a barbecue and great drying out lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Showers here in Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lashing rain at Dunshaughlin. Grass cutting abandoned and put on hold for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Gonzo wrote: »
    lashing rain at Dunshaughlin. Grass cutting abandoned and put on hold for another day.

Got very windy here in Dublin 11 as that shower develops up your way. Little rain though just a side swipe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential downpour here now in North County Dublin. Yet again I beat the rain. We had a lovely morning in the park. It was very pleasant in sun but chilly when in the shade or cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

hellavision.png

That's exactly what I was talking about yesterday when I said the sky looked mad + could see the storm clouds coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What a rotten day in West Clare, 17mm of rain, heavy showers one after another since this morning, with a nice load of drizzle filling in most of the gaps. Not matching forecasts really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Cool day in Arklow
    Some sharp showers,now light rain
    Top temp was 16.2c
    1.2mm rain
    Currently 14.4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Felt genuinely cool in Cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭endainoz

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What a rotten day in West Clare, 17mm of rain, heavy showers one after another since this morning, with a nice load of drizzle filling in most of the gaps. Not matching forecasts really.

Talk about micro climate, got no rain at all in North Clare today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

endainoz wrote: »
    Talk about micro climate, got no rain at all in North Clare today!

You're messing?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Can't believe I had to give the heating a boost today in Cork.

That seemed to end very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Have had the open fire on during the last 2 days here in Galway. It does get cool in the evenings now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wandered down the lanes with two of the cats to the east facing shore... sun rising pale gold before the clouds claimed it. and ocean almost at high tide. Ripple songs..utterly peaceful time... lovely still morning. Picked blackberries on the way home- and gathered midge bites.. never saw anywhere there are so many wild flowers and the heather a rich, rich purple...

I have learned that the first light hours rarely stay as they are but enjoy them . Clouds gathering even now.

Calm and mild.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wandered down the lanes with two of the cats to the east facing shore... sun rising pale gold before the clouds claimed it. and ocean almost at high tide. Ripple songs..utterly peaceful time... lovely still morning. Picked blackberries on the way home- and gathered midge bites.. never saw anywhere there are so many wild flowers and the heather a rich, rich purple...

I have learned that the first light hours rarely stay as they are but enjoy them . Clouds gathering even now.

Calm and mild.

West Mayo offshore island

There's a song/poem in there somewhere :D

Another horrible dreary dark day in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Suns peeping through in Arklow (just!)
    Already a lot warmer than yesterday
    Currently 18c
    Had 7.2mm rain in the last 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

I can't think of any days of pure sunshine although I was away for a bit.
    It's a f**king sh*te summer

I can only really think of 1 THAT WAS around mid July when I felt it after sitting out, indeed I have to agree with your overall assessment ‘sh*te summer’.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That day was probably 14th July ^, the day that an annoying big arc of cloud came in over the Irish Sea to my locality and ruined what I was hoping to be a very sunny day as most others had but instead much of the period was overcast. Granted, the evening was beautiful.

I still think 3rd July was the best day this summer for me followed by 1st/2nd August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That day was probably 14th July ^, the day that an annoying big arc of cloud came in over the Irish Sea to my locality and ruined what I was hoping to be a very sunny day as most others had but instead much of the period was overcast. Granted, the evening was beautiful.

I still think 3rd July was the best day this summer for me followed by 1st/2nd August.

Correct :)

From late June to late July (with exception of 1/2 downpours) was probably the best settled spell of the summer.

Advertisement