Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Makes sense to me, personally anyone still willing to claim to be a practicing Catholic knowingly supports an organisation that engaged in the abuse ,rape and murder of children.

By your rationale, if you’re a human being, you also support the abuse, rape and murder of children.

What you’re doing is called guilt by association. If you actually gave the idea some thought, you’d have realised that it’s pretty easy to come up with any sort of an accusation against you and claim you’re a supporter of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

By your rationale, if you’re a human being, you also support the abuse, rape and murder of children.

That's an epic level of stupidity right there. Well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It might be in your mouth and but it's true. There is something you support that has a bad history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Which brings me back to what I said before. Catholics are doing what they enjoy doing and have no notion of giving up those parts. People saying they aren't Catholics unless the follow every last rule is something that bothers only those saying that. The Church welcomes them with open arms whenever they want to turn up. They might go to mass if it suits this week and not for next two months. It's all about picking and choosing these day.

What difference does it make to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Another thing I think people underestimate is how much weekly mass in the country is a community gathering and that's why weekly mass attendance is much higher in the country. When I was a child, mass and the chatting outside afterwards was the reason I knew practically the whole parish eg people older than me in their late teens and early twenties, adults who weren't my friends parents, old bachelor farmers and spinsters, a new wife or husband. You would know them all and just pick all sorts of info you didn't even realise you knew, the stuff that makes you part of a community of not just like minded individuals but everyone. I have nieces and nephews growing up down the country now and I see that in them too which my children don't have because even if you go to mass in the city, people are just way more anonymous. My city husband has no regard for where he grew up whereas I would still be deeply attached to my original homeplace and I think going to weekly mass played a big part in that.

• Advertisement

It is, isn’t it?

It’s exactly the same level of stupidity you engaged to try and make your point about the association you make between ordinary members of the Roman Catholic Church and people who have raped, murdered and abused children. I could also have said if you’re Irish you support the abuse, rape and murder of children. If you’re a man? Yup - guilty. Any other characteristics I can draw associations between you and people who abuse, rape and murder children makes you as guilty as them. Should be ashamed of yourself, yada yada :rolleyes:

Or, you could just acknowledge you were talking complete bollocks because your point just doesn’t make any sense.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What difference does it make to you?

None. I'm happy out with it. Other people seem to insist Catholics must be better than the Pope himself but I know you can feel very Catholic yet pick and choose. Because I am one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think you quoted the wrong post. This is the one you should have posted.

Makes sense to me, personally anyone still willing to claim to be a practicing Catholic knowingly supports an organisation that engaged in the abuse ,rape and murder of children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It’s exactly the same level of stupidity you engaged to try and make your point about the association you make between ordinary members of the Roman Catholic Church and people who have raped, murdered and abused children. I could also have said if you’re Irish you support the abuse, rape and murder of children. If you’re a man? Yup - guilty. Any other characteristics I can draw associations between you and people who abuse, rape and murder children makes you as guilty as them. Should be ashamed of yourself, yada yada

Still epic stupidity on your part, nice to see you're doubling down.

It is, isn’t it?

It’s exactly the same level of stupidity you engaged to try and make your point about the association you make between ordinary members of the Roman Catholic Church and people who have raped, murdered and abused children. I could also have said if you’re Irish you support the abuse, rape and murder of children. If you’re a man? Yup - guilty. Any other characteristics I can draw associations between you and people who abuse, rape and murder children makes you as guilty as them. Should be ashamed of yourself, yada yada :rolleyes:

Or, you could just acknowledge you were talking complete bollocks because your point just doesn’t make any sense.

Or say, one had a brother that raised his hand to his wife and the sibling didn't 100% cut his brother plus his brother's family, who did nothing, out of his life, would that also mean the sibling supported domestic violence ?? Far from that simple imo.

• Advertisement

Given your judgement isn’t all that rational, I’m not surprised you’d say I was doubling down by pointing out the stupidity in your original argument. You think your point was in any way original or clever? It wasn’t. I’ve been hearing that same point made ever since I was a teenager, by other teenagers.

It was always that they associated the abuse, rape and murder of children, everything that was wrong with the world according to them, with anyone who considered themselves to be a member of the Roman Catholic Church. The point of their exercise was of course to try and make innocent people feel guilty for something they hadn’t done. They were attempting to portray themselves as morally superior to everyone else. The very thing they were criticising themselves, they were engaged in it up to their necks - they saw themselves as having the authority to pass judgment upon innocent people who they saw as different to them in some way.

I didn’t pay any heed to those people then, and I’ve already given you enough attention. I couldn’t care less what you think.

A lot of people disagree with you. I'm not religious and I disagree with you. I'm quite sure that if we had a list if your interests that we'd prove you are a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sad how Irish people are brainwashed into hating their own faith and culture.

Whatever. Enjoy your cold, lonely athetism. I'll enjoy the sense of community and belonging my faith gives me.

My local church is packed every Sunday btw. Try not to seethe too much :

Yes you keep going to your church on Sunday if it makes you feel good but take your religious indoctrination out of our schools and teach religion to your children on Sundays

Yes you keep going to your church on Sunday if it makes you feel good but take your religious indoctrination out of our schools and teach religion to your children on Sundays

They’re not your schools.

If you don't want your children (as if you have any) 'indoctrinated' then don't send them to a school with a Catholic ethos.

It's kind of hard when you live in rural Ireland without a choice of schools. Teaching a religion should be the job of a parent, not the educators

Then homeschool your children if you hate Catholicism that much.

Maybe it's lost on you but some of us have to work for a living

It's kind of hard when you live in rural Ireland without a choice of schools.

I’m not going to be smart with you, I’m going to genuinely suggest you take that up with the State, because it is whoever is currently in Government is responsible for the fact that you don’t have a choice of schools in rural Ireland in the same way as some people don’t have their choice of forever homes in urban Ireland.

Teaching a religion should be the job of a parent, not the educators

Again not going to be smart with you, but it’s up to the educators what type of education they will provide. It’s not the job of parents to tell educators what type of education they want their children to be provided with if the educators don’t provide that type of education.

Again I would suggest that you’re likely to have more success petitioning Government to have the State provide the type of education you want for your children, than expecting education providers who do not provide the type of education you want for your children, to be forced by Government to provide it.

Not my problem.

'Guys I sent my kids to the Islamic school and they're LEARNING ABOUT ISLAM!! WTF??!

If you're going to teach a religion teach them all, don't just focus on one

In my secondary (an evil Catholic school) we learned about different faiths.

Yes secondary schools have improved their ethos greatly. It's the primary schools that need to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

In my secondary (an evil Catholic school) we learned about different faiths.

But were indoctrinated in the Catholic faith, by the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I don't think it has anything to do with religion, More to the point that most people have friends and family members that have gone through divorce, I have a family member that has been through divorce, and know the suffering, we are just shortening the period of suffering faced by people divorcing, and rightly so. it is a tough time for people, most cases are in a miserable state, and need release from the ball and chain sooner

I'm not religious but I don't agree with that.
    If you don't like it take your kids out of the school.
    Or maybe let your kids decide for themselves.

If you're going to teach a religion teach them all, don't just focus on one

The whole point of religious ethos schools is that they are focused on providing education to the members of their own religious communities. They’re perfectly entitled to focus on their own religion.

The State certainly can’t say they shouldn’t, in spite of politicians making all sorts of nonsense declarations that they know will distract from other issues such as the failure that was to be the national children’s hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Not my problem.

'Guys I sent my kids to the Islamic school and they're LEARNING ABOUT ISLAM!! WTF??!

The ignorance on display here knows no bounds.

It would be more accurate to compare against.

"Guys I've only got Muslim schools provided in my area".

Other idiotic posters have suggested if it's a problem that people should home school. What planet are they on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Sad how Irish people are brainwashed into hating their own faith and culture.

Whatever. Enjoy your cold, lonely athetism. I'll enjoy the sense of community and belonging my faith gives me.

My local church is packed every Sunday btw. Try not to seethe too much :

Own faith and culture? Last time I checked being Irish had no pre requisite of adhering to any faith nor a culture defined by faith. Your local church must be the exception or has a very small capacity.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not religious but I don't agree with that.
    If you don't like it take your kids out of the school.
    Or maybe let your kids decide for themselves.

What let a 5 year old decide of he/she wasn't to study religion?

What let a 5 year old decide of he/she wasn't to study religion?

If some politicians in Ireland had their way, 5 year olds would be taught without their parents consent that they can decide their own sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

It is, isn’t it?

It's stupid because you can't help being Irish or a man, and those categories are insanely broad. People choose to support an organisation guilty of the abhorrent things the Catholic Church has done - that's where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In my secondary (an evil Catholic school) we are learning about different faiths.

Fixed your post so that it makes more sense.

• Advertisement

Grey Wind wrote: »
    It's stupid because you can't help being Irish or a man, and those categories are insanely broad. People choose to support an organisation guilty of the abhorrent things the Catholic Church has done - that's where the problem is.

But say you were involved or had children involved in the GAA or any other sporting organisation. As we know there has been plenty child sexual abuse in many of these organisations. If a person doesn't completely opt out then, does that mean by supporting the GAA, they support child abuse. Not in my book.

Advertisement