Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Ireland dead? **Mod Warning in Post #563**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The divorce referendum was in 1995. What does today's referendum have to do with the level of Catholicism in Ireland?

Ah come on, this is AH. The tenuous link between the referendum today and the RCC is more than enough to allow people to engage in a bit of RCC bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

lbc2019 wrote: »
    With that resounding 87% Yes in the exit poll for the divorce referendum surely that signifies the final nail in Catholic Ireland's coffin?

I for one am delighted.

Why are you delighted?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Good news:

“Islam is now listed by the CSO as being one of the fastest growing religions in Ireland.”

Something to look forward to in the future. In 20 or 30 years we will look back on these days as the calm before the storm.

Of course if you start with a very small number it will be fast growing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you don't believe core catholic beliefs then you are not a Catholic.

As determined by whom, you?

Phew, that’s ok then. For a minute there I thought the Catholic Church had changed it’s position and I hadn’t got the memo.

EDIT: Forgot to add - no OP, Catholic Ireland is very much alive. Don’t mistake apathy for acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

If you don't believe core catholic beliefs then you are not a Catholic.

Was always under the impression that the RCC refused to do that and they count every person who's ever been baptized as a RCC as a member for life.
    Of course if you start with a very small number it will be fast growing

Scientology is the same. 87 in the last census. 100+ next time round could easily be spun as fast growing, possibly the fastest in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

yeah but what about "the left"? Amiright? It's terrible joe. Just terrible.

Right, you are not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Change is good. Change is better. Progress always progess. No matter where it leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

It's with o Leary in the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A society displaying compassion and empathy, very little of do with Christianity tbh.
    TBH you haven't a clue. Check the policies of the man from Nazareth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

EDIT: Forgot to add - no OP, Catholic Ireland is very much alive. Don’t mistake apathy for acceptance.

The poor mass attendance seems to contradict this.

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote:
    TBH you haven't a clue. Check the policies of the man from Nazareth

You'll have to narrow it down a bit, I'm sure there's more than one lad from Nazareth. Maybe a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

buried wrote: »
    Seems the funeral wedding first communion confirmation aspect of it is well alive

Er that's more about the sandwiches and pints.

Er that's more about the sandwiches and pints.

Don't forget the money and fashion.

A society displaying compassion and empathy, very little of do with Christianity tbh.

How’s that Margaret Cash thread trucking along then? I haven’t bothered with it in a while when it became a thread to sneer at her and rip her life apart.

The poor mass attendance seems to contradict this.

That’s a good example of the apathy I mentioned earlier, not to be confused with acceptance.

You'll have to narrow it down a bit, I'm sure there's more than one lad from Nazareth. Maybe a name?

Jesus Christ...

No, seriously :p

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

lbc2019 wrote:
    With that resounding 87% Yes in the exit poll for the divorce referendum surely that signifies the final nail in Catholic Ireland's coffin?

There is no association between 'catholic Ireland' and this vote. Get a grip. Didn't you know we've had divorce in Ireland for some considerable time now.

How’s that Margaret Cash thread trucking along then? I haven’t bothered with it in a while when it became a thread to sneer at her and rip her life apart.
    No idea, care to explain the reference to here?
    Jesus Christ...
    Oh the lad from 2000 years ago, Nazareth is one of the largest cities in Israel so I was wondering who he was talking about. He did say policies so I thought it was a council official

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

When they have been excavated from the health system and school system we will be able to say Ireland is 'post Catholic'.

And for me when some form of functioning Assisted Dying legislation had been introduced then, and only then, will Ireland have become a post Catholic country.

TCM wrote: »
    There is no association between 'catholic Ireland' and this vote. Get a grip. Didn't you know we've had divorce in Ireland for some considerable time now.

And we've had the god botherers complaining about it ever since.

No idea, care to explain the reference to here?

Your idea that we are now a society of compassion and empathy where we apparently weren’t before. Society hasn’t changed at all - there’s still an authoritatian minority obsessed with punching down, and their targets haven’t changed either.

Oh the lad from 2000 years ago, Nazareth is one of the largest cities in Israel so I was wondering who he was talking about. He did say policies so I thought it was a council official

Edgeware was making the point in relation to Christ’s teachings. Come on, it wasn’t that difficult to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Change is good. Change is better. Progress always progess. No matter where it leads.
    I'm not one for Catholic bashing but I prefer a state not to be entwined with the church. If people want to practise of their own volition though, more power to then.

• Advertisement

Your idea that we are now a society of compassion and empathy where we apparently weren’t before. Society hasn’t changed at all - there’s still an authoritatian minority obsessed with punching down, and their targets haven’t changed either.
    So you referenced M Cash, ok I'll bite. She has never worked or contributed to society.Our society has looked after her very well. A house, free education for her children, medical care and a very generous cash allowance every week.
    Her lifestyle angers many who work everyday yet their wages do not allow them emulate her lifestyle. Again I don't get your reference of Cash
    Edgeware was making the point in relation to Christ’s teachings. Come on, it wasn’t that difficult to understand.

You assume everyone places importance in writings by multiple individuals over an extended timeframe with many contradictions.
    My point is easily defined as you do not need religion to tell you not to be a dick to others. Many societies have existed without 'Christian' values.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I haven't gone to mass since I was about 12. Just wasn't arsed with the whole thing. I haven't had bad experiences with the church or anything, just think organised religion is a load of bollix.
    What bugs me is adults thinking they're cool and right on running down other people's beliefs. You're not cool, you're a d**khead. You didn't have the balls to think for yourself when you were a teenager. Religion isn't a thing in real life. Most people don't give a crap. Think for yourself and don't be voting for sh*t because we're so "progressive ".

So you referenced M Cash, ok I'll bite. She has never worked or contributed to society.Our society has looked after her very well. A house, free education for her children, medical care and a very generous cash allowance every week.
    Her lifestyle angers many who work everyday yet their wages do not allow them emulate her lifestyle. Again I don't get your reference of Cash

You didn’t need to bite anything, genuinely. I wasn’t trying to bait you, I was just making the point that your opinion that we are now a society displaying compassion and empathy - we’re clearly not. Like I said, there are the same authoritarian minority now as there were then, and their compassion and empathy didn’t extend farther than the end of their own nose.

The vast majority of people in society were as apathetic then as they are now, and that’s why we now condemn the conditions in the workhouses as they were then, and some people imagine themselves now to be compassionate and empathetic. It’s clearly not true - society hasn’t changed at all, and the treatment of Margaret Cash is just an example of that, one among many.

You assume everyone places importance in writings by multiple individuals over an extended timeframe with many contradictions.
    My point is easily defined as you do not need religion to tell you not to be a dick to others. Many societies have existed without 'Christian' values.

I didn’t assume any such thing. I assumed that you would at least be aware of the person upon whose teachings Christianity is based. Other societies existing without Christianity are beside the point.

I do agree with you though that one doesn’t need religion to be a dick to others, many people are perfectly capable of being dicks to others without being motivated by religion, which brings us back to the point I made above that society has not changed at all in spite of your belief that we have become a more compassionate and empathetic society.

Actually I believe I said a society does not need to be Christian to show compassion or emphathy

Assuming someone knows what you are talking about or refering to is my opinion arrogance .

Actually I believe I said a society does not need to be Christian to show compassion or emphathy

Sure, I agree with you. But the original point you were making is that Ireland has become a more compassionate and empathetic society. I’m making the point that there is no shortage of evidence to demonstrate your belief is easily refutable.

Assuming someone knows what you are talking about or refering to is my opinion arrogance .

Now you’re just being silly. Do you need to check the thread title again for clarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Let's drink to death of all religions.

This was my first post here
    Sure, I agree with you. But the original point you were making is that Ireland has become a more compassionate and empathetic society. I’m making the point that there is no shortage of evidence to demonstrate your belief is easily refutable.
    . See my above post
    Now you’re just being silly. Do you need to check the thread title again for clarity?

I'm being silly in your opinion because I happen not to share your beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Dash_Of_Red

Great thing to see the Catholic Church's grip evaporating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Great thing to see the Catholic Church's grip evaporating.

It'll still have a place. For example, if you don't like gays, Catholicism provides a cover for that. Instead of saying you don't like gays, you can say that Leviticus disapproves and pretend that you've read the rest of it.

• Advertisement

I'm being silly in your opinion because I happen not to share your beliefs.

I gave you the reason why you’re being silly - it was perfectly clear from Edgeware’s post, and from the fact that you had made reference to Christianity, and from the title of the thread, that the person being referred to was Jesus of Nazareth.

You can pretend to be as dense as you like, but frankly I don’t believe anyone could possibly be so dense. It has nothing to do with whether or not you share my beliefs.

Advertisement