Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options
1107108109110111113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The "blocked cameras" thing is easily solved by having washer/wipers on all the cameras.

Which Tesla doesn't have 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So easy and yet Tesla doesn't do it. Does anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, apparently BMW iX, Chevy bolt, Mach-E, some etrons (did quick search until bored). Dunno how good they are. Also, lots of cars have headlight washers, it's hardly unobtainium tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So many cameras on the Tesla…

New Tesla buyer "I see I get a free towbar"

Dealer "Yes, that's for the washer bottle"

I'll get me coat…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Does not solve condensation which we get a lot of over damp Winter months, plus the current wipers can't even keep the windscreen clear nevermind the camera array at the top of the windscreen

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

so there would need to be heating and 100% reliable wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And maybe sunglasses for the low watery sun that we get here that blinds the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And some lidar and radar for the majority of driving here that isnt in clear (but not too blinding) sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,814 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the average age of each 'fleet' and would they take that into account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Interesting and nice to see, especially considering all the hyperbole around EVs these days with tales of €40k repair bills and such. One might infer that the eye watering bills that get the press are the exception rather than the rule but people still get dragged into thinking EVs will cost an arm and a leg if something happens and are near worthless as a second hand proposition.

I have a colleague who has owned a Model 3 for just over 3 years now and he has spent very little on it, other than maintenance and fuel.

Being a Tesla owner since 2020 I've put on one set of wiper blades, two cabin filter replacements and 4 tyres, these are unavoidable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am only a Tesla owner since March 2022, haven't yet spent a single cent on maintenance or repairs. But then again didn't spend anything on my previous ID.3, except for all the time cost of bringing the car into the dealership for updates etc.

Perhaps I should look into changing filter, rear tyres good for another 5k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair, both the ID3 and Tesla are new cars. New cars don’t require maintenance. You would have only spent €150 on a minor service for the equivalent petrol or diesel car.

Realistically the maintenance costs for ICE vs EV are basically the same for the first 3 years, especially considering both cars are under manufacturers warranty.

I’m seeing a lot of folks over on the EV owners page on FB servicing their EV’s every year to uphold their warranty. Is this a requirement for all EV manufacturers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some brands require a yearly check, Kia, Toyota for example require a yearly service to maintain the 10 year 1 million km warranty. Tesla do not require an official service but they do recommend filter changes and brake checks along with the usual mechanical components such as suspension to be checked. Basic car ownership checks that we all should be capable of.

Most ICE will require a bi-annual service if doing low to average mileage. I tend to do the oil and filter in the 530e every year though. Always have done in my cars except when I ran the Jap stuff. Every 6k back then using Motul oils etc costly but enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭innrain

For Hyundai Kona it is 15k km or 1 year whichever comes first. And the cost kept creeping up every time. 85/135/150/170.

A friend made an appointment on their website for a service and this is what they got back. I told them to walk which they did but still ended paying around 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,814 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@User1998 - "To be fair, both the ID3 and Tesla are new cars. New cars don’t require maintenance. You would have only spent €150 on a minor service for the equivalent petrol or diesel car."

On a Tesla there is no annual minor service. Or any scheduled service.

Tell my missus that, her over two year old Ioniq 5 required a 'service' last feb and she got some shock when Waterford Hyundai quoted €425. Of course she told them where to go and got the same service in Kilkenny less than half that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Don't even start me on that "family" of garages, we had matching Kona's both in for services within a few weeks of each other, one got a service for 110e, while my wife was being charged 350 for the same thing. Just because it was a female dropping it off they tried to pull the wool over her eyes in regards to the price.

same date as my M3, I changed air filter Sunday, it's on drivers side so ignore Tesla manual, it's in a whore of a place but all doable with time and patience, there are TWO filters so make sure you get two (I got mine from Tesla as just as cheap).

Lookup Will James and Kate on YT for RHD replacement guide

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

I'm shocked hearing those service costs.

My 2nd car is an Ioinq 28kw and I've serviced it twice (80 inc air filter, and 50) but it's due its last warrnty period service. Will see what they charge this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not true when it comes to accident repairs, which are so expensive low millage Y's are routinely written off for minor accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Ive been unfortunate of being involved in doing the same on an M3 a while ago.

To replace the filters, Tesla themselves were one of the cheaper suppliers I found (~25e). This is about the same price as other car manufacturers cabin filters. However, they are half the size of regular cabin filters, and you have to use two of them. So you are looking at double the cost of other car manufacturers.

Its great that Tesla give manuals for these operations themselves. https://service.tesla.com/docs/Public/diy/model3/en_us/GUID-DB0A1E3C-926E-498C-A2FD-A27B8421A471.html Unfortunately, they are for left-hand driving cars, not right. So the access for the cabin filters is through the cramped drivers footwell rather than the passengers footwell.

The same panels come out as described in the Tesla, but the steering column and pedals are giving you alot less room to do it. One of the T20 screws is high up on the filter, and has very little clearance around it. I had to use a ratchet with a T20 bit and adapter inserted, all while crawling in on my back through the drivers door. There are two (three?) panels that you have to remove and cables that you have to unclip and move out of the way. Then alot of wiggling of the filters tabs to take them out of their enclosure. Then you have to do it all over again in reverse to put everything back together.

I have had to do an Audi lately that was a dream in comparison. Two clips in the passengers footwell. Replace filter, put two clips back. Done.

Post edited by SchrodingersCat on

Here's the YT vid, it's very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla Q1 financials were awful, which was well expected and priced in. unconvincing for the SP at these levels, but this isn’t a stock that ever trades on its fundamentala.

Interestingly, the SP popped 10% in the after hours, which seems to be based solely on Musk selling the dream all over again.

all the non-car projects got a mention in the call - and it’s clear now that the model 2 is dead, so who knows what ‘cheaper cars’ means in terms of robotaxis or the old Y and 3. Reuters aren’t lying it seems.
    No time frames or flesh on the bones on any of the projects - musk said that if you don’t believe Tesla can successfully do AI, robots and FSD, that you shouldn’t hold the stock - so I guess all the believers piled in

Will be interesting to see what the institutions do on the opening today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭sk8board

looks like Tesla are going down the Uber route, to introduce more people to FSD, via ride-sharing but not driverless.
    it’s interesting, but probably this is actually what “robotaxi 8/8” actually meant 🙄

https://x.com/TroyTeslike/status/1782934404727271670

Advertisement