Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Charmeleon wrote: »
    One of the big questions for me is when did the hotel get the letter looking for 20k? Was it after the 10K race? If it was after, it starts to look like she picked herself up and didn’t think too much about her foolish ‘look, no hands’ antics until after she ran the 10K. Then something changed that made her realise there was compo to be had.

Clearly, team Bailey thought a showdown on the courtroom steps would deliver the goods and it would never make it any further. She practically spells that out on the car-crash radio interview. She gets a payday, nothing goes public and the legal team get their fees.

The legal process is slow. It could be 12 months after the accident before that letter was sent, it certainly wasn’t before 3 weeks

Even if she fell off the seat and went into the solicitors the next day it wouldn’t have happened that quick....

My guess would be circa 12 months at least before the letter was sent....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Our TD's also don't tend to resign either.

Up until 2014 just 7 TDs had resigned in 85 years. Although, since then I think 4 more have resigned. Carol Nolan, Peter Fitzpatrick, Denis Naughten and Peadar Tóibín. 3 of those were to do with the Eight Ammendment.

Patrick Nulty resigned around then too

is_that_so wrote: »
    It eventually bypassed the PIAB and MB went for court so the Madigan involvement is moot and there's a lot more than just submitting a claim form, based on these forms.

https://www.piab.ie/eng/forms-guidelines/

Hardly moot, she completed the form and might have been there.

If Madigan didnt complete the form it wouldnt have been on the way to court. An injury has to go to Injuries Board, Dean rejected their assessment, Bailey on advice then went the court route

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The legal process is slow. It could be 12 months after the accident before that letter was sent, it certainly wasn’t before 3 weeks

Even if she fell off the seat and went into the solicitors the next day it wouldn’t have happened that quick....

My guess would be circa 12 months at least before the letter was sent....

But when did The Dean send her €600 (or was it an offer of €600?)

She falls off swing and goes to reception for plasters.
    The Dean probably record this in accident book at this time or reception at least notifies management of what’s happened.

So did The Dean as an act of goodwill send her €600 near the time of the fall?

If any indo journalists are reading this thread, could you publish all dates that you know? Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Charmeleon wrote: »
    One of the big questions for me is when did the hotel get the letter looking for 20k? Was it after the 10K race? If it was after, it starts to look like she picked herself up and didn’t think too much about her foolish ‘look, no hands’ antics until after she ran the 10K. Then something changed that made her realise there was compo to be had.

Clearly, team Bailey thought a showdown on the courtroom steps would deliver the goods and it would never make it any further. She practically spells that out on the car-crash radio interview. She gets a payday, nothing goes public and the legal team get their fees.

If something wasn't right, she most likely wouldn't have ran the race in such good time. Unless she was some seasoned ru. We that would normally do 10k I'm 5-10 mins less. 53 mins is some going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bunderoon wrote: »
    If something wasn't right, she most likely wouldn't have ran the race in such good time. Unless she was some seasoned ru. We that would normally do 10k I'm 5-10 mins less. 53 mins is some going.
    But it wasnt a good time for ME SEAN!!!!

is_that_so wrote: »
    With the investigation and report completed there's no real reason to look at that. MB didn't proceed with the PIAB so anything in court is of her own making.

The Dean rejected Injuries Board assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Paid the price?

On the face of it, she "fibbed" on a sworn affidavit to financially benefit herself, and fibbed to her Taoiseach and the media about what happened before and afterwards.

This is in direct contrast to her party claiming to clamp down on the compensation culture, and spurious claims, and what knock on affect this has to private citizens and businesses within the state.

She got off scott free so far as I'm concerned.

Maria Bailey has paid the price for political foot in mouth, it’s time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Paid the price?

On the face of it, she "fibbed" on a sworn affidavit to financially benefit herself, and fibbed to her Taoiseach and the media about what happened before and afterwards.

This is in direct contrast to her party claiming to clamp down on the compensation culture, and spurious claims, and what knock on affect this has to private citizens and businesses within the state.

Maria Bailey has paid the price for political foot in mouth, it’s time to move on

Maria is the real victim in all of this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mike_cork wrote: »
    Maria is the real victim in all of this :rolleyes:
    She was GENUINELY hurt Sean....GENUINELY!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Paid the price?

I guess we found another one who was on the piss with Maria that night.

I think most people (including your average card-carrying FG member) would accept that at a minimum she should lose the party whip. In most western democracies she would have done the honorable thing and resigned.
    Instead we have a situation where she’s playing the “I’m a victim” card and you have her supporters in the press saying she’s suffered enough.
    To say its infuriating as a heavily taxed average joe would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

inforfun wrote: »
    Paid the price?

I guess we found another one who was on the piss with Maria that night.
    Very poor form to use the death of her father as a reason why we should move on. The majority of people in life will lose loved ones at some stage, it doesn't excuse wrongdoings.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The majority of people in life will lose loved ones at some stage.

the majority??

reminds me of that flaming lips lyric "do you realize everyone you know, someday, will die"

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know
    You realize that life goes fast
    It's hard to make the good things last
    You realize the sun doesn't go down
    It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

class song !

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Very poor form to use the death of her father as a reason why we should move on. The majority of people in life will lose loved ones at some stage, it doesn't excuse wrongdoings.

She also used her gender and status as a mother to defend her wrong doing.
    It's disgusting when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Paid the price?

The whole piece seems to forget one very important thing...
    There is a just outcome that hasn't happened.

People will not let go until it happens.

The nonsense of "she's suffered enough" is not a form of justice no matter how many people try and wrap it as such.

The longer this is allowed to roll on, the bigger it becomes and the larger the corrective action will need to be.
    If dealt with swiftly and correctly, it would already be old news. Now it looks like it could take out more individuals and perhaps the entire government.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the majority??

reminds me of that flaming lips lyric "do you realize everyone you know, someday, will die"

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes, let them know
    You realize that life goes fast
    It's hard to make the good things last
    You realize the sun doesn't go down
    It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

class song !

I loved the late great Bernard Manning's take on smoking

100 percent of non smokers will effing die!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mike_cork wrote: »
    She also used her gender and status as a mother to defend her wrong doing.
    It's disgusting when you think about it.

There's no line, no angle, nothing a person like Maria Bailey won't hesitate to chance because she doesn't care about little things like the truth, or the concerns of other citizens or ordinary voters.
    It's just what she thinks she will get away with. Don't you know she is an important person carrying out important work. She is the essential person to carry out this important work and you are getting in the way of this important work with your trifling concerns.

"Humanity has been crossed."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Official Ireland rallying around poor Bailey.
    Alison O Connor and the rest of the establishment journalists have had their fun out of Bailey but now want to move it on unless they offend Leo and pals too much. It's more important to keep inside the cosy circle in Dail Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Too many people in this thread never grew up on the sidelines of a GAA pitch, yer all playing off-side.

• Advertisement

The reason why I am so p****** off about this whole thing/why I’ve been posting on the thread quite a bit is because I have a horse in this race so to speak.
    When I was in secondary school I fractured my skull during a soccer game-It was an accident. I did not sue the school despite being urged too as I didn’t feel it was the honorable thing to do. I still stand over that decision.
    Should I have claimed off the school and probably won thousands like Bailey attempted to do? She fell on her arse drunk and was trying to shake down the hotel for 20K.
    I suffered a serious head injury but did the decent thing and accepted accidents happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've broke a leg, arm, hand, and my wrist. The leg was the worst one and it was on a badly maintained pitch in the winter. Still have some psychological difficulty to this day landing on it. Did the thought of suing ever cross my mind? No because the club is a valuable asset to the community giving a social outlet to hundreds of people and bringing joy to many lives. I have no doubt there would be a case there but it would cripple the club financially and I have morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I really couldn't give 2 ****s what Alison O'Connor thinks.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Everyone's still talking about this, it's still be discussed on the radio, it's coming up in normal daily conversation. Fine Gael must know at this stage that it's not going away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

If MB had held her hands up as soon as the story broke, said she made an error in judgment on the back of some poor advice and withdrew the claim then this would be forgotten by now. It's the brazenness of her trying to make excuses and play the victim that rankles me, even more than her spurious attempt to get money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

If MB had held her hands up as soon as the story broke, said she made an error in judgment on the back of some poor advice and withdrew the claim then this would be forgotten by now. It's the brazenness of her trying to make excuses and play the victim that rankles me, even more than her spurious attempt to get money.
    That and the fact that Fine Gael are willing to have her in the parliamentary party. If she was shown the door when this came up first they could have made a positive out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

What an awful article from O'Connor

I really wonder would she have the same opinion if the story was about a male politician?

Leo was correct not to take the party whip from Bailey? Many wouldn't think so

Poor Maria. Sure in the past the story would have died down and controversy only ran for a few weeks

Maria was just unfortunate in the timing coming to light at a time when everyone feels so annoyed at the ridiculously expensive insurance premiums we’re paying and taht she is FG the party that should be clamping down on insurance claims

I for one am sure happy that a FG review found that she overstated” the impact of injuries she suffered yet didn't attempt to mislead

Sure she only wanted medical expenses of €7k yet we now know she demanded €20k from the hotel

Danged social media for keeping things in the spotlight and keeping the public flogging going

I have every sympathy that she lost her father. However that is irrelevant to this story and shouldn't have been used as an excuse for the leniency of taking away the Oireachtas commitee by Leo or used by Alison

How dare Fergus O'Dowd actually say he doesn't think she should represent Fg in the next election. Bad boy Fergus. She has already been selected to run for Fine Gael in Dun Laoghaire.

Hasn't she suffered enough? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Broke my arm in youth club playing indoor hockey on a concrete floor when I was about 12.

Did not go into hospital straight away as did not realise it was broke and when we did go in I need an operation to re-break and set properly.

I missed out on the school swimming trials later due to the cast and a potential place on the Irish olimpic team and gold medal!!!

Don't even think we asked for even the price of petrol into the hospital from the youth club, or the school hall they used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I really couldn't give 2 ****s what Alison O'Connor thinks.

That fawning article from Alison o'Connor really reminds me of the type of guff journalists write about political parties when they are targeting one of those nice €120k jobs as an advisor to a Minister.
    SexBobomb wrote: »
    Too many people in this thread never grew up on the sidelines of a GAA pitch, yer all playing off-side.

I wonder did Maria rehearse her GAA/offside line the previous night and think to herself 'Im really clever at the soundbites'. I also wonder what the converstation was like between her and the 'PR guru' when they were walking out of RTE from the Sean O'Rourke car crash. I have visions of Father Ted-' Well I thought that went well' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Agreed.

What I found bizarre was that it seems that the SOR interview was not advised/sanctioned by the party. For that alone, a true leader would have let MB go. No balls in the leadership here.....as much as I dislike Trump, no way he would have tolerated this 'one man show' from Bailey...

Her doing the interview damaged the party even more, and to find out that this interview was not sanctioned, well.....

The buck stops with Leo here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement