Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote:
    Topic sentence in my post referred to privacy issue. Second offered exposition on that comment. That you chose to view it as something else is a communication failure on both our parts!

No I think you choose to view in a certain fashion to dismiss the comment made about Bailey's attempt at enriching herself to the tune of 20k. However it those illustrate you are far from the unbiased observer you would people to think you are. Have a good one, I wouldn't be engaging further with someone who behaves in the manner you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No I think you choose to view in a certain fashion to dismiss the comment made about Bailey's attempt at enriching herself to the tune of 20k. However it those illustrate you are far from the unbiased observer you would people to think you are. Have a good one, I wouldn't be engaging further with someone who behaves in the manner you have.
    Engaging is hardly the word I would use but see you round.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To be fair I think you lost the argument a long time ago.

What argument?

Fact: Leo did not accuse MB of lying....that is all I ever said....

Certain posters couldn't grasp the simplicity of that, and went off on ludicrous tangents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

walshb wrote: »
    What argument?

Certain posters couldn't grasp the simplicity of that, and went off on ludicrous tangents.

Leo didn't do a lot of things - that's why the thread has gone on as long as it has. He is a huge part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What argument?

He used very diplomatic, over convoluted words to imply she was not being entirely truthful though.

He did, but he didn't kinda way

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leo didnt have to say that she lied... its been shown already even before the internal report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

is_that_so wrote: »
    Engaging is hardly the word I would use but see you round.

What’s going on here?

Around 9 every morning you start with this crap. Then you reply to posts within minutes all day long. Is this your job in FG. Are you the head honcho of the spin-monkey team…the ‘el Jefe’ monkey as it were?

It was like Lanigan’s ball around here for a while with the other monkeys stepping in and out. They’ve all faded into the background. What did you say to them. ‘Lads, back off. I’ve got this now. Don’t thank my posts’?

What are you trying to achieve in the thread. Do you think you’ll be able to change anyone’s mind here or are you just doing your job knowing it’s a lost cause?

Personally, I think you’re doing more damage to FG than good (which is fine afaic) It’s showing them up as the spin obsessed party that they are. But the thing is, they’re not very good at it!

Spin-monkeys. An initiative of the government of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What argument?

Sorry but I have no idea what your point is. Leo cannot come out now after 3 months and say she lied. It would be a PR disaster for him. Never mind Bailey....he might as well hand in his notice in this case.

If Bailey was 100% correct and she never lied would he have removed the role from her with a loss of wages?

Did Leo come out and say "Maria Bailey lied"....no and he never can
    What he did say:

"There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events to me and the media that I cannot reconcile", Leo added.

What exactly does that statement mean to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

“Jesus, they are asking who signed the letter looking for 20K again, six more pages of arguing about grammar coming up!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Indo has really got it in for Madigan.
    Now it's Nimbyism;
    Link;

• Advertisement

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Now it's Nimbyism;
    Link;

Anything that has the clown Paul Murphy and has a quote from him should be automatically deleted.....

You think Leo is bad, he is a pure gangster......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Anything that has the clown Paul Murphy and has a quote from him should be automatically deleted.....

You think Leo is bad, he is a pure gangster......

What about a doctor;
    Dr Gareth McGovern, Medical Director of the Priority Medical Clinic, has accused her of nimbyism or 'not in my back yard'.

Dr McGovern said: "I mean the disturbing part of this that upset me somewhat was that she was rejoicing in the fact that she had blocked it happening.

"It's huge nimbyism, isn't it?"

From the Irish Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's kind of sad the way FG are now pretty much resigned to the fact the MB is very likely gone next GE and are now circling the wagons around Madigan.
    They must realise that they handled the MB case so badly, that it jumped out their hands (tbh, they never had it), grew legs and allowed the public to see others were involved. Now Madigan is coming under fire from a few directions. Not sure she will be able to sit in silence throughout this either.
    I don't know how her own constituency rate her, but again it may rely on others to do their voting for them.

Out of Curiosity, when was the photo in Madigans letter head taken, 1982?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/madigan-methadone-centre-ballinteer-4748264-Jul2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Floppybits

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Now it's Nimbyism;
    Link;

That didn't take long. The hunt for Madigans head is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Gen.Zhukov - yellow card for ignoring mod instruction to knock off the shilling discussion.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He used very diplomatic, over convoluted words to imply she was not being entirely truthful though.

He did, but he didn't kinda way

Agreed...

Suckit wrote: »

That seems to be standard practise for FG

Local FG guy here got pulled up on it.....he was using a photo for a good 10 years before on everything.......

Then he released a statement saying he was doing it for the environment because he could re-use his posters :P the problem with that was everyone in the area had requested no posters be used at all for the election as it was ruining the enviornment but also the country side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

"There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events to me and the media that I cannot reconcile"

As an aside, this was particularly silly thing for Leo to say. It invites any journo to specifically ask Leo what were the inconsistencies that cannot be reconciled. It actively invites an analysis that concludes that there was likely to lying going on. Shows the amateur hour nature of FG's response.

boombang wrote: »
    "There have been inconsistencies in Deputy Bailey's account of events to me and the media that I cannot reconcile"

As an aside, this was particularly silly thing for Leo to say. It invites any journo to specifically ask Leo what were the inconsistencies that cannot be reconciled. It actively invites an analysis that concludes that there was likely to lying going on. Shows the amateur hour nature of FG's response.

It’s putting all the responsibility for the ‘inconsistencies’ squarely on one person. Takes the heat off other people.

Has the €20,000 demand letter been published? I wonder who's heading is at the top and who's signature is at the bottom?

I’d love if the indo published some dates of all the events.

When she fell off swing
    When The Dean sent her €600
    When €600 was returned and letter requesting €20000
    When piab application was made.
    When the dean rejected dealing with piab.
    When the dean was told the matter was going to court.
    When court proceedings started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That seems to be standard practise for FG

Local FG guy here got pulled up on it.....he was using a photo for a good 10 years before on everything.......

Then he released a statement saying he was doing it for the environment because he could re-use his posters :P the problem with that was everyone in the area had requested no posters be used at all for the election as it was ruining the enviornment but also the country side

FF Councillor Trevor Gilligan had 4 different posters for the recent local elections. I just Googled it to see if I could find the the posters and this is what I found....

D47RtaqWkAAeOtp.jpg_large.jpg

this was the pic for the fourth poster.....

w2HJ66Wu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has the €20,000 demand letter been published? I wonder who's heading is at the top and who's signature is at the bottom?

This is the burning question. But even if the letter was written by Madigan and signed by her she'll deny that she approved it, just as she has done this morning with the methadone letter to her constituents. She has lost all credibility now after sending out a letter with her photo on the header and then when called out by a GP shes claiming 'I didn't approve it', basically throwing her staff member under the bus. It is a political communication to her constituents, my hole she didnt approve it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This is the burning question. But even if the letter was written by Madigan and signed by her she'll deny that she approved it, just as she has done this morning with the methadone letter to her constituents. She has lost all credibility now after sending out a letter with her photo on the header and then when called out by a GP shes claiming 'I didn't approve it', basically throwing her staff member under the bus. It is a political communication to her constituents, my hole she didnt approve it :rolleyes:

It's Freeman level nonsense, like "I did not approve it" are magic words to evade responsibility. Have to start trying that with any bills I get. ESB may have thought I agreed to pay them for power when I signed up with them, they'll be so disappointed when I tell them that in fact "I did not approve it".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Here is a line from Leo's statement
    The inquiry concludes that it is unlikely that a court would conclude that she deliberately sought to mislead as other legal documents talk about her running being restricted rather than not being able to run at all.

What other legal documents could these be?

Can Leo or his SC Kennedy decide what the courts would conclude and yet not publish these 'other legal documents'?

So many holes...I mean she lied in the affidavit but corrected those lies somehow in 'other legal documents'????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Suckit wrote: »
    It's kind of sad the way FG are now pretty much resigned to the fact the MB is very likely gone next GE and are now circling the wagons around Madigan.
    They must realise that they handled the MB case so badly, that it jumped out their hands (tbh, they never had it), grew legs and allowed the public to see others were involved. Now Madigan is coming under fire from a few directions. Not sure she will be able to sit in silence throughout this either.
    I don't know how her own constituency rate her, but again it may rely on others to do their voting for them.

I love that the excuse for this is that she didn't approve the wording of the letter.

Despite using the same excuse a couple of years ago when another newsletter blew up over a Traveller issue.

One would imagine that of an error occured in your offices public communication, that led to a PR issue and that you then blamed on a lack of oversight and approval?

That you would take measures to ensure adequate oversight and approval existed to ensure it didn't occur again.

Mistakes happen, often they are due to unforeseen circumstances.
    When the same "mistake" happens more than once, a systemic issue is at play.
    When the same excuse is offered for that mistake, the systemic issue at play is the shot caller!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

As someone who voted Fine Gael for 20+ years, I am astounded how much I am starting to detest them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was no mistake, those type of leaflets go out about once a month so it is inconceivable that she would allow her name, photo and signature be associated with a document she hadnt read. If that is the truth then she truly is incompetent.

But the plain and simple truth is it was Madigan doing a nimby dog whistle to her constituents in south Dublin and now shes been called out on it her instant reaction is to blame someone else. She doesn't even have the balls to defend it and instead throws one of her staff members under the bus. It is cowardice in a pure and naked form.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Muahahaha wrote: »
    She doesn't even have the balls to defend it and instead throws one of her staff members under the bus. It is cowardice in a pure and naked form.

Mad that not so long ago on this thread someone had said that MB had done precisely that to JM isn't it?

I wonder how the FG double speakers will spin this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I’d love if the indo published some dates of all the events.

When she fell off swing
    When The Dean sent her €600
    When €600 was returned and letter requesting €20000
    When piab application was made.
    When the dean rejected dealing with piab.
    When the dean was told the matter was going to court.
    When court proceedings started.

See here.

Timeline: The minister and the swing case
    May 23, 2014: Fine Gael's Josepha Madigan and Maria Bailey win seats on Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

July 10, 2015: Maria Bailey falls off a swing in The Dean Hotel.

August 3: Ms Bailey runs 'The Bay 10k' in 53 minutes. Despite this, later court papers from the claim say that she "could not run at all for three months post-accident".

February 26: Both Ms Madigan and Ms Bailey are elected to the D. During Ms Madigan's time as a backbench TD she gave Ms Bailey initial legal advice and helped her with a Personal Injuries Assessment Board application.

2017: Ms Madigan leaves Madigans Solicitors in June and is appointed minister in November.

May 20, 2019: The Irish Independent reveals how Ms Bailey lodged a compensation claim against The Dean Hotel.

May 21: Ms Madigan refuses to comment on the Bailey case for the first time.

May 25: The Irish Independent reveals details of Ms Bailey's 10km run and it emerges later that day that Ms Bailey is dropping the case.

May 27: Ms Bailey's infamous interview with RTs Sean O'Rourke. She says that she took legal advice and was "told I had a clear-cut case". She refuses to say if Ms Madigan was involved in advising her.

May 29: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar brings in senior council David Kennedy to investigate Ms Bailey's claim.

May 30: Fianna F leader MicheMartin calls on Ms Madigan to be "candid" on any role she played.

July 10: Ms Madigan says she is "very satisfied" with what Mr Kennedy's report says about her but won't comment on the case due to "client-solicitor confidentiality".

July 23: The Taoiseach releases a statement on Mr Kennedy's report into the Bailey case. He 'demotes' Ms Bailey from her position as Housing Committee chair.

July 24: Ms Madigan declines to answer a series of questions posed by the Irish Independent about her involvement in the case.

July 25: The Cabinet meets in Donegal. Ms Madigan ignored journalists as she arrived.

• Advertisement

One of the big questions for me is when did the hotel get the letter looking for 20k? Was it after the 10K race? If it was after, it starts to look like she picked herself up and didn’t think too much about her foolish ‘look, no hands’ antics until after she ran the 10K. Then something changed that made her realise there was compo to be had.

Clearly, team Bailey thought a showdown on the courtroom steps would deliver the goods and it would never make it any further. She practically spells that out on the car-crash radio interview. She gets a payday, nothing goes public and the legal team get their fees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement