Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Point out where I've been incorrect about any factual matter and I'll gladly revise my post.

Didn't you say Bailey did nothing corrupt and there wasn't anything illegal in her actions?

Pretty sure that's incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Didn't you say Bailey did nothing corrupt and there wasn't anything illegal in her actions?

I'm not so sure.
    Is it not the place of a court to decide corruption or illegality? Anything else is just opinion... and we all know what they're like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

is_that_so wrote: »
    They can't really remove the whip as that potentially leaves two who might vote against the government. Forcing them to resign creates a further headache of another two by-elections. You'll just have to wait til the election when they can deselect people.

Of course they can don't be silly, it just doesn't suit party interests.
    Party uber alles and fcuk the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'm not so sure.
    Is it not the place of a court to decide corruption or illegality? Anything else is just opinion... and we all know what they're like...

To be convicted? Absolutely.

But when you go on air and admit you "made mistakes" as to the extent of your injuries, what damages you were seeking, and proclaim a judge would need "to adjudicate" whether or not you had something in each hand, followed closely by your very own party's internal report concluding you "overstated the extent of your injuries" I'm happy enough to stick with my opinion - which I would guess I'm not alone in having.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of course they can don't be silly, it just doesn't suit party interests.
    Party uber alles and fcuk the people.
    Hmm a Godwin reference! Any party would be exactly the same. Losing the whip or expulsion is only for voting against the party.

• Advertisement

Im sure the poster in question, in quite a shouty post claimed that Farrell went to court and won his case.

Hmm a Godwin reference! Any party would be exactly the same. Losing the whip or expulsion is only for voting against the party.

That's more or less what I was saying. Fraud, deception, taking brown envelopes is all acceptable behaviour for fine gale TD's as long as it doesn't hurt the party and to hell with the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Big picture?

Both parties have failed dramatically the last twenty years. Staggeringly massive failures. We’ve lurched from disaster to disaster with little respite.

It’s astonishing people have always been stuck with one of the other on repeat.
    I can see that changing dramatically this coming GE. FG are going to be decimated

REALLY hope you are right with your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Ok you’re in la la land.
    The homeless crisis will just go away?

No. It’s going to a acellerate at an increasing speed. Are you even from here??)

I’m convinced this OP is either a fger or a troll for them.

I’m convinced this OP is either a fger or a troll for them.
    OP is the first post or original post or poster and I think you want the word "shill" here, not troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Point out where I've been incorrect about any factual matter and I'll gladly revise my post.

You’re coming across as a shyt stirrer so you better be prepared to lick the spoon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

You’re coming across as a shyt stirrer so you better be prepared to lick the spoon.

Classy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

It speaks ill of her character that she sued. She cemented doubts about her character with the SOR interview. I would imagine had she done this in the UK she would have resigned. Irish TDs don't do resigning. It damages FGs credibility having her in the party. Despite the likes of Lowry and Wallace I expect this term is the end of her career as a TD.
    Dubious insurance claims will continue to be lodged and encouraged as long as

1. The awards are high
    2. The onus is on the defendant to disprove a claim not the plaintiff to prove the claim.
    3. The legal gravy train is incentivised by high legal costs.
    4. Bogus claimants are not pursued and punished for making spurious clams.

Ideally bogus claimants should have to pay the defendant the expected claim awarded given the circumstances of the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Suckit wrote: »
    He did win a seat, didn't he?

yeah I was thinking ahead.
    Is that a thing?

Well I know a FG councillor who gave her seat to her daughter after she became a TD.

yeah I was thinking ahead.

Well I know a FG councillor who gave her seat to her daughter after she became a TD.
    She was listed as an alternate so. They all do that and it saves on by elections. Casey had his own wife down for the Euros!

She was listed as an alternate so. They all do that and it saves on by elections. Casey had his own wife down for the Euros!

That doesn't make it any better.
    All I can tell you is the daughter had no previous public experience and could barely read and write. She actually sent out emails with horrendous spelling and she eventually quit because she was so in over her head.
    Take the hint Maria...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm sorry for Maria Bailey's loss.

Maybe focusing the thread on Farrell for the next few days would be productive?

boombang wrote: »
    I'm sorry for Maria Bailey's loss.

Maybe focusing the thread on Farrell for the next few days would be productive?

We're commenting on her role in her claim and her being a politician. If she steps down, sure.

All I can tell you is the daughter had no previous public experience and could barely read and write. She actually sent out emails with horrendous spelling and she eventually quit because she was so in over her head.
    Take the hint Maria...
    No, but that's how the process works. Candidates choose their own alternates. There may be some party "input" but they can pick who they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ah come on, up the standard of posting please.

dudara

• Advertisement

No, but that's how the process works. Candidates choose their own alternates. There may be some party "input" but they can pick who they like.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. It happens, how common or garden it is doesn't change anything. Nobody said it was scam. Likely Bailey knew if the worse happened his seat would pass to someone. That's the answer to a question posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Take the hint Maria...
    That started happening when the Dual Mandate was abolished.

They used to sit in council seats and be a TD :mad:. Jesus they got away with some horrible shit right in front of us, and it still wasn't enough, they still did a lot worse.

Slowly, we are making it less easy for them, very slowly.

There are plenty of councillors sitting right now that had zero interest in politics before they were given a seat and then shown how they are to sit in it, and they often get re elected. shrug.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Pedro K wrote: »
    My dad died in 2012. Does this mean I have one unused free pass at exaggerating injuries to get more money from an insurance company?

LOL.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

LOL.

That would be Lots Of Lucre in fg speak I assume 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is Leo running scared on telling us that he is going to do bugger all to discipline Maria Bailey? His two week inquiry has now turned into six and he said he would make a statement this week but he still hasnt. Maybe he'll drop it at 5.30pm on Friday in the hope of doing a runner on it before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is Leo running scared on telling us that he is going to do bugger all to discipline Maria Bailey? His two week inquiry has now turned into six and he said he would make a statement this week but he still hasnt. Maybe he'll drop it at 5.30pm on Friday in the hope of doing a runner on it before the weekend.

I think in the circumstances doing anything in the last 6 weeks would have been unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

STB. wrote: »
    I think in the circumstances doing anything in the last 6 weeks would have been unfair.

Why? Was it known her father was that ill? The local elections were only 6 weeks ago, so (I am guessing) he must have seemed healthy-ish. At last healthy enough to do some small canvassing and run for the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why? Because of her father's illness and passing?

As I said previously, I sympathise with her and the family's loss and I think (trolls on Twitter aside), most people would feel the same way.

But that doesn't take away from her actions here or the need for FG to take action based on the findings of a report they themselves commissioned - and which I'm sure they'd be shouting about if there was no substance to the allegations made against her. That's speculation on my part yes, but as Leo is doing his best to avoid publishing it, we can only infer.

Just because she and her family have suffered a personal loss that we can all feel sorry for, it doesn't clean the slate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Her case is from years ago. What's happening now is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you're going with this. It happens, how common or garden it is doesn't change anything. Nobody said it was scam. Likely Bailey knew if the worse happened his seat would pass to someone. That's the answer to a question posed.
    The election rules for locals and Euros requires that candidates provide a list of alternates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement