Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hansons Method

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WicksSmith

Hi all. Week 1 finished off yesterday for the Advanced HMP. Actually week 2 as week 1 was all easy running and I felt I had enough of a base to go straight into Week 2.

Went well, found the speed session the easiest strangely enough. The Tempo was tough but I didn't pace it very well, went far to fast the last mile of 3. Something I'll need to work on.

For my easy runs I've decided to forget about pace and just stay in zone 2. Actually one of the easy runs last week was spot on average pace wise with the slow easy aerobic A run paces given in the book so all good there.

A question though that's bothering me a bit. For the Long run pace, the 'moderate pace' long run not the easy pace long run. What should my pace be?

I'm going for a 1:38 half. When I look at table 3.5 it says 8:29/mile but in the column beside that it gives the tempo pace as 7:49/mile. A 1:38 half is 7:29/mile?? So if I go HMP+40 seconds like I've seen a few mention here then should my moderate long run pace not be then 8:09/mile? The table is really confusing.

Still using the digital version as I actually ordered the physical copy of the Marathon plan rather than the Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Judging by the Luke Humphrey calculator 1:38 would be 7:29 for the tempos, as you say, and the steady long runs would be done at 8:20-8:30 pace. It's MP + 40-50 secs, not HMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WicksSmith

Thanks Sandwell. I'm thinking at this stage I'm probably better off using that calculator for my paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Hi Folks,

I've been following this thread with interest for the last few weeks as I have decided, five years after buying the book, to take the plunge and train for Boston marathon using this plan. Background: for the last two years, I have been running 6/7 days a week, topping out at around 115k for the heaviest marathon training week, so I have no worries about the number of days training in the plan. My PB is 3:15 from a number of year back, but more recently, I did 3:16 in DCM 22 to qualify for Boston and paced 3:30 in DCM 23. I am being perhaps a tad ambitious in setting a 3:10 target for myself. Looking at the plan, I guess the thing that causes most anxiety is the Thursday tempos at MP, with maybe the long runs being next on the list.

If you hae one tip for someone starting in to this plan, what would it be ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TheRef

Avoid my mistakes 😂

I didn't practice my fueling near enough in training as the longest run isn't "that long". I could get away with 2 gels for the 16m when I should have gone with 4-5 just to get my body used to taking them again. I don't think I took any "during" Thursdays tempo run.

Be careful of the taper. 10 days was not enough for me.

Follow the paces listed in the book as they are described - particularly Easy Aerobic A & B.

Even though you may be be quite fatigued, I guess especially with Boston, don't avoid the hills.

Also agree with Lazare - my approach to sleep has completely changed since I started Hanson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,368 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This. The plan starts on a Thursday after three days rest for a reason. It's amazing how many people don't notice the significance of that.

Hi P (we met at the expo) - if you can pace 3:30 in Dublin with the usual buffer you can race it far faster than 3:16, as I suspect you know. For you (like everyone), it will be all about computing the right training paces based off an honest appraisal of recent racing history. Get that right and the Hanson approach will pay off - as will any reasonably scientific approach, to be honest.

I don't think any well trained runner should fear a marathon paced session, and certainly not a long 'fast easy' run - expect it to be tough, yes, in the context of everything else you are doing, but anything under LT effort should always feel achievable if you've got the paces right. If you're training even a second per mile too fast, it's a different story of course.

Good luck!

Starts on Thursday after three day's rest? According to the book, there's a speed/strength session on Tuesday and never less than 10 easy kms on Mondays.

Hi Murph!! Pacing wise, I was a last minute jump up from 3:40 to 3:30 so it wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked :-)

Regarding paces, I think I have them correct, based on the tables in the book (paces in KM):

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Lazare

Your strength paces are off. Should be around 4:20.

I targeted 3:10 too, here's my own paces.

Easy and recovery I went by HR and were generally slower than yours, averaging about 5:40 for easy, and 6:00 for recovery. 5:08 seems too hot I think.

Long was 4:55 - 5:00

Tempo - 4:30

Strength - 4:20

Speed - 4:00 - 4:05 (I went closer to 10k pace with these rather than 5k)

Cool, thanks for pointing that out. I must have read from the wrong line in the table. I would tend to agree also on the easy and very easy paces. 5:08 seems a bit fast to be easy.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks for pointing that out. I must have read from the wrong line in the table. I would tend to agree also on the easy and very easy paces. 5:08 seems a bit fast to be easy.

My own version of the book starts on the Thursday of week 1. Maybe other or later versions have changed that (and probably some of the online only versions). But I always thought the Thursday start was a deliberate prod towards thinking of the plan starting every week on the Thurs after the rest day, a point I was chatting to @Lazare about just the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Interesting. I have been wondering how I can fit a bit more mileage into my week generally. One of the options is to up my easy pace a tad and therefore get a k or so more in for each run as I am maxed out for time and I'm going to dedicate a day to go to the gym from the new year.

I had always though I took my easy days on the slow side of easy and I had the scope to up it a bit. Similar to you I would be somewhere around 5.40 for easy in Z2. I was thinking, based on HR that I could probably go to 5.15/20 looking at the stats but since you are faster than me and you are still working off 5.40 it's made me think a bit.

The calculators all tend to give quite a wide range, strava for example says I can be just sub 5 min/k for easy....... If I keep to effort like I do then there is the wriggle room..

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭pc11

Does Hanson say anything about weight training? I'm having a think about my plans for next year.

From the book:

There are many options for adding strength training to a running program. Our basic philosophy involves three main ideas: (1) It should complement the running regimen; strength work should never replace running. (2) It should improve weaknesses, muscle imbalances, and running form; in essence, strength training should help to improve running performance. (3) It should be short and simple.

Humphrey, Luke. Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way (p. 213). VeloPress. Kindle Edition.

The book doesn't prescribe any particular strength training regime, although there are specific dynamic warmup and stretching exercises.

Sounds like a good execution so far. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fair play, how did the 4x 1200s go for you?

I'm a week ahead, did the ladder session earlier today. Was great craic haha.

I missed that session the last time so was great to get it done.

• Advertisement

They were OK. 4:04 average pace, felt like puking at the end. Looking forward to a day off

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thehairygrape

Lurking around here for a while. Working out a plan for an August/September marathon and late May half.

On the Advanced program marathon plan. Apologies if these have been asked and answered before.

Easy run A vs Easy run B. I presume an easy run is anywhere within that range? The plan doesn’t specify which one is which.

Looking a long way ahead, the taper.

Just wondering the experiences of runners here on that. The 10 miles tempo with 10 days to go in particular. I suppose I’m not used to that amount of running in the last two weeks. Now, that could be a good thing.

Many thanks for all the input from everyone. I’ll put up my progress as I go along.

Advertisement