Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hansons Method

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

It's going well for me as a first time Hansons user. I'm enjoying the Tuesday and Thursday sessions. I can feel and see an improvement so that's a positive.

I was able to take off work for the summer with my kids so I could easily fit in all my runs. Now I'm back, it's going to be difficult to fit them in between my 12hr shifts. For example I was out this morning for 26k and I'm in now for a 12hr night shift. I also have another night tomorrow so I'm going to do my easy run when I get home at 0530. That will definitely add to the fatigue. However the end is in sight and I expect I can keep it up until the 29oct.

It's great to hear things are going well for everyone so far. Let's keep it up !

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I'm starting week 11 as a first timer on Hanson, following the Advanced Plan. I got COVID two weeks ago which kept me in bed for a day and a half. Took a few days off and then mostly kept up with the volume but at an easy pace. I ran the tempo run Friday just gone and feel like I'll be back in to it as prescribed as I prepare for DCM.

Excluding the two weeks I've been affected by COVID, I hit all paces quite comfortably, although I never really enjoy the speed intervals. Glad they are over actually as the strength paces look more down my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hanson really makes you love the oul Wednesdays 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

So true. Tuesday nights being the only drinking night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

First time Hanson user here and the load was too much as i ended up with a stress fracture on the foot. I came from a strong base but the increased miles was to much.

The Dublin 3 hour will have to wait for next year and review if Hanson is best suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Not the best conditions for those marathon pace tempos this week. 🥵

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the recovery will be straight forward and you can have a good crack at going sub 3 next year.

Yesterdays 13k tempo didn't go well at all. I knew before I started it was going to be very tough as I headed out about 11am, and didn't adjust the pace to the temp. About 8k into it, I just pulled up and needed a minute break as I had zero energy. I was completely bushed. I did get going again and managed to get to 12.5k after a couple more short breaks but decided then it was pointless trying to continue as it wasn't doing me good.

Now, on the flip side, I'm really looking forward to todays run after work. I will likely be hot but its an easy run today so should be great to get out.

The trick is to do them at 6am guys.

Was absolutely perfect conditions yesterday morning at that time.

Definitely need to adjust target pace running the middle of the day.

Thank god for this thread, I was feeling pretty deflated by the run yesterday. Only free time I had to run it was midday (alongside all the mad dogs and Englishmen ), usual strong headwind for the first half coupled with the heat and humidity meant paces really went out the window. I actually had to stop at the mid way point due to a stitch and just generally feeling like I couldn't continue. Got it all done and dusted about 20 seconds over pace on average but also ended it feeling absolutely wrecked. I'd forgotten how debilitating sweat pouring into your eyes is, another lovely addition to an awful session.

• Advertisement

What do people run their long runs at when doing Hanson's? I've read that it's one of the following:

1) Hanson's book table 3.5 - long runs appear to recommend a pace roughly 20 seconds slower than planned marathon pace. I have not tried this yet.

2) I've also read that Hanson's recommends 40 seconds slower than marathon pace. This is the pace I've ran my last few long runs at.

3) This calculator - Luke Humphrey's own - recommends a range 20 - 80 seconds slower than marathon pace. My pace falls roughly in the middle here.

If all I had to go by was the book I think I'd be wrecked now trying to manage MP + 20 but then again maybe that's what I should push for this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've always aimed at 40 secs slower than MP.

Not sure what you mean about table 3.5. My version of the book confirms 40 secs for most pace levels (it's a bit more at slower levels, a bit less at faster levels).

That calculator has a wider range - but Humphreys no longer works with the Hansons and has tweaked things a bit maybe. But the 40s is still within the wider range the calculator gives.

And don't forget half the long runs are at easy (1-2 mins slower than MP) anyway.

Oh interesting, maybe I've an out of date version of the book....see the above screenshot for the table I'm talking about from the book where they go through the paces for the various types of runs. Long runs here are recommended at MP + 20. There's a second page where the long runs are covered.

Also didn't know about half the long run being run at easy pace, that's entirely new to me. I've always run my long runs at MP + 40 with no easy pace.

I should really read the book fully: "The faster end of the long run spectrum is indicated in the moderate aerobic column."

Yeah, goal marathon pace +45 for me. Great sessions. The effort feels pretty close to what you'd be putting out in a marathon (with the benefit of the taper etc.).

That's what I'm doing too, although I'm working in metric so +30 secs

This is from the Kindle edition, v3.1.

When I said half the long runs, I didn't mean half of the length of the run, I meant half of the runs on the plan. i.e. every second Sunday run is easy, while the other is "Long", i.e. MP+40s / mile (+25s/k). I always did the easy ones as easy as possible!

And yes I'd read the book fully, the latest version if possible.

Currently in week 12 and today was probably the first time I really felt the program was starting to deliver. I ran the 4x1.5mile at the right pace and while I was still fatigued, I could feel strength in my legs and was able to motor along. This was after feeling completely bushed yesterday morning after Sundays long run, but yesterdays easy run really helped.

It will be interesting to see if this carries over to Thursdays 9 mile tempo.

Of course, the cooler weather makes it so much easier.

I signed up earlier this year for next week's half in the Phoenix Park. The coming weeks plan has a 27km run on Sunday but I'm thinking of doing that long run on Thursday instead of the tempo and doing the tempo as part of the half. I'll incorporate the warm up/cool down as part of the race as well.

The only downside is it means only one easy day between the Thursday long run and the Saturday tempo session.

Not ideal but I want to do the half.

Thoughts?

My advice would be to run Thursday's mileage easy and race the half. Then a few miles recovery on Sunday. Then back on plan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd agree with this, would make no sense to run 27km on Thursday and a half marathon on Saturday. If you are concerned about missing the long run you could add 2km wu and cd but really you will get as much benefit from the raced half than your usual long run.

• Advertisement

Yep, good time in the plan to add a race. Personally (and I'm conservative) I'd skip the Tues session the following week also, back on plan for the Thurs.

Thanks Folks.

When you say race it, do you mean go flat out or just go strong but not quite all out?

For context, my current PMP is 5:20 per km.

Manky run today and yesterday. Not a fan of running in rain.

If you’re racing, you’re racing. No point in deviating from the plan for anything but flat out!

Yeah, flat out. Bare in mind though that you've no mini taper and are in the middle of tough mara training, so don't expect a PB.

For your mara target a typical half pb would be around 1:43 - 1:45. I think if you come home under 1:47 you should be confident of 3:45.

Well, I am thrilled to report back that I came home in 1:44:36 (5 min PB), so I'm confident sub 3:45 is on the cards for Dublin.

So far, Hanson is delivering!

That's awesome news, delighted for you. Great running!!

Well done TR.

I also managed a 5 min PB on Saturday. I crossed in 1:33 . I'm very happy with it and my pacing was spot on.

I'm feeling like breaking 3:30 in Dublin is possible now. I have to say I'm enjoying Hansons for this block.

I hope everyone else's training is going well also. Not long to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Well done, using Hanson I had the same Half marathon as you and then ran a 3'02 in the same block. So don't be too conservative.

• Advertisement

Lol, 3:02... id break your arm for that time.

I plugged my time for the half and for the fingal 10k I to the pace calculator in this thread. Half time says 3:14 and 10k says 3:16....

Maybe I should aim a little better than 3:29:59 . I just don't want to go too hard and then blow up.

I appreciate your input though. Any of the other experienced guys like yourself, Murph, Lazare etc want to chime in and give an opinion. I'll take any and all feedback

Advertisement