Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Road-Hog wrote: »
    jasper100 wrote: »
    Pretty much.

Our cooks are regarded as the best in the business, providing wholesome and appetising meals with an agreeable array of menus to suit all your food requirements. The meals you are served on the mountain are also of the highest standard and designed to sustain you for the rigours of the ascent. For those with specific needs - we can cater to special dietary requirements.

Would love to know where one takes a dump or a no. 1.....during the 12 hours or more ‘push for the summit’......does some poor Sherpa have the task of holding a bucket and wiping rears followed by transporting the vile collection back down the mountain.....there are hardly port a loos / chemical toilets along the route.....?
    No most of it is not brought down. Disgustingly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

screamer wrote: »
    Did I read a Sherpa has to bring it down in a barrel, course it’d be frozen solid, which reminds me of the explorer many years ago, who dug his way out of an avalanche with, you guessed it his frozen poop

36719.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

tuxy wrote: »
    36719.JPG

That’s a sh!t job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    You sound like a man with a chip on your shoulder! Mustn't have got the funds to climb everest is it? Jealousy?

Aside from that, this thread has opened my eyes to everest and how it works, really fascinating stories shared, thanks to all. Unfortunate what happened to bring this here, but that is the risk of mountaineering.

For those criticising, I totally understand what you are saying re having a pregnant wife but it is also a once in a lifetime thing, she may have told him go and do it, you don't know the circumstances. I note the criticism is no way as high for the Irish girl with 4 young kids who wanted to go back up?!?!

There has been some criticism of her on this thread but naturally there won’t be as much because she is still alive. That fact alone would mean less attention is drawn to her. A lot of people probably even don’t know who was on the expedition with him. And I reeeeally hope this isn’t some tedious gender wars BS.

I think she was as crazy as him to go off with four dependents at home.

• Advertisement

redmgar wrote: »
    It really comes across as "I would climb Everest tomorrow, only its for kids" begrudgery, in reality they would struggle up the Sugarloaf.

A pub bore, who is an expert in everything such as government funding, mountain climbing and tax due on charity donations. The faux concern for the wife and kids of Lawless and the family of the Sherpas masking a bitterness of people who actually get up off their couch to try something.

The only one coming across bitter is you, tbh.

I’d say many people in this thread have achieved things you can only imagine. Scaling Everest is just one thing people can do.

And I am genuinely interested in the welfare of Sherpa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

There has been some criticism of her on this thread but naturally there won’t be as much because she is still alive. That fact alone would mean less attention is drawn to her. A lot of people probably even don’t know who was on the expedition with him. And I reeeeally hope this isn’t some tedious gender wars BS.

I think she was as crazy as him to go off with four dependents at home.

She's a bellend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Good vlog of an official Chinese team summiting in 2016.

https://youtu.be/ZeSqJK2Rais

I don't know if you need to climb Everest to get off the couch though. So I don't really think you can generalise that everyone who objects to what happens on Everest is a couch potato any more than everyone who climbs it is a wonderful hero living their best life.

Although I do agree with you to a certain extent, people hear or read that Everest is relatively easy in a climbing sense, this is compared to Annapurna or K2 and does not mean its easy. Sherpas don't carry you up the mountain its not a tour or a walk, of course its an impressive feat to do so.

However, a lot of people would argue its not worth your life, especially if you have kids. I am the first to admit I couldn't do it, I do admire the people who do it but there are huge problems with the number of people, the treatment of Sherpas and the rubbish. I got quite sick and 4000m so I wouldn't be able for base camp frankly, not a chance I would make it.

Its not black and white.

Some Sherpas will be saddled with slowpokes though, keeping them in the death zone longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

josip wrote: »
    Funny you mention the spliffs.
    One day I went up the Nameless Fangs from Gokyo, there was only 1 other guy doing it the same day.
    He offered me some hash at the top also, but I'd had a bad reaction from a pipe a few weeks earlier between Jiri and Lukla.

In Chile when trekking many folks would chew coca leaves to help with the altitude sickness. I put a few leaves in chewing gum and chewed away happily - not sure if it helped but I didn't suffer too bad from altitude, got lightheaded a few times but nothing serious. We got to 5,300m. Slow and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

jasper100 wrote: »
    They should have a priority lane for those who can afford it. $5K to skip the queue and a 5% improved survival rate.

In a way it's a bit like Ryanair alright. You can pay an extra tenner or whatever for priority boarding that entitles you to stand in the stairwell for an extra 30 minutes while the plebs who cant afford the privilege have to wait in the bar having another pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

simo28 wrote: »

"..the deaths of all three had been linked to the lengthy queues above 8,000 metres (26,200 ft) – known as the Death Zone."

If that photo didn't scare me enough then that sentence did. Sounds like absolute hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

She's a bellend

Just wanna say, I never called anyone a bellend, that was another forum member, so I hope this isn’t a jab!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Check out an interesting Spanish climber called Alex Txikon. He seems to have a death wish in trying to summit Everest in winter without supplemental Oxygen, He has already failed 2 attempts on Everest but at least lived to tell the tale. He is now looking at doing K2 in winter. Madness really.

https://www.mountainiq.com/alex-txikon-winter-everest-attempt/

https://explorersweb.com/2019/04/11/alex-txikon-troubled-k2-winter-base-camp/

"..the deaths of all three had been linked to the lengthy queues above 8,000 metres (26,200 ft) – known as the Death Zone."

If that photo didn't scare me enough then that sentence did. Sounds like absolute hell.

Long queues reported below the balcony also. Was a recovery mission ever a possibility in those conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how do you get down passed the line of people trying to get up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Saw this short report linked on youtube today, it focuses mainly on the role of the Sherpas and the dangers they are forced to face, and also touches on the dangers of rescues from the mountain. Worth a watch for some of the videos alone, like that of an avalanche about to hit base camp or what a frozen body actually moves like.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »

Traffic lights!

Kazzehh wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a little perspective on the motivation and thought processes of dedicated climbers - Free solo is starting on channel 4 now.

Some talent. Not one of the bellends climbing everest today would have the ability to even think about doing it.

Shows what climbing everest has become.

irishgeo wrote: »

I don't know how it's done but I do know it requires a very dangerous 2 or 3 hour wait at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Dante7 wrote: »
    Good vlog of an official Chinese team summiting in 2016.

https://youtu.be/ZeSqJK2Rais

The great thing about this video is that it is pure video of the expedition. It's not interspersed with made up video with a voiceover. It is a proper recording of an ascent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Check out an interesting Spanish climber called Alex Txikon. He seems to have a death wish in trying to summit Everest in winter without supplemental Oxygen, He has already failed 2 attempts on Everest but at least lived to tell the tale. He is now looking at doing K2 in winter. Madness really.

https://www.mountainiq.com/alex-txikon-winter-everest-attempt/

https://explorersweb.com/2019/04/11/alex-txikon-troubled-k2-winter-base-camp/

Reminds me of these hardy lads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OBX25ix4eU&t=3s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Looking at the picture of the queue is insane, but could they not make camp below the death zone (the name alone would deter me no end), and make the descent in due course, or is the window of opportunity so small that the side-effect of potential death was something you had to take?

And to think, I was despondent queuing for over an hour to get on the ferry to Ellis Island :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Saw this short report linked on youtube today, it focuses mainly on the role of the Sherpas and the dangers they are forced to face, and also touches on the dangers of rescues from the mountain. Worth a watch for some of the videos alone, like that of an avalanche about to hit base camp or what a frozen body actually moves like.

Felt very sorry for that poor young Sherpa who nearly died & lost all his fingers because his client was too arrogant to take his advice and abandon the climb when things went wrong.

He should have left the dumbass up there on his own for having such blatent disregard for not only his own life, but someone else’s. It’s just so ignorant and unjustifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Looking at the picture of the queue is insane, but could they not make camp below the death zone (the name alone would deter me no end), and make the descent in due course, or is the window of opportunity so small that the side-effect of potential death was something you had to take?

And to think, I was despondent queuing for over an hour to get on the ferry to Ellis Island :D

I believe you must be on the summit not later than 2pm in order to make it safely back to Camp 4 before nightfall. Also the amount of time spent in the Death Zone (above 8,000m.) is limited so those two criteria must be adhered to, ruling out any long waiting around for the summit bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you are talking about descending, then when it comes to altitude sickness then you really need to get down as far as you can as quick as you can, to get back into thicker air and stop depriving yourself of oxygen.

Just below the death zone (not that there is a defined death zone of course) is still at a very high altitude, its still only 30% oxygen in the air. Base camp might only be 50% and the other camps less than that, but they are still better than hanging about just outside the death zone.

People have still died despite making it back to camp 4, camping higher than that after a summit would be just asking for trouble, and thats without getting into the other dangers such as bad weather or problems with supply.

• Advertisement

Looking at the picture of the queue is insane, but could they not make camp below the death zone

More and more permits been sold by Nepal, a very poor country. China is much more strict about permits since they are not reliant on money made for permits.
    Even in May which is the best month to climb you only get a few days where weather is favourable.
    Large numbers just end up at Hillarys step at the same time as it's a narrow bottleneck.

Advertisement