Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yurt! wrote: »
    Direct your ire at the people who manage the mountain, the Nepalese government. You've been polluting this thread with crassness and disrespect for days now.

If I wanted someone 'who tells it like it is' I'd watch Trump on YouTube on loop for 10 hours.

Aye, “I’m just telling it like it is.” is a Jeremy Kyle-esque battle cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

redmgar wrote: »
    And dude......jaysus.

Remember you were telling us Seamus Lawlor had extensive mountaineering experience, any chance you can share a few of the facts on that with us please, instead of always ignoring the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

jasper100 wrote: »
    Remember you were telling us Seamus Lawlor had extensive mountaineering experience, any chance you can share a few of the facts on that with us please, instead of always ignoring the question.

Just telling it like it is dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You read all the information out there on Seamus Lawless so you know the answer already. Why do you insist on repeatedly asking the question? It's boring as fúck to have to scroll through the same question asked over and over...

Just telling it like it is dude.

Avoiding the answer as usual. To be expected of you at this stage.

• Advertisement

You read all the information out there on Seamus Lawless so you know the answer already. Why do you insist on repeatedly asking the question? It's boring as fúck to have to scroll through the same question asked over and over...

Why not have a go at the guy who made the statement with nothing factual to back himself up?

If he backed up what he said when asked you wouldn't have to be scrolling through pages of him being asked to backup what he said.

Avoiding the answer as usual. To be expected of you at this stage.

If his climbing experience that has already been listed doesn't meet your standard of extensive then I guess I will just have to get on with my life with that burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Why not have a go at the guy who made the statement with nothing factual to back himself up?

If he backed up what he said when asked you wouldn't have to be scrolling through pages of him being asked to backup what he said.

If he's not going to answer it, accept it and let it go. It stops being a thread where people can discuss their thoughts on the issue and becomes about you hectoring people.

If his climbing experience that has already been listed doesn't meet your standard of extensive then I guess I will just have to get on with my life with that burden.

He skipped the recommended 8000m+ warmup climb bit because he was in a rush and now he is dead.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

An interview with Lawless was posted on the thread. In it, he lists his mountaineering experience. Whether that experience is extensive, well, nobody can tell you what to think there. But the information has been supplied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Any update on the renewed rescue attempt of Mr. Lawless's body?

News from the death zone does not come in like the ticker on Sky News.

Anyone that is part of the search is at C4, exhausted at this stage with very limited time to search due to supplies of oxygen, weather, their own health etc.

So they probably have no news to relay to base camp.

As has been suggested here before a recovery effort could literally take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭styo

News from the death zone does not come in like the ticker on Sky News.

Anyone that is part of the search is at C4, exhausted at this stage with very limited time to search due to supplies of oxygen, weather, their own health etc.

So they probably have no news to relay to base camp.

As has been suggested here before a recovery effort could literally take years.

the report is that they found a crampon but could not find any sign of him. They did find a 'huge crevasse' below the balcony area where he is believed to have fallen, and the suspicion in that he fell down into it. The chairman of seven treks describes the crevasse as 'highly inaccessible'.

styo wrote: »
    the report is that they found a crampon but could not find any sign of him. They did find a 'huge crevasse' below the balcony area where he is believed to have fallen, and the suspicion in that he fell down into it. The chairman of seven treks describes the crevasse as 'highly inaccessible'.
    Is there a legitimate source for this Styo?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭styo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thanks to the poster of the youtube video of the chinese group from the North side, fascinating watch.

He mentioned they were 3rd time at 7000 (north col) in that expedition (if I understood correctly). Do climbers on the south side do the same to aclimatise? (would that be camp 4?).

How much weight do the ropes hold, I was amazed at some stages how many seemed connected and pulling on it with their 'hook things?'

The struggle he had from 7300 was unreal. How they climb to the summit in the middle of the night, I'd be delirious, how they keep their concentration to climb is amazing. Seeing the dead body was so sureal. The ladder sections looked so dodgy, unbelieve to watch it.

Id say once you summit you won't want to come down. The adrenalin rush must be amazing, but then you have the hard part of climbing down again.

Is it a much harder climb from the north side? Do more people die on the decscents due to being in the dead zone? tiredness? or just bad luck? If you climb up the north side can you descent the south side? Any climbers know?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

styo wrote: »

At least they tried, hopefully that gives the family some solace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

pc7 wrote: »
    Thanks to the poster of the youtube video of the chinese group from the North side, fascinating watch.

He mentioned they were 3rd time at 7000 (north col) in that expedition (if I understood correctly). Do climbers on the south side do the same to aclimatise? (would that be camp 4?).

How much weight do the ropes hold, I was amazed at some stages how many seemed connected and pulling on it with their 'hook things?'

The struggle he had from 7300 was unreal. How they climb to the summit in the middle of the night, I'd be delirious, how they keep their concentration to climb is amazing. Seeing the dead body was so sureal. The ladder sections looked so dodgy, unbelieve to watch it.

Id say once you summit you won't want to come down. The adrenalin rush must be amazing, but then you have the hard part of climbing down again.

Is it a much harder climb from the north side? Do more people die on the decscents due to being in the dead zone? tiredness? or just bad luck? If you climb up the north side can you descent the south side? Any climbers know?

Not a climber, but I think 3-4 times more die on the way back down than the way up due to: running out of oxygen, onset of AMS, tiredness, deteriorating weather/snow conditions.

I don't think any climber would plan to go up one side and down the other.
    You'd have to duplicate your entire support network of people and equipment as well as paying the permits on both sides that help pay for the fixed ropes etc.
    Plus I'd prefer to descend via a route I'd already seen that day and was familiar to me than an unfamiliar one.
    Some climbers may have done it in the past out of necessity or to be the first to do it, but it would be very unusual.
    It''s not like the next day you can get a bus around from Tibetan base camp back to the Nepalese base camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Terribly tragic story, and terribly interesting thread. The stories are absolutely fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

are you a toddle by any chance, cause your train of thought is exactly like one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ha. Its great for about 15 minutes, then you remember how utterly ****e you feel and all you want to do is get the **** out of there.

I haven't been as high as Everest, but I can't imagine its any different up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Which video was this? Would you mind posting it again I think I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Just hope all the Sherpas make it back down now in full health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You can drive to base camp on the Tibet side so you don't acclimatise by walking there like in Nepal. They usually do smaller peaks to acclimatise and train.

Less people climb from the North side so there are less deaths. Most people die coming down from the altitude and cold. Fatigue is connected to this. You wouldn't really descend the other side as you would have no supports such as tents or oxygen. I think it has been done once or twice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

josip wrote: »
    Not a climber, but I think 3-4 times more die on the way back down than the way up due to: running out of oxygen, onset of AMS, tiredness, deteriorating weather/snow conditions.

I don't think any climber would plan to go up one side and down the other.
    You'd have to duplicate your entire support network of people and equipment as well as paying the permits on both sides that help pay for the fixed ropes etc.
    Plus I'd prefer to descend via a route I'd already seen that day and was familiar to me than an unfamiliar one.
    Some climbers may have done it in the past out of necessity or to be the first to do it, but it would be very unusual.
    It''s not like the next day you can get a bus around from Tibetan base camp back to the Nepalese base camp.

A traverse of Everest has been done by a number of climbers. A double traverse has also been completed (up the Nepalese side, down the Tibetan. Rest a few days then up again).

are you a toddle by any chance, cause your train of thought is exactly like one

What's a toddle?

Which video was this? Would you mind posting it again I think I missed it

Here you go, amazing watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSqJK2Rais

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

With any luck, the grieving family and fellow climbers of Seamus Lawless will finally see sense and accept the fact that his body (like the vast majority of victims of Everest) will remain on the mountain. I really feared that someone else would lose their life in the bid to recover the body.

Hopefully, the organisers of the GFM campaign will also see sense and refund what money is possible and donate the rest to Barratstown minus what was spent on the recovery attempt.

This Everest lark is a grotesque clusterfcuk and a huge disaster just waiting to happen and considering what it's become, I really can't see why anyone would pay huge sums and seriously risk their lives to climb it.

I really can't see why anyone would pay huge sums and seriously risk their lives to climb it.

After reading here and watching a few videos I can see why mountain climbers (who have a gra for the sport) would want to climb it. As opposed to climbing tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

What's a toddle?

my bad a toddler :), sticky keyboard

Sending lads up, putting pressure on them to go looking for someone who is clearly dead is bad form in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From today's report on the search for the missing climber
    The team conducted an extensive ground search covering the area between 6,600 m to 8,300 m till this afternoon,” Sherpa quoted the search team members as saying. The team couldn’t find any clue to the missing professor, he said. Based on the information shared by the rescuers, it is suspected that Lawless had fallen into crevasse and perished, Sherpa said. “The team reportedly visualised a huge crevasse below the balcony area from where Lawless’s crampon was recovered,” Sherpa described, “The crevasse is highly inaccessible.”

The ground search is almost over for now, Sherpa added. “As a last-ditch attempt, we are preparing to conduct an aerial search for missing Lawless, depending on weather condition, either later today or tomorrow,” Sherpa concluded.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/sherpas-recover-indian-climbers-bodies-on-mt-makalu-ground-team-finds-no-trace-of-irish-professor-on-mt-everest/

Advertisement