Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Park Ireland closed this weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im hoping you re right, but the longer this goes on, my gut is telling me otherwise, id say theyre sitting on a lot of debt there, and the banks wont wait

Looks as though you were right :( a post on Facebook from BPI

DISPERSAL BIKE AND GEAR SALE.

Hi Everyone.
    As I'm sure you are all aware, we are unfortunately still closed.
    And with time passing by and with ongoing commitments to the banks etc and with no income from the Bike Park we must sell off all our bikes straightaway - new and ex rental. Please spread the word as all the new bikes need to be sold this weekend and all the ex rentals must be gone by the 28th.
    All new bikes are being sold at cost price. Everything must go so there is some great bargains to be had.

Various sizes, specs and conditions listed below.

IT'S POSSIBLE TO VIEW THESE BIKES (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY) THIS SATURDAY BETWEEN 10AM - 2PM, by calling Graham on 0872831454 or send us a fb message.

Bikes Available are as follows:

Kona Bikes 2019
    New Hei Hei Trail 27.5 (M) €1600
    New Big Honzo 27.5 (M) €800
    New Honzo 20" kids €350
    New Honzo 24" kids €450
    New Kahuna 29 (M/L) €700
    New Lanai 27.5 (XS) €450
    New Blast 27.5 (L) €650
    New/Demo Satori DL 29" (M) €2000
    New/Demo Process 153 AL/DL (M) €2000

Trek Bikes 2019
    New/Demo Rosco 7 (Size 18.5) €700
    New/Demo Remedy 7 (Size 18.5) €1600
    New Rosco 6 (Size 19.5) SOLD
    New Marlin 5 (Size 13.5) SOLD

All X-rental bikes below are fully serviced and come with a brand new dropper post. Most of the Bikes were bought earlier in the year and haven't been used much - certainly not since mid May as we've been closed since then.

Kona Bikes 2019
    X-rental Process 153 Al 29" (M /L) €1750
    X-rental Process 153 Al 27.5 (M/L/XL) €1750
    X-rental Process 153 SE 27.5 ( L) €1400
    X-rental Process 134 (XS) €1400

Also new full face/open helmets, shorts, gloves etc that must also go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

iwillhtfu wrote:
    Looks as though you were right a post on Facebook from BPI

Jesus this is dreadful news, I feel very sorry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

Ah f***

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll just post this as it may be lost in the comments on that fb link.

From Bpi
    "Thanks for all the comments. It’s very important to make it clear that we WILL reopen, we are just TEMPORARILY closed - but for how long we don’t quite know but we WILL reopen that is for certain but we must move on the stock ASAP."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Ah I can't see them cost 50k each :eek: but then judging by the money being pissed away in Coolaney and the blooms it wouldn't surprise me.
    Ah right yeah I guess that's the case when you get designers etc involved to used to just heading up the hill with a mattock,saw and barrow myself :D

Bit late but from the volunteer trail group building/maintenance stuff I have been around here in Sheffield, I've heard numbers that easily reach £30k+ (and that'd be for trails that aren't at crazy elevations either so not awkward to build) so €50K doesn't seem like that much of a stretch accounting for differing terrain, etc. So much more involved in it than getting a wheelbarrow and a few spades alas, from plant-hire to legal fees involved regards submissions/planning permission, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

according to bike park owners, thats how much it cost them, id say they have no reason to lie to me about it. they were extremely impressed by the company they got in to build originally, sounded very professional, they turned up with men and equipment needed for the job.
    Ah right yeah I guess that's the case when you get designers etc involved to used to just heading up the hill with a mattock,saw and barrow myself :D

I believe The Gap used a guy from bike park wales and inside scoop is they're planning another jump line or two in the near future. :)
    BPI was built by the same guys, Rowan Sorrel's back on track solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

xxyyzz wrote: »
    BPI was built by the same guys, Rowan Sorrel's back on track solutions

He could be doing a lot more work in Ireland too if the powers that be had any sense instead of using the crowds they're using for years who don't have a clue.

I'm pretty sure he was the second choice for Coillte after Daffyd Davis got sick in new Zealand. He did some surveying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Incidentally, there was a fatal accident at the park in 2017. Is it possible that this is connected with the closure?

http://tippfm.com/news/investigations_are_underway_following_a_fatal_mountain_bike_accident_in_nor/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

From recollection (I didn't click in to that article) the man that died had a pre existing heart condition and went in to cardiac arrest while coming down a trail. Wasn't an accident as such.

• Advertisement

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Incidentally, there was a fatal accident at the park in 2017. Is it possible that this is connected with the closure?

http://tippfm.com/news/investigations_are_underway_following_a_fatal_mountain_bike_accident_in_nor/
    The issue is the same for adventure tourism businesses across the country, nobody will even provide them with a quote. They were all insured with an English company which has pulled out of the Irish market this year due to brexit uncertainty. Irish insurers won't touch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Big Nasty wrote: »
    From recollection (I didn't click in to that article) the man that died had a pre existing heart condition and went in to cardiac arrest while coming down a trail. Wasn't an accident as such.

No I don't think it was a heart attack he was a member of Team Ballyhoura but in anycase as bad it sounds death is usually a better result for insurance companies than a traumatic injury. As mentioned all of the risks are clearly spelled out in the waiver you sign beforehand.

I'd say more deaths occur each week from people being overly sedentary. It's a case of insurance companies cherry picking low risk coverage but still charging high premiums. It's an absolute disgrace what's happening at BPI and many other outdoor recreation companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised we even had an outside company offering insurance considering they won't touch us for car insurance.

Was anyone in touch with bike park today, just wondering how the sale is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

BPI selling off more stuff today folks,If in the area or fancy a drive and need anything,give them a shout and help them out.Not just bikes going, they are clearing accessories and gear too,pics up on FB

Anyone head done to pick up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

It's a long way to go for a bargain, and I didn't think there were any real bargains were to be had when I looked at the stock and their prices, considering it's all secondhand, to varying extents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They had a new fleet at cost price didn't they, not just recent rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

DaveyDave wrote: »
    They had a new fleet at cost price didn't they, not just recent rentals?
    They did, along with new helmets, jerseys and other accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Slightly off topic but I see the bmx track in tramore valley park (cork) has been closed for weeks due to an insurance issue. A cx race due to take part is looking unlikely as CI insurance isnt considered adequate by the council. Yet plenty of cx races happening outside the city on council grounds. I assume the key difference is city council vs county council. Big waste of our money spent on amenities that cant be used.

• Advertisement

Peter T wrote:
    Slightly off topic but I see the bmx track in tramore valley park (cork) has been closed for weeks due to an insurance issue. A cx race due to take part is looking unlikely as CI insurance isnt considered adequate by the council. Yet plenty of cx races happening outside the city on council grounds. I assume the key difference is city council vs county council. Big waste of our money spent on amenities that cant be used.

This is fcuking ridiculous at this stage, the whole country will eventually be shut over this

This is fcuking ridiculous at this stage, the whole country will eventually be shut over this

I see the insurance issue hasn't made the agenda of the Cycling Ireland AGM.

Wasted opportunity.

rizzodun wrote: »

Wasted opportunity.

Big time, especially as its moving away from just effecting the extreme end and causing issues for more regular and sedate cycling.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/waterford-greenway-businesses-face-closure-due-to-cycling-insurance/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wasted opportunity.
    Nothing they can do unless someone brings it up, you could still bring it up alongside proposals for the issue in AOB

I suppose bringing it up means nothing unless someone has a workable solution, or the alternative would be that you pass a motion that directs the board or a committee to look into the issue and come up with proposals or solutions

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing they can do unless someone brings it up, you could still bring it up alongside proposals for the issue in AOB

I suppose bringing it up means nothing unless someone has a workable solution, or the alternative would be that you pass a motion that directs the board or a committee to look into the issue and come up with proposals or solutions

Or they simply start lobbying the government to look into solutions. Isn't that why we have elected representatives?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-cyclocross-event-cancelled-over-insurance-dispute-fears-for-road-races/

Someone would want to start taking note, insurance companies and organisations afraid of being sued holding every activity based amenity to ransom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

prunudo wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-cyclocross-event-cancelled-over-insurance-dispute-fears-for-road-races/

Someone would want to start taking note, insurance companies and organisations afraid of being sued holding every activity based amenity to ransom.

But that story makes no sense? They insisted on a form of insurance that didn't exist?

But that story makes no sense? They insisted on a form of insurance that didn't exist?

Thats what I mean, the council are so afraid of being sued they want insurance cover that doesn't even exist. The government can jump up and down all they want about people being healthy and telling us to get active. Activity based businesses and events will contuine to close or be cancelled until they address both the claims culture and insurance in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Totally nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Or they simply start lobbying the government to look into solutions. Isn't that why we have elected representatives?

But they need the push to do it. If there is time, we should bring it up at the AGM under AOB but we need a coherent and reasonable proposal.

Propose a motion that CI will actively lobby local councils and government against such actions. That it will provide assurance that competitors at said events will sign off that they will not hold the council liable (although i am fairly sure we do that anyway for most events). That they will actively lobby the minister for sport to support their proposal.

Local clubs also need to pick a councillor each, and target them for support, have it brought up at meetings, make it clear through every family and friend who can remention the issue that anything that takes away the local community, and childrens, ability to partake in sport, will be met with strong opposition at the ballot box.

Obviously needs more thinking and better wording but I would support it, as would pretty much every club unless I read the mood of the federation wrong.

Advertisement