Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Park Ireland closed this weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭prunudo

Peter T wrote: »
    Rumours that the GAP is facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them

I'd imagine every activity based business is in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

jvan wrote: »
    I'd imagine every activity based business is in the same boat.

No need to imagine, they're literally closing weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Rumours that the GAP is facing a similar situation come policy renewal time for them
    Any idea when that might be? Just so we can try pay them a visit to show support before its too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Rather than start rumours about another business, can we wait until any given business makes official comment on the matter rather than potentially harming a businesses reputation. Y'know, common sense and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Fair call but at the rate places are closing currently I wouldn't hold my breath. Common sense and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fair call but at the rate places are closing currently I wouldn't hold my breath. Common sense and all that

No, it's not common sense; it's speculation. Where did you hear this "rumour" from? If it wasn't from the horses mouth, then putting it out there like it's fact in print is just a d1ck thing to do, creating uncertainty among customers and any interactions between businesses for services or work being possibly delayed or cancelled for fear of losing money, adding further pressure that quite simply might not have been an issue before any rumour-mill gets started.

Not from the horses mouth. As I said, just a rumor I heard from a regular. Ill change my original comment for the non rational thinking people of the internet world. Everything is grand drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Peter T wrote:
    Not from the horses mouth. As I said, just a rumor I heard from a regular. Ill change my original comment for the non rational thinking people of the internet world. Everything is grand drive on

Humans are not rational beings, whether it be on the Internet's or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm lost, is all this hand-wringing over the fact someone mentioned The Gap or activity businesses in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if this whole thing has shown anything to me its the support and love we as mtbers have for these businesses, i dont think any of this has tarnished BPI's (or other adventure businesses) reputation in the slightest bit, only the crap shady insurance companies and usless regulations in place in this country. I am 100% sure everyone of us would gladly head to BPI tomorrow if we could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

https://mobile.twitter.com/InsuranceRefIre

Hope this is the start of some action regarding exaggerated insurance claims

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

seems like BPI is listed for cycling irelands bike fest, wonder how thats working, gonna head to show support if it is.

60860597_2187950677960391_2907181930082467840_n.jpg

seems like BPI is listed for cycling irelands bike fest, wonder how thats working, gonna head to show support if it is.

60860597_2187950677960391_2907181930082467840_n.jpg

Possibly because its a cycling Ireland event their insurance would cover it.
    But fingers crossed that they have it sorted by then although I didn't notice any updates this week which is disappointing and worrying.

I assume they're fcuked at this stage?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I assume they're fcuked at this stage?

Certainly the longer it goes on the worse it's looking. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

Big disappointment if it slips to the side. They provide a great service and are in the ideal location to attract customers from a fairly wide span. We've nothing else like it at the moment down south. We have the odd uplift day in some locations but nothing comes close to bike park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

This was posted on the IDMS facebook page. There was supposed to be a downhill event hosted at BPI. Fingers crossed!
    Guys, Graham at Bike Park Ireland has asked me to post the following message regarding Round 3 of the 2019 Nukeproof IDMS;

"It is with great regret, due to the ongoing insurance crisis Bike Park Ireland is not in a position to reopen for the 3rd round of the IDMS in June. The plan is to reschedule this round later in the season when Bike Park Ireland reopens. Bike Park Ireland apologizes for any inconvenience caused and hopes to reopen again sometime in July."

I am sure everyone wishes Graham and his team well and hope that the insurance crisis can be resolved sooner rather than later.

More uncertainty and no real news on reopening. Terrible considering it should be their busiest time of year.

Taken from facebook;

Latest news as of 8th July 2019

Due to the ongoing National Insurance Crisis in Ireland we are unfortunately Still Closed.

We are still trying everything to reopen the Bike Park as soon as possible but unfortunately we are not there yet. We appreciate that this is very frustrating for you as it is for us too.

Realistically at this stage we won’t be reopen before August. But as soon as we have news we will let everyone know.

Thanks a million for your patience and continued support.

Kind regards,
    Graham, Sandi and the BPI Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was only wondering at lunch what was happening. They've a great set up there, it really is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What a joke, and having read through the thread, and googled, there are a number of other outdoor adventure companies who have closed or may close in the near future due to ridiculous premium hikes. God knows what damage being closed for the first 2 months of the high season is doing to this business while they try and resolve this. It's hard to see how other businesses like GAP etc. will not run into similar difficulties. Hopefully something is done quickly to help resolve this, the ongoing Brexit drama is clearly influencing the ability to use UK insurers as mentioned, and with no sign of that being sorted in any kind of positive manner, this could be a long term, crippling issue for the entire industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Nothing will be done until it starts hitting football gaa and golf clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Dingle climbing wall has been closed in Kerry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

caff wrote: »
    Nothing will be done until it starts hitting football gaa and golf clubs

GAA Clubs, yeah. Nobody gives AF about Golf Clubs. In fact The GAP is a former golf club.

I know a small family business that is currently closing due to an outrageous insurance hike, this is fcuked up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Surprised local TD Alan Kelly hasn't been more vocal on this, he is typically an opportunist who will use any chance to boost his own profile by championing a local and topical cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Dingle climbing wall has been closed in Kerry :(

Jesus is any sort of physical activity safe? A bloody climbing wall? I was there a few years ago, even on the beginner wall where a person was required to counter weight you I didn't have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Jesus is any sort of physical activity safe?
    Not in Ireland it would seem :(

Top Dog wrote: »
    Not in Ireland it would seem :(

Yet we are constantly being encouraged to be more active and get out and be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

• Advertisement

covey123 wrote:
    More activities about to get hit,major UK leisure insurance firm backing out of Ireland

Fcuking hell

Advertisement